The problem with a lot of classes in PVP

Delani

I don’t like the idea of being able to swap tact’s and Amps. But sometimes you forget to swap out your pve gear for pvp gear before you enter a match. I use one set for pvp and one for pve because of how Bolster works. Although this may or may not be a problem in 6.0. We’ll need to wait and see.

btw any suggestions on making dps PT more fun when they arent grouped with a tank and healer? What can Bioware do to make the class viable without completly breaking the class. I was thinking of a move called jet out, where they leave the battlefield with their jetpack for 5 seconds and regain 15% of their health when they come back, this ability has a 1 minute dcd. Its ludacris but its something that we havent seen before.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to help run a pvp server in the old NWN1 days. One of the problems we had with our "warzones" was that people would counter-log toons to specifically hunt down other builds/players (it was a server-wide warzone where 20 vs 20 was common). I love the idea of complex SWTOR toon builds, but I am skeptical of being able to change stats/ set bonus/ tac/ amps/ utilities midmatch.

Not trying to be a negative Nancy -- I very much look forward to testing the new gearing system.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

A lot of classes in PvP are too vulnerable once they are hardstunned. They are forced to take a lot of damage and unless they have breaker they cannot escape. Since Bioware has removed stun DR on a lot of classes, we (as a community) need a new alternative to adjust to this stun lock meta. One suggestion to fixing this is allowing players to avoid hardstuns by adding in extra movement abilities or giving every class a similar dcd that Operatives/Snipers have which allows them to avoid hardstuns if they time their abilitiy right ( their roll abilitiy). This would fix the issue but would make the game too monotonous. Another suggestion is giving all players the abiltiy to choose whether or not they want to take a stun DR set bonus (2-piece) or amplifier in replacement of something else. Again would help with the problem but is boring and does not make the combat/gameplay more exciting. Another suggestion is giving weaker classes in PvP; such as DPS Powertech/Vanguard, Assassins/Shadows, Sorcerers/Sages more movement and creative evade abilities that allow them to avoid hardstuns and escape/prevent pin-downs. One thing that I was thinking about is the abilitiy to clone your toon or something that allows sorcerers to place LOS objects while in a warzone (probably reaching but it is creative).

We need creative and alternative ideas in order to combat the stun meta which can ruin a PvP experience for a lot of players.

You can play a mercenary/commando and take shock absorbers talent. Then being stunned actually helps you as you take 30% less damage from all sources.

btw any suggestions on making dps PT more fun when they arent grouped with a tank and healer? What can Bioware do to make the class viable without completly breaking the class. I was thinking of a move called jet out, where they leave the battlefield with their jetpack for 5 seconds and regain 15% of their health when they come back, this ability has a 1 minute dcd. Its ludacris but its something that we havent seen before.

I think that can be fixed quite easily by removing the adrenal surge utility from mercenary/commando and giving it to powertech/vanguard. The mercenary can keep its trauma stabilizer utility (attached to reactive shield). Would also advocate removing responsive safeguards entirely.

I think that can be fixed quite easily by removing the adrenal surge utility from mercenary/commando and giving it to powertech/vanguard. The mercenary can keep its trauma stabilizer utility (attached to reactive shield). Would also advocate removing responsive safeguards entirely.

Thats probably the best idea tbh,

I can’t make any suggestions as PTs are the one class I’ve hated playing since launch. The only time I play them is if I don’t understand an effect I see when I’m fighting against them. The one thing I’m sure of is they need a very small tweak to anti focus or DCD. Anything more and they will be OP because of they have great DPS potential.

It’s the same with Sorcs, but in the reverse. They have great defence, but weak dps compared to other classes. I would like to see a small nerf to defence and a small buff to dps, especially single target dps and not AOE (which is already good). I would even take a small nerf to AOE damage for lightning Sorcs to get a buff to single target burst damage.

the talents in merc/mando tree are really interesting for such a mundane spec (gunnery).

my current fave is foregoing both shock absorbers and (gulp) adrenaline rush/kolto; then stacking 3 reactive shield talents in heroic tier. I mean...I wouldn't recommend doing that without trinity in 4's, but it's worlds of fun in regs.

If there’s a problem in this area of PvP, it’s that classes aren’t vulnerable enough the other 90% of the time. We don’t need more survivability in PvP we need less. Tighter dps windows with more emphasis on external heals and external DR.

:cool:

If there’s a problem in this area of PvP, it’s that classes aren’t vulnerable enough the other 90% of the time. We don’t need more survivability in PvP we need less. Tighter dps windows with more emphasis on external heals and external DR.

nah. the problem is a lack of coordination. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I haven't used my focus modifiers since ranked 8's. ditto for voice comms. ppl break CC left and right. they dps different targets, don't switch properly, etc. add variations in player skill and class balance, and you end up with impossible to kill players on the one hand with players getting globaled by a pair or maras or mara/sniper on the other hand.

Why add more stun DR? why not add something different or something new.

nah. the problem is a lack of coordination. I'm as guilty of it as anyone. I haven't used my focus modifiers since ranked 8's. ditto for voice comms. ppl break CC left and right. they dps different targets, don't switch properly, etc. add variations in player skill and class balance, and you end up with impossible to kill players on the one hand with players getting globaled by a pair or maras or mara/sniper on the other hand.

Agreed. Even if the focus has a target, it’s still ignored and people grind on a tank to buff their dps numbers while two healers keep him alive.

It’s totally ridiculous how bad pvp has become and how it’s become like chimpanzees hitting each other with sticks.

• 2 weeks later...