Crafting waste of time?

Protoaloe

OK I always was crafter but have been away for some time. With Level 70 char and Crafting at 560 say for Cybertech the only receipes available are worthless, i.e. the only ones sold say for Mod are Level 36A.

Strangely higher ones are advertised for sale at the auction house. So what is the secret? to craft these things, are there special teachers somewhere?

Or am I wasting my time trying to level all my crafting to top notch before expansion comes out?

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/community/images/swtor/smilies/mad.png

Crafting goes up to lvl 600 now. That's when you'll be able to craft the best stuff. So if you want to craft, get your skill up to 600 then The vendor will have those high lvl recipes available. The material cost to craft what's essentially lvl 70 gear and augs is high tho. You have to run endgame content like master mode OP's and veteran FP's to get the required materials. If this is your style of gameplay then you'll have no problem. Otherwise.... you can make decent money creating stuff for lower levels, but you have to just pay attention to the GTN and see what actually sells. Edited by ImmortalLowlife

OK I always was crafter but have been away for some time. With Level 70 char and Crafting at 560 say for Cybertech the only receipes available are worthless, i.e. the only ones sold say for Mod are Level 36A.

Strangely higher ones are advertised for sale at the auction house. So what is the secret? to craft these things, are there special teachers somewhere?

Or am I wasting my time trying to level all my crafting to top notch before expansion comes out?

http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/sites/all/files/community/images/swtor/smilies/mad.png

You get better schematics as you increase your command level. Schematics come from Command crates (not cybertech i think), PvP boxes (these are mostly cybertech) and Operations. I think you can also RE some of the command crates loot.

Leveling crafting is NOT a waste even now but you will need to increase it more once 6.0 comes out. But taking to much time to craft tier 4 (246) will be kind of pointless if you are not high command level at this point.

Crafting is good for augments, augment components, dyes, stims, lightsaber color crystals and maybe grenades. Some people like some of the craftable outfit looks. Maybe that changes in 6.0 but I wouldn't use it for anything else at the moment.

Some schematics come as rewards for quests, from Command Crates, from RE'ing lower level units, etc - not just from the trainer. But, check the trainer.

I've never been into crafting to sell on the GTN, but I do make dyes, implants, relics, earpieces, and augments, for my own use. I also sometimes craft some armor pieces if it's something I like the look of. (Plus I craft speeders for my own collection - but I don't use the crafted speeders very often.)

Some schematics come as rewards for quests, from Command Crates, from RE'ing lower level units, etc - not just from the trainer.

IIRC, the weekly loot boxes from warzones will randomly have schematics (which bind to legacy) that are equivalent to the receiving character's current tier.

Crafting is good even if you don't want to sell what you make - you can craft some interesting armor for your characters and companions, make crystals and dyes, augments and kits. You can also make War Supplies and Dark Projects and turn them in for decos.

I make what I need for my characters: full sets of mods for their weapons up through level 65; 236/240 augments, dyes, and so on. I'd say it's probably saved a lot of credits.

If you wanna earn a moderate amount of credits, craft 246 mods.

Augmentation kits are cheap, starting from 20-30k today, tomorrow can be 70k and the day after the price can go to 20k again.

With mods, even if the price goes down by 200k, you're still gonna earn more than 1.5m per one 246 mod.

Ofc you have to either buy the mats or farm them, schematics come from crates, so there will be several different mods to craft.

Use GTN to check the prices of each mod, just to see which one has the highest selling price atm = higher profit for you.

You know, i have ttrouble considering crafting a waste of time on this game cause it's probably the less intrusive crafting system i have played.

You just got a menu with prompts and send your companions to do the job while you continue doing whatever you were doing. It is hardly a waste of time cause it costs so little time.

Compared to other mmo's this is deluxe. Unless you know, it's FF and you have to go balls deep on the mini-game, gear and the whole progression thing. It's like the opposite of SWTOR. There's things to like on both.

Only subscribers should craft (it's a dead end as Preferred / F2P, even with new currency caps)... yes I know we're all subs here.

the other thing is, if you expect decent returns, you need a sizable investment... lvl 50 comps (up to 8 of them), tier 4 command crate schematics, nathema aug schematics, reputation dyes, buying rare mats, and a lot of time spent....

that said you can make a steady income, once you get up to speed, and the returns for time spent are a bit better than running all a planets heroics (which still nets ~1/2mil / planet). highest priority for companion use is Mission skill mats (Rich/Bountiful blue/purples) > Crafting non-gear items (mods, augs, components) > consumables > Gather skill missions (green/white mats) > crafting gear items (left side gear, armor, weapons).