Why Does Every Important Imperial Character Die?

CheesecakeCzar

Like seriously, every Imperial Character that I learned about in the comics and the novels died. Malgus, Baras, Angral, and Thanaton played important roles in various media just to die in somebody's class story, or for Malgus, a flashpoint. Then they also killed Kilran and replaced him with somebody incredibly boring. Also, approximately half of the Dark Council dies. The Emperor also gets his arse handed to him. What is with this? All we are left with is Darth Marr (the boy who lived) and the rather dull Grand Moff Ilyan Regus. Why can't the Empire have some interesting characters, besides the player characters themselves? It just makes the Empire a much less interesting faction. Edited by CheesecakeCzar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the most part I'm kind of indifferent about their deaths - I mean, most of them are Sith. Dying at the hands of other Sith was going to happen sooner or later - but I'll absolutely agree about Kilran. What a waste of a fantastic character with a fantastic voice actor. What was he even doing fighting in person? His fleet was blockading the station, and the Republic ships are either destroyed or fled. He'd basically won. Edited by Bleeters

For the most part I'm kind of indifferent about their deaths - I mean, most of them are Sith. Dying at the hands of other Sith was going to happen sooner or later - but I'll absolutely agree about Kilran. What a waste of a fantastic character with a fantastic voice actor. What was he even doing fighting in person? His fleet was blockading the station, and the Republic ships are either destroyed or fled. He'd basically won.

This would be more troubling to me if Kilran weren't an embarrassingly incompetent feeb. Every single time he appears in the game, he makes stupid decisions and does virtually nothing right on purpose. Throwing away what would seem to have been a fairly major victory is pretty much par for the course.

Edited by Euphrosyne

Like seriously, every Imperial Character that I learned about in the comics and the novels died. Malgus, Baras, Angral, and Thanaton played important roles in various media just to die in somebody's class story, or for Malgus, a flashpoint. Then they also killed Kilran and replaced him with somebody incredibly boring. Also, approximately half of the Dark Council dies. The Emperor also gets his arse handed to him. What is with this? All we are left with is Darth Marr (the boy who lived) and the rather dull Grand Moff Ilyan Regus. Why can't the Empire have some interesting characters, besides the player characters themselves? It just makes the Empire a much less interesting faction.

Be patient. The best is yet to come concerning that one, even though it's kinda predictable if you take into account his beliefs during the Battle of Ilum.

Incidentally, the reason I'm hoping that the "Saresh is secretly the Emperor" crackpot theory is true is that it would enable us to have a few Republic-themed Operations just for variety :p

Hm, I didn't know about this theory. But... it would explain quite a bit. Not only my contempt for that character. :p

Well, that would be a nice plot twist for sure.

Ontopic: The Empire is destined to fail, so they all gonna die. Imho.

Hm, I didn't know about this theory. But... it would explain quite a bit. Not only my contempt for that character. :p

Well, that would be a nice plot twist for sure.

Ontopic: The Empire is destined to fail, so they all gonna die. Imho.

On a more serious note, at least the Emperor is forthcoming concerning his designs for the Galaxy. Saresh, on the other hand, is a total nut job.

Quite honestly, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact Taris had fallen to the Empire after her governorship but if you take a certain decision, in a certain storyline, you really begin to grasp how downright evil she is, not to mention the people she has - most likely - backing her.

Like seriously, every Imperial Character that I learned about in the comics and the novels died. Malgus, Baras, Angral, and Thanaton played important roles in various media just to die in somebody's class story, or for Malgus, a flashpoint. Then they also killed Kilran and replaced him with somebody incredibly boring. Also, approximately half of the Dark Council dies. The Emperor also gets his arse handed to him. What is with this? All we are left with is Darth Marr (the boy who lived) and the rather dull Grand Moff Ilyan Regus. Why can't the Empire have some interesting characters, besides the player characters themselves? It just makes the Empire a much less interesting faction.

Darth Marr is still there, and will probably continue to be for some time.

I've always seen Baras and Thanaton as being representative of elements of the Empire that needed to be removed were it to have a chance of winning.

I've always seen Baras and Thanaton as being representative of elements of the Empire that needed to be removed were it to have a chance of winning.

Thanaton I agree with; Baras, not so much, if only he did the Galaxy a favor by...

Trapping the TRUE Voice of the Emperor on Voss. Finished the SW storyline three times and at least in one occasion, I felt this urge to kill everyone on the Dark Council, bow before Darth Cartman and be made his Wrath.

Again, it's actually quite possible he could have done a bang job as the Voice(less) of the Emperor. We will never know I guess. ;)

Edited by Darth_Wicked

Thanaton I agree with; Baras, not so much, if only he did the Galaxy a favor by...

Trapping the TRUE Voice of the Emperor on Voss. Finished the SW storyline three times and at least in one occasion, I felt this urge to kill everyone on the Dark Council, bow before Darth Cartman and be made his Wrath.

Again, it's actually quite possible he could have done a bang job as the Voice(less) of the Emperor. We will never know I guess. ;)

While Baras was efficient at what he does, he places his own advancement above the well being of the Empire. While not unusual for a Sith, it's that sort of thing that usually leads to the defeat of the various incarnations of the Sith. His, and Thanaton's idiocy cost the Empire Corellia if you ask me.

If anything their deaths make way for new major characters, the moff or admiral chick that's going to be in the KDY FP looks interesting.

Perhaps, but so far any new characters introduced more or less since launch have been content to show up once for some quest chain segment or whatever then disappear completely.

Edited by Bleeters

The Moff Regus part is funny because:

(CAUTION: spoiler of future content not announced yet )

He is going to die too in a Flashpoint called "The Imperial Warlord". That information was leaked at the release of SWTOR. All those leaks had come true, some with a few changes like Lehon=Oricon. Source: http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.5

Edited by RommelESP

The Moff Regus part is funny because:

(CAUTION: spoiler of future content not announced yet )

He is going to die too in a Flashpoint called "The Imperial Warlord". That information was leaked at the release of SWTOR. All those leaks had come true, some with a few changes like Lehon=Oricon. Source: http://www.torhead.com/guide/leak-1.5

There's actually no proof whatsoever that Oricon replaced Rakata Prime, especially having in mind that if you take into account the dialogues, Rakata Prime would take place AFTER the Dread Masters are defeated.

Also, some far more recent datamining has suggested that stuff pertaining Lehon is still in the works.

There's actually no proof whatsoever that Oricon replaced Rakata Prime, especially having in mind that if you take into account the dialogues, Rakata Prime would take place AFTER the Dread Masters are defeated.

Also, some far more recent datamining has suggested that stuff pertaining Lehon is still in the works.

So we still have THAT to look forward to.....

:(

joy:(

While Baras was efficient at what he does, he places his own advancement above the well being of the Empire. While not unusual for a Sith, it's that sort of thing that usually leads to the defeat of the various incarnations of the Sith. His, and Thanaton's idiocy cost the Empire Corellia if you ask me.

Actually it was Zash who was doing trying to self advance when she got Skotia killed, not Thanaton. Thanaton just did what he did to punish Zash and those who served under her (including SI).

Edited by Sadishist

Actually it was Zash who was doing trying to self advance when she got Skotia killed, not Thanaton. Thanaton just did what he did to punish Zash and those who served under her (including SI).

Thanaton's brand of idiocy was clinging to out dated traditions.

Edited by LordGarmaZabi

Thanaton's brand of idiocy was clinging to out dated traditions.

He only clung to those traditions when it suited him to do so, and was perfectly willing to abandon them if he felt it necessary or desirable.

I will never forgive them for killing Kilran off in a mid-level FP

He was awesome, y u do dis Bioware ;_;

Because he was an incompetent feeb.

Edited by Euphrosyne

He only clung to those traditions when it suited him to do so, and was perfectly willing to abandon them if he felt it necessary or desirable.

Perhaps you are right, but regardless, calling for a Kaggath in the middle of the battle for Corellia was a shining example of how inept the man was.

Perhaps you are right, but regardless, calling for a Kaggath in the middle of the battle for Corellia was a shining example of how inept the man was.

Not necessarily. I think it just demonstrates what his priorities were.

To Thanaton, victory over his enemies within the Empire was a much more crucial goal than the defeat of the Republic. Instead of viewing the Kaggath on Corellia as a distraction from fighting the Empire's enemies, he saw the Republic as a valuable distraction to his Imperial enemies. He might point out, quite accurately, that the Forcewalker's existence and her power base were far more of a threat to him, especially in the short term, than the then-reeling Republic.

Furthermore, his attempt to convert it into ritual combat offered the possibility of pinning the Forcewalker down in one place. Since the assassination attempt on Dromund Kaas, she had proven difficult to trap, corner, and kill. The Kaggath ensured that she would remain in one relatively confined space, where Thanaton's superior power could be properly brought to bear.

Of course, as we all know, this plan, while not prima facie idiotic, ended up being implemented rather poorly. Thanaton underestimated the Forcewalker's personal power and mismanaged his military. He had opportunities to kill her and failed to do so. The elements of the plan that could conceivably have worked to his advantage - pinning his enemy down in one place and committing her to combat - in fact tilted in her favor, because they meant that Thanaton could no longer hide behind the might of the full Imperial military and of the Dark Council. It became a test of skill between one Force user who was extremely gifted and one who was even better.

Now, we know that Thanaton's fratricidal campaign contributed to Sith instability and weakened the Imperial military at the crucial point of the war - that it helped cause the Empire's defeat in the Battle of Corellia to be a catastrophe almost unparalleled in the annals of military history. But that's only because he failed. Had Thanaton successfully used the Kaggath to trap and destroy the Forcewalker, his power base would remain intact and he could reasonably have then turned his forces against the Republic. Thanaton did not predicate his plan on the assumption of failure. Few people go into a fight assuming that they will lose.

Besides, what alternatives did he have? Many of them were unpalatable for other reasons. Continuing the civil war against the Forcewalker along the lines that he was already fighting was probably not the best idea, either. As mentioned before, she was infuriatingly difficult to pin down, and her refusal to attack him directly meant that most of the Empire and the Sith were more or less apathetic about aiding him. He could have tried to hold the Kaggath in another location, far from the battle-planes with the Republic, but that would offer correspondingly less opportunity (and, yes, less risk). Assassination plots hadn't worked. A Kaggath offered an opportunity to win at a stroke and end the distraction of the war with the Forcewalker.

Besides, what alternatives did he have? Many of them were unpalatable for other reasons. Continuing the civil war against the Forcewalker along the lines that he was already fighting was probably not the best idea, either. As mentioned before, she was infuriatingly difficult to pin down, and her refusal to attack him directly meant that most of the Empire and the Sith were more or less apathetic about aiding him. He could have tried to hold the Kaggath in another location, far from the battle-planes with the Republic, but that would offer correspondingly less opportunity (and, yes, less risk). Assassination plots hadn't worked. A Kaggath offered an opportunity to win at a stroke and end the distraction of the war with the Forcewalker.
The best option would have been just to challenge Nox to a one on one duel.

But let's be real here. If Thanaton had given up on his blatantly idiotic campaign to destroy Darth Nox merely because his master bent the rules a little, he would never have found himself in such a compromising position. We should not forget that Thanaton's reasons for turning against Nox were idiotic in the first place as well as unjustified, and he effectively orchestrated his own downfall. If he had simply accepted Nox as a Lord and not tried to exact justice (or rather petty revenge) or Zash's all-in-all blameless apprentice, he would never have had this problem in the first place. Maybe one day Nox would have replaced him, but that's how Sith Hierachy works.

Really I never liked Thanaton, and I thought he was somewhat broken as a character. He took tradition too far to be logical. I mean, shutting down the Silencer project because what? "The ability to wipe out an entire fleet in single shot is insignificant next to the power of the Force." I can tell you I was just waiting for Thanaton to open his mouth during our duel and shout "I'm firin ma lazer!" It never happened. Scrapping such an initiative on a whim was plain stupid.

In other news, I too am a little frustrated by how the best of the Empire are taken away from us. But no one yet has mentioned Darth Serevin who really would have done the Empire a massive deal of good if he had not been killed.

Edited by Beniboybling