Mine Sweeper Class Ship?

bigbobsr

Maybe built on the lines of a Bomber but with drone destroying capabilities? Or have the current Bombers have a counter drone ability as one of the secondary weapons choice? Drones that target enemy drones? EMP missiles that actually destroy enemy drones in X radius? These missiles would be limited only to the Mine Sweeper ship or refitted Bomber class. Or a different type of ship?

Any other ideas along these lines? Please discuss.

I've thought of a class (but haven't a name of it) that would be dedicated for "electronic warfare", specializing in EMP type of weapons, and energy crippling systems, in the lines of slicer loop or Ion weapons drains.

But at the cost of having limited power/surviability, and of course a change to Ion weapons so that they're purely dedicated to Shield disabling.

I've thought of a class (but haven't a name of it) that would be dedicated for "electronic warfare", specializing in EMP type of weapons, and energy crippling systems, in the lines of slicer loop or Ion weapons drains.

But at the cost of having limited power/surviability, and of course a change to Ion weapons so that they're purely dedicated to Shield disabling.

This sounds a aweful lot like a CC ship, which I would rather not be introduced. If I get shot down I want it to be because I got outflown not because they stunlocked me to death.

Edited by Zoom_VI

novadives with EMP pulse and Pikes with emp missiles already fill this role

EMP does not totally destroy all drones in the burst area. The Minesweeper ones would. EMP pulse does not destroy drones only disables them for a short time. EMP pulse on Minesweeper would destroy them in X radius.

This sounds a aweful lot like a CC ship, which I would rather not be introduced. If I get shot down I want it to be because I got outflown not because they stunlocked me to death.

I know it sounds awful. And it would be if made badly.

CCs/debuffs are always hard to balance, most of the time it's either OP, or useless. But the same goes to buffer type of classes.

If the command-class ships that I heard about (rumors) really comes into the game some day and is a buffer-type ship, then it would need a proper counter, a debuffer.

That aside, it was only the result of my thinking of "what other role could exist". Not a wish.

I know it sounds awful. And it would be if made badly.

CCs/debuffs are always hard to balance, most of the time it's either OP, or useless.

Nah, the bigger problem is that CC isn't fun.

But the same goes to buffer type of classes.

If the command-class ships that I heard about (rumors) really comes into the game some day and is a buffer-type ship, then it would need a proper counter, a debuffer.

The counter to buffed enemies is killing them. Best debuff in the game. And a command ship (which is probably rumors and not going to happen, unless swtor_miner posted something without my noticing [very possible, I'll admit]) would ostensibly only buff things while alive. Like bomber drones, once it dies, its buffs will likely vanish.

That aside, it was only the result of my thinking of "what other role could exist". Not a wish.

I can definitely get behind that. Have you heard about the interceptor class we're supposed to get in a few months?

I think it says something, though, when "what roles could we introduce" turns into "let's make a ship that does nothing but counter a ship with silly mechanics".

Seriously, the drones explode when you shoot them. Stop being terrified of the Railgun, it's made of paper and the mines, the mines don't oneshot anyone. You can boost to a Railgun drone and shoot it down before it fires. Edited by Jandi

Seriously, the drones explode when you shoot them. Stop being terrified of the Railgun, it's made of paper and the mines, the mines don't oneshot anyone. You can boost to a Railgun drone and shoot it down before it fires.

Railgun is the worst option, it doesn't have a second weapon, its damage per shot isn't great for its cooldown time.

Interdiction mine is way scarier. It drops speed and turning down to nothing and its armed with a secondary weapon.

Railgun is the worst option, it doesn't have a second weapon, its damage per shot isn't great for its cooldown time.

Interdiction mine is way scarier. It drops speed and turning down to nothing and its armed with a secondary weapon.

And it's still made of paper. :)

I can definitely get behind that. Have you heard about the interceptor class we're supposed to get in a few months?

Yeah, I know about this one. I didn't mention it because since Kuat Drive Yards, it's almost officially annonunced.

When I thought of "new roles" I considered this one as already "in". (I assume you meant "Infiltrator" and not "Interceptor")

Scout 1 & Strike 2. Those are the "Minesweepers". I've yet to see the EMP blast NOT demolish mines in it's 3km range.

"Oh, but they don't insta-kill drones", nor should they. Why?

Mine deployment is fairly rapid, blow up a bombers mines, fine. He'll have some more candy ready soon, which means the mine carrier is still a functionally useful part of the team.

Drone deployment is SLOW, and it should be, these things are dangerous. Destroy ALL of a droneships ordnance with ONE missile? Nuh uh. Now yer gimping another ships function for your convenience. It'll be a while before they can redeploy anything of serious value to the team, you wanna be able to insta-irrelevant an entire ship class with no skill other than locking a stationary object involved? No way.

Close in, shoot the scary, menacing, terrifying, immobile and disabled drones down. Or, fire another missile.

We don't need a new ship for this. Use the tools we have.