Sniper 2.0 PTS!

paowee

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A question about the PvP 2 set bonus for hybrid: I understand it makes orbital strike tick longer, but does it actually also increase damage accordingly?

Mind you I'm playing a gunslinger, so I'm not sure if it behaves the same (but it should)....

I had the feeling the pvp set bonus just increases the duration of orbital strike (or xs freighter, in slinger terms) so you can defend a node longer but that it does not actually increase the overall damage as it just spreads the same amount of damage to a longer duration.

Or am I completely off here?

It's just like when you spec into the extra duration of Corrosive Dart, it basically adds one tick of damage equal to the other ticks onto it. So say without the set bonus you get 3 ticks for 2k each that total up to 6k. With the set bonus rather than getting 4 ticks for 1.5k each to total 6k each tick hits for 2k still, bringing you up to 8k damage over the duration. Increasing the duration will not lower your damage per tick.

What I am wondering is how are you guys getting the pvp set bonus for pve? Are you using old 63 armorings from BM shells or the new pvp armorings?

I'm not claiming those stats to be the optimal stats for PTS! It's just personal preference and from what ive gathered reading the PTS and other people's posts. I don't have any proof or math that an all power build is going to give you the most DPS. :o

I use the 52 Cunning/40 power mods yes.

I would actually see you try MM with power/alacrity enhancements, so far your rotation is way better then mine :p

I would actually see you try MM with power/alacrity enhancements, so far your rotation is way better then mine :p

oh please no MM with 0% Alacrity ( i didnt take the skill that increases it) is too button mashy already! I don't think i can take 1 sec cast time abilities >_<; just finished last boss of HMS&V and marks is very hectic and fast paced to play. very opposite of the dot spec where your abilities flow steadily and smoothly one after the other >_<.

I'd recommend learning marksman for that boss fight especially if you're on add duty. too many target switches going on..

Also I ran Full Engineering for arena and titan boss and I have to say it is very viable and very competitive :D for those boss fights. Their hit circle is big enough so that you can roll through them diagonally and have all your scatter bombs hit.

1st boss - died halfway and raid downed the boss :(

Titan 6 - Full Engi!

Arena - Full Engi!

City boss - Was MM because I was on add duty

Puzzle - MM is a good spec for Phase 1 in the 2nd floor (adds spawn at intervals, and have low enough health that MM's burst > DoT sustained DPS.

Council - I went DoT spec since there's no target switches/adds at all

Last boss - I went MM, a lot of target switches in this fight

http://www.torparse.com/g/2877

What I am wondering is how are you guys getting the pvp set bonus for pve? Are you using old 63 armorings from BM shells or the new pvp armorings?

Exactly my question: On 2.0. you will obviously have to use PVP-Armorings, since setbonus is exclusively on armorings in pve and pvp.

But what about live, I haven't been doing pvp there? Do I only need a War Hero shell and it will carry the setbonus or will I have to grind for two Elite War Hero pieces to get two 63 armorings to obtain the setbonus? And if the latter applies, this will mean a decrease in main stat on two slots, right? Does it even make sense at all then, if you lose PvE damage on ALL OTHER ABILITIES for that one more tick of orbital strike that isn't even always part of the single target rotation as hybrid?

*scratchingmyheadandwondering*

Exactly my question: On 2.0. you will obviously have to use PVP-Armorings, since setbonus is exclusively on armorings in pve and pvp.

But what about live, I haven't been doing pvp there? Do I only need a War Hero shell and it will carry the setbonus or will I have to grind for two Elite War Hero pieces to get two 63 armorings to obtain the setbonus? And if the latter applies, this will mean a decrease in main stat on two slots, right? Does it even make sense at all then, if you lose PvE damage on ALL OTHER ABILITIES for that one more tick of orbital strike that isn't even always part of the single target rotation as hybrid?

*scratchingmyheadandwondering*

On Live pvp bonuses are bound to armorings, unless you have battlemaster shells (which are not obtainable anymore).

At first have to say big thanks to paowee for your devoted presence on Sniper forums.As a main sniper myself for a year i got my knowledge from mmo-mechanics but you continued here a much bether guides,especialy for a 2.0 PTS changes that were brought to snipers community.

Now for the topic, im playing full lehality since i first hit lvl50 and went into Operations ,when i compare styles of 3 main spec`s + hybrids its a well known that MM is stationary machinegun ,Eng is most valuable player ,Lethality can be active while on the slight move and cover is not a must for some skills.Not many things are changing in these way when 2.0 comes into play,tho i must admit that following paowee parses MM tree is getting deserved dmg output when he is left on his own e.g.Operation Dummies.

following suggestions from here i went on PTS with

Full Lethality 7/3/36

1330 power

0 crit

432 accuracy

144 surge/alacrity

http://www.torparse.com/a/154550/time/1362489274/1362489590/0/Overview 2444dps

but having 200ms ping constantly i cant trust on my APM in parses

my rotation looks like :

starting with (shattershot)OS - CD - CG - [adrenal/relic/TA] - WB - Cull - TD - SoS - Cull - TD - Ambush

and continue with normal rotation CD - CG - WB - Cull - TD - Sos - Cull - TD - Ambush with OS on every CD and casting it instead of Ambush in rotation bound with Adrenal Probe and relic+TA after every second OS

i had no energy problems and rotation was consistent ,used 1 time riffle shot after OS in hope to skip adrenal probe but it came later on anyway tho it wasnt stresfull

Can you guys help me bring the attention of developers to this thread? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5958061#post5958061

I am starting to hate that MM has become the new arsenal "tracer missle" snipe spam. Forcing us to spam double snipes, sucks.

Yeah, I've honestly just started accepting the 1 snipe bonus and 2 second ambush at this point. I'm not sure taking the 1.4-1.5 seconds to do another meh damage snipe is worth the extra .5 cd on ambush. If I happen to do two snipes then thats fine, but I'm not 'forcing' myself to do it.

I'm not convinced alarcity is the way to go over surge. It takes a lot of work to get alarcity to a decent level (8%) in 2.0. Whereas in live, it just takes two skill points and alarcity on 2 items (I use the medic implants).

Scaling of all attributes is just brutal in 2.0.

Of course I could be proven wrong, and am entirely open to this.

On PTS yesterday I saw a sniper really geared out. He had MK-9 power/en augments, basically all power geared out, low crit, decent surge. Whereas I am geared how I basically am in live - higher crit. The comparitives: He had 1740 max rifle damage, and 21% crit. I have 1620-30 (trying to remember, it was low 1600s) max rifle damage and 26% crit.

Now, I would have more damage if I upgraded augments, that'd reduce that some. No idea how much as people put stupid prices on them and I don't feel like copying over my character 30 times to afford them. The difference in rifle damage between 252 main stat and 392 power is fairly big.

Edited by islander

On the 2pc PVP bonus, yes they are tied to the WH armorings in LIVE. However I am using the 2pc Battlemaster shell because I had one saved from before they were removed from the game. Placing the arkanian PVE armoring into them in the PTS removed the pvp bonus. What I am using right now in the PTS is basically a crafted 63 armoring placed on the battlemaster shell.

If I use live's WH armorings i end up with lower cunning.

If I use Campaign/Arkanian pve armorings it removes the 2pc pvp bonus.

The best choice then would be a 63 level crafted armoring that I am using in live. Come 2.0 i will try see if a crafted 69 or 72 armoring will let me keep the 2pc pvp bonus. If not I will keep on using the 63 crafted armoring to retain my pvp bonus.

My latest feedback:

IMO Marauder (any spec) > MM Sniper.

Marauder vs DoT spec sniper.. still up in the air for me (as im mostly on adds. And for those i respec MM.

Engi sniper = absolutely OP for Arena or titan-boss (due to big hit circles). I was able to do competitive DPS last night despite running in with an impromptu rotation.

Last night's HMS&V:

1. Dashroode = was ENGI. Died :(, boss downed. (Engi's a bit tricky in this fight due to the knockback and it will depend largely on your raid's positioning of the boss. It's hit circle isn't as big as Titan or Arena boss but there are a lot of adds for you to AoE.
  2. Titan 6 = was ENGI. Died, was res'd :(, boss downed.
  3. Arena dinosaur boss = was ENGI, #1. Marauders were on add duty up top
  4. City boss = was MM, #2 behind Marauder (adds for final boss fight hits hard and must be killed as fast as you can. I speccd MM simply because it is easier on target switches)
  5. Puzzle boss = was MM #1 for 2nd floor and 1st floor before boss. #2 behind Marauder in 2nd floor boss phase.
  6. Council bosses = was Hybrid, #1 (no adds to target switch to)
  7. Kell Dragon / Last boss = was MM #2, behind Marauder

The parse is in the previous page but it is messy and does not include all the fights (and boss names). Engi really interests me now and I will test it out more in raids :p

On another note, I feel that this thread should have been on the PTS forums and we do have a lot of feedback... Anyone think it is a good idea to copy the OP into the PTS? The original post has a lot of feedback from players (spoiler tag) and it should be good info for the Devs (in the hopes that they sift through all those).

Edited by paowee

On another note, I feel that this thread should have been on the PTS forums and we do have a lot of feedback... Anyone think it is a good idea to copy the OP into the PTS? The original post has a lot of feedback from players (spoiler tag) and it should be good info for the Devs (in the hopes that they sift through all those).

As a daily lurker in this thread, I think it's a great idea. It can't hurt

Did Professional set get updated compared to 2 weeks before? I haven't checked PTS. I am curious what set bonuses they will bring as well as stats. It's hard to predict what do they intend for this set.

At first I had hoped for new set bonuses also, but I think all it will be is a fourth option to bring us in line with the other classes. I'm pretty sure Marauders were also given a new set without new set bonuses. I think the idea will be that with four sets of options we won't need to worry about not being able to get individual Underworld item modifications crafted.

Hello! Ok so even though there's a thread out in the sniper forum already i thought id' still post this here (it is still in the PTS anyways :D

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609256 Is the Sniper forums thread. The basic write-up/guide is complete and the only things missing are 1) more in-game footage, to prove that Full Engineering is viable and 2) raid parses to show that it is competitive and can do more DPS than Full MM or Hybrid. They should be up by Wed / Thurs this week.

PVE 2.0 The New Explosive Engineer (raiding and rotations as Full Engineering Sniper) http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=609271

is is the corresponding thread on the PTS.

Removed the older video and uploaded a new 1020P one

Edited by paowee

So what is this supposedly OP Lethality spec that's doing all of this damage in warzones, and whsts the 'basic' rotation?

I want to test it out.

It's basically CG spam. Multiple Lethality Snipers in a warzone dotting everything then using Cull. multiple aoe spammable dots causing damage over time pressure on the healers while fluffing damage done (from what i've read and is supposedly overpowered as claimed by many people in the "Snipers... Gunslingers... (PVP)" thread in the pts).

OP updated.

Edited by paowee

I bet they will put a cd on corrosive grenade

It sure sounds like it. I was looking at the tree, making up a logical build to try tonight, and I was like "Wow...okay...I can imagine how this might actually go if I knew what I was doing..."

Hey guys just adding it to the pts thread, 2.0 full engineering single target pve rotation. minus covered escape.

without covered escape this is usually around 2400 for me. with covered escape can do around 2900.

Edited by paowee