No Death, Only Wrath: Volume 3

bright_ephemera

*shuffles through the dust on the stage* Hi, all. Been a while. *adjusts the microphone at the podium*

Nalenne was a warrior Sith

Who was known as a borderline myth.

Though easily piqued,

To her friends’ aid she streaked

And invited her pals to come with.

Some time ago I published a hundred-short-chapter story called There Is No Death, There Is Only Wrath (NDOW). It followed the exploits of Sith Warrior Nalenne in the interlude after the end of the class lines. A followon, No Death, Only Wrath: The Helicarrier Chronicles, continued Nalenne’s story.

Here, for the first time, Nalenne takes on game canon. In No Death, Only Wrath: Volume 3, warrior Nalenne and her inquisitor sister Niselle embark on the adventures of Forged Alliances and beyond. They are helped or hindered by their intrepid crews along with the Imperial military Insanity Company and plentiful quantities of sisterly rivalry.

Spoiler policy:

Warrior and Inquisitor Acts 1-3 spoilers are assumed throughout, along with the general story of the Shadow of Revan expansion. The general arc (Forged Alliances, Rishi, Yavin) will always be marked above each story. Details of class stories apart from the endgame job titles/descriptions, and post-recruitment companion plotlines, will always be marked in bold. Class-specific content in post-Chapter 3 sequences will always be marked in bold. NDOW and NDOW: Chronicles are not required reading, though spoilers for them show up as background here pretty fast. If you pick one to read first, pick NDOW.

It should be clarified that all companions are alive at the beginning of this story. Except Lord Scourge (see the Helicarrier Chronicles for that).

Thread index:

3-1. In which we see a slice of Nalenne's downtime

3-2. In which Nalenne is made privy to a plan

3-3. In which Nalenne and Niselle land on Tython

3-4. In which Nalenne and Niselle make battle plans on the fly

3-5. In which certain questions are raised

Part 3-6. In which Niselle has suspicions

Part 3-7. In which the ride to Korriban is too long

Part 3-8. In which reinforcements arrive

Part 3-9. In which sisters fight on Korriban, again

Part 3-10. In which the Council chambers are explored

Part 3-11. In which Darth Arkous is satisfied

Part 3-12. In which Lana Beniko voices concerns

Part 3-13. In which Darth Marr is consulted

Part 3-14. In which Nalenne’s crew has a concern

Part 3-15. In which Nalenne has holovid opinions

Part 3-16. In which Nalenne gets a message from the higher-ups

Part 3-17. In which Niselle receives correspondence

Part 3-18. In which Nalenne gets more secretive correspondence[/

Part 3-19. In which preventive measures are taken

Part 3-20. In which taglines are mulled over

Part 3-21. In which technology is discovered

Part 3-22. In which conspirators are confronted

Part 3-23. In which the way out is contested

Part 3-24. In which our group gets along just swimmingly

Part 3-25. In which questions are answered and raised

Part 3-26. In which sisters engage in girl talk

Part 3-27. In which Sith correspondence continues

Jaesa and Darth Nox ficlet

Part 3-28. In which other parties voice concerns

Part 3-29. A Poetic Interlude

Part 3-30. A second poetic interlude

Part 3-31. In which nothing much is accomplished

Part 3-32. In which Lana gives the next bit of bad news

Part 3-33. In which the party is selected

Part 3-34. In which we reach the bosses

Part 3-35. In which we get to the title screen

Part 3-36. In which contraband gets the hell out

Part 3-37. In which the party splits

Part 3-38. In which the afterglow is put out

Part 3-39. In which Nalenne and Quinn collect

Part 3-40. In which landfall on a new world happens

Part 3-41. In which a reunion occurs

Part 3-42. In which Nalenne and Rho seek a plot device

Part 3-43. In which Nalenne and Rho check holo records

Part 3-44. In which Nalenne and Rho prepare for the unknown

Part 3-45. In which awkward adjustments are made

Q&A

Edited by bright_ephemera

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Part 3-1. In which we see a slice of Nalenne’s downtime

Hiatus is code for “good times”;

Morale clambers upward and climbs.

For leisurely days

Are for soaking up rays

Or soaking in proceeds of crimes.

The S.A.B.E.R. Helicarrier cruised through deep space like a shark through the merciless inky void; that is to say, it wasn’t breathing and had taken on a dark greyish tinge.

The crew within were not worried. Quinn was on leave from his duties on the Method, which meant Nalenne was in a good mood, which meant Jaesa was minimally terrorized, Vette was downright perky, Pierce was lacking only a good firefight to make his day ideal, and Broonmark was peacefully absorbed in tinkering with either stims or bioweapons, no one was really sure which, in the cargo hold.

“So how great was that Tatooine rental?” Vette said to no one in particular. “Sandy beaches…”

“No rakghouls,” chimed Jaesa.

“No Sand People,” grumbled Pierce.

“No containment breaches,” said Quinn.

“Plenty of shade,” said Nalenne, passing a head over her bare red but unburned head.

“So take out everything that makes Tatooine Tatooine and it’s practically tolerable!” said Vette. “We should go again sometime.”

Quinn frowned. “We do have a war to prosecute, you know.”

“Vacation time still adds up when you’re prosecuting wars,” said Vette. “It’s a rule.”

“No it isn’t,” said Quinn. “Not in the Imperial military.”

“I think she meant in the figurative sense,” Jaesa said diplomatically.

“Give me ten minutes with the database and it’ll be a rule,” muttered Vette.

“Not to say the captain had a point or anything,” said Pierce, “but we do have a war to get back to.”

“And I can’t wait,” said Nalenne. “The Hand isn’t talking to me ever since that little incident with the bathrobe…”

“Are we ever going to hear about that?” said Pierce with a small, very sharp smile.

“No,” Nalenne and Jaesa said simultaneously.

“Anyway,” said Nalenne, “I think we get to pick our targets.”

Quinn straightened further. “It just so happens that I have a list…”

“Hero of Tython,” Broonmark buzzed from down the hall.

“What?” said Vette.

Nalenne held up a hand for quiet. She executed the fine series of self-Force-choke variants necessary to produce the sounds of a native Talz. She didn’t do it quite right. “Big of Tyyython snack later,” she called.

“…Good try,” Broonmark rattled back, and went back to work.

“Vette,” said Pierce, “lay off the chirping.”

“What? I wasn’t chirping. I can if you want me to, though.” She tapped her inert slave collar. “Ch–”

But the chirping was the holo, and Nalenne answered.

Part 3-2. In which Nalenne is made privy to a plan

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan introduction, Forged Alliances. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

Beniko and Arkous and Goh

Had a plan to bring Jedi to woe.

Their brilliant solution

Required execution

By someone more willing to show.

The conference room was a narrow assemblage of brightly colored readouts making a manic attempt at emulating productivity. When Nalenne walked in she found three Sith: a lithe Pureblood a head taller than her, a seated Chagrian who appeared to be making a go at meditating a Dark Side singularity into being right here in the middle of the Imperial fleet, and a Human with artfully tousled blonde hair. They all felt powerful, which had Nalenne seriously reconsidering this invitation. Two to one was fun play. Three to one might be an even fight.

And then it got worse. Niselle walked in.

“What is she doing here?” they said, pointing.

“Ah, my esteemed colleagues,” said the tall Pureblood, gesturing grandly. “If I could carry a tune I would sing of this day.” Nalenne looked at Niselle. Niselle looked at Nalenne and barely shrugged. “What we are about to accomplish, the galaxy will forever behold with great wonderment.” He lowered his eyes from the visionary rafters. “But perhaps I’m getting ahead of myself. After all, we’ve never properly met.”

“Yes, we have,” said Niselle. “We had lunch last week after the Council debate. You spent the entire time staring at Khem and stuttering when you tried to talk.”

“I’ve never properly met your sister,” Arkous amended. “A pleasure. In my capacity as Minister of Military Offense, I have repeatedly enjoyed the fruits of your labor.”

“Military Offense?” Nalenne said skeptically. “You’re too young. Why don’t we have the guy who coordinated the Sacking of Coruscant? He was good.”

Niselle sighed. “He was murdered, you twit. As were the five Ministers after him.”

“Oh,” said Nalenne. And, brightly, “Good luck!”

“Moving on,” Arkous said loudly. “This is my most trusted advisor, Lana Beniko.”

The blonde turned around from her console and fluttered her eyelashes. “So much strength I sense in you,” she said, looking from Nalenne to Niselle and back. “After all the trials you’ve endured, to stand here now is quite an achievement.”

“No thanks to you,” Nalenne coughed sideways.

“Look who’s talking,” Niselle wheezed back.

Lana stood perfectly still during the byplay, then continued with consummate, nearly un-Sith-like professionalism. “You’ve been invited here to perform an act once thought impossible: an attack on the Jedi Temple of Tython.”

Nalenne took that in for a moment.

“Are we, now,” she said.

Arkous beamed. “Promising leads have been rare ever since Imperial Intelligence was effectively dismantled. However, a source I personally trust has alerted me to a hole in Tython’s planetary defenses.”

“You might want to watch out for leads from personally trusted people,” drawled Niselle, staring at Nalenne.

“Oh, shut up,” said Nalenne. “Exactly what weaknesses do you expect to find in the defenses of the base of the Jedi Council’s power in the center of Republic space? Did you figure out when all the perimeter guards take their lunch break?”

A defiant Arkous stuck out his chin. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“Oh, no. I’m sure they have gaping holes in their defenses just waiting for the Sith brain trust to roll in.”

“That’s not outside the realm of possibility,” said Niselle. “I have a Jedi for an apprentice. I assure you they are all highly trained in the art of being a moron.”

Arkous was developing a certain strain about the eyes, as if he sensed this conversation getting away from him. “Yes! If we act fast and strike hard, it will absolutely ruin Republic morale. Annihilate it.”

Lana nodded. “While you concern yourself with the assault, Lord Goh will be tasked with keeping the Temple secured.”

Niselle frowned. “Wait, is he going to keep it secured before or after we assault it?”

“He will follow your lead,” Lana said impatiently, “and retain possession of the Temple after you pass through.”

Nalenne peered at the meditating Chagrian. “Is he going to wake up in time?”

“Some of us actually hone our skills,” Niselle murmured at no one in particular.

“I hone,” retorted Nalenne. “I hone all the time. I can hone right now if you really want me to.”

“As if anyone wants to see that,” Niselle continued in no specific direction.

Lana gave a strangled little cough. “So long as we have control, we’ll explore the artifacts and histories stored inside. Imagine all we can learn about the Jedi and the Force.”

“Or we could just burn it,” said Nalenne. “Just a thought. Professional opinion of the Emperor’s Wrath.”

Arkous shook his head decisively. “The longer we hold the Jedi Temple, the deeper the wound to the Republic’s morale, and the longer it will take them to recover.”

“We can hold ashes. I’m fine with that.”

Niselle crossed her arms, frowning. “Not that I’m agreeing, but last time I checked it takes longer to recover from incineration than from three hours’ sitting there reading their stolen books.”

“Lord Goh and the others will be hard at work extracting what knowledge we can from the Temple,” said Lana. “For now, your shuttle awaits.”

Nalenne frowned. “You mean transport, right? A big one? Full of strapping young shock troopers?”

“My lord? It will just be the two of you.”

“Like hell it is. My crew goes where I do.” Nalenne looked at her sister. “And whatever she can scrape up.”

“I’ll bring Ashara,” Niselle said languidly. “It’ll be just like the life she could have had if I hadn’t kidnapped her. Only with more killing Jedi and setting fire to every sanctuary she might ever have sought.”

“Insanity Company should be here,” said Nalenne. “Can you imagine them all getting to overrun Tython?”

Niselle sneered. “Your husband would have some trouble containing himself, wouldn’t he?”

“That’s for him to know and me to find out. I’m just saying–”

“Time grows short,” said Arkous, “and glory awaits. If you don’t mind…?”

“My crew are just upstairs,” said Niselle.

“My people should be on deck three with the ice cream guy,” said Nalenne.

“And then you’ll go?” said Arkous through a clench-toothed smile.

“Sure,” said Nalenne. “Why not?”

Glad to see Nalenne and crew making a comeback! Hijinx will undoubtedly ensue. :D

Indubitably. :D

I have the feeling I'm really going to enjoy this :D Can't go wrong with SW stories! I also enjoy the verses you post as a lead in. Neat idea! :)

The limericks are by far the most addictive part of writing Nalenne. And there's a lot of Nalenne-addiction going on my head. Which is why I'm sharing with the class!

Part 3-3. In which Nalenne and Niselle land on Tython

This series has pervasive spoilers for the Shadow of Revan introduction, Forged Alliances. It also regularly uses the chapter 3 titles for the Sith Warrior and Sith Inquisitor, along with the background of their companions.

Tython, the Jedi retreat

Has never known loss or defeat.

Unless you pre-date,

in which case your fate

was sealed by said Jedi, tout-suite.

(This limerick dedicated to the Flesh Raiders.)

Lieutenant Pierce touched his rifle’s barrel to the ground and ripped out the smoking plasma canister before fitting another in its place. He looked up at Nalenne and beamed. “Best. Assignment. Ever.”

“We haven’t even hit the Jedi yet,” said Nalenne, scanning the battlefield. All along the forested ridge, droids and hapless Republic soldiers were charging and screwing it up. Niselle and Xalek were linked furies of lightning, apparently competing for the crown of “least efficient mass murderer on the field.” Ashara was yelling objections of some sort even while she swung her mismatched green sabers, Nalenne wasn’t really clear on that. Andronikos appeared to be hefting a pistol in one hand and an oversized flask in the other, rampaging through a drinking game of his own device. Talos appeared to be taking notes. Khem Val waded through the damned like he’d been born for this. To be fair, after a thousand years of nothing pretty much any movement would feel like he’d been born for it. The point was, however, he seemed ready and eager for the work at hand or at claw.

On Nalenne’s side, Jaesa, sniffling a little, had refused Nalenne’s offer of a tour and instead volunteered to stay with the shuttle. Vette was trailing Nalenne with a big burlap sack for trophy lightsabers, leaving Broonmark and Pierce to flank Nalenne while Quinn took advantage of the chaos to surgically excise droids from the field. For once she let his affinity for murderbots go unremarked. It was just so satisfying to watch droids seize up and fall over.

Satisfying, and yet…“Nis?” yelled Nalenne as she launched herself at another knot of Republic defenders.

“What?” Niselle yelled, irritably. Her next bolt of Force lightning arced over Khem Val and took out his two next targets. The woman never did know to respect a kill.

“Have you noticed that the Jedi’s first line of defense is non-Jedi?” yelled Nalenne.

“Hm. I was just thinking these were too easy.”

“If I don’t actually get to fight Jedi on this expedition there’s going to be hell to pay back with Arkous.”

“We’ll find someone.”

“We better.”

The ball of Sith destruction rolled on.

Part 3-4. In which Nalenne and Niselle make battle plans on the fly

When foes are ka-boomed and ker-splatted,

Defense and morale are combatted.

We all know what’s done:

The work is such fun

When insult’s to injury added.

"Droid-dammit," huffed Nalenne, and lopped the head off another gangly combat droid. As the Jedi had not yet got the hang of putting their critical processing somewhere less vulnerable, the droid dropped like a sack of desh. "Where did the actual Jedi go? I could swear we had one in here somewhere."

"Stealth, my lord," reported Quinn. "Reconfiguring my data scanner no-urk."

"NONE OF THAT." Nalenne leaped to swing her saber, a desperate attempt to rescue Quinn from anything and everything.

He held very, very still. "It's nothing, my lord. I just stepped on one of these..." He turned up his boot to reveal a stiff metal corkscrew, still smoking..."things."

"Droids." That's when Nalenne felt the saber whoosh behind her head. She whirled and engaged.

Once the last of the droids were down, and their little master too, Nalenne surveyed the freshly durasteel-carpeted field. "Nis?"

"Hmm?"

"I think the entire Jedi curriculum just flashed before our eyes."

“I think you’re right. Sad, really.”

They pressed on up the stairs.

The foyer had seen better days, for instance yesterday or possibly this morning. Now a huge holocron sculpture had rolled back into the embrace of the twin curving stairs. The twin curving stairs were cracked and scattered with debris.

And, all over the floor, in some cases perched on larger fallen rocks, were Jedi.

The whole room shook. Everyone looked up. Nalenne frowned. "Guys? You can stop now. Quinn. Tell them to stop now. Orbital bombardment is not how I want to go."

"Right away, my lord." Quinn took out his holo.

"We could just step outside and let them get crushed," said Niselle. "Like you just told us not to do."

"What, and miss a brawl like this? I think-" Nalenne stuck her saber out to the side and skewered a leaping Jedi "-not."

Before the fight was even over Quinn trotted over to a console and started typing. A well-exercised and cheerful Nalenne caught up. “So?”

“Up those stairs and around here are the Jedi Council chambers,” said Quinn. “I recommend–”

“A photo shoot,” said Niselle. “Of course. Let’s kill everyone and then get pictures sitting in their chairs. Darth Arkous wanted a morale hit? The HoloNet will love it. And so will everyone who ever had a bone to pick with the Republic.”

Nalenne nodded, only partially convinced. “Then we scour the whole place top to bottom. With lightsabers.”

“Obviously,” said Niselle, rolling her eyes. “I wasn’t going to skip that.”

Love it! Especially the last bit. How delectably evil to want to kill them all and then take selfies with their stuff. Awesome. :cool:

I always hope the dark stays dark humor, but the idea of Nalenne dancing on Satele Shan's chair and posting the results to the Holonet was just too good to pass up.

Part 3-5. In which certain questions are raised

When a fight is conducted with ease,

The thrill of it may not quite please.

A battle soon rested

And barely contested

Won’t satisfy true devotees.

Nalenne and Niselle jogged to a halt. The basement corridor up ahead ended in a chaos of what appeared to be lawn furniture, stacked in haphazard storage.

“Lenny?”

“Don’t call me that.”

Ashara snickered.

“And do keep your pada- sorry, apprentice, under control.”

“Lenny, focus. I think we ran out of things to kill.”

Nalenne eyed the furniture and sighed. This was but the last of many corridors they had charged and cleared since breaching the gate over two hours ago. “I think you’re right.”

“No Jedi Council in session. Such a pity.”

“Almost like they had someplace better to be,” Nalenne said resentfully. “At least we got pictures.”

“What place would that be, I wonder?” drawled Niselle. “Ah, well. We’d better get upstairs and see what’s at the library.”

“Databanks,” said Nalenne. “What’s so exciting there?”

“Are you coming or not? Maybe there are some padawans hiding up there you can kill.”

“Oh, when you put it that way…”

Quinn fell in a half step behind Nalenne. “My lord,” he said, “the defenses we have encountered, or the lack thereof, really do suggest that there are elements at work beyond our initial assessment.”

“Arkous’s assessment was perfectly rosy,” purred Niselle.

Quinn nodded. “So how did he know when the entirety of the Jedi Council was going to be on vacation?”

“Along with ninety-nine percent of the planet’s population and all but four anti-air guns?”

“The orbital bombardment we weren’t invited to did help with that,” Quinn said reasonably.

Orbital bombardment, indeed. Nalenne cast a resentful look that took in both her husband and her sister. “You’re putting an awful lot of analysis into ‘we just won a crushing victory against our worst enemy.’”

“Our worst enemy wasn’t even trying,” snapped Niselle. “I resent that.”

“They were trying a little bit,” grumbled Broonmark, swiping his hand across a scorched gash on his arm. However, no one paid any attention to him.

I've been asked about spoiler policy, so I'll mention guidelines here:

The general arc (Forged Alliances, Rishi, Yavin) will always be marked above each story.

Details of class stories, not including endgame titles/job descriptions, and post-recruitment companion plotlines will always be marked in bold.

Class-specific content in post-Chapter 3 sequences will always be marked in bold.

Spoilers for previous NDOW events will as a rule not be marked; links to referenced stories will be provided where I remember to do so.

Part 3-6. In which Niselle has suspicions

The study of tool or toy

Yields knowledge that one may employ.

A specialization

Deserves admiration:

It’s there to be used – so enjoy.

Upstairs in the antechamber to the great library, Nalenne and Niselle’s crews patched their wounds and chattered. The Jedi were all dead and all noncritical electronics quite thoroughly lightsabered.

“Nalenne?” Vette said, looking around at the elaborate geometrical carvings on the walls and the almost organic contours of the furnishings.

“Yes?”

“Can I steal everything?”

“Anything you can fit in the bag. Go for it.”

Vette flung her a messy hug and scampered away.

In ran an Imperial sergeant from one of their tardy support units; he wore heavy Imperial armor but kept his well-coiffed head helmet-free. “Um, pardon the intrusion, my lord, I thought you’d want to know. The Jedi Temple is now fully under our control. We have a number of Jedi Padawans in our custody. Must be recent additions, they didn’t know the first thing about fighting. What would you have me do with them?”

The sisters exchanged looks.

“Pierce? Broonmark?” said Nalenne.

“Xalek? Khem?” said Niselle.

There were two “Yes, milords,” one drawn-out affirmative grumble, and a brief, enthusiastic buzz. The four followed the sergeant out.

“He’s actually powered by blood,” said Nalenne, without bothering to specify which one she was talking about. “It’s best for everyone involved if there’s some to spare.”

Niselle had sidled over to where the silent Chagrian Sith they had more or less met at spacedock was holding a holo in what could only be assumed was a very one-sided conversation with Darth Arkous. “You haven’t found it yet, Lord Goh, because the bastard Jedi don’t want it found! Keep searching.”

A larger holo burst into life-sized form behind them: Lana Beniko, still looking a little disheveled. She smiled at Nalenne. “The Temple and its mysteries are all ours now. Darth Arkous is indescribably pleased.”

Nalenne cast a look at her sister. “Were we not invited to the Arkous’s pet party?”

“It’s no secret,” Lana said briskly. “With the Temple secure, Lord Goh has been tasked with uncovering any hidden information stores.”

“Funny, that,” said Niselle, tearing herself away from Goh’s attempt at either Force-powered telepathy or just the ability to set fire to things over holo links. “What are we hoping to gather here?”

“The secrets of the Jedi. Secrets of the Force that they have protected for so long.”

“And you’re hiring an alien Lord to do it when the Darth of the Dark Council in charge of Ancient Secrets is right here?”

“I’m- I’m sure Darth Arkous has a plan,” said Lana. “You’re far too important to waste crawling through the stacks.”

“I would love to crawl through stacks,” said Niselle. “It’s what I do for fun, just ask Talos. Who, by the way, is currently trying to embed himself in the databank over there. Let me handle this.”

“Lord Goh has a specific assignment,” said Lana. “It isn’t my place to call him off.”

Just then Niselle’s holo rang. “That’s quite enough,” she said to Lana, and cut her off.

“Who would ever want to call you?” Nalenne mused loudly.

“Text only,” said Niselle, staring. “It would seem I’m eligible for a limited-time offer on fabulous timeshares on Kamino, informational session starting tonight.”

“What the hell? And why didn’t I get one?”

“Because you’re supposed to be out touring the galaxy, not sitting in the Council chambers,” Niselle said in a tight voice. “I have a feeling I know what lured the Jedi Council away from here. We need to get to Korriban. Now.”

Timeshares?” Nalenne said incredulously, but Niselle was already stalking past.

“He’s actually powered by blood,” said Nalenne, without bothering to specify which one she was talking about.

Both. Definitely both.

“The secrets of the Jedi. Secrets of the Force that they have protected for so long.”

“And you’re hiring an alien Lord to do it when the Darth of the Dark Council in charge of Ancient Secrets is right here?”

That is an incredibly good point there. Too bad the game never acknowledges that. Definitely a good reason for an Inquisitor to start getting suspicious of the circumstances.

just ask Talos. Who, by the way, is currently trying to embed himself in the databank over there.

talos come back we need you

I'm excited to see what happens next.

I agree with Vesaniae, that is a good point (and one I hadn't thought of before)...if anyone should be rifling through ancient Jedi things, it should be the Inquistor, given her sphere.

As always, I enjoy the touches of humour, and found myself tickled by Vette wanting to steal anything that isn't nailed down lol. Great stuff, looking forward to more! :)

Part 3-7. In which the ride to Korriban is too long

With lasers or Forcible choke,

One battles an enemy bloke.

No time to be soft:

A fracas aloft

Demands an immediate stroke.

“Milord,” said Pierce. “You really believe the Republic will hit Korriban?”

“It seems to be a day for ill-advised offensives,” said Nalenne. “Then again, I hate to believe my sister. – By the way, Nis, why didn’t you attack back there in the basement? Prime assassination opportunity.”

Niselle sneered, her corrupted skin looking almost grey in the mood lighting of the S.A.B.E.R. Helicarrier. “If you died on Tython it would be as a Sith hero, assumed to have fallen to a Jedi’s lightsaber. I deserve better than that out of your death.”

“Oh. So Korriban’s still a go.”

Niselle smiled faintly. “Most likely.”

“Just so we’re clear.” Nalenne looked to her side, where Quinn was just putting away his holo. “What’s the word?”

“Insanity Company can rendezvous above Korriban. From there we can make the landing together.”

“There’s no time,” snapped Niselle. “This vessel is landing as soon as we get there.”

“We’ll get off at the orbital station to coordinate,” said Nalenne. “You can go land and die if you want.”

“First kill’s on us,” Andronikos said idly, watching Nalenne out of the corner of his eye.

“Yeah,” said Nalenne, “but the cleanup’s mine.”

“We do not want clan mop duty,” buzzed Broonmark.

“Sure you do,” said Nalenne. “You’re prime fur for getting to soak up all the blood.”

They saw the space battle from the moment they left hyperspace. The fleet of star capital ships that usually stayed in improbable orbit low over the greatest landmarks of Korriban were now in upper atmosphere doing battle with the aesthetic crimes that were Republic ships.

“Whoa,” said Vette, in the absence of any other commentary. “That’s some serious firepower.”

“Who knows what wreckage they’re causing even now,” whimpered Talos.

“Just who do they think they are?” snarled Niselle. “If anyone’s going to take over Korriban it’ll be me.”

“Or me,” chimed Nalenne.

“Oh, like you would know what to do with a planet.”

“There was that moon in the Manaan system,” said Pierce.

Jaesa fidgeted. “That one was excessive, master.”

The ship clanged into position. Nalenne and her crew disembarked for the orbital station above Korriban. Which, conveniently, wasn’t on fire yet.

Part 3-8. In which reinforcements arrive

This story contains the names and broad caricatures of characters found in the Jedi Knight Belsavis, Sith Warrior Balmorra, Imperial Hoth, and Imperial Taris.

For the desperate, the dark and the dire

A competent touch is required.

Insanity may

Be the watchword that day

When frying pan meets with the fire.

The Method was waiting alongside Korriban’s orbital station, which had through an accident of geometry stayed out of the line of fire. The officers of Insanity Company had disembarked to meet Nalenne’s party.

“My lord!” Captain Rutau snapped to attention. “It’s an honor, my lord.”

“Captain, I practically live on board your ship. I see you at breakfast every day. You can cut the formalities.”

“My lord!” Lieutenant Hareth snapped to attention. “It’s an honor, my lord.”

Nalenne rolled her eyes.

“My lord,” said Ensign Durmat Rylon, snapping to attention, then thought better of it. “Er, hi.”

“Shouldn’t we be doing something about the Republic offensive?” said Captain Pandorr. “It looks terribad out there.”

“Quite,” said Quinn. “My lord?”

“Yes, let’s land,” said Nalenne.

“We’ll get every last one of ‘em,” said Ensign Rylon, stroking his vibroknife.

“For the glory of the Emperor,” blazed Lieutenant Hareth. “To die on the sands of Korriban–”

“Is a Jedi-only activity,” Quinn said firmly.

“There is no requirement for dying for the glory of the Emperor here today,” added Rutau. Hareth sulked.

“Never been to a sand planet before,” said Lieutenant Ritter. “Is it better or worse than snow? – Trick question. Everything’s better than snow.”

“I’m gonna go with tactful silence on that one,” said Vette.

“Come on,” said Rutau, “our shuttle’s this way.”

Nalenne’s holo crackled. “Are you here yet?” came Niselle’s thin and irritable voice.

“Working on it,” snapped Nalenne. “This is Insanity Company. No one gets left behind.”

Hareth raised a finger. “Except Lieutenant Ritter, that one time.”

Pandorr scoffed. “Oh, he walked it off just fine.”

Ritter scowled and stoicked*.

“That’s the spirit,” Rutau said brightly. “Now, come on. On your word, sir."

Quinn nodded crisply. "For the Empire!”

* Stoic (v) (past tense stoicked): To stand stoically. And refuse to respond in a normal human manner to anything. See also “being Malavai Quinn.” (etymology: this is not a real verb)

** Lieutenant Hareth was demoted from Colonel after her role in the Jedi Knight line on Belsavis. Captain Pandorr was picked up from his station on Taris. Lieutenant Ritter was promoted after his role on Hoth. Captain Rutau was promoted after his role on Balmorra. Ensign Durmat Rylon was transferred after his role in the Sith Warrior line on Balmorra.

but does Insanity Company have a theme song they slaughter to? important question, bright. very very important

This question has been tormenting me for hours. Eye of the Tiger certainly has the unbeatable spirit, but there's gotta be something out there that expresses the fanatical-devotion aspect!

Saturday.

Part 3-9. In which sisters fight on Korriban, again

This story contains the names and broad caricatures of characters found in the Jedi Knight Belsavis, Sith Warrior Balmorra, Imperial Hoth, and Imperial Taris.

When circumstances conspire to zero out morale. When the odds are too steep, the danger too great. When lesser soldiers would just give up or run away. When the mission requires a mix of invincible courage and inspired madness. Insanity Company takes up the charge.

Insanity Company is the legendary beating heart of the Imperial military. Here the most manically, irrepressibly devoted of Imperial band together for the Empire and for each other. Though casualties on the Imperial borders reduced the company to a handful of officers, General Malavai Quinn was tasked with reconstituting and leading Insanity Company back to the forefront of the Empire's battles.

The secret of Korriban’s sages

Are buried in tombs for the ages.

The place is dramatic,

If monochromatic,

With blood in its history’s pages.

Korriban was a shambles, and for once, so far as anyone could tell, neither the Dark Council nor the Wrath was responsible.

The Republic attack had been ludicrously well-outfitted and well-placed. Here were the Jedi the sisters hadn’t gotten to kill on Tython. Nalenne was glad she’d had Vette empty her bag of ill-gotten goods in anticipation of ill-getting more goods, particularly trophy Jedi lightsabers, here.

Nalenne fought her way across the pre-reddened sands to where Niselle was flinging Force lightning at another wave of Jedi. “Remember doing this all the time just before finals rolled around and everyone was hell-bent on winning an apprenticeship or dying trying?” she yelled. “It’s just like basic training, except that everyone knows what they’re doing.”

Niselle casually torched a Jedi mid-spin. “Except for him.”

Nalenne swung and cut a charging Jedi down mid-step. “And her, I guess.”

“Honestly how did these people even get here without tripping over their own–” a pause for a shrieking lightning strike–“incompetence?”

“Teamwork and the power of friendship?” suggested Nalenne.

“Hm.”

Behind them Insanity Company started fanning out. Nalenne looked back and forth, trying to pick a direction. “Uh, guys? Jedi?”

“The Jedi have done nothing right all day,” Lieutenant Ritter pointed out. “We’ll be fine.”

“Honestly they’re unhopeable,” agreed Pandorr. “This’ll be no trouble at all.”

“All right. Have fun.”

They crested the next ridge and Nalenne stopped dead.

“This has got to violate some kind of safety code,” said Vette was they stared into the valley. Electrified fences stretched to either side of a control panel. And between Nalenne’s party and the control panel…was a twelve-foot-tall droid festooned with fat blaster cannons.

Nalenne’s frown determinedly pulled at her bone ridges. “Who the hell puts these murderbots everywhere? When did this become an acceptable tool of warfare?”

“My lord,” said Quinn.

“How am I supposed to get anything done when people are constantly launching rocket-powered death machines at me?”

“My lord,” said Quinn.

“And don’t get me started on the lasers. Lasers! They’re like lightsaber cannons but too clumsy to be awesome. What kind of barbarian plasters those all over?”

My lord,” said Quinn, with a maddening lack of guilt in his voice.

That’s when the k’lor’slug tackled Nalenne from behind.

If its pincers could reach to the center of its own body Nalenne might have been in trouble. As it was she was stuck flat against its sternum and it couldn’t quite reach. It curled over in an effort to slobber on her and failed while she brought her saber to bear clear through its chest.

“Ugh,” she yelled, while Quinn shot past her to take down another one.

Broonmark appeared at her shoulder, swiping something off her back. “Sith clan should be careful. K’lor’slug venom is–”

“Let me guess. Fatal?” She vaguely remembered something like that from school.

“Hard to wash out,” buzzed Broonmark. “We follow Sith clan.”

Love the humour and your way with words. I can totally see poor Quinn trying to warn her and she's gabbing away lol. I think I can identify with that, because it happens to me all the time. Well, except the K'lor'slug part anyway. Looking forward to more so keep it coming :D

Part 3-10. In which the Council chambers are explored

A willing desire to share

Won’t cover one’s wonderful chair.

The furniture earned

is important, we’ve learned

And belongs in one’s own private lair.

The invasion was closing on the chambers of the Dark Council. Insanity Company’s officers were converging from their sweep of the Korriban Academy.

“Has anyone seen a classroom yet?” Rutau said disdainfully.

“I think there were killing-people-a-lot rooms,” said Ensign Rylon. “We ought to ask about getting some of those for the troops.”

“You run out of Republic soldiers faster than you might expect,” said Pandorr.

Lieutenant Pierce spat. “You can say that again.”

Hareth looked downright cheerful. “We truly channeled the Emperor’s fury when we bathed this ground in the blood of our enemies!”

“She is the Wrath,” Ritter said reasonably, jerking his thumb toward Nalenne. “Wrath. Fury. Furiath? Pandorr could probably make a really awkward combination of the two.”

“Awkward?” said Pandorr. “That was brilliant!”

Niselle and Nalenne made for the great double doors. No one was holding them for the simple reason that the guards in charge of holding them had died in the original incursion.

Niselle coughed. Loudly.

Rutau and Quinn caught on in time to sprint forward and pull the heavy doors open. Nalenne smiled brightly at them both as they passed.

The vast room with its twelve high-backed stone chairs (none for the Wrath, a point Nalenne made early and often) stood empty but for one oversized Jedi in duranium armor. He was seated in Niselle’s chair with his legs crossed.

“Oh you picked the wrong chair,” seethed Niselle.

“Is someone getting pictures of this?” Nalenne stage-whispered. “Because we need pictures.”

“Oh,” said the Jedi. “You’re here.”

“Were you hoping to keep that seat?” Niselle said bitterly.

“No,” he said. “It’s just that my purpose is already served. You can stop what’s happening.”

“What’s happening is you’re in my seat!” shrieked Niselle.

“And, hilarious though that is, if I don’t get a seat you definitely don’t,” called Nalenne, and charged.

The Jedi surged to his feet, saber suddenly at the ready. “The Force give us strength!”

“Whoa,” said Nalenne, swinging. “Two problems. Royal we? And second, Force-gives-strength is my line.”

“Or are you just getting in character?” sulked Niselle. “You know, for Dark Council amateur hour.”

“Oh, I was exactly what I needed to be. And you’re too late.” He raised his other hand and snapped his fingers. Small probe droids hovered out from all directions.

“FORCE DAMMIT,” said Nalenne, and fought on.

“Focus fire on the droids,” ordered Quinn, switching his blaster’s fuel cell while he kept his eyes riveted on his wife. “As for the Jedi…watch and learn.”