Classes change sides?

deademan

I think it would be epic if through certain choices in your storyline you could change sides, ssay fall to the dark side like anakin or turn to light like Revan i think this would be cool but i could see certain problems occuring but what do you guys think?

Well EQ2 had a system where you could defect to the other side, was useful if you couldnt get a particular race/class combo.

Could defintaly be a great story, after all, the movies are all about the fall and redemption of one man, going from light to dark and back to light again

there is no reason to not have defections, after all thre is a defector on the Black Talon, its just a case of whether BW want ti implement it

I'd be down for defections. I already play my Imperial Agent-turned-Sniper as a double agent for the Republic, so why not after she hits 50 and finishes off her class story have her go Republic, as a sort of "mission complete?" Then my one Trooper-turned-Commando can be "hunting her down," and then ends up going off to be a Mercenary working for the Empire, because she was lied to by the Republic and hates my Agent that much that she swears off being a soldier?

The only hard part about this whole thing would be re-recording 8 lines of dialogue for every mission these characters could potentially take on. Why would my Agent suddenly sound like a Smuggler, or my Trooper sound like a Bounty Hunter?

People keep asking for this but it's too impractical. There is so much dialogue (among other things) that would need to change, even the generic responses. It just wouldn't work. Plus, how would they work this into the main class stories? They'd have to write twice as many. Edited by OldVengeance

I think it's a shame the old developer blogs aren't available on the list anymore. This has been addressed quite a few times over the years.

The reason there's no "defections" is that Bioware wanted to give you a completely different experience if you decide to level a Republic and an Imperial character. They wanted to make sure there would be no duplicate quests at all. Plus, your character is a HERO of the side that (s)he is on. Han Solo, for example, didn't really ever care that much about the Rebels, but he definitely didn't like the Empire. At no point was he going to suddenly say "You know, that chick I'm interested in kissed her brother. That's just too freaky. I think I'm going to go work for the Empire now."

Likewise, a Sith in this era isn't likely to just say "Hey, I don't like what the Emperor's doing. I think I'm going to go join those Jedi who have been trying to exterminate us for over a thousand years." Sure, there's going to be defections, but the characters the players are playing are the very best at what they do in the galaxy. The agent being played is the very best agent in the galaxy, he's not going to just switch sides and abandon the people he's out there trying to protect.

Now the above was my rephrasing of what I read from developer blogs such as Daniel Erickson's "Designing the Bounty Hunter." My personal thoughts follow:

Sure, in WoW you can switch sides if you want. But both sides have paladins, both sides have mages. You just change the race when you do it, all the abilities and talents are the same. But in TOR, it's a story based MMO and the classes are mirrored on each side. The abilities and talents have the same affects, but they have different names. And each class has a different story, and the story is the primary element of this game.

I find the idea of playing the sith warrior story to level 50 and then switching to the Republic as being silly. Especially when the idea is based on "Well, Anakin fell to the Dark side!" Sure, he did, but he was redeemed by his love for his family, balancing the Force and he ended up dying as a Jedi. Sure, Darth Revan was redeemed by his love for Bastila, but he also had been a Jedi from the start. So in the end, both ended up being exactly what they started off as.

Edited by Xargyn

Likewise, a Sith in this era isn't likely to just say "Hey, I don't like what the Emperor's doing. I think I'm going to go join those Jedi who have been trying to exterminate us for over a thousand years." Sure, there's going to be defections, but the characters the players are playing are the very best at what they do in the galaxy.

Lord "The Emperor's Wrath" Scourge would like to have a word with you...

Matter of fact, here's a quick list of canon characters (with their canon profession) who work "for the other side"

Lord Scourge, Sith Warrior - Republic aligned

Akaavi Spar, Mandalorian, Bounty Hunter - Republic aligned

Corso Riggs, Mercenary - Republic aligned

Andronikos Revel, Smuggler - Empire aligned

Gault Rennow, Scoundrel* - Empire aligned

Ashara Zavros, Jedi Sentinel - Empire aligned

Jaesa Willsaam, Jedi Shadow (if lightside) - Empire aligned

Vette, Scoundrel* - Empire aligned

*Even though these characters are not the traditional Blaster/Scattergun-Stealthy-Scrappers Scoundrels, they are described in universe as being Scoundrels

Edited by RendValor

Lord "The Emperor's Wrath" Scourge would like to have a word with you...

Lord Scourge has reasons that only a handful of people in the galaxy know about.

And, if you ever actually TALK to Scourge, you'll realize that he is only allied with a particular Jedi for those reasons. He is still a Sith, and he has no interest in ever becoming a Jedi.

And Scourge doesn't turn to the Light side, like the original poster suggested. He's still Dark sided and doesn't want to have anything to do with Jedi sermons. Now compare that to the player characters who can have whatever alignment the player chooses. You can be a Jedi that falls to the Dark side, you just won't switch over to the Empire. And you can be a Sith who embraces the Light side, you just won't switch over to the Republic.

Because, again, a Light sided Sith isn't likely to go join the Republic. The Light sided warrior's goal is to reform the Empire from within, not go join the people who have been doing their best to exterminate his family and friends for over a thousand years. Scourge is different because he knows something the player warrior doesn't, and his "defection" has nothing to do with turning to the Light, he simply wants to survive and sees the defection as his best chance at doing so.

Edited by Xargyn

Lord Scourge has reasons that only a handful of people in the galaxy know about.

And, if you ever actually TALK to Scourge, you'll realize that he is only allied with a particular Jedi for those reasons. He is still a Sith, and he has no interest in ever becoming a Jedi.

Defecting to the republic, switching sides, doesn't mean changing professions. He's still a Sith Warrior who works for the republic, even if neither party would openly admit it

Even though these characters are not the traditional Blaster/Scattergun-Stealthy-Scrappers Scoundrels, they are described in universe as being Scoundrels

You obviously missed the point I made, and that's because I have typed it out so much on these forums over the years I didn't really want to do it again. I wish I could have provided the link to the Developing the Bounty Hunter blog, but it's no longer in the list of developer blogs on the site. So now I'll explain in greater detail...

Each player of a class, for the purposes of Star Wars lore, is playing the exact same character as every other class. No matter how many warriors there are, they all are the same warrior who becomes Baras's apprentice. No matter how many knights there are, they all become Orgus's apprentice.

Are there smugglers working for the Empire? Yes. But the character the players are playing is the very best smuggler in the galaxy, which happens to be aligned with the Republic. The very best trooper in the galaxy is aligned with the Republic. The very best bounty hunter and the very best agent in the galaxy are both allied with the Empire.

Sure, the Developers could have made a story for a Republic aligned Bounty Hunter, and thought about doing so. Would a Republic Bounty Hunter be cool? Sure, but in the films both Jango and Bobba Fett fought against the Jedi. And in order to implement a Republic Bounty Hunter, they wouldn't have had the room to make the Republic Trooper.

Edited by Xargyn

Defecting to the republic, switching sides, doesn't mean changing professions. He's still a Sith Warrior who works for the republic, even if neither party would openly admit it

Actually I don't agree that Scourge is working for the Republic. I think he's working for himself, for his own survival, and he just happens to be aligned with one particular Jedi to accomplish his goals. But, assuming that he is working for the Republic, he is not the very best Sith Warrior in the galaxy and is not even considered a hero of the Empire. The player Warrior would destroy Scourge in a fight.

You can argue this all day, you won't get anywhere any more than you would if you were trying to argue that water isn't wet. The fact of the matter is, you are not the person who developed the game. Neither am I. I am telling you exactly what the reasoning behind the developers' decisions were, based on the developer blogs I bothered to read. They may possibly put in Republic Bounty Hunters and Imperial Troopers at some point. But it won't be a defection story line, because that runs contrary to the idea that a player could level a Republic character from 1 to 50 and then level an Imperial character from 1 to 50 and never once run into a duplicated quest.

Now sure, you can argue that all quests boil down to "Deliver this to there" or "kill this many of those" but you'll be doing it alone.

Edited by Xargyn

And you can "argue" all you want, but that won't change the fact that players would like to switch sides on their characters, and many of the ideas and reasonings players come up with are very valid and nicely counter the developers' own reasoning. Wether or not the developers will ever imlpement such a feature? who knows, maybe they will maybe they won't. But that won't stop players from asking for it, and neither will some flimsy claim of "OMG I RED IT ON TEH DEVS BLOG LOLOL"

Just my .02 credits

...and neither will some flimsy claim of "OMG I RED IT ON TEH DEVS BLOG LOLOL"

Just my .02 credits

Well you can insinuate that I'm a liar all you want to. But there's absolutely no reason for me to do so. I don't get paid for posting here, nor do I win magical +1 Internetz. If you doubt me, as you indicate you do, see if you can find Daniel Erickson's "Designing the Bounty Hunter" blog from sometime in 2009 I think.

Or just keep saying "ZOMG I KIN LIST NPCZ TROLLOLOLOLOL" and see how many +1 Internetz you get from that.

I'm not saying that I doubt you, I was more along the lines of insinuating that devs may change their minds somewhere in the future. You know, as it has happened numerous times in various MMOs (and considering that the guys that were in charge back then are not the same guys who are in charge now)