Critique deception opener

CBRGhostRider

Hopefully my fellow assassins can help me optimize this opener. Any suggestions/comments welcome:

This is what I do:

0. While in stealth pop recklessness, now I have 3 stacks for discharge.

1. Spike

2. Maul

2.5. If needed Shroud (Usually at this point, it's ZOMG panic-mode, and he is just getting up off the ground. The tendency is to pop a knockback, especially if he is a sniper or ranged class, or some kind of stun).

3. Discharge

4. Chain shock

5 Blackout

5.5 If kiter, Force slow (mine is talented for the longer slow in the tree)

6. VS

7. VS

8. Low slash (10.5 sec, so it should proc duplicity)

9. Maul

10. Assassinate

10.5 Chain shock (if not dead)

Note 1: With the GCD of 1.5 sec, you need 7 (7 * 1.5 = 10.5 sec) attacks including the spike, after which duplicity will proc again for low slash.

Note 2: If any attacks prior to 7 cause duplicity to proc separately, either I try to get around him, or electrocute and then step behind for a maul. Then I follow up w/ low slash and maul... yes his resolve will be full w/ the 3rd stun, but by then he's close to dead.

Note 3: the steps labeled x.5 are optional.

Note 4: If I do end up using shroud, I end up using slow as well, and just skipping the VS... the increased force regen from blackout should allow for a full cost chain shock after step 10.

An alternative opener using 0/31/15 could be:

1. Spike

2. Maul

2a. Electrocute

2b. Recklessness

3. Discharge

4. Deah Field

5. Shock

6. Thrash*

7. Thrash*

8. Low Slash

9. Crushing Darkness**

10. Maul

11. Assassinate

One advantage being that since you have 3 hard-hitting Force attacks, the burst becomes more front loaded as you don't need to wait for Shock to come off cooldown to consume the third charge of Recklessness.

* You're likely to get a normal Duplicity proc somewhere, so one of the Thrashes will probably be replaced by a Maul (or both if you want to blow Blackout offensively)

** Only in a 1v1 situation where you're very unlikely to get interrupted.

Edited by Gondolindhrim

Here's the opener I like. Some say it claims too muh force, but I disagree due to the 6 seconds of blackout when coming out of stealth.

From stealh:

Recklessness

Maul

Low slash

Maul

Shroud

Discharge

Shock

Assassinate if they're close to death. If they're not damn close to it I just cloak, rinse and repeat.

Edited by mrdert

Here's the opener I like. Some say it claims too muh force, but I disagree due to the 6 seconds of blackout when coming out of stealth.

From stealh:

Recklessness

Maul

Low slash

Maul

Shroud

Discharge

Shock

Assassinate if they're close to death. If they're not damn close to it I just cloak, rinse and repeat.

That's actually nice and simple...

Also, if the first maul procs duplicity, you can have:

recklessness

maul

maul (procced)

low slash

(pause for force regen)

maul

and the rest

dayum...

Maul is not a bad attack to use in general in PvP because of the prevalence of CC. Even without factoring in the regen from Blackout, a lot of time people react to someone coming out of stealth by using a soft CC (say, Flashbang). Since it usually makes very little sense to CC break on such a move, you might as well ride it out and use the most damaging attack first as Maul still hits harder than any other attack and if the enemy makes full use of CC, you will have that 50 Force back by the time it runs out. It is an even easier decision if your CC breaker is down. 4 seconds from a stun is just about enough time to get the 50 Force you lost to Maul, and since you can't break out of it you might as well make use of that first hit. Yes ideally you want to just Force Shroud to counter their CC, but you can't expect every break to go your way every time.

From stealh:

Recklessness

Maul

Low slash

Maul

Shroud

Discharge

Shock

Not opening with spike is a waste imho :/ opening with spike+maul+maul would do the same damage but prevent people from ccing as soon as you pop out of stealth. I do this usually:

spike

maul

maul

electrocute

discharge

shock

low slash

maul

assassinate

Recklessness usually at the beginning, blackout is situational

This i do on targets that are being healed. Very few people get to the end of this rotation

I've actually been hitting Recklessness after Spiking out of stealth. But it all depends on what the target is and how long I anticipate the fight to be. Here's why...

Spike is a force attack and will take a charge of Recklessness (FP). While this can be a good thing for triggering an extra 9% crit chance for the Maul that follows, Spike hits for very, very little. I look at it as a waste of a FP charge and it will force me to vanish sooner in order to reset FP, especially if you are forced to use another charge on Force Slow, which we sometimes have to. I'd rather have the charges for Discharge and two Shocks.

With that in mind, I'll usually spike then FP... then go into the rest of the rotation.

Just something to consider. :)

Another opener I've been playing with is hit Recklessness and open with a Discharge followed by Low Slash and Maul. From then on continue your regular rotation until 12s are up with Blackout. Then vanish and Spike+Maul out of stealth, followed up by Reck Discharge.

It works well both ways, open with Spike or save Spike for the vanish.

Edited by Monterone

I've actually been hitting Recklessness after Spiking out of stealth. But it all depends on what the target is and how long I anticipate the fight to be. Here's why...

Spike is a force attack and will take a charge of Recklessness (FP). While this can be a good thing for triggering an extra 9% crit chance for the Maul that follows, Spike hits for very, very little. I look at it as a waste of a FP charge and it will force me to vanish sooner in order to reset FP, especially if you are forced to use another charge on Force Slow, which we sometimes have to. I'd rather have the charges for Discharge and two Shocks.

With that in mind, I'll usually spike then FP... then go into the rest of the rotation.

Just something to consider. :)

Didn't know that...! I just assumed spike was melee, but it makes sense for it to be force so it won't miss. I just assumed it was like low slash.

Seems like u guys already got the quick burst opener up. As is most classes and specs, deception is very situational. If situation allows for a bit longer opener you can try this. (Now this rotation can't be used all the time since its dependant on the discharge stacks. Also best used when you already have 2 stacks of VS up. So best used if u just killed someone and then are moving onto ur next target. )

Stealth

Spike

Maul

Discharge (ONLY if you were able to get 2 stacks of discharge or more, otherwise skip step)

Recklessness

Shock

Discharge

Then from here on out its up to you If u want to wait a few more secs to use low slash for a garrunteed maul proc and fill in the time with VS or not.

Reasoning for this. If you can get those 2 stacks for discharge. You can easily get 15k plus dmg just in those three moves. Not including the dmg from mauls and such. But remember that this isn't your typical opener and requires you to be observant and adaptive to the situations based off the need to do quick burst to finish off a healer or going one gcd longer and bringer someone down from 100% to less than 30 or even dead.

Not opening with spike is a waste imho :/ opening with spike+maul+maul would do the same damage but prevent people from ccing as soon as you pop out of stealth. I do this usually:

spike

maul

maul

electrocute

discharge

shock

low slash

maul

assassinate

Recklessness usually at the beginning, blackout is situational

This i do on targets that are being healed. Very few people get to the end of this rotation

Funny, I always thought spike was stupid to use unless you were in the tank tree where you could use it at any time. I does hardley any damage and loads up the resolve bar.

Funny, I always thought spike was stupid to use unless you were in the tank tree where you could use it at any time. I does hardley any damage and loads up the resolve bar.

Spike guarantees a maul proc now if you open with it. Also, if you have it talented, it slows the opponent by 70% for 3 sec so you can unload your burst.

Yes you could open with low slash if you don't mind waiting an extra 5s for your next duplicity instead of being able to low slash immediately at the 10s mark because low slash isn't on cd

Also filling a resolve bar with a low slash is a pretty ideal thing since often people use breakers on full resolve bars, which in the case of low slash would be a wasted breaker

Edited by JP_Legatus

I have been opening with this..

spike

reckless

maul

maul(rotate around)

Low slash( very little resolve added if any)

maul/ VS

shock

blackout

Electrocute(this fills resolve bar)

maul/shock or assassinate depending on health level.

I love using the low slash and then use electrocute later as it will keep them from using anything to get away, they usually pop their CC break on low slash and then I own them with electrocute and finish them off. But i am open to new ideas and will try some of the ones listed here.

Recklessness (60% force crtic and 3 charges of discharge)

Spike

Maul

Discharge

Shroud if I am expecting CC

Shock

Voltaic slash

Voltaic slash

electrocute

Maul (usually duplicity proced by now)

Shock

Low slash

Maul

Assassinate.

It does not always work that beautifully, (CC, defensive cool downs), but if crtic procs on 2 mauls, enemy won't survive. I would also give assassinate priority over all other attacks except maul with duplicity, if target is below 30%.

I may do black out somewhere in the middle if I am expecting retaliation.