Eyes

Cuiwe

Had to hide one of my characters corruption because the eyes were still just a blotchy orange-yellow mess. I miss the solid red they used to be over this. :(

I'd much rather the eye be put back to their normal colours and the new eyes added as extras, as some of the colours were rather nice - just not as a replacer for the original colours.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to hide one of my characters corruption because the eyes were still just a blotchy orange-yellow mess. I miss the solid red they used to be over this. :(

I'd much rather the eye be put back to their normal colours and the new eyes added as extras, as some of the colours were rather nice - just not as a replacer for the original colours.

Time to move on, I guess.

They've had three attempts to put the eyes the right away, and every single one of them flopped. Is BioWare run by monkeys these days?

eyes ain't fixed, really. Dark Side corruption eyes are still nothing like they were pre 5.6. They don't look like sith eyes. I'd force my characters to have lv 1 dark side corruption to have the cool eye colour but right now the best option is the glowing yellow from which i have changed in 5.6 to an eye colour that got changed yet again xD

Appreciate the effort to fix this in today's patch. Definite fix for some, but still have a couple issues.

My three toons with dark brown eyes still have a lighter color. They're using #6. Looks like #5 is a bit darker and closer to what #6 used to be. So I don't know if this still needs someone to look at it or if I should just change to #5, even though that's not the original color (and number) I picked. All three of my toons with dark brown are human.

My Republic Zabrak (light skin) has had the yellow eyes fixed. So thank you. However, with the new texture, they still look like headlights while looking at the toon from the regular play camera and not the character cosmetic changer terminal.

And also, both my Mirialan toons stiil have messed up eyes. So I guess that species isn't fixed. My one toon that had nice, rich, gold color eyes still looks green now. And my other with the species specific dark red eyes now looks a ruddy brown.

So definitely an improvement, but still needs some tweaks back to the original colors and maybe tone down the bright beams of the Zabrak yellow eyes in the normal game camera. And just a side note, thanks for fixing the Jedi chest pieces. My brown robes are brown again.

Wow terrible effort at fixing this!

The dark brown eyes went from yellow to red! number 6 for humans, not sure what it is for others. Just give up on trying to "fix" it and revert it to what we've had for the past 6 years, was anyone even complaining about eye colour issues before this??

My Dark Side corruption eyes on my beloved Jugger Cyborg are waiting to be fixed for more than 2 weeks (same issue as others: idiotic looking yellow tint on iris). I know they have much in their head now etc but comon. Iam loyal player <and sub> of ToR since launch but only in this game ive got feeling that devs dont care about players only their wallets (BIG SUPRISE THOU). FIX IT MATES (not only eyes but many things that patch bugged out) or you will start loosing clients.

Hey folks,

Thank you for the specifics about the issues with eye colors. The team is looking into them now, I will get more info out as I have it.

-eric

Appreciate y'all looking into it. I found some old screenshots of my characters, and human eyes #6 is definitely too light. Human brown eyes #5 still looks the same as it did before, so #6 is for sure way too light as it should be darker than #5.

Here's more specifics on my toons that have eye issues:

• Human - dark brown eyes #6 - More of a medium/hazel now instead of dark brown.
  • Mirialan - gold eyes #8 - Looks green instead of gold.
  • Mirialan - red eyes #7

Looks ruddy brown instead of red. Think it needs a bit more red and possibly a little brighter.

• Zabrak (Republic light skin) - yellow eyes #1

I think the shade is right, but too bright in cutscenes and normal camera view.

I believe the yellow was more subtle. Currently seems like a solid yellow instead of an iris.

As far as I can tell with the rest of my toons, everything else is fixed or unaffected. Other people will have to put their specifics in here as I don't use dark side corruption effects among other cosmetic choices I didn't pick for my toons.

Edited by Plastic_Fork

Here's more specifics on my toons that have eye issues:

• Human - dark brown eyes #6 - More of a medium/hazel now instead of dark brown.
  • Mirialan - gold eyes #8 - Looks green instead of gold.
  • Mirialan - red eyes #7

Looks ruddy brown instead of red. Think it needs a bit more red and possibly a little brighter.

• Zabrak (Republic light skin) - yellow eyes #1

I think the shade is right, but too bright in cutscenes and normal camera view.

I believe the yellow was more subtle. Currently seems like a solid yellow instead of an iris.

Adding to that list:

Zabrak (Republic side) - "brown" eyes #5 is now a golden hazel color. It used to be dark, muddy brown.

Zabrak (Republic side) - green eyes #3 look yellow in many lights. Before, it was a soft, light green. Now it's just yellow.

Sith Pureblood - "pale" eyes are now a dull, medium/dark gray. Not the piercing light gray they used to be, and hardly "pale."

Sith Pureblood - "pale" eyes are now a dull, medium/dark gray. Not the piercing light gray they used to be, and hardly "pale."

I thought the pale eyes looked a bit different but I had assumed that it was because the sclera were more yellow than the irises.

As for my other complaints:

The Mirialan's purple eyes are now purple again rather than the gray they where in 5.6, which is progress, but they need to be MORE purple. They're still very gray to the point where you can barely tell that they're purple.

The Mirialan blue eyes also need to be more blue.

The vibrant green eyes are not vibrant at all. They need to be.

Sith Pureblood: One of the eyes is now a dim red where it used to be yellow/red. It was the closest one to solid red you could get but still have some yellow in it. Now you have two solid reds, one is simply brighter than the other.

The white/silver eyes... I actually liked that change in 5.6. It was the only change that I liked. I use these eyes for two of my characters and wouldn't mind if you put the 5.6 version back in.

Frankly, I don't mind the new textures, but the colors SHOULD NOT have changed. Any new colors should have been cosmetic packs on the CM like you've been doing.

Edited by Kyram_Galaar

Looking at mine again, I think you're right. I believe they were more pale than they are now, and that "piercing" light gray you described I think is right on the money. I thought they still seemed a bit different than their correct color, but ever since they made that big change to graphics a year or two ago (which actually increased my resource/graphics usage, not reduced), everything seems blurred and discolored to me so I paid it no mind.

So while it's definitely better than the white beams that got switched with them before it was fixed, I still don't think the color is quite the same. I don't want to nitpick, but 1) I paid for them with cartel coins and 2) I really liked the original and I don't think the recent fix has them quite right yet. So hopefully the devs will have another look at it.

Edited by Plastic_Fork

Hey folks,

Thank you for the specifics about the issues with eye colors. The team is looking into them now, I will get more info out as I have it.

-eric

At this point, after so many "fixes" for the screwed up eyes, I'm thinking you need to consider making eye color changes free in the designer for a while. Not the actual purchase of the CM colors, but at least let me switch my eyes to something close to what they used to be, since they've varied from shiny crying eyes to flat cut out paper doll eyes to colors that aren't even close to what they were ....

At this point, after so many "fixes" for the screwed up eyes, I'm thinking you need to consider making eye color changes free in the designer for a while. Not the actual purchase of the CM colors, but at least let me switch my eyes to something close to what they used to be, since they've varied from shiny crying eyes to flat cut out paper doll eyes to colors that aren't even close to what they were ....

I second this.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

There have been quite a few questions about what has been going on with eyes in SWTOR the past few updates. There are actually a few things going on and so here are some insights from our Senior Character Artist.

A while back a change was made to our game engine that affected how reflections work on a global scale. As you’re likely aware, this caused eyes to accept too much reflection, creating a glass look (sparkly eyes). This was not a simple fix for the eyes as it wasn’t actually the art of the eyes themselves causing the issue. To adjust how the reflections looked I had to re-author all of their textures. Since I had to spend time fixing the eyes anyway I saw an opportunity to improve our system to allow for a larger variety of colors moving forward. These changes give us a lot more flexibility in creating more unique looking eyes such as closely achieving eyes with more depth and color variation similar to Vaylin’s or Arcann’s.

We fully understand the attachment to a characters eyes! There is a lot of thought put into our characters and the last thing we would want is for anyone to feel like we have taken something from them.

Now, regarding the dark brown eyes, we matched the colors to what we had as reference for pre-5.6. However, I recognize that some colors appeared darker than they actually were due to the amount of reflection that was in the eyes (the more reflection there is, the darker the colors become as it overwrites color information with environment reflection). We will choose one of the browns to darken to more closely match the dark brown option players had previously. In addition, we are double checking colors to make sure there aren’t any that are too far off from their original hue, if we find any that still need a slight hue tweak I will be making those adjustments. Though at this point they should be subtle, i.e., if something feels slightly too green or is not glowy / bright enough.

I would appreciate feedback on which brown should be darkened to help inform that decision. I would also like to invite your input on what new colors you would like to see in game. We will draw from your suggestions and see what we can do to make more options available.

-eric

If the plan was to improve the look of the eyes, shouldn't they be redesigned and people allowed to pick whichever eye color they like.

It seems the reflection system broke it, when eyes were fixed they were improved and now they are being returned to previous pre-reflection system. If they have been improved why not run with the improvement and allow people a free eye color respec.

Hey folks,

There have been quite a few questions about what has been going on with eyes in SWTOR the past few updates. There are actually a few things going on and so here are some insights from our Senior Character Artist.

[A while back a change was made to our game engine that affected how reflections work on a global scale. As you’re likely aware, this caused eyes to accept too much reflection, creating a glass look (sparkly eyes). This was not a simple fix for the eyes as it wasn’t actually the art of the eyes themselves causing the issue. To adjust how the reflections looked I had to re-author all of their textures. Since I had to spend time fixing the eyes anyway I saw an opportunity to improve our system to allow for a larger variety of colors moving forward. These changes give us a lot more flexibility in creating more unique looking eyes such as closely achieving eyes with more depth and color variation similar to Vaylin’s or Arcann’s.

We fully understand the attachment to a characters eyes! There is a lot of thought put into our characters and the last thing we would want is for anyone to feel like we have taken something from them.

Now, regarding the dark brown eyes, we matched the colors to what we had as reference for pre-5.6. However, I recognize that some colors appeared darker than they actually were due to the amount of reflection that was in the eyes (the more reflection there is, the darker the colors become as it overwrites color information with environment reflection). We will choose one of the browns to darken to more closely match the dark brown option players had previously. In addition, we are double checking colors to make sure there aren’t any that are too far off from their original hue, if we find any that still need a slight hue tweak I will be making those adjustments. Though at this point they should be subtle, i.e., if something feels slightly too green or is not glowy / bright enough.

I would appreciate feedback on which brown should be darkened to help inform that decision. I would also like to invite your input on what new colors you would like to see in game. We will draw from your suggestions and see what we can do to make more options available.]

-eric

I don't know if this is possible, but could you guys look into having mixed eye color combinations? Like one Blue/one Green, One Brown/one Gray, etc.? I think it would be a cool character customization to have in game.

I would appreciate feedback on which brown should be darkened to help inform that decision. I would also like to invite your input on what new colors you would like to see in game. We will draw from your suggestions and see what we can do to make more options available.

Well, since the dark brown eyes we originally selected was #6, I would say might as well keep to that and adjust that particular one. The toons that we chose that number for dark brown already have it, so if nothing else it would avoid having to choose (or pay for) an eye color change.

Definitely appreciate the effort to adjust the colors back to what we've been used to for the last several years (I actually liked the high reflection glossy eyes) so we'll see how the tweaks go from here. I think the red Mirialan eyes, gold Mirialan eyes, Zabrak (Republic) yellow eyes, and Sith Pureblood pale eyes for sure still need to be tweaked.

As for additional colors, maybe some shades that are combinations of others. Like a purple that's a sort of bluish-purple. Or a nice sea green or turquoise. Or even a really nice, deep wine red without all the crazy Sith glow (the red Mirialan eyes were actually pretty similar before the update). Or some nice grays. Just putting some ideas out there.

Thanks again for the update and communication. You guys really don't know just how far that goes with the player base. It does with me, at any rate.

Edited by Plastic_Fork

Re: Brown eyes.

Going through various characters.

It's on human or cyborg characters. I don't have others to try.

Color #5 Is one shade of brown. It looks like it's been fixed, or at least the ones that had it that looked... wrong before the fix now look like they did before this eye change thing started.

Color #6 Looks like an orange-brown color and this is on a human male operative and a cyborg female scoundrel. Their eyes used to be a very deep dark brown and they still look a bit... off.

I'm sure other players can chime in on other color types, but you were asking about the brown eyes.

So with this, can I request 5.6's 'Vibrant Blue eyes'? As I actually preferred them as they looked so close to Arcann and Senya's eye color from the expansions.

Edit: And maybe an update to skin?

Edited by iFenris