Vanguard Nerf? Ion Cell now reduces all damage dealt by 5% while active. Why?

Haydon

I've noticed that on single target, tank and spank type fights, that my campaign geared Vanguard isn't holding threat off of equally geared DPS (Command and Sentinel in this case). I used to be able to maintain threat in these situations just using my most efficient threat rotation, but several times, I found I had to taunt mobs off of both (I was guarding the sentinel at the time).

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest the class is broken, but I definitely feel like my threat generation is compromised to a degree.

Are there any math nerds out there to sit through a few parses for us :)

My threat generation seems pretty low and I'm constantly wrestling against dps for aggro. I can do it, but usually it's pretty hard work, even single target boss fights unless I use my taunts on every cd.

Healing wise my healers love it, I don't take a lot of damage unless it's a pretty nasty pull. I also have a (sage) healer and I believe I'm comparable to the rest of the guild tanks for taking damage, certainly we don't have all the def cd's the others have, but I think that side is more or less ok.

Damage output has definitely suffered imo, but yeah the threat output is my biggest concern. I don't see a lot of posts or QQ about it tho, very strange... math nerds to the rescue? :D

I run into no threat issues on my PT tank. I tell my DPS to go full throttle from the start.

Jet Charge (or whatever you VG's call it, the gap closer) > Stock Strike > Shoulder Cannon during GCD > HIB > Shoulder Cannon during GCD > Energy Blast (if it's up) > Shoulder Cannon GCD > TAUNT > Ion Pulse > Shoulder Cannon GCD > Use your free Flame Sweeps/Explosive Surges or Ion Cannon/Flamethrower

If your Ion Cell doesn't proc from your Stockstrike (it got resisted), prepare to taunt immediately after Shoulder Cannon, and then use your AoE taunt next.

I run with well-geared Mara's, Merc's, and Snipers in my raids. No one pulls off me unless I derp around in the beginning and not use my taunts in my opening rotation correctly.

EDIT: And no, our threat generation did not get nerfed. The 5% damage reduction in Ion Cell isn't that bad. What you guys are experiencing is the new resist mechanics. Before 2.0, the majority (or all) of a PT/VG's threat came from tech abilities that could never be resisted/missed/whatever. Well, now they can be, which is why all DPS classes have to stack accuracy to 100/110%. So in the past, you very rarely had to use your taunts to maximize your threat in the opening of the fight, but now you have to. I got used to doing it on my Jug in pre-2.0, so it's not a big deal. Hell, if I don't use my taunts appropriately in my opening rotation on my Sin tank, someone can pull off me if my Wither/Discharge/Shock gets resisted.

Edited by ScytheEleven