No free respec for Combat Medics???

Musezy

This, to put it nicely, a kind of self-centred suggestion. That said, it's an easy conclusion to come to when you're the well-informed, knowledge-gathering, systems-minded forum-going type of player. But, believe it or not, that's the minority of any gaming audience. I know it's hard to believe when you look around and all you see is similar knowledge-gathering and knowledge-sharing forum-goers, but that's still the minority.

Most players have their accessibility and understanding of the game damaged when they get a free respec. For most players, this is a jarring and unwelcome experience. We don't want to have to give out respecs at all, which is why it is only limited to when it's technically essential to making your character not break. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's still the answer.

Wow, just wow, I don't think you should be posting on the forums, unless you want to piss off more customers. This is clearly a developer trolling, wth Bioware?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, to put it nicely, a kind of self-centred suggestion. That said, it's an easy conclusion to come to when you're the well-informed, knowledge-gathering, systems-minded forum-going type of player. But, believe it or not, that's the minority of any gaming audience. I know it's hard to believe when you look around and all you see is similar knowledge-gathering and knowledge-sharing forum-goers, but that's still the minority.

Most players have their accessibility and understanding of the game damaged when they get a free respec. For most players, this is a jarring and unwelcome experience. We don't want to have to give out respecs at all, which is why it is only limited to when it's technically essential to making your character not break. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's still the answer.

Bioware needs a communications manager. You people are VERY condescending.

Bioware needs a communications manager. You people are VERY condescending.

Not nearly as bad as what WoW players get on their forums from time to time and quite frankly considering how nasty, condescending, and outright childish this community can be I have no problem seeing a Bioware employee giving a sharp tongue back to it.

This whole thread is an example of WHY devs don't often reply. People think a dev trying to seem human and responding to sarcasm with some of his own is a sign that they are holier than thou. RuQu did troll in his comment. That was met with (what should pass the reasonable person test as) equally light hearted counter trolling. People whine about the counter? Please...

The reason for the lack of re-spec was given by an official person. You don't have to like the answer, but the question was answered. I don't like that I can't force choke people, but the devs aren't about to make me personally telekinetic because I'm a whiner.

If you don't like the game because you got nerfed, sorry, it happens. If you don't like it because they didn't make a mistake in your favor like they did with shadows, sorry they got things right (as they see it) for you. They didn't change how the class worked, they changed how well it worked.

TL: DR Save your whining for things that matter in the game. Which generally does not include one dev's attitude about getting trolled.

Edited by Ranevan
smily in tl: dr

This whole thread is an example of WHY devs don't often reply. People think a dev trying to seem human and responding to sarcasm with some of his own is a sign that they are holier than thou. RuQu did troll in his comment. That was met with (what should pass the reasonable person test as) equally light hearted counter trolling. People whine about the counter? Please...

The reason for the lack of re-spec was given by an official person. You don't have to like the answer, but the question was answered. I don't like that I can't force choke people, but the devs aren't about to make me personally telekinetic because I'm a whiner.

If you don't like the game because you got nerfed, sorry, it happens. If you don't like it because they didn't make a mistake in your favor like they did with shadows, sorry they got things right (as they see it) for you. They didn't change how the class worked, they changed how well it worked.

TL: DR Save your whining for things that matter in the game. Which generally does not include one dev's attitude about getting trolled.

Exactly, this is a lose/lose for the mods anyway, if they didn't respond the whiners would be whining like "I'm surprised a mod hasn't commented yet, they must not care about our class then." If they do respond, its always "What arrogance! How dare you respond with a logical argument and attempt to add humor into it!"

Most of the people in this post, are trolls, and they are not hiding it much. You can tell by the self righteous "This helps me unsub" posts. If someone wants to unsub, just do it. Unsub, go play WoW, or GW2, or any other greener grassed game.... having to state especially to a online community that you are unsubbing just shows how egotistical and delusional those people are.

NOBODY CARES. Do you really think the Mods gonna turn around and beg you not to leave? Get off your high horse people, THE GUY COMMUNICATED!!!! One of the biggest complaints I've seen is "no communication on this".. yet someone actually communicates, OBVIOUSLY joking on something...gets flamed. GG guys, you are exactly the reason we don't hear anything.

On the other hand this topic is trivial, you get a weekly unsub, our class ISNT broken, and imho its alot funner in pvp knowing I actually have to try now.

Lol

The poster he called a troll is no longer offended and actually thought the dev's response made some sense

Yet a bunch of people are unsubbing because of his comments.

Good riddance I know all of you threatening to unsub because of a dev's sarcasm are just bluffing but I hope some of you actually pull that trigger. I'm tired of hearing unsub threats from people who think they are too good to play a game where a dev posts something sarcastic in response to being trolled while actually providing insightful info as to their decisions in the same post. I for one applaud him for saying it like it is. If you have the ability to log in and respec your character manually (and probably for free) there is no reason BW should do it for you (unless not doing it automatically would break your game lol). There are WAY bigger things to whine about in this game other than a 2k credit respec. Choose your battles people, Choose your battles.

(and the dev's probably can call your bluff so stop threatening to unsub)

Lol

The poster he called a troll is no longer offended and actually thought the dev's response made some sense

Yet a bunch of people are unsubbing because of his comments.

Good riddance I know all of you threatening to unsub because of a dev's sarcasm are just bluffing but I hope some of you actually pull that trigger. I'm tired of hearing unsub threats from people who think they are too good to play a game where a dev posts something sarcastic in response to being trolled while actually providing insightful info as to their decisions in the same post. I for one applaud him for saying it like it is. If you have the ability to log in and respec your character manually (and probably for free) there is no reason BW should do it for you (unless not doing it automatically would break your game lol). There are WAY bigger things to whine about in this game other than a 2k credit respec. Choose your battles people, Choose your battles.

(and the dev's probably can call your bluff so stop threatening to unsub)

No bluff. I unsubbed when I heard about these nerfs when they first started testing them. I do not plan to resub. But then again I'm only playing because GW2 isn't out yet. At least I have the beta this weekend to decide. Most likely won't be continuing here. The game is technically a great game, its the class balance and DEVELOPER COMMUNICATION that has turned me off. Plus given a choice I'd take a fantasy MMO over a space based one.

So there. Bye.

Most players have their accessibility and understanding of the game damaged when they get a free respec. For most players, this is a jarring and unwelcome experience..

LOL! People aren't as dumb as you think Mr. Smarty pants dev guy. This statement goes to show how disconnected you are with people. Perhaps you could make a tutorial to walk us slow folk through how to respec our characters?

The more you Bioware people speak, the more and more I hate you. And here I was in other threads asking for communication, go figure.

I touched on this in another post ,but there is an easy way to resolve this. Well, at least the concept is easy, maybe it's not easy to develop or code :-).

1) Automatically reset talent trees if the changes do "break" the tree (removing talents, moving talents up/down a level, changing the cost, etc.).

2) For other classes, especially if the talents were changed as much as Commando talents were - do not reset the talent tree, but reset the re-spec cost so the initial re-spec is free, even if they re-specced hours before the patch hit. You could even take it a step further, and reset the cost scale completely (as if the person was re-speccing for the very first time). That way, people who get put out when their talent trees are reset don't have to do anything. Others, like the people who post on this forum, get at least one free re-spec (and maybe a couple cheap ones) to play with the changes and figure out what works for them without it costing a fortune.

Although i agree with you about respec's being a potentially jarring and game altering experience i need to question this stance just a bit. I don't have a horse in this race, but my Jedi Shadow was given a respec when there was nothing changed (other taking away Unity which most of forgot we had as soon as we got it). So why did we get a resepc but this class doesn't?

Although i agree with you about respec's being a potentially jarring and game altering experience i need to question this stance just a bit. I don't have a horse in this race, but my Jedi Shadow was given a respec when there was nothing changed (other taking away Unity which most of forgot we had as soon as we got it). So why did we get a resepc but this class doesn't?

He said it was a bug when someone mentioned this earlier.

He said it was a bug when someone mentioned this earlier.

yeah a bug that made everyone in the class respec? Frankly I don't buy it, it didn't happen over on the PTS -- i was there. Thanks for the info though. missed it wherever he posted.

yeah a bug that made everyone in the class respec? Frankly I don't buy it, it didn't happen over on the PTS -- i was there. Thanks for the info though. missed it wherever he posted.

Apparently the system is fully automated, and something about the Shadow changes tripped one of the triggers.

The "you get a free respec" system is automated. It happens when skill tree structure changes. We don't do it by hand. If Shadows got a free respec, then there's a bug in the system and we'll investigate. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, that is exactly what happened. The forced respec was based on your advanced class, so either everyone in the class had to respec or nobody did.

Apparently the system is fully automated, and something about the Shadow changes tripped one of the triggers.

There were no changes to the shadow jedi advanced class. There were changes to sages but not shadows. As I said, over on the PTS we were the only class that didn't respec. Now somehow they get a respec when 1.2 went live but Combat medics didn't? Regardless of why shadows got a respec that discongruity is a bit boggling. Be that as it may I still think medics deserved a respec. And I don't play one (Vanguard). Not that my opinion on the topic matters to BW though. :p

Edited by Keta

I would like to take the opportunity to both agree and disagree with this post.

On the first hand, I went away for a month or two (during which patch 1.2 happened ;)) and when I came back it was very disorienting to have to respec my characters as all of my mappings got cleared and I couldn't remember what I had where and why I had what where. Now for me that only affected two alts, but I can see it being even more disconcerting with more than two.

On the other hand, free respec doesn't necessarily mean automatic respec. It shouldn't be too complex to add something to the respec NPC that means the first respec after a change like this is free.