Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:

• Mastar Dar’Nala (PvP) will transfer to The Bastion (PvP)
  • Gav Daragon (RP-PvE) will transfer to Begeren Colony (RP-PvE)
  • Dalborra (PvE) will transfer to The Harbinger (PvE)

We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric

Hey everyone,

I have an update for you on our long term plans for the APAC servers. Before I do that though I want to let you know up front that we still have quite a bit of work to do to make this happen so I cannot provide any timeframes for you today.

We know that when we asked you, the community, for your opinions on what we should do, we received quite a variety of suggested solutions. Some people wanted to be able to transfer to higher populated North American servers, some suggested merging the three existing APAC servers into one large APAC server, and then there were a host of other ideas as well. However, the one common theme from the suggestions, which we heard clearly, is that everyone wants the opportunity to play on higher populated servers. With this in mind, we have evaluated all of the options and determined that the best solution, that will offer the best long term play experience, is to merge the APAC servers with higher populated North American servers.

Getting to the point of being able to merge the servers is going to be a multistep process. First off we need to update our Free Character Transfer System to include the game changes that we have made recently along with the upcoming changes in Game Update 2.0 and the Digital Expansion: Rise of the Hutt Cartel. We will then offer Free Character Transfers to anyone currently playing on an APAC server to a North American server of the same gameplay type, specifically:

We will also need to update our server merge technology at which point we will ultimately merge each of the APAC servers into the corresponding North American servers as indicated above. We are moving as quickly as we can to make this happen, but we want to make sure this is a smooth transition, so it will take some time.

Why did we decide not to merge the three APAC servers into one large APAC server? We decided this for two main reasons. 1. The issue in doing this is that two play-styles (PvE, PvE-RP, or PvP) would need to sacrifice their desired play-style in order to have one server with a higher population. We feel that it is important that each player is allowed to continue to play SWTOR in their preferred play-style. Therefore, accommodating all the existing play-styles was a primary goal. By allowing you to move to a NA West server, you will be able to keep your play-style. 2. The move to North American servers better delivers on our ultimate goal of providing the best play experience, with the most possible players, long term.

I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have them. I know the next big question will be “when” and as soon as I have that information to release, I will do so. Thank you for your continued patience on this. I know it took longer than you would have liked but I intend to continue to give you information as soon as I can!

-eric

There goes our ping then.

Back to WoW for me :)

Check ya Bioware.

Well no that was not the most common response most people wanted to play on an apac server.Why we are not able to transfer to an apac server.I play on mdn and could not care less about world pvp and would be happy to go to a pve server as most people.This is choice is going to make alot of people my self included that will be deciding what to put our $15 per month saving towards as i strongly doubt i will continue to play on a us server.What was the point of delaying this 6 months when all along you knew this would be the decision you would make.EA and bioware are a complete joke 6 MONTHS people have had faith in bioware to not screw us all over and continued to play on terrible servers only to be told that if you had rerolled and abandoned the apac servers you would be in the better position.this is the worst decision made by this game to date stalled for 6 Months with no word the screwed over Edited by Jazzaaaa

Hey everyone,

-eric

What can we say but, thanks for nothing. No seriously. As nothing would probably have been better than this. Essentially you listened to what we asked for, and ignored the majority of our requests to deliver this crap instead.

Thankyou for throwing us onto servers where we will always be lagging behind, which by the way is just brilliant in the middle of a boss fight during an ops run, or in pvp where your high burst pvp scenarios are all based around quick kills.

To better highlight the mind blowing incompetence behind this decision they made, I will take but a moment to easily suggest a vastly superior idea that would not only accommodate those players who might prefer high ping in order to stay on the same server type, but also the larger apac community who want to avoid being stuffed into a US server and putting up with the ping.

Step 1. Announce a date for an APAC super server merge, with a period of several weeks prior to the merge offering free transfers for players to the nominated same server type in the US. Those who don't decide to use the transfer option will be automatically merged into the new super server.

Step 2. Implement it.

Seriously, how the hell is that so hard for you guys to get your heads around?

Eric Musco...What are you doing to us!

Its simple what the majority of APAC players wanted: A merge of all the servers to fix pop.

Even now the pop on RP and PVE is not bad, PVP is only suffering majorly.

RP-PVE-PVP (RP-PVE Server?) ... Merge..-> free transfers to people who want to be exclusive.

Fight for what we want please or tell us otherwise!

It seems like the most obvious compromise would have been to do both. Let those transfer off that want to transfer off and then combine the remaining people into one server.

Sadly it seems basic common sense isn't a prerequisite for working at EA/Bioware

Wow, disappointing. I shouldn't be surprised you took the easy, cheap way out of this. People who valued population over ping have already rolled on US servers, but not the ones you are merging into necessarily. My "preferred play-style" is not to have stupidly high latency and be instantly (well not quite) at a disadvantage. So you're removing the only good thing about APAC (besides the people <3) the latency, and replacing it with an option we already had, playing on a US server.

Thanks for not leading us on into the expansion though this makes it a nice clean break. Seems I'll be going to work more rested in the coming months!

I have to say it, you guys have handled this awfully. This is worse than doing nothing, which you proved you are pretty awesome at. Best of luck everyone /wave

Edited by SpannersSF

To respond after A WHOLE year just to F.UCKING IGNORE the feedback that APAC players have been giving you for so long is just *********** idiocy.

The community that I have personally struggled and worked so hard at to survive and grow has just been *********** SHAT on by Bioware. This is a *********** joke. Obviously 'Core' aren't going to continue playing because pvp with 200+ ms is just a joke.

Overall this is quite upsetting but ultimately we have all been waiting for this failure of a game to die and now it finally has.

Hey everyone,

-eric

On behalf of myself and anyone I have ever spoken to who currently plays on APAC servers, this is the wrong decision. Lets be totally clear, I would prefer you did nothing than do this.

My ideal scenario is still to merge all 3 APAC servers.

For me, and I'm sure many others, the most crucial elements to this issue and the reasons we continue to play this game are in the following order of importance:

1. Ping

2. Population

3. Legacy

4. Server Type

Lets break it down:

• If you remove my choice of Server Type, I will still play, because I have my own Legacy, high Population and low Ping.
  • If you remove my Legacy, thats alright. I will start over willingly if I have a high Population and low Ping.
  • If the population dies, its not ideal, but I will still play because I have low Ping (this is the situation right now).

Instead of attempting to solve issue number 2 (the biggest issue in-game currently), even if it means sacrificing issues 3 and 4, you have instead totally eroded the biggest reason I am still playing. Without element 1, it doesn't matter how good 2, 3 & 4 are, its no longer worth playing this game.

It'd be awesome to know you have read and comprehend the point I'm trying to make, even if you do not change your course of action. But just knowing that you understand why I believe this is a terrible outcome would bring me some small vestige of satisfaction.

TL;DR Any solution that even slightly improves populations and still lets us keep our low ping is good enough. Any solution that increases our ping, regardless of population increases is a terrible one.

Edited by LightAndShade

On top of my last post I would like to reflect on EA's/Bioware's actions of late.

In hindsight EA/Bioware has been stringing us along when in reality the year long contracts for the APAC servers are running out early April. We have all been fuc.ked royally and looking back on it now i honestly think that this was their intention all along and we've just been milked with all this 2.0 BS and the release of cartel coins

Personally I feel really raughted and am never going to buy another EA game again.

Best of luck to everybody, it's been fun while it's lasted and I Hope to see some of you around in some other games.

All they had to do was offer Unrestricted server transfers for everyone to keep everyone happy, not just APAC but everyone playing the game lmao.

I think Jeck hit the nail on the head. It coincides with the annual server renewal. Bioware made the judgment that APAC servers are going to die eventually anyway, so rather than leaving it hanging and then give out transfers later, decided to just close it down to save costs.

I think Jeck hit the nail on the head. It coincides with the annual server renewal. Bioware made the judgment that APAC servers are going to die eventually anyway, so rather than leaving it hanging and then give out transfers later, decided to just close it down to save costs.

The thing is tho, Unrestricted server transfers should be here now. Shut it down or whatever but Unrestricted Server Transfers should be here by now. fyi, APAC doesn't concern me but I feel for them. Offering Unrestricted Server Transfers instead of continuing the restricted one would've been a better choice. Then look at APAC's population again to see what they should do. They could've merged all three servers and Offer Unrestricted Server Transfers which will keep as many APAC people happy as well as Universally, keeping the players playing the game happy.