Just removed from a group for being too good

Exactly

Yes, you read that correct. We are doing a heroic quest in nar shaddar and even with 2 healers focusing on me they cannot keep me alive, the grp requests me to "dude dont aggro so much" and i was invited as the tank!

I have 5k health at lvl 23 and a decent amount of defense and block, do healers need a buff? Did bioware intend these heroic quests to be two tanked and bouncing aggro all over the place just to survive?

First time ive ever been removed from a grp for being too good at my role. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, i am starting to think this game may be a bit too hard like others have said in this forum. Maybe healers need a buff....

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rofl sorry but this pisses me off so badly. I´ve been healing flashpoints and heroic quests up to lvl 30 now as a commando, dps specced. Healing is awesome precisely because you'll have to plan ahead a bit and not mindlessly spam your ****. On tatooine me and my group encountered a really challenging group quest and we wiped a few times. With some good cc's and focus we managed to do it in the end, though, and quite easily too. My point being: L2P

Explain how it could have gone better.

We dont have the tools (and or crowd control, i know i dont have any at this level) like marking kill targets. Even then tho, if we had tools to mark i still would have got blown up if we didnt have CC.

My experiences in this game so far is , i LOVE single player HATE grouping with people.

Someone brought up the fact about not being able to mark targets. I seem to recall there being a Social I item on Coruscant that is like "Republic Marking Item." I don't have it either but maybe I'll grab it and see what it does. I think it was also on Ord Mantell for like 500 creds. Edited by Grymbs

How much CC did your group have? I found in some areas CC is vital. Then you go from un-cc'd down to the mobs which cannot be re-cc'd e.g. sleep dart.

In addition to that healing is not the only thing healers should do, they should also dispel. Especially stacking dots. Then you need to look out for casts. Some casts need to be interrupted. Things like Armor Piercing Cells can be really nasty if they go off (upto 40% less armor).

I have no idea, myself i had none (a 4 second stun on one minute cooldown is all) i really do not know the other classes well enough to say what CC they have.

THis is extremely frustrating to me, and i am contemplating quitting the game over it its that bad.

Someone brought up the fact about not being able to mark targets. I seem to recall there being a Social I item on Coruscant that is like "Republic Marking Item." I don't have it either but maybe I'll grab it and see what it does. I think it was also on Ord Mantell for like 500 creds.

There is an item, really cheap from a vendor.

Lets put it this way, i have never been so frustrated in a video game in my life, that includes nearly 7 years of world of warcraft...

The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable. At my level i am REQUIRED to bounce aggro around so i dont die, with TWO healers on me one specced for healing properly. This is a lvl 23 QUEST not even a flashpoint. I am all about team work and CC, but at this level and without proper marking tools how is that possible? Its a lvl 23 quest and i was even taking **** that i shouldnt be there, and i was lvl 23!

Edited by Exactly

there is a marking system available if you target a mob and right click its portrait you get the option to mark it with several different kinds of marks so that should not be an issue but as previous posters have said and in most mmo's you need to have a balance of cc's and healers and tanks also for that matter need to pay attention to mob cd's such as the armor reduction cell spoken of in a previous post now i dont know a whole lot about tanking in swtor yet but i assume its fairly similar to most mmo in the fact that if you dont choose your stats/skills properly you will be a poor tank regardless of your actual skill that being said i am NOT bashing you sir/maam but if you are keep aggro on multiple targets but you lack the ability to handle the incoming dmg then something may be wrong with you i make it a habbit of always checking myself if my group fails and i advise all tanks to do the same

Lets put it this way, i have never been so frustrated in a video game in my life, that includes nearly 7 years of world of warcraft...

The noobery that went down is simply mind boggling and unexplainable. At my level i am REQUIRED to bounce aggro around so i dont die, with TWO healers on me one specced for healing properly. This is a lvl 23 QUEST not even a flashpoint. I am all about team work and CC, but at this level and without proper marking tools how is that possible? Its a lvl 23 quest and i was even taking **** that i shouldnt be there, and i was lvl 23!

There is a marking system. Right-click the target's portrait, select icon you want to mark them with. Profit.

What level was the rest of your team? Every AC with a healing tree can CC by level 24 at the latest. This CC lasts for 1 minute, has a 1 minute cooldown and breaks on damage.

If your healers are CCing targets and someone in the group is breaking that, then you're going to have a tough time, yes.

To the OP, you are a tank. You did your job. If 2 healers couldn't keep you alive and you were doing a normal pull and not taking on more than what the pull had, then you don't need to worry. I am willing to bet the healers were doing damage and not healing, wasting ammo/force on themselves and not you because with a decent healer of appropriate level, I as a Guardian tank never failed to finish a fight before dying.

Now, granted there were some times where it would be a little better to let someone else take a little bit of the aggro for big pulls if I was taking too much damage but that was rare.

There is almost no gear with +defense on it at my level. And i have one defensive cooldown of a 20% damage reduction for 12 secs on a 2 min cooldown. Im not gonna do any pve til top level to avoid frustration.

Should we be expected to have all orange/purple gear for these heroic quests? I guess i dont understand biowares stance here. Im not great geared, but not poorly either. I understand what stats are good for my spec and what ones are for DPS.

Well, there's really no need for 2 healers unless you guys were going way over your level. With a tank plus 2 healers, then you probably didn't have enough DPS. You may have been playing with some bad players....oftentimes, healers will use AOEs and draw extra aggro and then wonder why they died, lol. However, a tank's job is not to merely draw as much aggro that the tank can handle. The tank's job is to hold and keep aggro off of squishies. So you're not really doing your job if you can't keep the aggro off the healers....although bad gameplay by the others could make your job basically impossible. Whenever I tank for a struggling group, I find it's better to go conservative on pulling aggro and gradually increase it as the group establishes it can handle the aggro.

We (lvl 23-25) kicked a tank from our (Heroic 4) group because he kept braking CC.

He was probably a fine tank, but he kept trying to tank 3-4 guys at a time and expected our group which had two Sith Inquisitors healing, to keep him alive.

Sounds like you just need to increase your knowledge of which classes can CC and what type of CC it is. Here's a head start. Sith Assassins can only CC mobs that are out of combat. 60sec duration.

Edited by Aujin

Learn to tank. Tanking is not about grabbing every single mob in sight, it's about protecting the people in your group. Your job is to make the pull, which is no more than the group of mobs hanging out together, and keep them attacking you, and you only. If a mob attacks somebody else, or even takes a step away from you, you pull his *** back and break him. If they told you to not pull so much, you obey them and make conservative pulls, where your goal is to be fighting as few mobs as possible.

You have to listen to your group, and work with them.

Edited by LexiCazam
Rude comments

^

Your ability to get things to attack you isn't the sole measure of your tanking capabilities. I wasn't there, I didn't see exactly what happened, but it sounds very likely that the reason you were booted was NOT that you were "too good" at your role. Tanking means taking damage you don't want other party members to get and making a nice, single healing target...not going superman rambo mode.

Edited by Shinyshin

Its not too bad if you organize, Ive had some trouble but we learned what to do. Take 1 group at a time. CC one of the adds, several classes have a good ability to CC, and keep it from acting as long as it doesnt take damage. yes, my dumb *** did damage them, sometimes. You need enough dps to take them out before they kill you. You may not be able to heal a person constantly, and out survive the enemy just by healing and tanking.

You need good damage delivery, take out adds in certain fights first and tank the Elite or champion guy to kill last. You simply may not be able to tank everything continually, just keep them from the rest of the group and kill them fast.

Blue gear suited to your roll helps. High endurance is key for tanks, its also nice if you have defence, but I have trouble finding and crafting things with defense, just focus on Endurance armor, and a good shield generator. Actually taking Tanking talents helps a lot, learning what abilities are important to tanking helps, dont just blow your cooldowns at any moment, use them when you expect to take high damage, not as you pull but once they are attacking you you use it.

Yes, you read that correct. We are doing a heroic quest in nar shaddar and even with 2 healers focusing on me they cannot keep me alive, the grp requests me to "dude dont aggro so much" and i was invited as the tank!

I have 5k health at lvl 23 and a decent amount of defense and block, do healers need a buff? Did bioware intend these heroic quests to be two tanked and bouncing aggro all over the place just to survive?

First time ive ever been removed from a grp for being too good at my role. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, i am starting to think this game may be a bit too hard like others have said in this forum. Maybe healers need a buff....

Odds are you were tanking everything and not letting the classes use their CC abilities. You were taking way to much damage meaning instead of applying damage a second person had to heal you. A good tank knows the tools of the other classes and what they can do. The tanks I run with open up with their AE abilities then single target focus stuff down letting the range apply their CC and dps. Sounds to me like you were not being good but more mindless. The game isn't to hard...wow has made you a poorer player.

Another thing to note, and I am aware this might seem anathema to some tanks, but you don't actually need to hold all the aggro, just themost dangerous. Even in the absence of CC, you can afford to let some of the mobs attack other people - say, if you're fighting 3 golds and 2 silvers, you keep aggro on the former, and let the latter attack others. Firstly, no (properly geared) character in the game is that squishy that they can't take a few hits, and secondly it can often be easier on the healers, even relatively early on. All three healing classes have access to efficient healing abilities that don't stack well, if at all, on single targets (such as the rune type shields of the Cons/Inq [unstackable], or the HoTs of the smug/IA [which stack once]), but can be readily applied to multiple targets. Trooper/BH healers even get access to an AoE heal pretty early.

Overall, a good tank is not one who grabs all the aggro and holds it regardless of anything. A good tank it one who understands how his group works, what abilities they have, what they're capable of, and adapts his playstyle to this. (well, a good player in general is this...)

Edited by PhroX