ONe time password freaking annoying

I really hope you are trolling because I find that highly unlikely.

I doubt we will ever know for sure.

Their Security Expert confirmed it when I asked him. Check the dev tracker on this subject, I was directly quoted by him.

According to him, this change was more about adding additional functionality for other features like removing the Security Key without having to call support.

:cool:

Edited by Blackavaar

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their Security Expert confirmed it when I asked him. Check the dev tracker on this subject, I was directly quoted by him.

According to him, this change was more about adding additional functionality for other features like removing the Security Key without having to call support.

Wow. Did you even read his response? Or are you referring to a different time that you were quoted asking that question.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5961316#edit5961316

You said:

Yes, to my knowledge not one single account has been hacked on SWTOR, so why bother making this change at all?

He said:

Another good question.

This change fundamentally changes what else we can improve within our authentication system in other areas such as self-help services. I have a few ducks with names that start with 'self-help' floating around here somewhere....

That does not say that they have not had hacks. If it did he would have said it in the reply.

You are assuming that just because he quoted you and said good question that everything you said was right.

Until Bioware says "We have never had an account hacked" ... they have had accounts hacked >.>

Edited by ninjonxb

not sure of the issue really why people are getting the password screen each time but if its such a hassle to get a email and copy paste then good riddance i am sorry but the amount of useless complaining is becoming a joke on the forums

yes the security key is a issue when people can't order them that's something to ***** about but the password screen seems to be overkill for people to quit over and again i will say good riddance

That does not say that they have not had hacks. If it did he would have said it in the reply.

Until Bioware says "We have never had an account hacked" ... they have had accounts hacked >.>

When he skips directly to answering the question of why make this change at all, he insinuates that they have indeed never had a hacked account.

Also, have you ever seen an account hacked post on the forums? No?

Okay then.

When he skips directly to answering the question of why make this change at all, he insinuates that they have indeed never had a hacked account.

Also, have you ever seen an account hacked post on the forums? No?

Okay then.

You are assuming way to much. He could have just been skimming over it instead of admitting to it.

And yeah, iets asume something because no one posts about it.

Maybe, just maybe they got their accounts hacked and idk... couldnt post? And maybe they didnt care enough to try to recover their account is bioware has bad recovery process.

I am not wasting the money on that security key for this game,

Heh, security key is free of charge... you do not have to buy anything.

All you need is a cell phone, tablet, pocket pc (or whatever else you have) and download an SWToR security key application for free.

You are assuming way to much. He could have just been skimming over it instead of admitting to it.

And yeah, iets asume something because no one posts about it.

Maybe, just maybe they got their accounts hacked and idk... couldnt post? And maybe they didnt care enough to try to recover their account is bioware has bad recovery process.

You're making assumptions based on nothing. I'm making assumptions based on insinuation and lack of evidence to the contrary.

Enough said.

Edited by Blackavaar

• Dev Post
The problem is that the physical security key fobs are out of stock from official site, and there has been no official word (to my knowledge) on when they will become available again. And not everyone has Android or Apple device

There is an official word on this...

We are in process of restocking the European Origin Store with the Physical Security Key, and as soon as I have an exact date I will post it.

For answers around the changes made on the 2nd with regards to Display Name, OTP and Self Service options, please check the following two threads:

Second announcement I recommend reading through as it has 'moar things' explained:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=612230

Current thread we want new questions to go into:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=618148

If any thing this one time password is jeopardizing my whole account. We all know how easy it is to hack into an email address, now bioware and ea keep on sending us passwords that is putting our accounts at risk. Stop it now, it is unnecessary and damn right annoying.

Be thankful you can actually get into the game. Some of us can't even log in anymore and there's been little reassurance given by EAware, right before early access for the expansion starts as well.

Your issues aren't as bad as you think.

You're making assumptions based on nothing. I'm making assumptions based on insinuation and lack of evidence to the contrary.

Enough said.

He didn't insinuate anything. He merely did not comment on it because there's probably a policy in place to not discuss it. You really think a company is going to admit that accounts have been hacked if they don't have to?

Edited by FuryoftheStars

not sure of the issue really why people are getting the password screen each time but if its such a hassle to get a email and copy paste then good riddance i am sorry but the amount of useless complaining is becoming a joke on the forums

yes the security key is a issue when people can't order them that's something to ***** about but the password screen seems to be overkill for people to quit over and again i will say good riddance

Sorry, but if I was having to go into my email each and every time I wanted to log in, I would certainly be annoyed. Peeved to the point of threatening to quit? Eh, probably not. But you better believe I'd be annoyed enough to create a thread on it.

Heck, as it is, I haven't had a chance to even attempt to log in since the patch. I have no idea at this point if I'll even be one of the affected ones!

There is an official word on this...

We are in process of restocking the European Origin Store with the Physical Security Key, and as soon as I have an exact date I will post it.

With all due respect[*], that's a response completely lacking in content - you made this change before even knowing when (if?) physical keys would be available again for European players. I'm lucky enough to already have a physical key but this is yet another example of BW Austin's patent lack of respect for non-American (paying) customers. Any security holes that have been closed by this change have been around for 15+months, so surely they're not so egregious that you couldn't wait a little longer...

EDIT[*] and that respect is due to the fact that I think you've done an outstanding job to respond to most people's questions... you just dropped the ball on this one imo

Edited by Midget_Yoda

two words: Security Key.

I have the security key and I DO NOT WANT TO USE IT!!! this is BS! Every time I ever logged into this it asked me for my security questions. Now I got to go to my freaking email and get a code. Thats what I have made my own password for that YOU made me change because it did not fit your format.

Yes very annoying, I logged into the game, oh need temp password, then i logged into forums, oh, need another temp password, this is BS. Before you go spouting garbage about a security key on your phone, I don't have a smartphone, If this continues LOTRO may be getting more attention than this BS.

Again, many of you should be contacting your ISPs to demand a more lengthy static IP address. That is why you keep getting the one-time password routine.... your ISPs are screwing you.

If you can't get a more long-lasting IP through DSL, then I'd advise checking with your local cable company and seeing how long their IP leases are for.

That said, they should have waited until the keys were at least available before implementing this change. Maybe they ran out too recently to be able to stop the upgrade process? Dunno...

I pay to play. I have a good password which I've chnaged several times. I have good security questions. I don't need/want a security key. If I did need/want one I'd have bought one. This is an irritating flaw in an otherwise decent game. It's amusing that in the email it says, if you didn't request this ignore the email. If you ignore the email you can't login though. Edited by Hitnmiss
Addition

Keep in mind with the security key app, though it's free, if your smart phone stops working, you flash a ROM*, or you upgrade your phone, you have to call Bioware and sit on hold for an hour to have the key removed or transferred to another device.

* I can't remember if I had the authenticator before or after I switched to CyanogenMod on my last phone.

So you're saying that they did insinuate something.

Or is it just that you slept through English class?

How about not being rude in pointing out my grammatical error? It was the end of the work day for me, tired, splitting headache, and trying to wrap up things before I left work.

Keep in mind with the security key app, though it's free, if your smart phone stops working, you flash a ROM*, or you upgrade your phone, you have to call Bioware and sit on hold for an hour to have the key removed or transferred to another device.

* I can't remember if I had the authenticator before or after I switched to CyanogenMod on my last phone.

You can remove security key without calling them now, it's one of the reasons why they made this change to security.