Sith Inquisitor story vs. Sith Warrior (SPOILERS)

Esbia

SI=becomes second to One in Empire, major power player

SW=becomes someones *****, no real power

SW=More Powerful at the end???

Now, I haven't played through either story all the way through, but I do remember during the beta SW was too dull to get past Korriban.

SI has been interesting in comparison.

I personally don't like these "do something incredible/become god" type of arguements...I feel like that's what spawns Revan fanboys....

But to each their own. Who knows, maybe SI goes downhill and SW goes uphill. I didn't read the spoiler tag, for obvious reasons.

Do me a favor and explain to me how becoming the personal enforcer and executioner of the Emperor and answerable only to him=no real power.

If you put the Sith hierarchy in a chart the Emperor would be at the top, with the Council just under him, under the Council would be various other Darths in positions of power,Moffs, Imperials etc.

Off from the Emperor would be the Servants and Imperial Guard, who answer only to him and seem to have power over all others but the DC(note on Belsavis, where the Commander tells you the Guards bow to no one but the Emperor).

Lastly, off to another side,slightly below the Emperor and above the Council would be the Wrath, a specially created position of power that only 2 beings in the galaxy have ever had.

The SI gets a seat on the Council and has a set area of responsibility but he/she has to answer to the Emperor and has no influence or control over what the Wrath does.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sith Inquisitor is so much like every other BioWare story it's not even funny. You have to go collect the 3-4 plot devices (Dwarves, Elves, Humans in DA:O; Feros, Noveria, Virmire in Mass Effect; the Star Maps in Kotor...).

Act 1 - Collect items for a ritual you care nothing about while knowing you are going to be betrayed. It's so obvious I became nauseous.

Act 2 - Collect ghosts because you are such a weakling the only way you could possibly win is to cheat. Ghostbusters the video game? Also there's some guy who wants to kill you because it's standard procedure to liquidate the powerbase of a fallen Sith? So now my antagonist is some zealous bureaucrat? Compelling.

Act 3 - Collect cures for your ghost cancer because you're weak and stupid and, like a fat kid on Halloween, you ate too much goodies too fast and now you have a wicked tummy ache.

For a character class supposedly based on the great schemer Palpatine, there is no deception, no lying, no corrupting, nothing politically intriguing at all.

I should apply for a writing position at BioWare. Can't be too hard to get in all things considered.

I had to laugh since this is just 100% true.

SI was my first class and I just couldn't believe that yet AGAIN BW decided to recycle their old formula of running to different planets/areas to collect plot devices except instead of being the typical BAD *** MARY SUE that Bioware usually has for their protagonists the SI was a bumbling idiot who only managed to make it to the end thanks to his super speshal awesome power.

Also what was up with Thanaton? It was almost like the game tried making it seem like the SI wanted a father figure, which would have been a really interesting development had the writers not suddenly pulled that out their arses.

I had to laugh since this is just 100% true.

SI was my first class and I just couldn't believe that yet AGAIN BW decided to recycle their old formula of running to different planets/areas to collect plot devices except instead of being the typical BAD *** MARY SUE that Bioware usually has for their protagonists the SI was a bumbling idiot who only managed to make it to the end thanks to his super speshal awesome power.

Also what was up with Thanaton? It was almost like the game tried making it seem like the SI wanted a father figure, which would have been a really interesting development had the writers not suddenly pulled that out their arses.

What bothers me the most in SI story (I'm in the process of playing one) is that you don't get to figure things out on your own. It's always that someone has to draw a clear plan for you to follow and when you stumble on a problem, you don't lie / cheat your way around but go DURR LIGHTNING on an npc until you get what you want. Hell, I can get past the ridiculous "fetch stuff -> fetch more stuff -> heal yourself cause you fetched too much stuff" formula that's being shoved up my throat but if I have to fetch that much stuff, at least let me be this backstabbing liar while doing it.

To follow up on that thought, there is one thing that brings my hopes up though. With those 3 acts being entirely centered on the character with absolutely zero galactic events being involved, seeing how SI finally got his seat on the Council, there is really no possible way that act 4 and beyond will be that obnoxious and it's almost a given that there will finally be those political power plays we were promised.

On the subject of undelivered promises I guess Ashara will get some work too (that or it will be possible to separate Zash from Khem Val at which point she will be female DS romanceable companion - and I personally think that's the way it'll go) cause it builds up pretty good when you first confront Ashara and she becomes more and more insecure, going even as far as having this DS aura around her for a moment, only to return to the ship and hear "Well ****, I'm not talking to you cause you're a Sith and it's against a Jedi code".

Regarding Thanaton, I kinda like how they wanted to present him as a die-hard traditionalist but the conflict between him and SI could use some degree of believable. I know that according to some dead and buried tradition, he's supposed to hate me but it's so blatantly obvious that he hates me not because tradition says so but because he hated Zash and I was her apprentice. Adding some event that provokes such blind hatred from him would make it so much better cause now we have (and it's very ironic considering the way of SI's problem solving I mentioned in first paragraph) DURR I HATE ZASH SO I HATE YOU LETS HAVE KAGGATH way of thinking coming from Thanaton who was actually pretty good character in Blood of the Empire. Guess he hasn't aged well.

These are not really stand alone stories. I have no doubt that as time goes on, the stories will be built upon with updates and expansions. This is where, IMO, the SI has the advantage. Unlike the SW who has become an official BA and is still nothing more than a tool to be used by the Dark Council/Emperor, the SI has the ability to actually pull the strings. To make things happen. To set policy. The SI is the one who will summon the SW to do their bidding, not the other way around.

To me, the SI has the most upside for future story expansions. The game release story has put the SI in a position of power while it has simply made the SW into a powerful tool to be used by the aforementioned SI. Only time will tell how it all plays out.

Actually no cause according to the rank ladder, Emperor's Wrath (aka SW for the time being) doesn't answer to anyone but the Emperor. Wrath can't casually off the Dark Council member for the kicks of it but it takes as little as Emperor saying "I don't like him" for Wrath to go to Korriban and cut down said member and other members can't do **** about it since if Wrath kills someone, it means that it's under Emperor's authority.

So yeah, SI has 0 power over SW. Even though SW might be a tool, what a tool it is man. Personal executioner for the most powerful being in the galaxy, sent when the Emperor himself is preoccupied and can't kill the target personally. Not just your average hammer.

Also sorry for kinda necro quote (late January) but I've been rereading this thread and just noticed it.

Edited by gibmachine

On the subject of undelivered promises I guess Ashara will get some work too (that or it will be possible to separate Zash from Khem Val at which point she will be female DS romanceable companion - and I personally think that's the way it'll go)

Oh god please no.

How on earth could you possibly conceive of romancing Zash? I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Oh god please no.

How on earth could you possibly conceive of romancing Zash? I think I just threw up a bit in my mouth.

Remove her from Khem Val, stick onto some hot body and there you go.

Come on, I'm not into banging zombies ><

Edited by gibmachine

• 1 month later...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down.

Since some of you don't seem to understand this, or haven't played the JK I'll write it big:

THE EMPEROR IS FOUGHT, DEFEATED, AND KILLED BY THE JK.

Making the Sith Warrior's rank of Emperor's wrath worthless. The SW is just another nameless Darth that spent his life doing errands only to be rendered worthless. Sucks, but it's true.

The SI becomes the heir to Tulak Hord, kills a Dark Council member, and becomes one of the 8 most powerful Sith in the galaxy.

You're right, there's no comparison, but it's in favor of the SI.

EDIT: The whole Malavai thing is pathetic too. Obviously killing him is out of the picture, but having no other reason besides, I'm gonna forgive you out of the goodness in my heart is VERY immersion breaking for a Dark V SW.

Edited by SWFTW

Actually no cause according to the rank ladder, Emperor's Wrath (aka SW for the time being) doesn't answer to anyone but the Emperor. Wrath can't casually off the Dark Council member for the kicks of it but it takes as little as Emperor saying "I don't like him" for Wrath to go to Korriban and cut down said member and other members can't do **** about it since if Wrath kills someone, it means that it's under Emperor's authority.

So yeah, SI has 0 power over SW. Even though SW might be a tool, what a tool it is man. Personal executioner for the most powerful being in the galaxy, sent when the Emperor himself is preoccupied and can't kill the target personally. Not just your average hammer.

Also sorry for kinda necro quote (late January) but I've been rereading this thread and just noticed it.

Who happens to be dead :). Sorry, but the poster you were quoting was right. Both stories were extremely enjoyable and epic, but at the end it's the SI that's the SW's overlord. Sucks for SW's, rocks for SI's, and for people like me that play both, doesn't really matter :).

Who happens to be dead :). Sorry, but the poster you were quoting was right. Both stories were extremely enjoyable and epic, but at the end it's the SI that's the SW's overlord. Sucks for SW's, rocks for SI's, and for people like me that play both, doesn't really matter :).

You might want to read up on the facts bro. SW storyline actually "finishes" JK storyline in a way that you get an ingame mail from the Hand that JK killed the Voice and that Emperor is still alive and kicking, only recovering from JK's assault (since he was massively weakened after having his ritual stopped and then his consciousness was ripped from Voice's body). it's even half-confirmed that next SW chapters will be about exacting revenge on those that orchestrated said assult and putting down imperials that rebel against the Emperor in his absence.

So... yeah.

Edited by gibmachine

Whoa, whoa, whoa, slow down.

Since some of you don't seem to understand this, or haven't played the JK I'll write it big:

THE EMPEROR IS FOUGHT, DEFEATED, AND KILLED BY THE JK.

Making the Sith Warrior's rank of Emperor's wrath worthless. The SW is just another nameless Darth that spent his life doing errands only to be rendered worthless. Sucks, but it's true.

The SI becomes the heir to Tulak Hord, kills a Dark Council member, and becomes one of the 8 most powerful Sith in the galaxy.

You're right, there's no comparison, but it's in favor of the SI.

EDIT: The whole Malavai thing is pathetic too. Obviously killing him is out of the picture, but having no other reason besides, I'm gonna forgive you out of the goodness in my heart is VERY immersion breaking for a Dark V SW.

/facepalm

I'll save you a lot of time and effort, the JK didn't fight,defeat and kill the Emperor. The JK is under the impression that he/she killed the Emperor but the JK actually defeated and killed the Emperor's Voice, which is a vessel of the Emperor.

There is a ton of info in game, on Wookipedia, here in the spoiler forums, and the story and lore forums to back this up if you need more convincing. Ranadiel's Primer on the Emperor is a good place to start.

Here's the link:http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=340056

Therefore the Wrath's rank is not worthless and the message he gets after the Baras fight and the JK's fight tells him to prepare to be unleashed on the galaxy to be the Emperor's instrument in revenge.

I'm not sure where you got the SI becoming one of the 8 most powerful Sith in the galaxy, seems like an odd number to pull out of thin air. Unless you are making reference to the Dark Council, but there are 12 seats on the DC not 8.

Forgiving Quinn isn't really the DS option. If memory serves, you use him as an abject lesson as to what can happen to those that betray you(toss them around like ragdolls, Choke them within an inch of their lives). You give him the option to demonstrate his loyalty to you and I remember telling him I could kill him at anytime if I decide to even if he does remain loyal.

I agree it's a bit odd for the story as DS, but I'm willing to overlook it for now.

In reference to your next post after the one I quoted, wrong again. The SI is on the DC, and thus rule over the Sith and answer only to the Emperor.

But the SW becomes the Wrath, the DC has no authority over him at all and he answers only to the Emperor. Autonomy goes hand in hand with being the Emperor's personal executioner and enforcer. This is made quite clear in the SW story, in the JK story with Scourge and a bit in the Revan novel.

If the Emperor ordered the SW to purge the Council, the Wrath could. The DC couldn't execute the Wrath outright without being in deep doodoo with the Emperor. Best they could do is make it look like an accident or someone from the Republic had done it.

Edited by Temeluchus

Well sorry about that :). Again, (it seems a trademark in the Spoilers forum) a bit over board, but thanks to all who corrected my mistake. I have not finished the SW storyline so I as a JK and SI, assumed that the Emperor was dead. Sorry guys! As for ranks, the Emperor's wrath would be in the same level as the DC as both Wookiepedia and the game say that the Emperor's wrath is second only to the Emperor, but also that DC members are second only to the Emperor. So in rank, they're equal.

Also, to the poster before me, at the end of all class and planet story lines (Pub and Imp) only 8 DC members remain. That's why I said 8.

Again sorry for the mistake guys!

Edited by SWFTW

Clearly you haven't rolled a Jedi Consular or Trooper

I Completely agree the Sith Inquisitor story is good for a background story. The difference between the Sith Warrior and the Inquisitor is that the Warrior story board you actually feel as if your moving the empire closer to the brink of war and that there actually is a legitimate power struggle that leads back to being true to the Emperor. In the Inquisitor story that feeling is lost in the search to find a cure for yourself while completely ignoring the war and the power struggles in the empire. Although you are forced to fight Darth Thanaton; the emphasis is still on surviving rather moving the empire towards victory in the war against the republic

• 2 months later...

There is a rumor that the person who wrote the SI did leave bioware SO *crosses fingers* our expansion story may actually be good! Cause right now the SI is the brute who can shoot force lightning and the sith warrior is actually the manipulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MNcbQdS24&feature=fvst

I mean look at the sith inquisitor story trailer I GOT NONE OF THIS IN THE STORY especially the part with the sith inquisitor whispering in the noble's ear. I thought we were going to be dealing with politics and manipulating people but noooooooooo we just came down to indiana jones, ghost hunter and then ghost buster. I think the SI story does not even have political intrigue yet the sith warrior story does. :confused:

My sith warrior can act like darth sidious yet the class that bioware described as the so called "darth sidious fantasy" is nothing like that as I said the SI in the game is a brute with force lighting. To me it seems like the SI story was given to an intern and to me the person who wrote the sith warrior story captures the various ways a sith can act in a situation.

Hell the sith warrior even has more options to deal with a situation lets not forget the SI gets the least amount of dark side points the max amount of points the SI can get when they leave korriban is 500 even the IA and BH can get more.

Lets not forget not being able to turn Ashara to the dark side.

Edited by lokdron

• 1 month later...
Personally I look at it the way I look at every RPG nowadays. Developers assume that everybody wants to be the warrior class, so even though they add in the Mage and the Theif classes, they put most of their effort into the Warrior because that's what all of us apparently want to play, and since the Inquisitor and Consular are the Mages of the SW Universe they get the same treatment. Edited by Kinvarus

I have to disagree with the op on just about every level the Si's story is much better then the SW's. Who spends something like 40 percent of his time making himself and his allies weakier becuase his stupid master is a moron with ego issues. Also after killing his master what exactly does he have power wise that he can use on his owen authority and not on the emperor's? Not much that i can tell and even less if you went darkside and killed the varius sith/spies that might of given you some sort of powerbase.

Also saying the SW can kill some one on the emperors authority is just another way of saying he can't do crap unless the emperor says too. If he tries too he's all the closer to the emperor to feel his displeasure when you killed that useful dark council member who looked at you wrong. Also it only works if the SW and by extention the emperor can kill the dark council member in the first place (which admittably he/they shouldn't have a problem to do but it does put them in the same boat as every other sith in the dark council).

edit i get the feeling i used also to many times but what ever.

There is a rumor that the person who wrote the SI did leave bioware SO *crosses fingers* our expansion story may actually be good! Cause right now the SI is the brute who can shoot force lightning and the sith warrior is actually the manipulator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6MNcbQdS24&feature=fvst

I mean look at the sith inquisitor story trailer I GOT NONE OF THIS IN THE STORY especially the part with the sith inquisitor whispering in the noble's ear. I thought we were going to be dealing with politics and manipulating people but noooooooooo we just came down to indiana jones, ghost hunter and then ghost buster. I think the SI story does not even have political intrigue yet the sith warrior story does. :confused:

My sith warrior can act like darth sidious yet the class that bioware described as the so called "darth sidious fantasy" is nothing like that as I said the SI in the game is a brute with force lighting. To me it seems like the SI story was given to an intern and to me the person who wrote the sith warrior story captures the various ways a sith can act in a situation.

Hell the sith warrior even has more options to deal with a situation lets not forget the SI gets the least amount of dark side points the max amount of points the SI can get when they leave korriban is 500 even the IA and BH can get more.

Lets not forget not being able to turn Ashara to the dark side.

this feels like a failure to understand the story not a failure of the story. you are involved in political intrigue for most of chapters 2/3 abeit as a former slave you don;t immediately have the ability to strike back at your enemy who is trying to use his political might to crush you. Frankly it would make absolutely no sense for it to be other wise your rise in power and position is already incredibly fast as it is.

never the less the whole thing about the moffs, the silencer weapon, being able to face thanton powerbase to powerbase and force him to plead to the council for help is all becuase of political intrigue. yes it is mostly instigated by some one else but again it would make absolutely no sense for you as a former slave. To be able to make these sort of treaties spur of the moment ,(speciffically becuase your basically running for your life and shouldn't have the time needed to find these people on your owen), without some one saying oh look these guys can be swayed to your way of thinking.

and you do get multiple chances to sway some of darth thantons most loyal or atleast powerful including one of his apprentices to your side through the affect you have in being able to match thanton in the political as well as power wise.

also as other posters have said the whole getting ashara to admit to the peace is a lie line is an obviuos first step to her falling so what she doesn't become evil incarnate. That isn't what the sith are about any ways they are about freedom, freedom that mostly turns them into evil douches sure but theres absolutely nothing that requires it or says ashara should be that way even if she does fall to the dark side eventually.

thats not to say i think the story is perfect heck it would of been incrediably awesome if zash or some one had said hey i have been thinking about how you can match thanaton not just in personal power but with your power base. Heres a couple moffs that might just might be willing to back you here's why they might be interested here's why they might not, who do you want to try and convince.

Edited by magicallypuzzled

I prefer the SI story.

The SW is just so AWESOME and everyone loves you and will fall to the dark side just cuz you say so....I kinda hate that sorta thing.

I'd argue that the SI has more freedom (and probably more power) than the SW at the end considering the SW is the Emperor's lackey.

The SI just has to attend Dark Council meetings on occasion.

I Completely agree the Sith Inquisitor story is good for a background story. The difference between the Sith Warrior and the Inquisitor is that the Warrior story board you actually feel as if your moving the empire closer to the brink of war and that there actually is a legitimate power struggle that leads back to being true to the Emperor. In the Inquisitor story that feeling is lost in the search to find a cure for yourself while completely ignoring the war and the power struggles in the empire. Although you are forced to fight Darth Thanaton; the emphasis is still on surviving rather moving the empire towards victory in the war against the republic

I know Ive said this a billion times already but..

In my opinion the problem with inquisitor story was not what he did (collecting artifacts, ghosts etc), its more about how he did it. It seemed that inquisitor didn't have an original thought in his head at all. Everybody told him to do stuff and he was like "derp, ok. I go do that". Maybe it was part of that weak writer, she made it look so bad. I mean he COULD have figured out some of that stuff ON HIS OWN for chrissakes. Not like Zash: "You need to get this ritual." SI: "Derp, ok."

And the most infuriating thing, Ashara, starts off great, then it all goes down in a crash when they get on the ship. Ashara goes "No! I will never turn bad!" and inquisitor is like "Derp, ok, want a muffin?" He doesn't even TRY to press the matter or manipulate her further.

Seriously, I would never have let this through quality control if I was doing it.

Edited by Karkais

I know Ive said this a billion times already but..

In my opinion the problem with inquisitor story was not what he did (collecting artifacts, ghosts etc), its more about how he did it. It seemed that inquisitor didn't have an original thought in his head at all. Everybody told him to do stuff and he was like "derp, ok. I go do that". Maybe it was part of that weak writer, she made it look so bad. I mean he COULD have figured out some of that stuff ON HIS OWN for chrissakes. Not like Zash: "You need to get this ritual." SI: "Derp, ok."

And the most infuriating thing, Ashara, starts off great, then it all goes down in a crash when they get on the ship. Ashara goes "No! I will never turn bad!" and inquisitor is like "Derp, ok, want a muffin?" He doesn't even TRY to press the matter or manipulate her further.

Seriously, I would never have let this through quality control if I was doing it.

your an apprentice at that point and your master is willingly having you look for the secrets of one of the most powerful sith in the history of the sith what exactly are you suppose to say. in contrast the sith warriors master has you kill your owen spies and an admiral that could of helped defeat the republic and you say derp ok.

I don;t know where you get ashara not continuely falling more and more to the darkside but i suspect you just don;t do subtle.

your an apprentice at that point and your master is willingly having you look for the secrets of one of the most powerful sith in the history of the sith what exactly are you suppose to say. in contrast the sith warriors master has you kill your owen spies and an admiral that could of helped defeat the republic and you say derp ok.

I don;t know where you get ashara not continuely falling more and more to the darkside but i suspect you just don;t do subtle.

Not exactly correct, the SW is manipulated by Baras into helping reignite the war and take out anyone who is a threat to Baras's power grab. He doesn't have you go kill the people to weaken the Empire for the hell of it, it's all about making his power grab successful. The SW isn't blindly killing off people, he is led to believe he is helping to touch the war off again by completing Plan Zero.

Baras's mistake was trying to kill the SW and overreaching in his thirst for power and control. In the end, it proved his undoing.

Just looking at the galactic impact of all the class stories, the SI had the weakest affect on the galaxy of any of the classes. They artifact/ghost hunted,consolidated their power base,repaired their body and reasserted control, nabbed a super weapon and then chased Thanaton around. Nothing that affected the restarting of the war nor impacted the galaxy.

All the SI did was accumulate personal power and then snag a seat on the DC. it was a decent story, but if you want to point the finger at one class doing more harm to the Empire than good and having no/little affect on the galaxy as a whole, then look no further than the SI.

Edited by Temeluchus

...snip

First, I don't think we can believe companion stories are over and done with. Bioware has to continue them in some fashion through expansions or something. (please do so bioware, love learning more about my companions)

Second, Ashara is able to be manipulated towards the darkside. I don't have exact quotes, but she starts saying things that have a decidedly darkside tinge to them. Besides, how exactly are you going to corrupt her, the two prime examples of falling to the dark side (Anakin and Luke Skywalker) are tempted not by threats to themselves, but by threatening their loved ones. Ashara has no more loved ones, you killed them all (or at least I did as a DS SI). Therefore her corruption is going to need to take a different path. Hopefully bioware elaborates on this at some point.