kenopaa

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

because she is a heterosexual female

^this

Also: many of the theoretically possible romances aren't possible. Not every companion is into every player character romantically.

Edited by Verain

Yeah all of the base game romances are het because SWTOR only added lgbtqia+ romances in the expansions, but i wish you could at least romance "het" companions (i refuse to believe all of the companions are het; for that many people to be the same sexuality is too ridiculous a number statistically speaking lmao) in the expansions when companions are reintroduced

i refuse to believe all of the companions are het; for that many people to be the same sexuality is too ridiculous a number statistically speaking lmao

Are you sure? If we're just looking at the original companions, we can rule out them being gay or lesbian because of their clear opposite-sex attraction. With the only options being het or bi, it is not statistically ridiculous for all 19 to be heterosexual (according to my understanding of the demographics of sexual orientation). This isn't at all to say there's anything wrong with Bioware's new approach of making non-class romances 100% bi. Whether something's statistically likely isn't necessarily the best measure of whether it's good for an RPG. I am just taking issue with your statistical claim re class companions.

Are you sure? If we're just looking at the original companions, we can rule out them being gay or lesbian because of their clear opposite-sex attraction. With the only options being het or bi, it is not statistically ridiculous for all 19 to be heterosexual (according to my understanding of the demographics of sexual orientation). This isn't at all to say there's anything wrong with Bioware's new approach of making non-class romances 100% bi. Whether something's statistically likely isn't necessarily the best measure of whether it's good for an RPG. I am just taking issue with your statistical claim re class companions.

well that's the thing, is that het & bi arent the only sexualities out there! and that's not even looking at romantic orientation

to be able to put 19 people in a room together & say they're all heterosexual heteroromantic seems a bit of a stretch to me; there are a lot more lgbtqia+ folks out there than most people realize because theyre questioning/closeted. so i totally get what youre saying! but from my perspective for 19 random people to all be het is a bit funny aha

Well, keep in mind that a bi person in an opposite-sex relationship is still bi - if that relationship ends their next partner could be same gender. And people's sexuality *can* be fluid throughout their lives - the Kinsey scale goes from 0-6 (with an extra space outside the numbers for asexuality) and only the very ends of those are "exclusively heterosexual" or "exclusively homosexual." There's been a lot of research done lately on how many women who truly identified as straight in their teens and 20s find themselves identifying as bi or lesbian in their 30s onward.

Point being that if we want to split hairs, the fact that the vanilla companions were in opposite gender relationships in the class stories doesn't necessarily rule out the possibility that some of them could be bi, and it doesn't mean it would be necessarily out of character to make them available to all players in a future expansion.

To the OP, I hear you - bi female player here. I hate Quinn and wanted nothing to do with him, and if the story had allowed my female Sith Warrior to romance Vette or Jaesa she may have jumped at it. Lana Beniko's worth waiting for in SoR onward, IMHO, but it's too bad there aren't other f/f options for some variety (not every bi or L woman in the world is going to love the same companion). Bioware HAS been good about making love interests and flirts open to all players since KOTFE so at least there's been progress.

Because the folks at Bioware and/or EA weren't gutsy enough during the game's inception.

^^ This. From the mind of a corporation, it works this way: You gotta please the share holders, get that bottom line in, and that apparently meant sacrificing our same-sex relationship features when the game first started in an attempt to prevent anything that might be ill-received or make bad press, so be it. Our concerns were secondary at best. That the game got through its preliminary profitable stage to a point where it didn't matter to the revenue stream what got incorporated, presto, there's Cythriat on Makeb.

^^ This. From the mind of a corporation, it works this way: You gotta please the share holders, get that bottom line in, and that apparently meant sacrificing our same-sex relationship features when the game first started in an attempt to prevent anything that might be ill-received or make bad press, so be it. Our concerns were secondary at best. That the game got through its preliminary profitable stage to a point where it didn't matter to the revenue stream what got incorporated, presto, there's Cythriat on Makeb.

I think it also helps that the Star Wars franchise as a whole has taken a far more open stance on this in the years since SWTOR was first released. There is a lesbian Imperial officer in one of the canon books, and several people affiliated with the newest films have said there will be LGBTQ relationships and (major) characters there.

Ah the Kinsey studies. They have their good points and their flaws. Let's not place too much emphasis on them as the methodology would not stand up to the standards of "best practices" for research.

As for the fluidity of sexual orientations, that is a matter that has not been thoroughly researched. It may be fluid, but to what degree is unknown. Also, the research indicates that some people "experiment" with relationships other than their "base" orientation, but that does not necessarily indicate a change in orientation.

The "hard" numbers for the USA indicate 97.7% of the US population identify as heterosexual, 1.6% as homosexual and 0.7% as bisexual. That is as of 2014 in the National Health Statistics Reports.

Based on those numbers, putting 20 people in a room and all of them being heterosexual is not unlikely. Make the number 50 and you should find one or two non-heterosexuals in a representative sample and two or three non-heterosexuals in a 100 person group.

But this is a fantasy world, so the numbers for the "real world" have no suzerain here. Thus, for expansions, making all companions equally available to all characters is a logical progression. Some people do seem to find the romance parts of the story-lines to be highly compelling if the forum postings are any guide... Thus a greater number of available options might result in people staying subscribed for longer periods of time and possibly attract more people that are interested in such matters to the game as well. A retroactive change to the non-expansion characters could do the same, but how much work would that be?...and would it be worth the effort? (questions for someone with more knowledge than I, I once coded a tic-tac-toe game and decided I hated writing programs)

Ah the Kinsey studies. They have their good points and their flaws. Let's not place too much emphasis on them as the methodology would not stand up to the standards of "best practices" for research.

As for the fluidity of sexual orientations, that is a matter that has not been thoroughly researched. It may be fluid, but to what degree is unknown. Also, the research indicates that some people "experiment" with relationships other than their "base" orientation, but that does not necessarily indicate a change in orientation.

The "hard" numbers for the USA indicate 97.7% of the US population identify as heterosexual, 1.6% as homosexual and 0.7% as bisexual. That is as of 2014 in the National Health Statistics Reports.

Based on those numbers, putting 20 people in a room and all of them being heterosexual is not unlikely. Make the number 50 and you should find one or two non-heterosexuals in a representative sample and two or three non-heterosexuals in a 100 person group.

But this is a fantasy world, so the numbers for the "real world" have no suzerain here. Thus, for expansions, making all companions equally available to all characters is a logical progression. Some people do seem to find the romance parts of the story-lines to be highly compelling if the forum postings are any guide... Thus a greater number of available options might result in people staying subscribed for longer periods of time and possibly attract more people that are interested in such matters to the game as well. A retroactive change to the non-expansion characters could do the same, but how much work would that be?...and would it be worth the effort? (questions for someone with more knowledge than I, I once coded a tic-tac-toe game and decided I hated writing programs)

The decision by EA to avoid same-sex relationships when the game started had nothing to do with any of the above stats, zero, zilch, nada. It was all about getting through a game launch without having Focus on the Family or the Family Research Council or Pat Robertson rail against Bioware/EA, which subsequently would have made Disney look bad for using a contractor (EA/Bioware) who is sullying children with the hell-spawn taint of homosexuality.

Here's one gay guy saying I'm glad we got past that point and I hope Bioware never creates a game again where they leave off Same-sex relationships at the beginning of their game launch.

I was not suggesting that those numbers had anything to do with the initial decision. Merely responding to some comments made in the thread.

As for the various special interest groups, they are something of a blight on society in my opinion. The vast majority of people are comfortable enough in their sexual orientation that no game, movie, book or other media source will have any impact on them. Extremists of any stripe are best ignored or else sequestered away for the greater good of society...but as that is not an option in a mass media world corporations are financially justified in taking measures to protect their desired projected images. Though I wish that such was not necessary.

Personally, I would rather companies put in as many options as possible to appeal to the widest range of customers possible. Take me for instance (fishing preferably)... I play both male and female characters. I would rather romance a female character either way than a male character if I were to delve into that aspect of the game (not really my thing, I like killing stuff and messing around with crafting[while not making much profit]). Thus, personally, I would rather all romance-able characters be available to all player characters, without regard to the sex of the player character. So I agree with you on that point.

Again, my post was not to justify what was done or to give reasons for why. It was solely to address some points raised in the thread.

because she is a heterosexual female

That’s rubbish, no where does it say that. You just assume that because they’ve only been given the option for males to romance her.

This is a discussion that has gone on for years. Ive seen and read all the reasons from those against same sex relation ships in the vanilla version and why they can never retroactively change them, which is a shame, I wish they would.

But that’s not what the OP asked, she/he asked why they can’t. The simple answer is she wasn’t given the option because Bioware/EA were under pressure from the Christian lobby before the game launched to not include same sex romances. It wasn’t till Disney took over that EA/Bioware decided to move forward with same sex relationships,

...pretty sure the option to romance Vette becomes available in KotFE (I mean, for females as well as males). Not that this leads anywhere.

Also... I read today that One in Six Millenials identify as something other than heterosexual. So... with 19 companions, odds are 2 - 4 are going to be more flexible.

Edited by LordFell

Really? I don't recall any flirt options with Vette in my fem inqi?

Neither do I. The only vanilla companion I recall seeing any same-sex flirts with in KOTFE/KOTET was Kaliyo, and she shuts it down pretty quick, as I recall from the video I saw of it. For that matter I don't recall seeing flirts for opposite-sex vanilla companions in KOTFE either.

Neither do I. The only vanilla companion I recall seeing any same-sex flirts with in KOTFE/KOTET was Kaliyo, and she shuts it down pretty quick, as I recall from the video I saw of it. For that matter I don't recall seeing flirts for opposite-sex vanilla companions in KOTFE either.

Hmmm odd. Maybe he's a male that didn't romance Vette before but got to flirt with Vette in Kotfe and assumed females can too?🤔

Hmmm odd. Maybe he's a male that didn't romance Vette before but got to flirt with Vette in Kotfe and assumed females can too?🤔

That could be it - it's all I can think of, really. Maybe if you flirt with Vette as a male Sith Warrior in the class story, but *don't* lock in the romance, there are some flirts with her programmed into KOTFE anyway?

I’ve heard she was going to be one of those companions you were going to be able to have a same sex relationship with.

The pressure before launch meant they had to change it. But they had already done some of the development for her story and voice recording. So instead of redoing what they’d already started to do, they left it and then threw in the part where she shuts you down.

If you play through it before that, as if you are trying to romance her, you can see how abrupt it really is and it doesn’t feel like it’s the way they were building the companion story for Kaliyo. Which is a real shame because I think after that change, the original story for her seemed to have been scrapped and the replacement didn’t seem as in-depth or was missing key things.

Edited by Totemdancer