My one beef with legacy

darkjedibn

None of it makes sense.

All the stories are taking place at around the same time so none of them can be your children. There are references in each class/faction story to other class/faction stories. For in the Republic Nar Shadaa bonus series it mentions stuff an empire character would have done in their faction quests. Like the attack on SIS headquarters on that world.

And how a human has a biological child that is twi'lek or zabrak is absurd. Legacy is one the dumbest things they've thought up. Very ill conceived imo.

Its cannon that Humans can have kids with Twi'leks and Zabraks. Darth Maul is now a Zabrak/Human lol http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomirian

Edited by Iwih

Its cannon that Humans can have kids with Twi'leks and Zabraks. Darth Maul is now a Zabrak/Human lol http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dathomirian

That is biologically impossible.

It would require unnatural sith alchemy. The kind of stuff that breed the human-sith hybrids. Humans, Zabrak and Tw'lek are completely alien to each other. They cannot hop in bed and procreate. It would be like a hutt and a koala bear having kids.

The new species someone made up for a kids cartoon would have happened sometime after TOR. Darth Maul was a zabrak before someone thought it would be cool to say he was something else and he died after his fight with Oi-wan until somebody thought it woudl be cool if he survived being chopped in half and dropped down a bottomless pit. LOL. And rather or not it's "canon" is debateable. That page even claims that lady from that Battle of Endor movie back in the 80's was a nightsister. Ha! Now the force allows people to shapeshift into animals? Like I said, the whole canon business is debateable.

My biggest problem with legacy is that it sort of pushes you into creating characters of the same species. How can a zabrak be a father to a Chiss??? Makes no sense... So unless other family relations are allowed like wife's cousin or something it just makes no sense...

Sure i don't have to add them to family but then I cannot have 2 separate legacies so... It's a bit weird to say the least...

What I think legacy should be is a legacy of a PLANET... So for example you could say that all your characters come from some planet that you name yourself... That way they are not related but they share common birth place and therefore the legacy...

Edited by MarkoJinn

My biggest problem with legacy is that it sort of pushes you into creating characters of the same species. How can a zabrak be a father to a Chiss??? Makes no sense... So unless other family relations are allowed like wife's cousin or something it just makes no sense...

Sure i don't have to add them to family but then I cannot have 2 separate legacies so... It's a bit weird to say the least...

What I think legacy should be is a legacy of a PLANET... So for example you could say that all your characters come from some planet that you name yourself... That way they are not related but they share common birth place and therefore the legacy...

There is an adoptive child option in the legacy tree.

Not going to lie, bioware seemed to half *** this whole legacy thing a bit. They could've at least done like a random character generator for the companions so it gives them a new look and a random name. Just seems like they could've put a bit more effort into this.

*snip* unless you're playing with friends whom all have different classes than you, you'll need to divorce your character from their "official" storyline anyway- in multiplayer rp, you have to account for multiple heroes often doing many of the same things, since you're divorcing it from that anyway, rpers should have no trouble with the necessary suspension of disbelief- when you roleplay, your character isn't THE hero, they're A hero.

*snip* takes only the lightest inspiration from his actual experiences, and the same goes for the stories crafted around the characters of my friends. I retooled things to fit into a multiplayer role playing perspective.

This. This is the same thing I do, and the same thing all of my RP, legacy loving friends who play TOR do. I know I've seen several people in the thread say the same or similar things but it keeps getting washed away by "I'm confuuuuuuuused!" :p

i think the point of the tree could be more to do with the fact that kids and siblings can use powers (well at least 1) of others.

so if you have your jedi knight and consular married and they have a kid that becomes a smuggler or agent they have a unatural talent that is passed on from their family.

my smuggler was a jedi but she left the order when they signed the treaty and the senate blamed them for the sacking, so it will be nice for her to actually have a latent force power rather than be pretending she is force senstative.

Edited by Kaisernick

To answer the original poster, it doesn't make any sense for any two people to go through the same storyline. I mean, all of our characters are doing the same side quests anyway. If you try to think that hard about it, it'll fall apart.

My only problem is that your main and his/her child will grow up in the same time period... But even then you can stretch that a bit - The storyline is during an indeterminant time in this whole mess and since there were multiple wars between The Republic and The Empire in a short amount of time, you could argue that it is a different war ten or so years earlier, and that you are only in the same time once your story is complete.

I agree to a point that having children using the same classes creates problems, but you can go out of the box a little and select the alternate side, or give them (as other people have suggested) a non force sensitive role. Also, you could go as far as span down a few generations, for example (and this is just a work in progress :o):

Two sisters both Rattataki, one becomes a bounty hunter, the other a Sith. The bounty hunter marries a Chis Imperial Agent (He hired her for several dirty jobs and they kept contact.. etc.)

They have a daughter who has her mother's free spirit and father's cunning, leaves Imperial space to set up as a free trader (smuggler).

The daughter then has a child with a force sensitive Tw'lek (remembering the force already runs in the family as her aunt is a sith, and this Tw'lek can be one of your characters or just someone they met in a bar) in republic space. The child is a son, he joins the Jedi order.

One legacy using different classes, and you can even keep the skin colour's, for example

Rattataki (BH) + Chiss (IA) = Daughter of mainly Chiss with the lightest skin colouring (representing the Rattataki in her)

Chiss (smuggler) + T'wilek (with Blue skin tone)= Son with light or dark blue skin tone Twi'lek or Chiss dominance.

These are just ideas, but this is probably what my personal legacy will go along the lines of. Also remember there is a marker for adopted child, allowing you to jump to a whole new species and not re-use like I did in the above example.

It's our legacy, lets have fun making them! :D

These are just ideas, but this is probably what my personal legacy will go along the lines of. Also remember there is a marker for adopted child, allowing you to jump to a whole new species and not re-use like I did in the above example.

It's our legacy, lets have fun making them! :D

well said

This is what I did for my family tree.

My assassin and knight (both female) are married.

My female BH is the sister of my assassin.

My male SW is the child of my assassin, and my male agent is the adopted child of my assassin.

My female smuggler is the child of my jedi knight.

Story: Assassin's child is from her and andronikos, knights child is from her and doc. They are married with their male partners on the side.

My BH has very little force sensitivity but enough to be an extraordinary ordinary person, so she became a BH.

SW is child of assassin and andronikos, he serves his mother. agent was adopted and groomed to be an agent to serve my assassin inside imperial intelligence.

smuggler has very little force sensitivity, but like the bh, enough to be an awesome regular person. she smuggles stuff between my assassin and knight (story enough for the transfer of goods between them at nar shaddaa)

havent made a trooper or consular yet, if i do the trooper will probably just be an ally of the knight and the consular maybe another child of the knight.

timeline might not be there and id do the same stuff as the parent.. but sometimes you have to use your own imagination rather than relying on others to do it all for you :)

Edited by evilmonkitar

One thing that people seem to forget is that story wise YOUR CURRENT CHARACTER is the ONLY one that is going through the storyline, period, full stop.

If you are an RP'er and can't figure this out then you should probably find a different hobby.

As an RP'er you should be RPing your current character anyway. If you decide your other characters are part of your family tree it just means they came before, again for your current character, what is happening now. Irregardless of what you as an external agency of the universe, have experienced.

I think Talos has it right...if you're really a creative RP'er, you already had all this worked out. Before I even knew how the Legacy system was going to work, I already had a family of characters created and even a explanation of how they could exist in the same time frame.

Most of the people out there only want the family tree for buffs.

Here is the only thing that rubs me the wrong way about legacy. In the legacy tree you can make an alt a child. So let say i have a Jedi knight main and i decided to role another Jedi knight alt (crazy example i know but shows my point). So if my new jedi knight alt is a child of my main then what makes sense about a child going through the same story as my main did? It doesn't make any sense to me. From a timeframe stand point this just screws up the stories like crazy. I'm not even a roleplayer in game and this mess up my lore love just a wii bit.

As an rp-er myself, I just don't use BW's story as it restricts my own story a bit too much. I use it as a skeleton, (My SI rpc was a slave like the SI I play in SWTOR but they only share a personality after that).

The legacy tree (if you rolled several same class alts) is to have that family tree be an existing in-game mechanic to help portray your rp story.

Now if only they could also add a system that would allow other players to be part of your legacy tree and you could set up a link between trees. (That would create some interesting roleplaying trees between alts and stuff).

That is biologically impossible.

It would require unnatural sith alchemy. The kind of stuff that breed the human-sith hybrids. Humans, Zabrak and Tw'lek are completely alien to each other. They cannot hop in bed and procreate. It would be like a hutt and a koala bear having kids.

The new species someone made up for a kids cartoon would have happened sometime after TOR. Darth Maul was a zabrak before someone thought it would be cool to say he was something else and he died after his fight with Oi-wan until somebody thought it woudl be cool if he survived being chopped in half and dropped down a bottomless pit. LOL. And rather or not it's "canon" is debateable. That page even claims that lady from that Battle of Endor movie back in the 80's was a nightsister. Ha! Now the force allows people to shapeshift into animals? Like I said, the whole canon business is debateable.

Here's the thing i don't like it some times ether, but any thing in the cartoon is approved directly by George Lucas. So it makes it more cannon most of SW lore.

And i think most people forget the FI part of Sicfi.