*Spoilers* Will Lana Become Unhinged?

BellumEstBellum

whaaaaat? of course not . She is hurt because she trusted Theron , I think she feel the betrayer more then the player lol who half wanna smooche him and the other half wanna kill him because of his new haircut :D

she is a sith lord , who has education and training and a leveled head on her shoulder . Even Valko messing with her head didnt stop her on doing her job on Ziost . So there is no way she get all Vayl over Theron .

I found her mail delicious of course lol but wonder if she will let my Light side actually forgive Theron . So far she has never intereferred with us at killing certain companions . But the theron issue seem a bit more personal to her..

so only time will tell .

she might be it seems his betrayal has more depth than just stupid "u failed me so ill destroy you"

so in the end it probably will be up to us if she goes nuts or finds peace :p

It would be deeply out of character for her to "find peace" in any way that we'd use that phrase about ourselves. She isn't one of those frothing-at-the-mouth Sith crazies, but she is cold and calculating, and by no means a "good" person. She just keeps it all carefully under control.

After the end of the latest Flashpoint Lana sent a message saying that she will show less mercy from now on, in hopes of protecting the PC better. Will her infatuation with the PC, and Theron's betrayal send her over the deep end?

if Lana does have some form of Autism related disorder as it was pointed out a few weeks ago on another thread, then it stands to reason that she is cutting all loose ends in her life and strengthening her connection to the commander with a show of loyalty. it is very much a geniune show of loyalty but she doesn't want to be blind sided again in the process.

will she go off the deep end? no. It's more likely she will follow the commander into hell if it meant being there to defend the commander and if needed, to die for the commander. it's not so much fanatical but more along the lines of just being there to do the right thing and being happy to do it.

as for her actions towards Theron? i suspect if she isn't stopped and made to see reason which i'm almost certain she can still be reasoned with just long enough to discover the truth, however in the event you don't stop her she will beat theron within an inch of his life and possibly kill him, at least that is how she could see it. Unlike the light side sith warrior, Lana may have trouble trusting theron ever again assuming he is alive and well back in the alliance. once burned, always burned.

Edited by Celise

I'm concerned about the letter because of what it might mean in the next chapter but I actually don't think it's out of character or unhinged for her. And no, IMHO she is not autistic.

I think from her perspective, Theron's tried to kill her, tried to kill the Commander, and is trying to unravel everything she's worked for - including the safety of the galaxy they've just sacrificed everything to achieve. She's loyal to the Commander and the Alliance and this IS a big deal for her. So yeah, right now she's angry.

And while I do think it's possible the choice might be a) kill Theron or b) kill Lana to protect Theron, IMHO, or at least I hope, that it's more likely that she will wait for the Commander's decision. With every other betrayal even when she's mentioned wanting to kill someone, she's gone along with the Commander's decision even when she's questioned it.

However I do think this could be a deal breaker for her. If it turns out Theron was really betraying the Alliance OR does not have a good reason and you still take him back, i think she might be done.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I don't think so, I do fear for Theron's life however. While I can kind of get his betrayal if it is

to infiltrate the order of Zildrog and basically pull the same thing he did in Annihilation

, my character may forgive him if his explanation is good enough and if forgiving him seems like the pragmatic choice when the choice comes but Lana? I don't think she'll forgive Theron and would probably advice us to kill him on sigh, she's not a crazy stereotypical Sith like Darth Zhorrid or Thana Vesh but she's still cold and calculating enough to see Theron as a liability to the Alliance.

I'm concerned about the letter because of what it might mean in the next chapter but I actually don't think it's out of character or unhinged for her. And no, IMHO she is not autistic.

I think from her perspective, Theron's tried to kill her, tried to kill the Commander, and is trying to unravel everything she's worked for - including the safety of the galaxy they've just sacrificed everything to achieve. She's loyal to the Commander and the Alliance and this IS a big deal for her. So yeah, right now she's angry.

And while I do think it's possible the choice might be a) kill Theron or b) kill Lana to protect Theron, IMHO, or at least I hope, that it's more likely that she will wait for the Commander's decision. With every other betrayal even when she's mentioned wanting to kill someone, she's gone along with the Commander's decision even when she's questioned it.

However I do think this could be a deal breaker for her. If it turns out Theron was really betraying the Alliance OR does not have a good reason and you still take him back, i think she might be done.

Hmm that might be interesting for those that want Lana out of their alliance. I know a few people that want Lana gone.

Hmm that might be interesting for those that want Lana out of their alliance. I know a few people that want Lana gone.

People who detest one or the other should be happy if that ends up being the case, yes. You keep one or the other and that becomes the Alliance advisor/quest giver.

I really, REALLY hope BW is getting rid of lana/theron soon. I dont know why people still like these characters after what..3 expansions and 3 or 4 flashpoints before? I mean they were okay before and in SoR but really.. do we really have to play with only lana/theron the next 3 expansions too? And i can literally see how they put lana/theron in the next expansion too instead of giving us something NEW. What about NEW characters/companions/whatever. (And no, i dont want my old comps back -_- I want NEW STORY and NEW PERSONALITIES ffs Bioware) Edited by Jesseriah

whaaaaat? of course not . She is hurt because she trusted Theron , I think she feel the betrayer more then the player lol who half wanna smooche him and the other half wanna kill him because of his new haircut :D

Definitely the hairstyle is to blame. I might still have shown mercy, but that does not work. ;):D

I doubt that, mostly from a development perspective.

1) Sex sells, most players want a romance during their video game experience and it is a Bioware signature.

2) The "1 story fits all" way the game is heading since after RotHC means that every "kill NPC" option will cause trouble and angry players. Killable companions, especially if romancable, will most likely never again get any romance dialogues (hiring the voice actors for the different languages is too expensive for companions that might be dead already). Keeping both, Lana and Theron, is in Biowares best interest.

3) Lanas entire backstory is a story about an unconventional Sith. She never embraced the dark side in the same way a mainstream Sith does. She balances her emotions with rational thinking and already did so during her time on Korriban. Also she is a patriot, but not to the unquestioning level. In all her decisions she shows a stunning level of pragmatism, even if under pressure. IF Theron is a double agent, and it looks that way, she most likely acknowledges the necessity of his plan, just like she considered handing him over to the Revanites was necessary and call it even. Mutual distrust and the commander will have to balance them both out during heated debates.

IMO the game is leaving the Knights story line behind and resumes to the more traditional Republic vs Empire storyline. The Alliance will fall one way or another (maybe consumed eather by the Empire or the Republic during a weakened state) and the next expansion most likely handles a new, post alliance storyline. Lana returns to the Empire, Theron to the Republic, the former commander somewhere in between with Lana and Theron as crossover NPCs during missions.

I really, REALLY hope BW is getting rid of lana/theron soon. I dont know why people still like these characters after what..3 expansions and 3 or 4 flashpoints before? I mean they were okay before and in SoR but really.. do we really have to play with only lana/theron the next 3 expansions too? And i can literally see how they put lana/theron in the next expansion too instead of giving us something NEW. What about NEW characters/companions/whatever. (And no, i dont want my old comps back -_- I want NEW STORY and NEW PERSONALITIES ffs Bioware)

Because most players are romancing one or the other.

I doubt that, mostly from a development perspective.

1) Sex sells, most players want a romance during their video game experience and it is a Bioware signature.

2) The "1 story fits all" way the game is heading since after RotHC means that every "kill NPC" option will cause trouble and angry players. Killable companions, especially if romancable, will most likely never again get any romance dialogues (hiring the voice actors for the different languages is too expensive for companions that might be dead already). Keeping both, Lana and Theron, is in Biowares best interest.

3) Lanas entire backstory is a story about an unconventional Sith. She never embraced the dark side in the same way a mainstream Sith does. She balances her emotions with rational thinking and already did so during her time on Korriban. Also she is a patriot, but not to the unquestioning level. In all her decisions she shows a stunning level of pragmatism, even if under pressure. IF Theron is a double agent, and it looks that way, she most likely acknowledges the necessity of his plan, just like she considered handing him over to the Revanites was necessary and call it even. Mutual distrust and the commander will have to balance them both out during heated debates.

I agree with all of this...

IMO the game is leaving the Knights story line behind and resumes to the more traditional Republic vs Empire storyline. The Alliance will fall one way or another (maybe consumed eather by the Empire or the Republic during a weakened state) and the next expansion most likely handles a new, post alliance storyline. Lana returns to the Empire, Theron to the Republic, the former commander somewhere in between with Lana and Theron as crossover NPCs during missions.

My opinion differs here because while I think Lana *could* have the potential to return to her old faction, I don't see that as a possibility for Theron in any way if the Commander chose to align with the Empire. He's made his bed in throwing in with the Alliance. We know now that he is a double-agent and is still working for the Alliance. Where we go, he goes.

I just don't see there being any story with returning to the old factions. The Commander is the Commander...if he/she falls out of power, they're not going to go crawling back to their old faction...and many of us crossed factions anyways (I know all of mine, even my Jedi characters, sided with the Empire). And Zakuul as a place isn't just going to go *poof* into the ether. Regardless of the status of the Alliance, your character is still the reigning sovereign of Zakuul.

A factionless Outlander/Commander would be...a nobody and there would be no story without there being a faction *behind* our character.

I don't see BioWare removing either one of them, Lana or Theron, because they are the only romance companions who have not yet been turned into paperweights. Get rid of one or the other and you'll alienate half of the players. Even though I do believe there should be a "kill" option for those who would like to take it, I just don't see that happening for the above reason. At best, I believe we can expect an unsatisfactory hand-wave with us having to welcome Theron back after it all comes out that he never really betrayed us (even though dropping a train on our heads because "there's no way the Commander would die there" is a pretty silly way of showing it).

Not to mention I still have a niggling thought that Lana is in on this whole thing. She could very well have sent that letter as a way of throwing the Commander off...because the immediately previous conversation has the Commander openly postulating that Theron is a double-agent with her being like "well, um..."

Edited by Dracofish

I think the difference between this and the situation where Theron was thrown to the Revanites is that the latter only really endangered Theron. What's happening in the story now has almost killed the Commander several times, has endangered a lot of people in the Alliance and the faction ally and has launched a galactic war. I still can't see Lana going along with endangering the Commander that way. She does say she'll destroy the stars if it means the Commander will be safe, but still.

And if she is in on it, IMHO it could irreparably damage the romance with her and her position in the Alliance because she's essentially lied to the Commander's face, and who can trust her or Theron after that?

It's a good point that as of right now, Theron and Lana are the only romanceable characters left in the game with any part in the story, and hopefully Bioware realizes that and won't thrown them away (and that goes for Lana too - I feel like the F/F community is always overlooked and ignored when people refer to Lana as a F/M romance - IMHO that's really not her primary fan base, Ladies lose if either Theron or Lana go away).

I think it's another good point that there's really no way I can see to satisfactorily return to one's faction unless they end up becoming the Sith Empress/Emperor or the Republic Chancellor or something. They're a galactic leader now and it would be a real step down to go back to being a Dark Council member or something. Theron's disillusioned enough that he might defect to the Empire but I cannot see Lana ever wanting to go Republic, either.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

And if she is in on it, IMHO it could irreparably damage the romance with her and her position in the Alliance because she's essentially lied to the Commander's face, and who can trust her or Theron after that?

As crappy as that may be, that would be kind of the point though. Those who have romanced Theron have a really big, ugly pill to swallow...like one of those horse pills that just will not go down no matter how much water and bread you stuff down your throat...it just keeps coming back...just like how we have to sit on the fact that Theron undermined our authority and made us look like fools in front of the galaxy. He may have had our best interest in mind (because let's face it, Theron does really dumb shiz in the name of what he thinks is right, especially when there's love and fear of abandonment hanging over his head). But that won't be enough for a lot of people to be able to forgive him.

We kinda could call "fairsies" on Lana-mancers...but like I said, it does suck.

The way I see this is, that what happens to one, kinda has to happen to the other in some way, shape, or form to keep the fandom even.

BW had so much potential for awesome story if they'd just involved the Commander, like The Great Spy Caper...but nope. We have this...complete...total...mess.

Edited by Dracofish

As crappy as that may be, that would be kind of the point though. Those who have romanced Theron have a really big, ugly pill to swallow...like one of those horse pills that just will not go down no matter how much water and bread you stuff down your throat...it just keeps coming back...just like how we have to sit on the fact that Theron undermined our authority and made us look like fools in front of the galaxy. He may have had our best interest in mind (because let's face it, Theron does really dumb shiz in the name of what he thinks is right, especially when there's love and fear of abandonment hanging over his head). But that won't be enough for a lot of people to be able to forgive him.

We kinda could call "fairsies" on Lana-mancers...but like I said, it does suck.

The way I see this is, that what happens to one, kinda has to happen to the other in some way, shape, or form to keep the fandom even.

BW had so much potential for awesome story if they'd just involved the Commander, like The Great Spy Caper...but nope. We have this...complete...total...mess.

Yeah, there were so many things they could have done...but didn't. And they gave us this fiasco instead. :(

I do think that if there's an option to kill or exile one, there will also be a way to do the same for the other, in the name of balance. If they want to clear everyone out for a new expac, well, here's their chance.

But IMHO it's not going to be because Lana was in on this. As I said, I really don't see her being in on this. I think it's far more likely that there will be one critical point where the player will be forced into a situation where they choose one, like the Torian/Vette choice. OR, alternatively, the situation will turn out in such a way that neither is at risk.

I actually don't think that it will be fair if they get rid of Lana, even if Theron goes, though. F/F players have nobody else In. The. Game. If you've romanced Theron and he goes, yeah, it sucks, but if you play through another character you have other choices if you're F/M. If you're a gay man, you have another option in Koth (I know he's not popular, but technically it counts, and it's possible to play through *without* him betraying you), and the rumor has it that Arcann will also be a playersexual character.

But if they mess up Lana irreparably, and it means that the ONLY F/F option in the entirety of the game has a bad ending, it particularly bites.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

Yeah, there were so many things they could have done...but didn't. And they gave us this fiasco instead. :(

I do think that if there's an option to kill or exile one, there will also be a way to do the same for the other, in the name of balance. If they want to clear everyone out for a new expac, well, here's their chance.

But IMHO it's not going to be because Lana was in on this. As I said, I really don't see her being in on this. I think it's far more likely that there will be one critical point where the player will be forced into a situation where they choose one, like the Torian/Vette choice. OR, alternatively, the situation will turn out in such a way that neither is at risk.

I actually don't think that it will be fair if they get rid of Lana, even if Theron goes, though. F/F players have nobody else In. The. Game. If you've romanced Theron and he goes, yeah, it sucks, but if you play through another character you have other choices if you're F/M. If you're a gay man, you have another option in Koth (I know he's not popular, but technically it counts, and it's possible to play through *without* him betraying you), and the rumor has it that Arcann will also be a playersexual character.

But if they mess up Lana irreparably, and it means that the ONLY F/F option in the entirety of the game has a bad ending, it particularly bites.

It would be cool if they added a second F/F romance option, a new and interesting character. We could sure use some fresh blood.

It would be cool if they added a second F/F romance option, a new and interesting character. We could sure use some fresh blood.

I agree. They should have done that long ago, IMHO. We all know who I favor, but having just one option and assuming *everyone* who wants to play a F/F romance for the entire duration of SWTOR is going to want to romance the same exact character is pretty ridiculous.

So another F/F option or two would be really nice, and they could be daring and make one of them only available as an F/F romance. I actually wish they'd had the guts to make Lana unavailable to male players.

I get the concern for f/f players, but if Theron goes that leaves NOBODY for f/m or m/m players who isn't a paperweight, and that's not right either. Koth and Arcann are both paperweights. Yes, Arcann is getting a romance, but his romance will not be part of the main story, because he can be dead. And yes, you can play through making meta-choices to keep Koth (which honestly, he almost always goes in my playthroughs), but he is also a paperweight...because he can be gone too. And I've heard whispers about Scourge coming back as a possible romance, which will likely be for Knights only...and even then it will still be in paperweight fashion because he won't be part of the main story.

If BW gets rid of Theron, they will be alienating *half* of the player base. Sure, ok f/m have old romances, and m/m have new romances...but those companions are not involved in the story in any way (and most of the old romances are still gone). The only two companions we have, out of everybody, who cannot be dead are Theron and Lana.

There should be equal actual story-based romanced representation for *everybody* and right now those two choices are Theron and Lana. Get rid of either, and that representation is cut in half, and that's not right, or fair, for anybody. Should they introduce more f/f options? Absolutely. But they also shouldn't punish f/m or m/m players by getting rid of the only story-based romance they have.

Which is why I don't see BW getting rid of either. I don't see choices...I see half-assed hand-waved story where Theron comes back as the "hero" because he "took down the big bad Order of creepy mask people" and Lana will either have been in on it the whole time, or realize that Theron had "reasons" and get past it.

Some folks postulate that they'll both be gone and we'll get new companions...but I don't see that happening either because of the romances. If Theron and Lana were meant to be *poofed* all along, they never would have opened them up as romances...quite frankly the main romances in the game.

Edited by Dracofish

I actually don't think that it will be fair if they get rid of Lana, even if Theron goes, though. F/F players have nobody else In. The. Game.

I'm not F myself ("Steve" is not Stephanie, OK?) so I would correct one word in this. It isn't F/F *players*. It's F/F *characters*.

Among my merry crew:

* Intornos the insta60 M!Sorc was the victim of my stupidity in the Chapter IX cantina, but he's long since been toasted.

* Kylath the Commandogirl has a long and somewhat unexpected history(1), but ended up with Lana.

* Parnos the Marauder abandoned DSJ in favour of Lana.

* various other girls abandoned lovers (or didn't have them) in favour of Lana.

* Be-bop'alula, Shadow Tank Girl, went for Shoulder Boy, more fool her.

* Krallak, Rattataki Agent, re-hooked with Kaliyo. That was ... surreal.

For most of them, I'm a bit meh, but because of what's in the spoiler box in the footnote, Kylath's romance is *important*. It will not make me a happy player to find it disappears for stupid reasons.

(1) Read the spoiler box, although I'll point out in passing that it isn't a *happy* spoiler box.

My trooper got two, one from Aric and one from Theron. Here, however, is where my experience of KotFE and the persona of my characters differs from yours.

I had been thinking of her as hooking up with Theron again when he showed up. (Footnote: I did chapters I to IX on an insta-60 first, so I knew more or less what was coming.) Then she got to the scene by the pool with Lana, and you know what? I couldn't do it. I couldn't turn down the thing the game was offering her. The events she had just lived through, with her whole world being turned on its head, combined with the amazingly well done visuals of that scene, hooked up with some s**t going on in my life and the life of an old friend(see below), and I clicked [Flirt], then and any time a Lana conversation offered it afterwards. And I did it right in the notorious one as well...

Why? Because my character's persona isn't in the game. It's in my head. She is, partially, a reflection of me (which is odd, because I'm not a woman, nor am I a cyborg, nor a soldier, nor a citizen of the Republic). If you think about it, it can't be any other way - the game offers choices at each dialogue wheel, and those choices do not all reflect the same sort of personality. Somehow, you decide which you want, and the combination of all those decisions *becomes* the persona of your character.

Anyway, for the terminally curious, here, in broad strokes and a spoiler box, is what lurked in my head that hooked up with this previously-straight soldiering woman who fell for Lana.

The thing in my life is simple, and really serves mostly as a reason why I wound up having a conversation with the old friend. Back in July, my wife finally succumbed to a kidney cancer. After she went, an old friend I had met when I worked in London suggested I should have a day out, and come down to see her for lunch in Paris (for entirely separate reasons, we both now live in France). There was no romantic "exchange" between us, just lunch and a conversation, but that conversation revealed things, like why she had moved to Paris in the first place.

See, she had said, more or less in so many words, that she moved to Paris because her father had come down with some more treatable form of cancer. On the face of it, that's a pretty weird thing to say, because her father *doesn't* live in Paris. I asked what she meant, and she explained.

Like my trooper, her life was turned upside down by the news. She broke off a long-duration straight relationship, and followed a somewhat tortured path involving artists' colonies and similar, and hooked up with a woman in the aftermath. (She sounded like this had actually surprised her.) And two months later, as Kylath Argentis, formerly C/O Havoc Squad, looked at Lana Beniko by a pool in the Endless Swamp on Zakuul, this conversation crawled out of my memory and clicked on a [Flirt] option for me. By doing that, it became part of her persona.

*This* is how we construct the persona of our character, by synthesising elements from around us, combining them with our preconceived ideas of who and what the character is. That is, it is real role-playing, creating a detailed role, a whole person, for our in-game avatar.

I get the concern for f/f players, but if Theron goes that leaves NOBODY for f/m or m/m players who isn't a paperweight, and that's not right either. Koth and Arcann are both paperweights. Yes, Arcann is getting a romance, but his romance will not be part of the main story, because he can be dead. And yes, you can play through making meta-choices to keep Koth (which honestly, he almost always goes in my playthroughs), but he is also a paperweight...because he can be gone too. And I've heard whispers about Scourge coming back as a possible romance, which will likely be for Knights only...and even then it will still be in paperweight fashion because he won't be part of the main story.

If BW gets rid of Theron, they will be alienating *half* of the player base. Sure, ok f/m have old romances, and m/m have new romances...but those companions are not involved in the story in any way (and most of the old romances are still gone). The only two companions we have, out of everybody, who cannot be dead are Theron and Lana.

There should be equal actual story-based romanced representation for *everybody* and right now those two choices are Theron and Lana. Get rid of either, and that representation is cut in half, and that's not right, or fair, for anybody. Should they introduce more f/f options? Absolutely. But they also shouldn't punish f/m or m/m players by getting rid of the only story-based romance they have.

Which is why I don't see BW getting rid of either. I don't see choices...I see half-assed hand-waved story where Theron comes back as the "hero" because he "took down the big bad Order of creepy mask people" and Lana will either have been in on it the whole time, or realize that Theron had "reasons" and get past it.

Some folks postulate that they'll both be gone and we'll get new companions...but I don't see that happening either because of the romances. If Theron and Lana were meant to be *poofed* all along, they never would have opened them up as romances...quite frankly the main romances in the game.

The balance has been unequal for F/F vs. F/M and even M/M for the entire game. And when people (not you, but in general) go on about how losing Theron = screwing over all the women players, or how Lana should be killed off, it does make one feel like F/F players are somehow invisible or don't count in the female player population for some reason. Losing EITHER Theron or Lana would be bad for female players/characters.

But you're right that there should be story-based romance options for all orientations, and that losing either Theron or Lana will take that away. I do hope you're right that the writers figure out a way to plausibly keep them both in the story and don't go all Game of Thrones edgy on us. You're probably right that it will be something totally inconsistent and stupid, though, and that the Commander who is supposed to be the most powerful person in the galaxy - and their advisors - will probably end up smiling, nodding and waving it away.

I'm not F myself ("Steve" is not Stephanie, OK?) so I would correct one word in this. It isn't F/F *players*. It's F/F *characters*.

*shrug* I won't correct it, actually. Plenty of players do play many characters that don't reflect their own gender/orientation, and try out different romances in the game, but for many others, it does reflect. When LGBT characters first showed up, it was the first time many people saw their own orientations reflected in the game - or in Star Wars at all. Those are the players I'm concerned with.

And hey, sorry to all if this hijacked the thread from the initial discussion. Back to that now, I'll step back.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero