Should I be affronted

ajfrankj

That has been the same since the original Trilogy. The Empire has always been mostly brits. And the rebellion/republic, Americans. The thing is, i think the accent suits the villans. Indeed, many movies have used british actors/accents for villans. It is a fact that we do make good bad guys (Was that an unintentional pun?). Dont be offended.

At first, i was the same. I wondered if this was some dig at brits like us. And why were we portrayed as the bad guys. Then i just analyzed it a bit. and realised American accents wouldnt have worked as well.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.

Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?

No.

Well....except that our dear leader over here in the colonies doesn't think much of you Brit's over there.....you know since clearly that slavery stuff was all your fault!

British accents are cool and the Empire is waaaay cooler than the stuffy goody-too-shoes Republic with their holier than though attitudes and rules!

meh....stay British my friend!

The Brits are the villains of American history. It's no surprise that they associate the accent with imperial tyranny. If it was a British game, they'd probably speak with "Allo Allo" style German accents.

Anyway, the best line in the game is delivered by a Welshman.

"Grathan's trouble, see? Big trouble. Mad scientist type. Likes weapons, cyborgs, droids, ergonomic chairs..."

Genius. Maybe could have been done West Country, possibly Geordie at a push, but I think the Welsh accent nails it. It just wouldn't have sounded right with an American twang.

The spice dealer in Hutta's palace should have been a Scouser though.

No.

Well....except that our dear leader over here in the colonies doesn't think much of you Brit's over there.....you know since clearly that slavery stuff was all your fault!

British accents are cool and the Empire is waaaay cooler than the stuffy goody-too-shoes Republic with their holier than though attitudes and rules!

meh....stay British my friend!

Nicely put. Can't comment on the leader part, but i like it. List to this guy ^

And your point would be what?

I prefer British accents to American (republic) any day...probably why I play my Imperial toons more.

It does feel an awful lot more comfy and welcoming than the grating monotone I've come to expect of Republic NPCs and characters - hardly surprising that I've more Imperial characters than Pub :p

It's just weird without the natural inflection and differing notes that come with the various accents of the Imperials. The American/Republic accent is very alien to me in that regard.

It's like this, I'm British. While I don't live in G.B. I still think of myself as being British. The thing is The Republic is American and the sith have British sounding voices. The Sith are the bad guys in this game. Even though I play them.

Should I therefore be affronted that the makers of this game have used British sounding voices for the sith?

i actually don't even notice any British accents really and i played both sides maybe i'm just dumb

The Empire and the Sith are not the same thing. First. Second. The people in the empire are more regimented cuz failure often leads to death from the Sith. So they speak in a more regimented way ie. "proper english". But the people in the empire other than the sith are not neccessarily evil. They are just working for the good of their government cuz they think its better than the republics form of govenment. So empire voices should not offend you as a british person cuz the empire isnt evil. Its just lead by evil people who, by the way DONT all have brittish accents. So dont worry, bioware doesnt think you are evil. ;)

And your point would be what?

I prefer British accents to American (republic) any day...probably why I play my Imperial toons more.

The actors' accents are the reason that I have no idea what either of the sith story lines are about. spacespacespacespace ok, that one will give me companion affection, spacespacespacespace