View Single Post

JediBoadicea
05.01.2019 , 07:55 PM | #91
I'm excited about the potential for a variety of set bonuses and for tactical items. I'm going to start this with my suggestions, and then second some other folks' suggestions from this thread that I think are particularly good.

Crafting Set Bonuses - Others have made these suggestions too, but just to get it on the record:
  • Increased yield on gathering from nodes.
  • Reduced time on crafting items.
  • Increased critical chance on crafting items, or crafting crits get you two extra items instead of the one extra. (Obviously the latter wouldn't impact the chance of an augment slot, but maybe the equivalent would be that you're guaranteed the highest possible MK augment slot regardless of the item rating of the shell.)

Points Gain Set Bonuses - Others have obviously also suggested points gain increase set bonuses, but these are the areas I think would be least likely to overlap with or undercut existing items or core game progression.
  • Increased Social points gain
  • Increased Valor points gain
  • Increased Reputation points gain. (To encourage the idea that each faction should be its own commitment of time, perhaps the pieces of this set bonus can be acquired from the faction's rep vendor at various stages of rep advancement, so that gain only really gets faster in the later stages after you've already dedicated some time to that faction specifically. Either that or just make this a tactical item, that again you can only get once you're at Hero or Champion. It would be important I think for this to apply to when you pop consumable rep grant items too, because then those of us who want to collect rep set bonuses but PVE with a different set bonus could save our trophies, then switch gear and pop them all w/ bonus intact. Keeping weekly caps unchanged should mitigate people advancing too quickly, but players would still be rewarded by not having to do quite as much grinding. I'm looking at you GSI, the only rep faction I have yet to get from Champion to Legend because I can't stomach digging for things and never finding anything..)

I know that Travel was mentioned as one of the possible categories but honestly I think character and legacy Perks already cover this really extensively, I can't think of any gains that would make a set like this worth grinding when it's so much easier to buy the perks.

Cosmetic Tactical Items - The thought with these is that they would apply effects that are already seen in action on avatars in game (so not like making people look like another species that won't fit the animations), as just a cosmetic on-all-the-time effect. These would be amazing for RP, but I think they'd have appeal to non RPers too. Some appearances I can think of:
  • Spectral. You can already see this applied to avatars when you get that datacron in the shrine on Voss. Some different colors of spectral would be nice.
  • Hologram. You can already see this effect on avatars when they use the holoprojector toy.
  • Dark side corruption on skin tones. One for full corruption, and one for halfway. I know we can achieve this by actual alignment, but maybe we want to wear light side alignment gear, or we just want to RP? No harm making us grind for an item that would do this separately.
  • Plagued. Just use the rakghoul miasma and eyes without any of the convulsing animations that go with the status effect.
  • Berserker. Some sort of reddish or purple or black dark side fog or energy, rather like Sentinels/Marauders get when their stacks are up. I suppose this might make it hard for people to distinguish when their stacks are up if they do that by animation only, although you'd still get the indicator on your hotbar. This would be a great item to put up for Dark Side tokens on the vendor.
  • Light-infused. Same as berserker above, just bluish or white or gold. Again a great item for the Light Side tokens vendor.

Ok, that's it for my own ideas. Here are some ideas from other people that I loved enough to want to call out and lend some additional support to:

Quote: Originally Posted by LeeThorogood View Post
Another idea for a Tactical Item, transform rocket boost into a toggle so it can be used as a legit mount rather than for just a short period of time. It would be nice to be able to use the jetpack that's apart of my character's chestpiece as a legit mount.
^^^^ I would love this so much!!!! I might use this as a legit mount even on characters who don't have an armor piece that's affected, because then I could use some of the clunkier boot models in game and pretend they're legitimate bootjets for my techeads! Yes please! (But don't remove rocket boost! Leave the perk unchanged. So maybe this is less of a request for a Tactical item and more a request for a new mount. )

Quote: Originally Posted by LeeThorogood View Post
How about a Tactical Item that lets you use the rest & recharge ability of another class i.e. Seethe on a Sith Warrior.
^^^ I love this too. I imagine that the only way to avoid a complicated need for a menu option attached to the item is just to create eight versions of this item, one for each class. Maybe put them on the Dark Side and Light Side token vendors too, Republic class versions on the Light Side and Imperial class versions on the Dark Side. Just please don't make them have dark/light side alignment requirement to equip, because that would totally defeat the purpose; absolutely make them alignment neutral, but there's no harm making those token vendors relevant again for the purpose of amassing your collection.

Quote: Originally Posted by WalkerGain View Post
What about a tactical item that grants some degree of stealth? Like someone mentioned before here, maybe it could be to a lesser degree than native stealth classes. That's what I would like to see.
^^ I like this, but I can see how it might be really hard to implement while not unbalancing broad aspects of the game. Maybe if there's a way to make sure that this item doesn't work inside a WZ or a FP/Ops? Maybe as long as it doesn't affect players, only NPCs? And maybe it could have a hefty cooldown that is triggered upon engaging in combat so that it can't be used again for x amount of time after you kill a mob. That way you can't totally cheap PVE content entirely as a non-stealth class, but if you are being very careful about pathing a resource gathering route you might be able to make things quicker if you're smart and careful. (That's a whole lot of caveats and restrictions on an item, though. Not sure if this one is really practical.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Nick_J_Herrmann View Post
COMPANION INFLUENCE BOOST. A boost to companion influence gained from companion items, conversations, etc. would be of great benefit.
^ Yes please! I think this is a good candidate for either/both a set bonus or a tactical item.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nick_J_Herrmann View Post
DECORATION DROP BOOST. I need about 300 more of the [Fire Sconce]s that drop from open-world mobs on Ossus. I think RPers would be much more inclined to play content like the SOLO mode Flashpoints, open-world planets like Nar Shaddaa and Alderaan and all the others that used to drop the datacron decorations, and especially Ossus if there were a much higher drop rate for decorations.
^ I'm torn on this. As a dedicated RPer myself, I still think it's perfectly fair to expect RPers to grind just like everyone else. That being said, with Ossus decos being BOP it does make it a little frustrating to be so completely at the mercy of the drop table with no recourse elsewhere. (I actually don't mind them being BOP, it's not bad to reward people with exclusivity for being willing to put in the work, but I too would like more Fire Sconces and having no control at all over when I get them no matter how long I grind can be disheartening. As has been said a million times, decos are not like mounts or gear where you only need to get lucky once and then you can unlock it forever.) I don't know how hard it is to actually adjust drop chances on a player by player basis, item or no item. Maybe making it duplicate the items that do drop for you instead? I don't know if that's any easier, technically speaking. But I can imagine that being a check that's done after the fact. Drop chance determined by whatever rules are already in place, then one additional logic step: If decoration item dropped, multiply quantity.