Merc / Commando knockback delay imbalance?

HuNtOziO

Well basically as the thread titles, commando knockback is instant upon activation where as a merc one isnt, there is an animation that plays before the knockback happens.

This can be extremely infuriating in pvp especially when you have to time your KB perfectly, such as a guardian/jugg with unremitting up doing a master strike, timing it for when unremitting wears off.

Easy on a commando, not on a merc, especially when latency/lag has an effect too.

Most ability imbalance/delays between factions have been fixed, but this one still hasn't.

Please can mercs just get a new knockback animation/sound that is instant so its the same as commando, thankyou. This is in the pvp threat as its mostly a pvp issue, the delay barely affects pve at all.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This one annoys me as well. When I'm on my commando I can easily line somebody up to knock them where I want (e.g. into the firepit), but on my merc I have to try to guess where they are going to be when it goes off.

This is a big QOL improvement for sure. I often find myself dead with 3 melee around me and my KB on cooldown yet non of them are knocked back, i think this would go a long way to prevent that... this is the same problem with using a grenade close to death, the nade goes off but doesn't actually cc anyone because of the ability activation delay/animation that is played first.

This is a big QOL improvement for sure. I often find myself dead with 3 melee around me and my KB on cooldown yet non of them are knocked back, i think this would go a long way to prevent that... this is the same problem with using a grenade close to death, the nade goes off but doesn't actually cc anyone because of the ability activation delay/animation that is played first.

I agree this should be changed. They did it for Sorc/Sage, so Merc/Mando should get parity too. An instant KB is necessary for an overwhelmed ranged class. Even the Jugg push counts as Instant, even if it doesn't animate right away, because the target is unable to act the second the button is pressed.

Edited by Vid-szhite

Some of the merc abilities are better than the commando abilities... needs QOL fixing too.

The "shows bright green bubble when someone heals a player with medical probe on"

The whole hammer shot being invisible is so much less traceable to the healer in pvp.

Merc is generally difficult to target with mortar volley equiv.

needs some fixes.

These are QoL things that have no real impact on anything. Dont waste the devs time with such frivolous discussions.

Wrong, they have potential to have a major effect in pvp.

Imagine the following scenario.

4v4 arena

Commando healer one team.

Merc healer the other team.

Merc healer is standing up out of sight for the most part healing from ~30m away.

COmmando is doing the same

Each respective enemy team is keeping an eye out for the healer, but not really putting the effort in.

Commando casts hammer shot on his friendly, enemty team have a line to trace to the commando healer.

Merc healer does the same (getting the healing out) but the mercs enemy team cannot see where the cast is coming from with ease and does not have a traceable line.

Result is Commando healer - enemies know location, potential for focusing from that point.

Merc healer is still 'out of sight' for the most part.

Further on in the WZ both the commando and the merc are on the bridge surrounded by enemies of each team.

COmmando wants to knock his enemies off the edge, simple straight away activation.

Merc wants to do the same, except he has to calculate where the enemy is going to be when the timer goes off.

Which is generally alot harder, lets say he fails due to this disadvantage and the commando wins. We have a merc healer alone on the bridge with an enemy team of 4 on him... whilst his friendlys will take ~10-11 seconds to get back to him. Thats is plenty of time to kill a healer who has just wasted a defensive CD.

In certain scenarios it can have huge effects. For the most part, players can adapt, but this is still an imbalance that needs to be solved, it happens more than you think.

Some of the merc abilities are better than the commando abilities... needs QOL fixing too.

The "shows bright green bubble when someone heals a player with medical probe on"

The whole hammer shot being invisible is so much less traceable to the healer in pvp.

Merc is generally difficult to target with mortar volley equiv.

needs some fixes.

You mean when the Merc jumps up above everyone else and starts shooting death from above? Yea that is hard to spot.:rolleyes:

Ive never had a problem with it.

I kinda prefer it really, for when I'm trying to aim the knock back, I just run at them and activate the KB before I'm even to them and it goes off right when I get to them; before they realized what I was doing

I never said I knew how to play commando well, quote me where I said that.

Ohh I know you definately play commando better than me, never said you didn't, still doesn't take away the fact I told you how imbalances affect ranked pvp. There was no need for your reaction to my constructive post, followed by your desperate attempt to prove if I am bad or not.

Lets just put our egos away now, and me more careful with your assumptions about people - I was being constructive... I expect the same from a community rep.

You dont know me very well do you

No, but I want to ;)

As far as the post you made before:

- The difference between hammer shot and rapid shots heal is negligible. Any halfway decent player is going to know where all 4 enemies are at any time, and at least 1 person in a team of 4 should have enough sense to mark healers (if not everyone). You cant hide when youre marked.

- Assuming your second scenario takes place and the Merc is left alone to 4v1 (tho I have personally never missed a knockback b/c of the slight delay, if I miss its b/c I flat out miss timed it) he can use Hydraulic Overrides to escape off the bridge and join his teammates. Just standing there waiting for your team to get back is going to get you killed immediately.

All of this piddly QoL complaints have basically no real impact on the outcome of a fight.

- The difference between hammer shot and rapid shots heal is negligible. Any halfway decent player is going to know where all 4 enemies are at any time, and at least 1 person in a team of 4 should have enough sense to mark healers (if not everyone). You cant hide when youre marked.

- Assuming your second scenario takes place and the Merc is left alone to 4v1 (tho I have personally never missed a knockback b/c of the slight delay, if I miss its b/c I flat out miss timed it) he can use Hydraulic Overrides to escape off the bridge and join his teammates. Just standing there waiting for your team to get back is going to get you killed immediately.

All of this piddly QoL complaints have basically no real impact on the outcome of a fight.

All of that may be true, however these are real concerns from real merc players and YOU are their representative. Agree or disagree, you should probably do so in a slightly less nose-up fashion.

I HATE THE JEDI KNIGHT STANCE. I AM NOT BABE RUTH. At some point I want And'rew to kinda.. mention it or something. I know it's cosmetic and it's irrelevant to anything really buuuut it bothers me.

Similar Scenario.

All of that may be true, however these are real concerns from real merc players and YOU are their representative. Agree or disagree, you should probably do so in a slightly less nose-up fashion.

I HATE THE JEDI KNIGHT STANCE. I AM NOT BABE RUTH. At some point I want And'rew to kinda.. mention it or something. I know it's cosmetic and it's irrelevant to anything really buuuut it bothers me.

Similar Scenario.

Which is no longer relevant in terms of passing along concerns to the developers. Commando questions have already been submitted.

I agree it rarely has any significant impact on the outcome of a fight, but it definately can happen. If the stars line up then this imbalance can be the cause of significant disadvantages. This is what I was saying in my original post.

Something needs to be done, regardless of importance.

QoL should always > content updates, unless you are pumping out content every week and its an alpha game.

Enough with the flame wars already.... online game forums sometimes honestly.

It's simply a minor fix to address a minor imbalance, nothing huge or really bad but something that is simply infuriating at times.

Especially with the vigi guardian re-rollers running around knocking them back as a Merc requires precision timing, assuming lag doesn't screw you over.

That is all, thanks peeps.

These are QoL things that have no real impact on anything. Dont waste the devs time with such frivolous discussions.

I'm glad it doesn't bother YOU, however this issue has been brought up several times and others clearly have an issue with it. Since changing the knock back to happen at the beginning of the animation is such an easy fix, I can't fathom how you are so insulted about people asking for this change. As a class rep, instead of throwing insults at others like calling them bad because they have a different opinion than yourself, you could exercise a little more maturity and be supportive of the people you're supposed to represent. Failing that, you could at least be constructive.

Edited by LaVall

I'm glad it doesn't bother YOU, however this issue has been brought up several times and others clearly have an issue with it. Since changing the knock back to happen at the beginning of the animation is such an easy fix, I can't fathom how you are so insulted about people asking for this change. As a class rep, instead of throwing insults at others like calling them bad because they have a different opinion than yourself, you could exercise a little more maturity and be supportive of the people you're supposed to represent. Failing that, you could at least be constructive.

No Id rather not.

These QoL changes would have 0 impact on anything. Its just random dumb crap that people want to the devs to waste time on instead of addressing actual things that need fixing and have a larger impact on game mechanics/balance.

As class rep it is/was my job to be able to distinguish between stupid crap like this, and real legit concerns.

One man's frivolity is another man's deep concern.

When youre class rep you can ask about the Ammo Counter UI, knockback comparison, and whatever other totally irrelevant issues the community is concerned about.

Edited by cashogy_reborn

When youre class rep you can ask about the Ammo Counter UI, knockback comparison, and whatever other totally irrelevant issues the community is concerned about.

I wasn't aware that "Class Rep" conferred some type of obligation to resolve deep mechanics issues. No, wait, that's because it doesn't. The job was to accumulate and then report the most talked about issues the community is concerned with, in the manner Bioware requested: "Top 3 questions". It's not your responsibility to balance classes, to decide the priority of game-impacting issues, or to silence a majority who does not share your personal opinions.

As I said, one man's frivolity is another man's deep concern. You sound awfully bitter, and after the response you got from the community upon submitting the questions, it's understandable. But maybe you shouldn't take things so seriously? You seem really bent out of shape...if the masses want idiocy, they're gonna get idiocy, with or without you.

Edited by Uber_the_Goober

I wasn't aware that "Class Rep" conferred some type of obligation to resolve deep mechanics issues. No, wait, that's because it doesn't. The job was to accumulate and then report the most talked about issues the community is concerned with, in the manner Bioware requested: "Top 3 questions". It's not your responsibility to balance classes, to decide the priority of game-impacting issues, or to silence a majority who does not share your personal opinions.

As I said, one man's frivolity is another man's deep concern. You sound awfully bitter, and after the response you got from the community upon submitting the questions, it's understandable. But maybe you shouldn't take things so seriously? You seem really bent out of shape...if the masses want idiocy, they're gonna get idiocy, with or without you.

Which is exactly what I did...........................

What am I bitter about? Apparently I am angry, insulted, and bitter. This is news to me