Force sensitive Mandalorians

Maaruin

Somehow while watching "The Clone Wars", I had the funny thought of a Jedi who joined the Mandalorians. Of course, when you think about it, it wouldn't happen. Neither would the Jedi, nor the Mandalorians accept this, I guess.

But then I thought:

What about Force sensitives who are born as Mandalorians. If I remember correctly, Mandalorians have the obligation to raise their children as Mandalorians. And Force sensitives shouldn't be an exception.

Has this ever happened in Star Wars history? Were there any Force sensitive Mandalorians? I guess the Mandalorians wouldn't give them any special treatment, but they should still excel in what they do.

Edited by Maaruin

Somehow while watching "The Clone Wars", I had the funny thought of a Jedi who joined the Mandalorians. Of course, when you think about it, it wouldn't happen. Neither would the Jedi, nor the Mandalorians accept this, I guess.

Actually, that is how Bardan Jusik survived order 66.

What about Force sensitives who are born as Mandalorians. If I remember correctly, Mandalorians have the obligation to raise their children as Mandalorians. And Force sensitives shouldn't be an exception.

Has this ever happened in Star Wars history? Were there any Force sensitive Mandalorians? I guess the Mandalorians wouldn't give them any special treatment, but they should still excel in what they do.

I would have thought they're raised as Mandalorians regardless of their Force sensitivity - which may go completely undiscovered for their entire lifetime. Even if a Jedi were to discover it, it would probably be too late to train them, and as Mando'a culture is so family/clan bound they'd unlikely give up their beliefs to join the Jedi Order - which would require them to cut their ties, so to speak. They might be more inclined to join the Sith, but somehow I still doubt it.

If it has happened, I do not know of it (my knowledge of a lot of the expanded universe is lacking). Given how the Force travels, to some extent, through bloodlines, it might be that without first accepting Force sensitives into their ranks they wont have (m)any born naturally. Or it could be, as previously speculated, they simply go unnoticed; assumed to be nothing more than highly skilled and/or naturally lucky.

The concept in general has inspired the creation of a fair amount of fanart and potentially fiction, though.

As the above poster said, Bardan Jusik left the Order to become a madalorian.

As for raising Force Sensitives...It has happened. During the cClone Wars a member of Omega Squad, a team of four elite Clone Commandos, fell in love with a Jedi. His name was Darman, her's was Etain Tur-mukan. She became pregnant with his child. When OSS was issued she was leaving the Order and on her way to meet up with Omega Squad and their training sargent, a Mando named Kal Skirata. They were going to escape to Mandalore, leaving the Republic/Empire behind. Etain didn't make it off Coruscant.

For the next sixty plus years Their son was raised as a Mandalorian. Since Bardan had also escaped with Skirata and the Clones he helped raise the child and train him in the ways of the Force so he could control it. He was first and foremost a Mandalorian with Force abilities. Not exactly the most accepted member of the Mandalorians but he was one of them.

As the above poster said, Bardan Jusik left the Order to become a madalorian.

As for raising Force Sensitives...It has happened. During the cClone Wars a member of Omega Squad, a team of four elite Clone Commandos, fell in love with a Jedi. His name was Darman, her's was Etain Tur-mukan. She became pregnant with his child. When OSS was issued she was leaving the Order and on her way to meet up with Omega Squad and their training sargent, a Mando named Kal Skirata. They were going to escape to Mandalore, leaving the Republic/Empire behind. Etain didn't make it off Coruscant.

For the next sixty plus years Their son was raised as a Mandalorian. Since Bardan had also escaped with Skirata and the Clones he helped raise the child and train him in the ways of the Force so he could control it. He was first and foremost a Mandalorian with Force abilities. Not exactly the most accepted member of the Mandalorians but he was one of them.

It should be noted that most of these characters are creations of Karen Traviss and have absolutely crap characterizations.

Thanks all, that answers my questions, I guess. So I'll assume throughout history there were some force sensitive Mandalorians, but because they got no special treatment, most of them weren't really noticed. Edited by Maaruin

Thanks all, that answers my questions, I guess. So I'll assume throughout history there were some force sensitive Mandalorians, but because they got no special treatment, most of them weren't really noticed.

There's some fan-speculation that some of the more prominent Non-Jedi/Sith characters had a mild connection to the Force. For instance, Han Solo is pretty much one of the best pilots ever, to the point where some of the crap he got away with is almost unheard of for an un-augmented human. Another one is Boba and Jango Fett. There's been some talk that Jango/Boba may have had a mild connection to the Force, but nothing trainable, because of his (Jango's not Boba's) success in taking on Jedi, and Boba for living as long as he did in the Bounty Hunting game. Absolutely nothing in Canon supports these hypotheses, though, so don't put any stock in them at all.

As for the "special treatment" thing, however, Karen's Jedi-Turned-Mando-Mando (I can't remember his name) was referred to as the Mando-Talk equivalent of "father" by a lot of the Clones, if I'm remembering their honorific for him correctly. He was basically Traviss' pet mouth piece of outrage against the Jedi Order, he soundly condemned them for taking Jedi recruits young and called it kidnapping (even though the Jedi Order never did such a thing). Then, funnily enough, when a Force Sensitive child was born on Mandalore, guess who came riding in and decided that the child had to go with him no matter what whether the parents wanted it or not? If you guessed Karen's pet ex-Jedi, you guessed correctly.

Spoiler for Knights of the Old Republic: War comic book series follows:

A group of Jedi defect to the Mandalorians during the Mandalorian Wars. They are not extremely liked, as the Mandalorians tend to hate the Jedi at worst and, at best, view them as a worthy opponent rather than an ally. Still, a Jedi who identifies with the Mandalorian ideals is not unheard of.

I think it was in Revelation (a Traviss book) where Jaina was told that a force-sensitive Mandalorian would be useful only for getting something off the top shelf. I can't find the exact quote anymore, as I've lost the link to the review I read of it. Still, it was suitably derogatory and insulting to Jedi, in true Karen Traviss fashion.

A group of Jedi defect to the Mandalorians during the Mandalorian Wars. They are not extremely liked, as the Mandalorians tend to hate the Jedi at worst and, at best, view them as a worthy opponent rather than an ally. Still, a Jedi who identifies with the Mandalorian ideals is not unheard of.

I think it was in Revelation (a Traviss book) where Jaina was told that a force-sensitive Mandalorian would be useful only for getting something off the top shelf. I can't find the exact quote anymore, as I've lost the link to the review I read of it. Still, it was suitably derogatory and insulting to Jedi, in true Karen Traviss fashion.

You really can't take Karen Traviss' take on these things seriously. Before she came along, Mandalorians respected the Jedi as worthy opponents, and didn't hate them at all. She pretty much re-wrote the entire Mandalorian culture into a Jedi Hategroup.

You really can't take Karen Traviss' take on these things seriously. Before she came along, Mandalorians respected the Jedi as worthy opponents, and didn't hate them at all. She pretty much re-wrote the entire Mandalorian culture into a Jedi Hategroup.

You can hate and respect someone at the same time.

You really seem obsesed with Traviss TBH.

Interesting. Did they use lightsabers as Mandalorians?

lol. That statement is simply not true. Plain and simple, there is no way around it. The character who said it has no idea of better reflexes and the other stuff that goes unnoticed.

A Force sensitive mandalorian would dodge a blaster bolt, and he would say he was just extremely lucky.

You can hate and respect someone at the same time.

You really seem obsesed with Traviss TBH.

She comes up a lot in these conversations because she re-wrote so much of the Mandalorian culture to her personal perspective. At no point (that I can recall) prior to Karen Traviss did the Mandalorians have anything but respect for the Jedi and their combat prowess. Once Ms. Talifan started writing, all of a sudden all they were good for was getting jars open and they were regularly referred to as the "Bathrobe Brigade".

The point being, she is an extremely biased source for anything regarding the Jedi and the Mandalorians, and her personal view is pretty obvious in all of her characterizations and character interactions.

Interesting. Did they use lightsabers as Mandalorians?

lol. That statement is simply not true. Plain and simple, there is no way around it. The character who said it has no idea of better reflexes and the other stuff that goes unnoticed.

A Force sensitive mandalorian would dodge a blaster bolt, and he would say he was just extremely lucky.

If you play KOTOR and listen to Canderous talk about his battles against Revan, you know that he has an intense respect for him. He viewed fighting Revan as an honor. It was the best grindstone upon which to sharpen his skills. That said, he doesn't seem to share that sentiment when it comes to the Jedi as a whole. But, he does mention that the Jedi are the top dogs in the galaxy, and that's why the Mandos keep going after them.

As for your spoiler question, I offer this:

She comes up a lot in these conversations because she re-wrote so much of the Mandalorian culture to her personal perspective. At no point (that I can recall) prior to Karen Traviss did the Mandalorians have anything but respect for the Jedi and their combat prowess. Once Ms. Talifan started writing, all of a sudden all they were good for was getting jars open and they were regularly referred to as the "Bathrobe Brigade".

The point being, she is an extremely biased source for anything regarding the Jedi and the Mandalorians, and her personal view is pretty obvious in all of her characterizations and character interactions.

You really dont have to try and expalin your slant to me, i've been on the Star Wars block a looooong time now. Did they like holding hands with Jedi? Doubtfull, just because it wasnt wrote down doesnt mean we cant use a little deductive reasoning on the matter.

After centuries of getting beat down by Jedi, not because of thier "combat prowess" but because they got lucky in a galactic wide genetic lottery and have super powers, tbqh it was prolly starting to rub the Mandos wrong.

You can yap all day about how OP she made mandos but i bet there will be no mention of Troy Denning and his passionate love of his lord and savior demi-god Jedi that he makes them out to be, or say Christine Golden and her Jedi love letters......i mean novels.

But hey, history is written by the winners right?

*sigh* Aximand, are you going to come into every Mando related thread and whine about how Karen Traviss ruined your life?

If someone brings up the ridiculousness that passed for Traviss' contribution to post-ROTJ EU, then he's certainly entitled to speak his mind.

She did drastically change the Mandos, and made them out to be superior. She began doing that in her Republic Commando books.

• 9 months later...

No matter how you feel about the "traviss-travesty" it is still canon (well, it was until lucas sold his goose with the golden eggs) so thats how it is :/

One thing to note tho (and correct me if im wrong, since i never did read the books) is that they all take place during the movies-era right?

Whos to say that mandalorian culture was exactly the same 3000+ years earlier?

This is a necro, but I may as well point out what an awesome idea a Force sensitive Mandalorian would be. If handled right of course. Mandalorians with lightsabers! Yeah awesome!

Well, technically Bardan Jusik became a Mandalorian after he left the Order.

Though I don't think a child of Mandalorian descent taken in by the Jedi would retain its sense of Mandalorian culture. Would be cool to see an army of Mandalorian Force users fighting in battle, though. :)

Edited by Aurbere

Well, technically Bardan Jusik became a Mandalorian after he left the Order.

Though I don't think a child of Mandalorian descent taken in by the Jedi would retain its sense of Mandalorian culture. Would be cool to see an army of Mandalorian Force users fighting in battle, though. :)

Nah, army would be overkill, even an army of Jedi looks silly. I was thinking one awesome looking Mando with a lightsaber kicking butt with his clan on Mando buds.

Wow, just searching Mandalorian Jedi on Google images comes up with some pretty cool results

They did give us Pre Vizsla with his darksaber though, which was a pretty cool idea indeed.

Nah, army would be overkill, even an army of Jedi looks silly. I was thinking one awesome looking Mando with a lightsaber kicking butt with his clan on Mando buds.

Wow, just searching Mandalorian Jedi on Google images comes up with some pretty cool results

They did give us Pre Vizsla with his darksaber though, which was a pretty cool idea indeed.

Oh cool! Very neat images.

I liked Pre Vizsla, and the Darksaber was sweet.

Realistically a Force sensitive Mando would probably not be a good thing, without any actual Jedi formal training he probably would just be a wild person in combat with no real training in controlling his emotions and the like. His force useage would probably just be "meh" maybe able to lift a rock or something but I wouldn't see him being very good in that aspect. Armed combat, I see more a besker type of guy. Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Realistically a Force sensitive Mando would probably not be a good thing, without any actual Jedi formal training he probably would just be a wild person in combat with no real training in controlling his emotions and the like. His force useage would probably just be "meh" maybe able to lift a rock or something but I wouldn't see him being very good in that aspect. Armed combat, I see more a besker type of guy.

Probably. And they'd probably be prone to random bursts of power like other untrained Force-sensitives.