Overall Effects of Class Rebalancing in 1.2

Catharian

I think this is my 2nd or 3rd post, but i wanted to state my opinion on what I think the reasoning is behind these sweeping class changes coming in 1.2. For the record, I have 3 characters played to 50, a Shadow Tank, a Gunnery Trooper, and a Sorcerer Healer. I have lots of raiding experience from WoW, and know a bit of what kind of effort it takes in that particular game to down certain areas of content.

SWTOR is easy. WAY easy. Bosses generally have simple mechanics and a short enrage timer is the norm on content. Now I actually don't think this is too terrible a thing. Bioware wants people to enjoy the content and see it. However I do not think they believed it was going to be as easy for the players as it turned out to be. People cleared the content very quickly, and were left with nothing to do while we waited for the next content patch.

Now, Bioware has a problem - bored players. How do they fix it? Well one way is to re-tune all of the current content to make it more difficult, and thus take more time to complete. The other option is making characters weaker. They have chosen to make classes weaker. I believe they focused on the healing classes in particular as the healer is the lynchpin on which the raid revolves. Healers are there to mitigate the damage the encounter does to the group while the other members defeat it. By reducing the amount of healing throughput, the encounter is made more difficult for all involved.

In this way, Bioware is attempting to make the game more challenging without redoing all of the encounters that they created for it (undoubtedly a large undertaking). They chose the easier path for their programmers.

TL/DR: BW reduced character power rather than retool the game encounters in order to make the game more challenging and take longer to work through content.