What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

Fastdoze

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it matters. It's the net, who knows what is real? The most fun I've seen is a guy playing a female toon with a voice changer on vent. At the very core though is the idea female toons are more likely to get help than male toons. Just play the game how you like, they're all pixels anyhow.

I've yet to see this actually happen. Is it common? Is it more common on non-RP servers?

I've seen it happen quite a few times, and manipulated it myself :). I'd assume the people who fall for it are younger/newer players, haven't seen it at 50 very often.

I have 16 toons on Jedi Covenant.

8 male (Guardian, Sorc, Marauder, Shadow, Vangaurd, Powertech, Scoundrel, Operative)

8 female (Sentinel, Assassin, Jugg, Sage, Commando, Merc, Gunslinger, Sniper)

the males are my mains and the females is to get a different perspective in the story line.

One of the reasons for playing a female character might also be the voice acting. I find the male consular so wooden and dull that I deleted him and rolled a female, which I like much better. The female agent has the best acting IMO, though the male isn't bad either. In total, there's lots of reasons players choose the gender for their characters. Edited by jpopalisky

How to tell if a male is playing a female toon

The female toon is wearing a slave bikini.

How to tell if a female is playing a male toon

The male toon isn't hitting on any of the female toons in slave bikinis.

Here endeth the lesson.

Actually, I typically do flirt with the female toons that are scantily clad when I play male toons.... gotta get into character! ;)

That is not a Dwarf. Dwarves have beards, even the lady ones.

Look up Lineage 2 :) This is the female dwarf according to the game, I was always suspicious of men who were playing such a female character, especially with that second white armor look...was just wrong.

It used to raise a few eyebrows back in the day when mmos were young. I've rolled female toons in daoc aion swg and god knows how many more games. Tor has added more icing on cake with cool voice acting, especially from the English actress's voicing with characters. I'd rather look a fit curvy toons backside while running around.. But saying that the romancing options has made me think about rolling male toons on a few occasions

I'm a girl, I play as male characters, get over it.

Seriously though, the assumption that 95% of players are male is just false. Guys are so stuck in this notion that they wont even believe you if you say "I'm a girl" no matter the gender of your character. If I'm in general chat and I'm talking about shoes/bags/jewelry or about how I like men, male players will automatically jump to "extremely campy gay guy" before they think woman. It's pretty funny.

Seriously though, the assumption that 95% of players are male is just false. Guys are so stuck in this notion that they wont even believe you if you say "I'm a girl" no matter the gender of your character.

you see my screen name, right? i've had people read that name and then continue to think i was male. a group of guys was actually quite shocked when they found out that the person calling themselves "happysister" was, in fact, a female.....

In my experience, I thought it was an odd thing during my days in WoW, when I played WoW, all my toons were male, because I viewed it as creepy and strange that a male would play a female toon (This was about 4 years ago, mind you, I was only a teenager then). Then I played a game in which my characters lived. They had a story. They talked. They werent mute, flat charcters. I had already started to change my mind on the matter of males playing female toons and vice-versa, but it was only when I played TOR that I actually made a female toon. now, I have 4 female toons, and I really dont mind the idea of people playing whatever toons they want, its all good :D

There is really an 18 page thread about this? o.0

Anyway, I roll both genders..... however all my Female toons ended up on Imperial side and my Male toons on the Republic. Not by design just the way it fell.

If you ask me in game if im a guy? (when im on fem toon) i will tell you i am. All my guild know I am male and anyone else I spend any large amounts of time with in game also know.

Really though it isnt an issue unless you make it one.

OP,

Roleplaying means creating a Role (that's the 'R' in 'RPG'), and Playing (that's the 'P') the Game (I'll bet you got that one without me even telling you, you clever thing!:)) as though you were that character. Now, some of us take that further than others - some people basically use their characters as a stand-in for themselves, some write extensive histories and so forth - but it means if I want to play a character who's a cross between Mal Reynolds and James Bond, I choose a male 'toon. Even though I'm a woman.

So, if my husband decides it'd be a hoot to play a cross between Zoe Washburn and Red Sonja, what gender do you think he'll pick?

The way you react to it in game is "Ahh - I see good Captain Bond/Zonya the Bad@** is looking for someone to do a FP; I shall volunteer and have a fine time."

The way you do NOT react to it is "hurrhurr ... toon in dancer outfit ... must hit on her ... " because:

• SWTOR is a MMORPG, not a singles bar
  • You could be talking to my husband.

:D