Wait a cottonpicken second here...

Aleeha

I dunno why I didn't think about this before but I just have to ask - since when does light have the ability to become a solid object with tinsel strength? A beam of light is not a solid object, so with lightsabers is there some rod which then has "energy" around it?

I can see if the energy has enough heat to melt objects as in the Phantom Menace when the jedi sticks his saber into the door and beings to melt it. OK, heat is causing that. Light can generate heat. Makes perfect sense.

However, if a lightsaber hit another lightsaber without some "rod" in the middle they'd just pass through one another.

There's some wonkywoo physics going on here.. ;)

There is a make believe "force field" that contains the light to give it that form, yet somehow also allows all the heat to be released... kind of, but not really because if that were true, the amount of heat released would kill anyone holding the lightsaber so...

The Force!

I dunno why I didn't think about this before but I just have to ask - since when does light have the ability to become a solid object with tinsel strength? A beam of light is not a solid object, so with lightsabers is there some rod which then has "energy" around it?

I can see if the energy has enough heat to melt objects as in the Phantom Menace when the jedi sticks his saber into the door and beings to melt it. OK, heat is causing that. Light can generate heat. Makes perfect sense.

However, if a lightsaber hit another lightsaber without some "rod" in the middle they'd just pass through one another.

First off, it's "tensile strength", not "tinsel", which is what you put on a Christmas tree. lol

Second, it's sci-fi, so light-emitting swords = OK. In fact, I find it interesting that you seem to have no problem with Force powers, but get tripped up over lightsabers.

First off, it's "tensile strength", not "tinsel", which is what you put on a Christmas tree. lol

Second, it's sci-fi, so light-emitting swords = OK. In fact, I find it interesting that you seem to have no problem with Force powers, but get tripped up over lightsabers.

Lifting star ships with invisible space mojo is totally reasonable, sir!

What I want to know is how Yoda, who happens to be a goblin, wound up siding with the Rebel Alliance?

Edited by Quip

i dunno why i didn't think about this before but i just have to ask - since when does light have the ability to become a solid object with tinsel strength? A beam of light is not a solid object, so with lightsabers is there some rod which then has "energy" around it?

I can see if the energy has enough heat to melt objects as in the phantom menace when the jedi sticks his saber into the door and beings to melt it. Ok, heat is causing that. Light can generate heat. Makes perfect sense.

bad physics in science fiction?! Omg!

Lightsabers are a beam of plasma kept in place by a magnetic field, when it hits another lightsaber, the magnetic fields push away from each other, when it hits an object the object goes through the magnetic field and is burned by the plasma.

It's really best if you avoid thinking about the physics of Star Wars.

You are questioning the credibility of a sci-fi movie, with supernatural abilities and multiple alien races, which was first released in 1977? And you'd like to sound smug about it as if your sudden flash of intelligence has never been realized by others before you?

/facepalm

I dunno why I didn't think