Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

But if it is Makeb, and Makeb is only available through, say, the Cartel shop, well... Pay-2-Gay would be a bad thing.

'Released with' and 'packaged with' aren't the same thing, though. I don't think they'd make the mistake of putting it in as Pay2Gay.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why they have to wait for Makeb to add SGRAs with existing companions, but if this is true I'm just glad they're finally getting around to it.

The best guess is that there's new companion dialogue on Makeb, so they record(-ed) lines for Makeb and the new romance stories at the same time.

Until Free2Play actually drops we unfortunately won't know what EA/Bioware are capable of sinking to.

Making Pay2Gay about the newest unresolved question. Let's make a list of those:

• Are we still on track to see SGR in game this year?
  • Will it be with current companions, those we have yet to meet, or some of both?
  • With existing companions, will one have to begin the companion story over, or will the content be available to those who have already played through it?
  • Will SGR ever extend beyond companion characters, to include occasional [Flirt] prompts with mission NPCs?
  • Will SGR require any sort of separate purchase beyond the game itself?

Am I missing any biggies, or is that about it?

Considering Makeb isn't class stories, any same-sex content wrapped up with is most likely just going to be the usual NPC [Flirt] options, rather than anything lasting and interesting with companions. The only companion they've advertised is HK-51, so they aren't going to have any with Makeb - if they do bring companions with Makeb, I'd be very surprised.

My "best guess" is that they are simply expanding content for all current companions (with or without romance) and SGRAs are a part of that.

These new dialogs may not have anything to do with the Makeb storyline and it's possible they can be triggered at any time. They may expand the companion affection cap from 10000 to 15000 or something and add on more conversations. Just speculation, ofc.

• With existing companions, will one have to begin the companion story over, or will the content be available to those who have already played through it?

The quote posted earlier would suggest that you won't be able to romance a character whose story you've already progressed through.

Personally, I thought that would be how they'd do it from the start, and took it into account when I created the characters I've played so far. A straight female Bounty Hunter and a straight male Smuggler, so I'd both get some time playing as a woman and some time [flirt]ing with women.

Edited by JediMB

The quote posted earlier would suggest that you won't be able to romance a character whose story you've already progressed through.

Personally, I thought that would be how they'd do it from the start, and took it into account when I created the characters I've played so far. A straight female Bounty Hunter and a straight male Smuggler, so I'd both get some time playing as a woman and some time [flirt]ing with women.

Well. You're certainly not going to have a lack of [Flirt]s with women playing a male Smuggler.

Which quote? And how do you draw that inferrence?

The "We can't guarantee that a character you play at launch would have romance options 'unlocked' for an existing companion" quote.

And I just think that, as a developer, it would make the most sense to implement the new romance arcs where they'll both be on equal footing with the old ones and feel natural to the player. That may mean that many will have to start over with a class they've already played, but it's still overwhelmingly the "best" option.

Well. You're certainly not going to have a lack of [Flirt]s with women playing a male Smuggler.

Oh, yes, I've noticed. I'm also looking forward to seeing how the romance with Risha will turn out.

Or not turn out, since I think I'm set to run into Akaavi Spar soon, and I haven't completely decided how my Smuggler is going to change at this point.

Edited by JediMB

That may mean that many will have to start over with a class they've already played, but it's still overwhelmingly the "best" option.

I think that the overwhelmingly 'best' option would be to have all of the non-event-based romantic conversations (specifically the romantic ones) reset when SGRA comes in (you can flirt with Kira, for example, after a certain class quest - but if you choose not to it doesn't stop you flirting with her in a non-class conversation later on, so if that second conversation and all ones related to it reset, pursuing the conversation and relationship becomes possible even if you're at level 50).

It would potentially reset all relationships with companions that might exist but running through half a dozen flirty conversations to reinstate your marriage with a companion is a lot, lot better than havign people have to play from 1 to 50 all over again.

Alternatively, and probably even better, would be if all existing romantic relationships were 'protected' from the reset. Smuggler Bruceologist is married to Risha - Bruceologist's relationship statuses don't reset because he has a current and active relationship. Jedi Knight Anabel has no relationships because she couldn't pursue Kira - her romantic conversations (all of them, including the ones with Doc) reset.

Just a thought.

Edited by Kioma

The "We can't guarantee that a character you play at launch would have romance options 'unlocked' for an existing companion" quote.

Okay, I have always just taken that to mean that they were not then sure if existing companions would ever have SGRs, but I can see where you're getting that. Damn ambivalence! This is just why clarification would be a nice thing. Like, as an anniversary present.

If it's anything like the usual 'anniversaries' people have, Bioware will be scrambling around trying to find a box of chocolates that hasn't been fully eaten yet, while we stand in the doorway with our arms crossed looking angry and disappointed.

"Bioware, I made reservations."

"Yes, honey, I know, I just got so wrapped up..."

"You've been promising for months!"

"Aha! I found it!"

"That's a twix."

If it's anything like the usual 'anniversaries' people have, Bioware will be scrambling around trying to find a box of chocolates that hasn't been fully eaten yet, while we stand in the doorway with our arms crossed looking angry and disappointed.

"Bioware, I made reservations."

"Yes, honey, I know, I just got so wrapped up..."

"You've been promising for months!"

"Aha! I found it!"

"That's a twix."

Interesting thing is I don't know a single couple, personally, for whom this is the case. <shrugs> Point's made, though. As anniversaries go a substantial update would be a heck of a box of chocolates - that we almost certainly won't get.

Okay, I have always just taken that to mean that they were not then sure if existing companions would ever have SGRs, but I can see where you're getting that. Damn ambivalence! This is just why clarification would be a nice thing. Like, as an anniversary present.

I always took it that that way too. I think in context that's probably the correct way to read it.

I really don't see BW doing a relationship reset. There is waaaaay too much chance of it generating ill will. I think we're all pretty much in agreement that nobody really minds SGR as long as they don't have to actually deal with it if they don't want to. A reset would make people deal with it in a way that a lot of players would probably find very annoying. It would be nice if they did something to allow existing characters to enjoy SGR, but I can't really think of a practical way for them to do it.

I'm not sure with stuff like this since I somewhat skirt the line between being a casual and a power gamer, but I don't think rerolling is exactly prohibitive of people enjoying SGR. It's, like, what an average of an hour a level to get through act 1? That means with a little dedication you can get an alt ready for SGR with a serious weekend's playing.

Well, if that is what is required to experience it, I have always said that I would be content to re-roll. I've rerolled in the past because I became dissatisfied with my advanced class, with my name and, in at least one case, with my hair style (I know, I know :rolleyes:).

Still, I'd think that a [Flirt] node could be worked in to appear on SGR companion conversations even if you have already passed the point at which the OGR split is passed. Doubtless, those who have been actually working to implement this have a far better grasp of the technical challenged and doubtless these have figured into their decisions in no small manner.

Which is another reason having some sort of clarification in this regard from those creating the content would be greatly more interesting than speculation. That is a hint.

Interesting thing is I don't know a single couple, personally, for whom this is the case. <shrugs> Point's made, though. As anniversaries go a substantial update would be a heck of a box of chocolates - that we almost certainly won't get.

Like Bioware, I'm working with stereotypes.

My folks always just roll the anniversary in alongside Christmas... which may be what BioWare means to do as well.

Edited by Uluain

My folks always just roll the anniversary in alongside Christmas... which may be what BioWare means to do as well.

If they keep to schedule for 1.5, it looks like SGR will have its very own traditional Thanksgiving Coming Out to make the whole family feel mildly awkward.

A reset would make people deal with it in a way that a lot of players would probably find very annoying. It would be nice if they did something to allow existing characters to enjoy SGR, but I can't really think of a practical way for them to do it.

A reset could be optional.

I also know that some who have done the OGRA requested a reset ability as well, so it appeals to a wider audience.

It's possible that they will somehow add on a set of new conversations that can be triggered at any time. If you are already lvl 50 and finished with a character's current conversation path, this new set of talks can still be accessed (one after the other).

If you are starting a fresh lvl 1 character, this new set of conversations could be intermixed with the old ones.

Basically, my hope is that SGRA will come in the form of entirely new conversations vs. tweaking existing conversations.

Edited by stuffystuffs

Basically, my hope is that SGRA will come in the form of entirely new conversations vs. tweaking existing conversations.

That would tend to fit with what Daniel Erickson said about writers, lead time and not wanting just to alter existing work, so I'd be hopeful in that regard. Then again, if it is coming this year, it already is what it will be, so we will just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope that this thread and our concerns really has been considered in the process.

Nice to hear something come up from an actual developer about SGR being in Makeb. To what end, still a mystery.

I'm in agreement with whoever was saying the way Bioware lets out information lately is weird. I feel like we should be hearing all kinds of talk about what's in Makeb already. But, maybe since a lot of the anger from the community has come from the feeling that so much is talked about/promised/hyped that they're like, "ok, let's not say anything anymore until we've got the full details and dates ironed out".

I think that the overwhelmingly 'best' option would be to have all of the non-event-based romantic conversations (specifically the romantic ones) reset when SGRA comes in (you can flirt with Kira, for example, after a certain class quest - but if you choose not to it doesn't stop you flirting with her in a non-class conversation later on, so if that second conversation and all ones related to it reset, pursuing the conversation and relationship becomes possible even if you're at level 50).

Well, if we're gonna talk about companion mission resets, there's no reason why it couldn't simply be done through the Legacy system.

Have a "Reset Story" perk for each companion that can be purchased for 10,000 credits. If possible, it should also set all previously finished conversations/missions for that character to not give any more experience points, so as to avoid abuse.

It would potentially reset all relationships with companions that might exist but running through half a dozen flirty conversations to reinstate your marriage with a companion is a lot, lot better than havign people have to play from 1 to 50 all over again.

That's exactly what I hope they do, and what I would see as the fairest choice, considering that, by now, many of us have already been imaginig for a long time how wonderful a relationship with "X romanceable companion" would be :p , and it would be sad and disappointing if we couldn't get it. At least thats my case, hehehe. :o

Edited by rahadnak

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you!

Happy birthday, dear unsatisfactory boilerplate statement,

Happy birthday to you!

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

They grow up so fast.

Edited by Uluain