Star Wars Movie Questions

JRangers

Now I don't know an awful lot about the Star Wars lore but I just have a few questions about the Star Wars movies that sprung to mind#

1.] Where did all of the troopers go? Why did they have to get the clones and how did people in TOR not find Kamino?

2.] In SWTOR, it seems like the jedi have a lot more powerful powers than in the movies. I don't know if it's because the movie developers cba to do the effects or the jedi power had weakened.

3.] What happened to the proper Empire? I don't understand why they had to convert their army into a bunch of droids. They're also Seperatists which I don't really get.

4.] The awesome trooper guy in the Hope trailer takes sith lightning with a grunt and darth vader and luke skywalker scream out in pain? It's related to 4,5 and 6 but I'm still confused at it.

5.] Again, I don't know if this was to do with movie editing but I saw no battle droids in 4,5 and 6. Why didn't the Republic in 1,2 and 3 not use battle droids themselves?

6.] How the heck did the rebels lose the first scene in A New Hope? They outnumbered the stormies by a mle and had them squashed in a small space. Same with loosing the whole ship.

Now I don't know an awful lot about the Star Wars lore but I just have a few questions about the Star Wars movies that sprung to mind#

1.] Where did all of the troopers go? Why did they have to get the clones and how did people in TOR not find Kamino?

2.] In SWTOR, it seems like the jedi have a lot more powerful powers than in the movies. I don't know if it's because the movie developers cba to do the effects or the jedi power had weakened.

3.] What happened to the proper Empire? I don't understand why they had to convert their army into a bunch of droids. They're also Seperatists which I don't really get.

4.] The awesome trooper guy in the Hope trailer takes sith lightning with a grunt and darth vader and luke skywalker scream out in pain? It's related to 4,5 and 6 but I'm still confused at it.

5.] Again, I don't know if this was to do with movie editing but I saw no battle droids in 4,5 and 6. Why didn't the Republic in 1,2 and 3 not use battle droids themselves?

6.] How the heck did the rebels lose the first scene in A New Hope? They outnumbered the stormies by a mle and had them squashed in a small space. Same with loosing the whole ship.

I'll try and answer your questions and accurately as possible.

1. The troopers that you see in the TOR time period don't appear in the movies, because the Republic of the movies didn't have a standing army. That's why they needed the clones. We don't know much about Kamino outside of what is in The Clone Wars era.

2. The Jedi of SWTOR had more combat experience than the Jedi of the clone wars. As for force powers? It must have been a movie thing. Lightsaber combat is easier to do than animated force powers.

3. I don't understand this question, can you rephrase?

4. Darth Sidious canonically has the most powerful force lightning, everyone's ability level is different. Its also possible that the troopers armor blocked some of the effect.

5. The CIS was dismantled following Palaptines take over of the Republic, thus no battle droids. The Republic needed an army quickly to combat the Separatist threat. They received the clones for that purpose, they didn't need the droids.

6. The rebels were not well trained and ill equipped to fight properly trained soldiers. The tantive IV only had a small token force of rebels on board, they would have never won the fight.

1) From what i know, Republic in films is not the same. At some point (long before episode 1) it was reformed, including "no army" idea. So in episode 2 Republic is ****ed. Of cource they use clones - they had no time to build army of their own. On the other hand, clones aren't cheep in production, so no reason to use them when you have professional army already.

2) Once again, it's not the same jedi order. In films there is a lot of bull**** about "force should be used only in selfdefence". Tell that to the jedi of Great Hyperspace War and make him laughth. Film jedis haven't fought sith for centuries - of cource they are less powerful. Who needs battle techniques during peace?

3) By the time of episode 1 The Old Empire is dead for a long time. Palpatine's Empire was just a result of Republic reformation. And Separatists have nothing to do with both Empires - they were simply used by Palpatine and discarded after his win. As for droid army - they are cheap, and bunch of separatist worlds were mass producing them. So why not?

4) Maybe it was wrong kind of lightning. But for some reason i believe Palpatine is just much more powerful then Malgus.

5) Becouse they don't have any army. And by the time they needed it, there already were clones. And after reformation battle droids become very unpopular, becouse they were used by Separatists. So almost nobody uses them.

6) They weren't troopers - just some random dudes forced to take weapons and defend the ship. And they weren't outnumbering stormtroopers. Not even close. Entire star destroyer fuul of them, remember?

Key answer underling a lot of your questions is this: Star Wars: The Old Republic takes place about 3,600 years before the movies. The Republic has been around for 25,000 years, so it is still intact in both the game and Episodes 1-3, but a lot changed in those thousands of years and the Sith Empire from the game is long, long gone by the time of the movies.

1,000 years before the movies (so around 2,600 years after TOR) the Republic disbanded all of its standing army, leaving only relatively small security forces and planetary/system militias. Because there was no standing army anymore they needed the Clones to reestablish a trained, armed Grand Army of the Republic very quickly. Kamino doesn't play into TOR because even if they were doing anything with cloning at all back during this era, they were definitely not mass-producing them on the scale we see in Episode 2.

Jedi tend to have more over-the-top powers in video-games just to make the games more fun and visually interesting, so it's 90% that reason why there's a big difference between what we see in the movies and in TOR. There is some indication that by the time of the movies the Jedi are weakened because the Sith have been working behind the scenes for so long that the Dark Side is growing stronger throughout the galaxy, but the extent of that power-loss is never really clear. Again the real reasons is just that what works in the context of a videogame isn't always the same as what works in the context of a movie.

3.]What happened to the proper Empire? I don't understand why they had to convert their army into a bunch of droids. They're also Seperatists which I don't really get.
Again, 3,600 years have passed, we don't yet know exactly what happens to disband the Sith Empire from TOR, but it is long gone by the time of the movies. The Separatists are a completely different political entity (most of whom don't even know they are being led by a Sith Lord), who had been part of the Republic, but felt it was corrupt so they broke away and started the Civil War we see in Episodes 2 and 3. The Separatists rely on droid armies because the core of their movement is made up of groups like the Trade Federation, who had large groups of battle droids as security forces before the Clone Wars started, and so they just scaled up their production (both in number of droids and in how powerful the droids were) to build up into a full-blown army.

Jace Malcolm (the grunt in the Hope trailer) is just that much of a bad***** lol. Again, I think it's just video-game logic coming in. You can't have smugglers and troopers, etc. as viable classes in the game if they can't go toe-to-toe with the Jedi/Sith classes, so they wanted to show that these guys are so hardcore they can do just that. I'm sure there are a hundred justifications floating around out there for how he was physically able to do that, but that's the real underlying reason.

5] Again, I don't know if this was to do with movie editing but I saw no battle droids in 4,5 and 6. Why didn't the Republic in 1,2 and 3 not use battle droids themselves?
Mainly because they had just won a war against the Separatists, who had controlled most of the Droid-producing infrastructure in the Galaxy (plus there's something to be said for not having your new government's military look exactly like the military of the enemy you just defeated). One thing the Clone Wars showed was that human troops are overall better than droids. The new Galactic Empire also probably benefits by having huge numbers of humans (by the time of Episode 4-6 the Stormtroopers include non-clones) indoctrinated into their Stormtrooper corps.

The Empire did use battle-droids from time to time (the Dark Trooper project is a cool example from some older videogames and comics) but not on a large scale, and so we don't see them in the movies.

Despite the fact that they got their asses handed to them by a bunch of teddy bears in Episode 6, the Stormtroopers are, theoretically, supposed to be an elite military force, while the rebels, particularly the small security force onboard Leia's ship, aren't. The Stormtroopers also probably did outnumber the rebels overall in that fight, the whole point of the scene is showing how Leia's ship is just swallowed up by this utterly massive Star Destroyer.

Edited by DarthDymond

The Republic of the movies demilitarized after the New Sith Wars and the Final Battle of Ruusan. That's why the Galactic Republic didn't have much of a military until the Clones showed up.

As for why the TOR Republic didn't find Kamino. Probably because the TOR Republic didn't need Kamino, or they hadn't made themselves a prominent faction.

Mostly because of the limitations on special effects of the movies. Many people assume that the Jedi simply got weaker over time, but that's plainly false. But that's a different discussion entirely. Simply pick up some Movie era books and comics, the Jedi and Sith showcase more power there.

As in the Sith Empire? Remember that this game takes place over 3,000 years before the movie.

The Sith Empire had its last gasp during the New Sith Wars under the Brotherhood of Darkness, headed by Lord Kaan. In this time, Darth Bane came on the scene and wiped the Brotherhood out to establish his Rule of Two, two Sith hiding in the shadows and working to infiltrate and destroy the Republic and the Jedi.

He's that awesome.

In Revenge of the Sith Palpatine commissions the deactivation of all battle droids under the control of the Separatist forces. That's why there are no battle droids in the Original Trilogy.

As for why the Republic doesn't use them, that takes more explaining. There are a lot of reasons for it, and several consequences if they did use it. From a Sith perspective, the Clone Army was created to turn the Jedi into enemies of Peace and Justice, an attempt to demonize them in the face of the public.

The Stormtroopers are an elite military unit. Those under the command of Darth Vader were among the very best of those soldiers.

Edited by Aurbere

You're jumping around quite a bit.

1) The current timeline of the game is 3500 years before Episode 4. Here the Republic has a standing Army made up of people from across the galaxy. Between the events of this game and Episode 1, 3500 years have passed.

Somewhere in that timeframe, the Republic was demilitarized and had no standing Army to defend itself from the Droid Armies of the Confederacy of Independant Systems (CIS). The Clones were prepared beforehand to serve as a secret until such time where the CIS rebelled during Episode 2.

Short Answer: Time passed and the Republic had no army between the end of this war and the start of the Clone Wars.

2) During the same event that saw the demilitarization of the Republic saw the Jedi Order also reorganize and lots of secrets and abilities were lost. Also the Jedi were relegated to mere Peacekeepers. They hadn't seen serious war in over a thousand years by Episode 1.

Here in the Old Republic, there's a War practically every 3 centuries or so lasting about a century. The Jedi have had much more practice in flexing their muscles so to speak.

Short Answer: Time passed and the Jedi fell out of practice.

3) Easy question. The Empire in this game is completely and utterly crushed. It doesn't exist during the Clone Wars. That would be the CIS. The Republic is reformed into the Empire of Episode Four per the ending of Episode Three.

4) This tailors back to your second question. The Soldiers of the Old Republic are used to fighting Force Users and so their armor is designed with the possibility in mind. Malcom's armor is designed to protect him from environmental hazards like electricity so he won't feel it as much.

Darth Vader, while he is wearing armor, is also three quarters cyborg and requires a very sophisticated life support system to keep him alive. All that much conductive and sensitive metal glued to his nerves which is highly conductive? Yeah that's going to hurt.

Luke for his part was pretty much just wearing a tux compared to Vader and Malcom. Absolute zero protection.

Short Answer: Malcom's Armor was designed to protect him from Lighting. Vader and Luke's outfits weren't.

5) Another easy one. Why would the Republic now turned Empire have use for defunct and clearly inferior battle droids when they, the victors, already have a giant war machine of bloodied, obedient, and clearly superior flesh and blood soldiers?

Short Answer: They wouldn't. The Clones proved superior.

6) Understand that the Rebels are using inferior equipment and most of them don't have the same level of training a Stormtrooper gets. The Rebels for the most part of Episode Four are average Joes who maybe went down to the local shooting range for lunch. Their equipment is cheap crap prone to malfuction and they don't have much in the way of armor for protection.

Compare this to the Imperial Stormtroooper. These soldiers are highly trained to the peak of efficiency with one goal in mind, crushing the enemy. Their armor and weapons are top of the line, meticulously cared for, and they are ruthless.

Short answer: Superior numbers mean nothing when facing Superior Equipment and Training. For every Stormtrooper killed, they'd easily take upwards of nearly ten Rebels with them.

As most of these questions have been answered from a lore perspective, I will throw in some real world perspective on some:

2&5 it was 1976 when A New Hope was originally released and the total budget was $6 million. Furthermore, all the special effects for that movie were invented and/or refined because of that movie.

• In the OT, every laser blast and the lightsabers' glow and even Palpatine's lightning were all hand-painted into each frame. So imagine trying to do more "force powers" back in those days. There was no such thing as CGI back then. At best they had stop motion animation.
  • And there were no droid armies in E4 because they could not afford to have them. And it would have looked silly to have stormtroopers in E4 and battle droids in E5 and E6. But again no CGI, every battle droid would have had to be filmed with stop motion (a VERY time consuming process).

6. It's called, "it's part of the story." If the Rebels had repelled the boarding party then the rest of the movie would have fallen apart.

From a lore perspective on #6: interestingly friends and I discussed this very thing yesterday. Look at the scene again. When the hatch is blown up there is a lot of smoke. The stormtrooper helmet has the ability to see through that obstacle. Furthermore the trooper helmet has multiple targeting (each trooper can target several enemies at once) and shared targeting (the troopers helmets transmit data between each other for a more thorough field of view) features. In other words the troopers could see all the rebels while the rebels could see nothing.

I'd like to offer an alternative explanation for number two, and I have two parts for this. Part 1: As someone mentioned about Sidious' lightning, each individual's ability varies greatly. In the time period of this game (SWTOR) we have far more Jedi than in the movies. That means more individuals with varied training, expertise, talent. So, alot of these grand powers stems from things like savants, and natural ability. In the time frame of the movies, we have less Jedi, which means less variation in specialization, coupled with the fact the movie generation Jedi, aren't training to fight dark side user's of the force.

Part 2: Something that we might need to remind ourselves is that in the over arcing canon of the game is that each player character does not represent a different person. Canon wise, every Jedi Knight PC that you see in the game represents the same Jedi. Each consular pc running around, again, is a representative of the same canon character. So, it might be easy to look around fleet and go "look at all these powerful Jedi" the reality of the story is, all those players are really only just two powerful individuals.

You're referring to the troopers and Army of the Republic that we see now in the game. At the time of The Phantom Menace, the Sith had been thought to be extinct for a millennium. Because the Old Sith/Jedi war officially ended at the Battle of Ruusan some 1,000 years before the rise of Sidious' Sith Empire, the Republic had no need for a Grand Army and had reduced troop numbers gradually over that time period. They had no need of a standing army with the Jedi Order protecting them. The Clones were a gradual necessity as an answer to the rising threat posed by the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Many Republic citizens felt that war was unnecessary and that the creation of a Clone Army might be the provocation that would lead to all out Galactic War.

2.] In SWTOR, it seems like the Jedi have a lot more powerful powers than in the movies. I don't know if it's because the movie developers cba to do the effects or the Jedi power had weakened.

If you are referring to the Jedi shown in the Original Trilogy like the 55 year old Obi Wan Kenobi shown in A New Hope, yes they were indeed weaker than the Jedi of SWTOR or even the Prequel Trilogy. What you have to understand is that following the implementation or Republic Executive Order 66, those Jedi not murdered by their Clone Troopers went into exile, and some even hung up their lightsabers forever. When you stop practicing something, your skill and strength in it starts to degrade at some point. So too it was with the Jedi. As far as Vader goes, he is weakened because he is no longer the man he once was. His age and the fact that Vader was "more machine now than man, twisted and evil", as Obi Wan so aptly put it, resulted in his overall weakness during the OT.

3.] What happened to the proper Empire? I don't understand why they had to convert their army into a bunch of droids. They're also Separatists which I don't really get.

The Confederacy of Independent Systems was all a ploy created by Darth Sidious to push the Galaxy closer and closer to Open War. The planets that made up the Confederacy had droid armies, despite those armies being forbidden by Republic law(Droidekas and such).

Darth Sidious was the ultimate puppet master, pulling the strings on BOTH sides of the conflict, until the time was right for him to:

A. Destroy the Jedi Order

B. Destroy the Galactic Republic

C. Restore Sith Rule over the Galaxy

When he did all three of those things, the Sith Empire had returned, with himself as Emperor.

4.] The awesome trooper guy in the Hope trailer takes Sith lightning with a grunt and Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker scream out in pain? It's related to 4,5 and 6 but I'm still confused at it.

I suspect that the trooper had heavy armor on his body, which might have helped to deflect some, if not all, of the electrical discharge from the Force Lightning. If you'll remember, when Luke and Anakin were electrified, they had NO armor on them at all, so they bore the full brunt of the electrical discharge.

Again, as I mentioned above, Battle Droids were outlawed by the Republic.

6.] How the heck did the rebels lose the first scene in A New Hope? They outnumbered the stormies by a mile and had them squashed in a small space. Same with loosing the whole ship.

The Stormtroopers may have had lousy aim, but they had the numbers advantage. The Rebel complement on board the Tantive IV was tiny compared to the sheer numbers of Troopers on the Star Destroyer that intercepted it.

Add to the fact that they used superior battle tactics with those numbers and there was no hope for the Rebels on board.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by DarknessInLight