why is pve gear progression a longer process

I've been pvping since launch and just recently decided to quit wzs and play the other half of the game I neglected to participate in. I noticed pretty quickly that to earn the pve equivalent to the wz gear it takes a heck of a lot longer. Rakata is basically battle master and columi is champion....it took no time at all to gear up in champion or bm especially back when when it was rng bags and you could potentially get a piece free and clear from a single daily bag. Then there's the dailies on Ilum, belsavis, black hole that can take quite a long time to do to buy your relics, implants, ear piece if you want them. I'm not saying progression is bad just that for time invested it would seem that pve gear takes far longer.

It depends if you're doing it completely with pugs or if you're in a guild (as well as your relationship with the guild).

One of our long-time guildies rolled a new tank alt. He dinged 50, bought recruit gear then ran HM Ops. Because the rest of the group was already geared, he got most of the drops and was pretty much in full Rakata in just a couple of days.

Because you can't start your gear progression at lvl 10.

Take for example this.

I level a new toon, I only pvp with it and I proceed to hit rank 40 by the time i hit lvl 30.

I now have 20 levels worth to hit the 3500 ranked comms mark and the 2k warzone comm mark. I can step into a WH weap and 2 -3 other pieces of gear.

Now if i was to quest and dungeon grind to 50 its a different matter.

That being said with a decent guild its really not hard to fully gear in columi. take 3 guildies that are comfortable with HM LI, try to class stack in your favor (if you are a trooper you want 3 other troopers) then run HM LI till you hvae almost fully geared out. Mix in 2x pvp relics, some implants and an earpiece out of the GTN and you are fully columi'd out with a rakata chest in under 2 hours.

I find PvP being a longer gear grind then PvE. I have a level 50 marauder that i leveled up to 50 about 3 to 4 weeks ago, he is BiS besides missing to 2 26 armourings, and hilts for PvE.

PvP wise he has 5 peices of WH, and rest BM... be a bit of time before he is fully WH, and even longer then that to be BiS for PvP.

I will admit that i crafted a bit of gear(something you cant do for pvp) for my marauder, and spent black hole comms that i had stored up on 3 other toons on him with the help of legacy gear. But what i had saved up at the time, was only accumulated in about a month (I run HM EC twice a week, BH/rakghoul weekly on 4 toons,SM EC, and NIM KP, and usually 10 to 12 GF ques a week), i dont think i could of accumulated the same amount of pvp gear for him across my 3 toons spending the same amount of time and effort though.

TL;DR: More toons you run through PvE quicker the process will become

I level a new toon, I only pvp with it and I proceed to hit rank 40 by the time i hit lvl 30.

I now have 20 levels worth to hit the 3500 ranked comms mark and the 2k warzone comm mark. I can step into a WH weap and 2 -3 other pieces of gear.

Did they recently made it where your valor rank could exceed you player level pre level 50?

Battlemaster gearing is probably the fastest in the game, way faster than Rakata or Columi or Tionese. However, War Hero is a much longer grind, and probably BH/Campaign is faster atm.

And honestly, PvE progression is all about the gear, and that's fine. However, gear grinding in PvP has been criticised a lot, and rightfully so. I don't say the gear should be equal, like in GW2, cause it still destroys the sense of progression, but it may still be a bit faster.

columi and rakata are nothing compared to getting black hole gear. That one has to be the worst to do, I read a chart somewhere that it would take 6 weeks of constant daily grinding to get fully geared.

If you have Rakata and can run SM EC and HM EC, you can do it 2.5 weeks even if you don't win a single campaign loot roll.

http://dulfy.net/2012/06/25/black-hole-comms-and-gearing-in-1-3/

PvE gear is super easy to get if you have a good guild.