What do you think Star Wars episode 9 will do for Princess Leia's role?

nixpixsith

With the passing of Carrie Fisher, what direction do you guys think the creative minds will go with Princess Leia? kill her off in episode 8? not include her visually? or include her with special effects similar to Tarkin or young Leia in Rogue One? leave a comment if you have any other ideas:).

From the information I read she had finished Star Wars 8 and if they had her scheduled for Star Wars 9 they could go back in and reedit the end of Star Wars 8 and have her die as I doubt many fans will accept anyone else doing Princess Leia. That character was Carrie Fisher, in my opinion.

Amy Schumer will be playing Princess Leia.

I hope you are joking, because that would be so, truly disrespectful! Not to mention the age difference. I don't see them recasting anyone else, it is my hope, that they kill Leia off, as that is their only option.

My guess is that assuming she survives episode 8 is that she will not be seen on screen but will die in an attack on a ship she is on by the first order. This would set up a redemption angle for Kylo Ren since his anger seemed to be directed towards Han not his mother. Just a guess, but if we hear about the ending of episode 8 being reworked in the next couple of months I think we will know. At the very least I am guessing the script for episode 9 will have to be reworked.

I'd expect they will do something similar to Tarkin for Ep9 to have her character killed off. They only need someone with same build and close in voice tone to make it work with a partial CGI face.

It will be interesting to see what they do now.

I think if Leia wasn't originally scripted to die in 8 they should try to work in a self-sacrifice death for her using what they currently have, it would be true to the character and much better than having her die off-screen. Would also be great if they could do it with little or no CGI, but that depends entirely on what they have to work with.

Whatever they do, I really hope they address it in 8 instead of leaving us with that big question mark until 9 comes out in 3 years.

Edited by EvilMark

I can see them killing her off either at the end of part eight or the beginning of nine where CGI comes into play, unless of course Fisher's character already took the Ford route with a heroic death in the next installment. There's not a chance in hell the character will be recast. Edited by Pirana

Well, Disney may have an extra $50 mil to put towards reshoots and/or CGI if they want - they apparently had the foresight to take out a rather substantial insurance policy on Ms. Fisher's life in the event she was unable to complete filming the new trilogy.

Certainly interesting.

So from the outside looking in, it appears Fisher was slated to be cast in part nine. Which, if that's the case, I definitely see her being killed off early on, in the final installment. Financially it makes more sense to do what little CGI is needed in part nine v having to reshoot parts of eight, in addition to adding the CGI. Either that or Disney is trying to throw off fan theories pertaining to the story line, if so, that's pretty hard core. Of course this is nothing more than a hypothesis, so we'll see.

I hope you are joking, because that would be so, truly disrespectful! Not to mention the age difference. I don't see them recasting anyone else, it is my hope, that they kill Leia off, as that is their only option.

They should just kill the character off honestly.

I do not think they will go the CGI route for the character in episode 9, they have said that doing it for Tarkin and Leia in rouge one was really really expensive, so for any kind of role beyond a glorified cameo I just do not see it happening. How they handle Leia in episode 8 and 9 now becomes the most interesting question in all of star wars.

I do not think they will go the CGI route for the character in episode 9, they have said that doing it for Tarkin and Leia in rouge one was really really expensive, so for any kind of role beyond a glorified cameo I just do not see it happening. How they handle Leia in episode 8 and 9 now becomes the most interesting question in all of star wars.

Pretty sure Tarkin had about as much screen time in Rogue One as Leia had in Episode VII, so I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

Edited by DarthDymond

• 2 weeks later...

I'd had someone at school mention casting Stevie Nicks... Suggested they look enough alike...

However, I agree with many of the other posters... Give her an honorable off-screen passing if they haven't done an on-screen one in episode viii...

CM