Unoffical Cross-Server is coming to town thread

Touchbass

That's too bad. SWTOR was honestly not even something I was going to purchase until I heard that it wouldn't have any kind of cross-server grouping. I play MMOs to take part in a good community, not play the game single-player (random groups where no one talks to each other might as well be full of AI companions) while chatting with a couple of friends. I can do that elsewhere.

I don't believe you when you say no Cross server LFD was the selling feature, it may have been high on your list but no way was it the selling feature.

I hope they don't go ahead with this. I think it would be a very knee-jerk reaction to what the first initial rush of players want. I don't believe EA/BioWare should be chasing those players, because a lot of the initial rush is just the people who buy every single new MMO that comes out, play it for two months, and quit. In my opinion they should go ahead with the vision that I was originally sold on, and stop trying to chase the dollars of current WoW-generation MMO players - they should be chasing the dollars of people brand new to MMOs, Star Wars fans, and old-time MMO players (who have never had a new EQ-like community focused game since EQ).

The hardcore players are the ones that quit so by your argument, we should cater to casuals as they'll stick around longer.

That is what would make me pleased as punch.

I understand where you are coming from but you gotta give us something who can't find groups. Maybe, just maybe I'm wrong and X-LFD isn't the answer but how on gods green earth am I going to run flashpoints on my leveling alts in 1-2 months time? It's near impossible now unless I go sufficantly out of my way and it's going to get worse.

Edited by Touchbass

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to all who are against it, check my sig

that is all

X-PvP queues where a double edged sword in some regards. Some servers were fun battles with the same players over and over again but on others it was a ghost town and nobody was able to play. PvE already suffers from this but the difference is PvErs can raid and do other PvE activites while PvPers were up the creek without a paddle.

With a LFG system people can actually use chat to talk to other people and to form a community, other then ppl just spaming LFG and not getting anywhere with that.

I played wow for a long time and i personally saw a lot more conversing with other players in chat after the x-server lfg was implemented, so i dont see how thats a bad thing

to all who are against it, check my sig

that is all

The only people I know who are against cross server PVP are guilds who dominate spanking PUGs all day.

Now you'll be forced to play against real competition, IE other guilds who use Vent and have your same valour level.

Hope you enjoy actually having competition.

Edited by kristoffbrujah

That's too bad. SWTOR was honestly not even something I was going to purchase until I heard that it wouldn't have any kind of cross-server grouping. I play MMOs to take part in a good community, not play the game single-player (random groups where no one talks to each other might as well be full of AI companions) while chatting with a couple of friends. I can do that elsewhere.

I hope they don't go ahead with this. I think it would be a very knee-jerk reaction to what the first initial rush of players want. I don't believe EA/BioWare should be chasing those players, because a lot of the initial rush is just the people who buy every single new MMO that comes out, play it for two months, and quit. In my opinion they should go ahead with the vision that I was originally sold on, and stop trying to chase the dollars of current WoW-generation MMO players - they should be chasing the dollars of people brand new to MMOs, Star Wars fans, and old-time MMO players (who have never had a new EQ-like community focused game since EQ).

That is what would make me pleased as punch.

If BW did as you said they would be a limited niche market game struggling to survive.

If swtor is to be successful then they need to cater to the largest part of the market,

Great, now we get to have the annonymity of being from a random server and acting like the biggest d-bagging biggot'ed a-hole ever born to an entire group with no repercussions!

As a tank i say good, if ppl dont like doing what i say when i say they can sit in DF for another hour waiting for a tank like in WoW because i'll boot them, im a tank and im your god now because your in my group.

Yes, this is what will happen ppl, just like WoW, ppl will become unberable to even group with. Server side LFG queue would have been the solution, not this.

I have thousands of cross server runs done and i can tell you that it is rare to have bad people put in your group.

Thank god they are putting this in so i wont have to be limited to people like you to group with!

Edited by Notannos
rude

I can tell from your attitude that your the problem. All the name calling and emotional tantrum makes it clear that you are the kind of player that would be on my ignore list from the start.

I have thousands of cross server runs done and i can tell you that it is rare to have bad people put in your group.

Thank god they are putting this in so i wont have to be limited to people like you to group with!

Yeah, getting stuck with people isn't great and the only remedy is the X-LFD. I could just imagine if I was stuck to group with only a select few from this thread I'd go bat crazy

• 2 weeks later...
That sort of argument isnt' very well thought out. You can not use something, and still be effected by changes and mechanics. I'm not really against the tool, I just don't want to see things nerfed to pass-out-bored levels. I only used the LFG by myself a few times, and no one would ever say a word. Even if you tried to start a convo, it would die really fast.

Or, you'd run into a group of people who didn't speak your language. Made it really hard to communicate that standing in the fire without even trying to move=angry healer.

Err... Don't people playing this game need to understand at least basic English??? :) As for the standing in the fire thing... very bad lag? I think I had that happen to me a few times before giving up on raids (bad latency hits me hard at times think 1k and beyond :( ). And I think BW would be smart enough to have the LFG to group players based on their server's language i.e. French speaking servers with French speaking server.

Though I agree with you on the nerfing! Nerfing FPs = bad. :D

P.s. Starting random convos with total strangers on the planet you're on are very fun :cool: Might even find a few new friends ;)

The claims of nerfs happening due to lfd tools is shear coincident.

It may had speed up the need to tune the zones but the demand would still had come once the players moved into them even with out a lfd tool.

Just look at all the so and so zone is to hard on these forms and we dont have a lfd tool.

Over time game companies collect in game metrics and adjust the zones depending on the fail/success rates. Lfd tools especially cross server ones speeds up the data collection process since they have a lot more people running the zones. Showing the game companies where tuning (nerfs) need to be made to meet their expected success rate.

Now it is close to impossible to define what is to hard or to easy since its a subjective view point. Since ones man to easy is another mans to hard. Game companies then have to set a success rate they are comfortable with and one they think will keep the MAJORITY of players playing. Fact of the matter is the lesser skilled player base pays the bills in these games. So if they cant reasonably complete the zones then it has to be tuned so they can or they will leave for a game where it is tuned for them. One can only expect a person to fail so many times before they quit.

I personally find this game pretty easy. Yet i meet people every day who find it hard.

In no way to me does this make them bad players. It just reflects my years of gaming experience compared to there first gaming experience.

The mmo genre has evolved over the years to meet the demands of the majority of the new player base that has been brought into the genre.

The new majority of the mmo player base these days are a much more casual player.

These are players that come from such games as wow,farmsville and other online games of which there are many. I am not going to sit here and insult those players. Clearly they enjoy those games and those players number in the millions.

Those players are migrating to our mmo genre. Any game company that wants to make a profit would be silly to not make room for those millions of players. Make no mistake BW did not make this game out of the goodness of their heart for us hardcore games to play. They made this game to make money!

These players have limited time and are accustom to log on and have fun. Insult them if you will by calling them instant gratification baddies or what ever.

But they are the future of the mmo market player base. As it has moved out of the area of us geeks with our high dollar systems and into the area of the every day online user.

A cross server lfd caters to these players which IMO is a good thing.

Its even good for us more skilled/hardcore player. It brings in more money for more dev time.

What we can hope for is more settings that tune up the difficulty for us while keeping the easier settings for the others. BW has proven that they can do this since it is done in raids/ops already with 3 levels of settings. Normal, hardmode and nightmare. All that needs to be done is apply the same concept to 4 man flashpoints and leave nightmare mode of the lfd system.

Rift recently introduced this type of system to there small man content with master modes which are not on their cross server lfg listing.

If you want to do the really hard stuff you got to make your own group and run to the instance yourself. The key here is that these master mode zones are so tough that a true team needs to be put together for them or you will fail.

yes rewards would need to be adjusted but that is simply a matter of some dev time.

Simple fact is that done correctly a game can support both hardcore and casual players at the same time.

it can also support a cross server lfg system while also allowing those that want to form their own groups to do so.

Hopefully as the genre evolves more the game companies find ways to still keep the ole style players at least semi happy while also allowing the genre as a whole to develop with the times!

The claims of NO it will kill the server communities are false if done correctly.

I even forsee in the future of games moving away from the concept of single server games.

Such innovation to the mmo genre such as cross server lfg systems, cross server ignore and friends list. help me to see this. Games like eve have already done away with it.

Way back daoc did so in away by creating clusters of servers. While it was done to combat falling population on the servers it did show that even years ago it was possible to allow more than one server to interact together in common zones.

The year is 2012 and the genre doesnt need to be stuck in time!

I know that some players prefer the ole way and it starting to sound like my grandpa with his back in the day i walked uphill to school in the snow!

I have a gramdma that refuses to use the new flat screen we got her for xmas.. She dont like it and still has the old 100 pound monster tube sitting in her living room.

ye yea i am a wind bag and its 1am! good night!

Well said my friend, well said.

....As i see it, x-lfg might work in a normal leveling system, but should never be implemented on the hard modes or operations. those should require enough coordination to require a pre-made group with communication to be able to complete.

Agreed. At least this way on low population servers people get to experience the content on normal and at level before going into hard modes rather than lvling to 50 and soloing the FPs and going into hard mode semi clueless. But maybe give the option to select for x-servers for hard modes if needed?

In the dev. Q&A on Feb 10th Dual Spec got confirmed and now an interview with Stephen Reid has just confirmed they are looking into a cross server flash point finder which is huge considering they said they didn't like the notion originally.

It's been discussed, it's gone back and forth from cross-server to single-server.

We'll be talking about this more during the Guild Summit next week.

In the dev. Q&A on Feb 10th Dual Spec got confirmed and now an interview with Stephen Reid has just confirmed they are looking into a cross server flash point finder which is huge considering they said they didn't like the notion originally.

http://toroz.com.au/2012/02/stephen-reid-qa-summary-transcript/

Who won? Who is next? You decide!

EDIT: For people skeptical or lazy

Simon – Any plans for an LFG tool?

SR: Definitely being looked at including cross-server Flashpoint tool. Definitely wanting to do.

EDIT 2: The above is not "word for word" and there is a podcast that you can listen to and the LFD part comes around 26:10. Under no way or form does he say LFD Is coming cross server but he confirms that they are in fact looking at it which is HUGE from their previous stance.

I'm only one person, but when this gets added I will be unsubbing. I dont think MMO's are for me anymore.... Too mnay kids(now adults) are used to insta everything. Oh well, life goes on. :cool:

I haven't been very excited about swtor in awhile i mean i enjoy it still but i haven't really been excited. This makes me excited. I have wanted a flashpoint finder so badly.

Early on i did not want a cross server finder thinking that players would be more honest inside their own server. Sadly that is not the case and i have had three columni pieces lost do to people rolling need on them even though they are not for their class and saying oops clicked wrong button.

Now i've just come to realize that cross server finders do not make people screw others over. Some people always screw others over no matter what. So i say go all the way with a cross server finder. At least with that if i get screwed over 50% of the time i can still find groups a lot faster and do more flashpoints.

It's been discussed, it's gone back and forth from cross-server to single-server.

My wife and I are having good luck with getting into groups. However, I hope you guys decide on a cross server LFG instead of just a server wide one.

No *********** way bioware. Do not do this.

No to cross realm PVP servers

NO to cross realm dungeon finders.

Bad idea is bad. Bad when blizzard did it(I actually left) and bad if you guys do it.

If there is a problem condense servers. Dont add this awfull community breaking ********.

If ANYTHING add a CROSS PLANET LFG Chat Channel.

Edited by Yndras

No *********** way bioware. Do not do this.

No to cross realm PVP servers

NO to cross realm dungeon finders.

Bad idea is bad. Bad when blizzard did it(I actually left) and bad if you guys do it.

If there is a problem condense servers. Dont add this awfull community breaking ********.

If ANYTHING add a CROSS PLANET LFG Chat Channel.

eh, if you only played a few months of wow then you didn't really play it long enough to form a valid opinion.

eh, if you only played a few months of wow then you didn't really play it long enough to form a valid opinion.

Dont assume to know how long i played. I played since patch 1.6 in vanilia(warlocks dots were removed apon death in pvp) till about 2 months after the created the lfd finder.

Having played SWTOR for nearly three months now, it has reminded me exactly WHY the cross-server LFG system was such a good thing. Basically, all talk of forming communities and such aside, getting a group in good time has to be the priority.

So what I would say to Bioware as they debate single-server or cross server is this.

Go Cross-Server. Just do it now, and get it over with. If you only implement it as a single-server option, then the option to expand it to cross-server will sit there tempting you and you'll almost certainly end up doing it anyways.

Just do it cross-server from the get go.

Edited by Obelisk-Kai

Without Cross server ppl with bad schedule timing cant compare , thats a big gain for the game imo. More people at different times who can catch up.

And some1 already said , bad ppl is bad whatever the server they come from.

I'm only one person, but when this gets added I will be unsubbing. I dont think MMO's are for me anymore.... Too mnay kids(now adults) are used to insta everything. Oh well, life goes on. :cool:

Ill counter yours with ill buy a extra sub if they make it cross server!