Axes? Really?

kmontyw

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the only issue I see with the axes. Do the vibroblades deflect ranged attacks as well currently?

Enemies shooting at my Jedi on Tython before they obtained their first real lightsaber were deflecting blaster bolts with their vibroblades.

It is lore friendly. Get over it.

There is lore, and there is lore. The universe established by the first three movies (and let's face it, they're the only ones that can be taken seriously) would not have Jedis with anything but lightsabres.

But meh, if you don't see it and it has to be reiterated, there's hardly any point being anything but whimsical.

So the only thing I'd really like to know is when we'll be getting a sparkling pony mount.

Well, there are special rifles, snipers, and pistols that you get from the random packs that have special effects that change color depending on your color crystal, so I think thats as close as youll get :p Not sure about cannons though

Saw those today :) they look pretty cool. Personally I would have used those to advertise in the video rather than the axes, unless their intention was to provoke more discussion...

Jedi can imbue "normal" weapons with Force and also deflect blaster shots, there are materials that can withstand lightsaber blades and Jedi have superhuman endurance, speed, senses and strenght.

So there is only the Lucas didn't write that Ben used force imbued quaterstaff to whack too friendly Sand People and so there should be only lightsabers line. Well this game ain't episodes 4-6.

There is lore, and there is lore. The universe established by the first three movies (and let's face it, they're the only ones that can be taken seriously) would not have Jedis with anything but lightsabres.

But meh, if you don't see it and it has to be reiterated, there's hardly any point being anything but whimsical.

So the only thing I'd really like to know is when we'll be getting a sparkling pony mount.

Did you really just say that the only real canon in SW is the first 3 movies made? You just discounted half the movies, every book, every game (some of which actually were non-canonical, i.e. the force unleashed sith packs), and the tv series. Thats a lot of lore you just tossed away :eek:

I thknk that you should be able to use cartel coins to buy cross weapons training, Smuggler with a doublebladed light saber. :cool:

That would be fine, so long as it cost an incredible amount, was difficult to get, and when the game rolled a fumble, you removed a limb (not having the ability to see the future and react to it before it happens, as Jedis/Sith do).

... I can't believe I'm arguing the finer points of Star Wars lore. I've turned into those geeks from the 80's.

Did you really just say that the only real canon in SW is the first 3 movies made? You just discounted half the movies, every book, every game (some of which actually were non-canonical, i.e. the force unleashed sith packs), and the tv series. Thats a lot of lore you just tossed away :eek:

I actually typed "canon" and deleted it before posting. I'm impressed you have used it though ;)

I read a lot of books and comics inbetween the first three movies. The lore within them generally made sense, and the authors were exceptionally careful about maintaining the tone of the universe. Beyond that, Lucas got all money hungry (that, or he didn't have a good grasp on what he had created in the first place - witness midachlorians) and begin green lighting all sorts of extravagant and tone breaking stuff. Hence now you have a literal mish mash of broken lore.

So in a way, yes, I appeal to the first three movies on their own as the standard for lore. And yes again, much of what has been produced since is tripe, and diminishes the tone of the universe. There is a lot that is good too (often fan created).

TL;DR appealing to some fanciful, awkward "sciencified" notion of magic metal that somehow resists lightsabres is bad enough. Suggesting Jedi/Sith would choose them over a clearly more powerful and useful lighsabre.... well. The effect on the tone of the Star Wars universe, and the core of the Jedi mythology and idea is fatal. Things immediately get smaller, and less compelling.

KOTOR were good games, as they were. The lore they used (vibra swords yadda yadda) was feaking awful and sacrificed authenticity for gameplay. This is the biggest problem with all SW games past Dark Forces, Jedi Knight, XWing etc. Bioware have always created awkward half-good half-bad games. But in no way should they be used as the basis for wider lore!

Anyway, it's all moot. Bioware are going to do what makes money now, not what makes better games. In this they are in the same boat as Blizzard (Jedi axes belongs in the same bucket as a Monk summoning a temple to "explode" upon its enemies). What bemuses me is how so many players no longer feel the conflict between what is happening and the original Star Wars. It shows that the circle is indeed complete :/

Axes are fine. Jedis trading lightsabres for metal axes is the issue. The fact that quite a few don't immediately understand that, and why, emphasizes the point. Rather painfully, btw.

In the Lore, Jedi weaponmasters successfully use weirder and even more impractical weapons. Not even talking about some of the quirkier Sith.

Pretty sure exceptional individuals (which PCs are supposed to be), lift themselves above the differences in weapons, and rather rely on their mastery and focus.

Here's the thing though: how many people would have been on the edge about continuing to play SWTOR, and then saw these axes and it's changed their mind? And then how many have been on the edge, have seen these axes, and it's been the last straw?

I'm betting there are more than a few of the latter, and none of the former. Which makes me (and others) wonder at the thinking that came up with this and other ideas. It's not going to get better.

Here's the thing though: how many people would have been on the edge about continuing to play SWTOR, and then saw these axes and it's changed their mind? And then how many have been on the edge, have seen these axes, and it's been the last straw?

I'm betting there are more than a few of the latter, and none of the former. Which makes me (and others) wonder at the thinking that came up with this and other ideas. It's not going to get better.

Wau. Your text is very nice mindtrap for about anyone non native english speaker. If I understood it right you just continue to say you hate axes and how they look. Then lots of speculation.

"using a hatchet where you need a scalpel."

-President Obama

Is the quote I thought of when i saw the trailer and the enthusiasm of the displayed by the "actor" in the video.

Can be used as a metaphor to the state of the game.

I say actor...cause real game developers or anyone with any SW sense would know how fail the inclusion of axes is.

Its not to the NGE level fail...but its really trending toward that.

Wau. Your text is very nice mindtrap for about anyone non native english speaker. If I understood it right you just continue to say you hate axes and how they look. Then lots of speculation.

Not exactly, and sorry for the tight reasoning. It was a *Jedi* mindtrap.

You guys realize that swords are already in the game, right? In the Star Wars universe, all melee weapons are "vibro" weapons, Gamorrean Axes included. There are also "vibro" hammers, daggers, knuckles, staves, whips and more. Read up. Even Revan and the Jedi Exile potentially wielded an axe or axes. Edited by CelCawdro

You guys realize that swords are already in the game, right? In the Star Wars universe, all melee weapons are "vibro" weapons, Gamorrean Axes included. There are also "vibro" hammers, daggers, knuckles, staves, whips and more. Read up. Even Revan and the Jedi Exile potentially wielded an axe or axes.

Exactly but people like kmonty up there seem to have a huge problem with this. Oh well. It is nothing to get all excited over. Those axes look like fun.

You guys realize that swords are already in the game, right? In the Star Wars universe, all melee weapons are "vibro" weapons, Gamorrean Axes included. There are also "vibro" hammers, daggers, knuckles, staves, whips and more. Read up. Even Revan and the Jedi Exile potentially wielded an axe or axes.

...you're completely missing the point. Maybe reread the thread? *shrug*

so what was all that weapon breaking I was watching in episode 6?

• 2 weeks later...
"using a hatchet where you need a scalpel."

-President Obama

Is the quote I thought of when i saw the trailer and the enthusiasm of the displayed by the "actor" in the video.

Can be used as a metaphor to the state of the game.

I say actor...cause real game developers or anyone with any SW sense would know how fail the inclusion of axes is.

Its not to the NGE level fail...but its really trending toward that.

I know id rather bring a hatchet than a scalpel to a fight...

But it doesnt matter since you already have vibroswords, techblades, practice swords and whatnot... why complain over the inclusion of an axe? an axe that has already been part of the canon since the 3rd movie btw (thats ep 6 for you kiddies out there).

So, Jedi/Sith will be running around with axes instead of lightsabres come the F2P release. Axes. Do they come with Dwarven beards as well? Can they be upgraded to kitchen knives perhaps?

You say Jedi, I immediately think "ax". It's a natural part of the fantasy, and lore. This is going to be so great.

Well, they are already running around with vibroswords and practiceswords so what does it matter if they run around with an axe?