Aussie Server Maintenance

Karsaris

Again guys, by simply complaining and doing nothing BW will not change favouring US players. Start to cancel your subs and tell them why you're cancelling, that will force them to change their ways.

It's all about the money after all.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If servers are required to be brought down together, and we can't have EU appropriate down time and Oceanic appropriate downtime, how about the maintenance is rotated; 1 week suits US, 1 week EU and 1 week Oceanic. I understand that the US is 9/10 of the world and is certainly the centre of not only this universe but also one that is far far away.... please acknowledge the other server requirements and share the downtime in an appropriate manner!

Probably be my last post; as I still have 12 days left on my 30 days included on game purchase, and as long as i lose an entire evening each week, i have no desire to continue playing....

But here is something to think about (BioWare):

Another game i played before SW:TOR is a North American company / server farm. And they are doing maitainence tonight, and here is a snippet (without giving away the game) and this is NORMAL of time, and what goes on::

"...along with some hardware upgrades at 8:00am PDT, tomorrow, 3/21/12. The estimated downtime with hardware work is ** 2 hours **...."

8am PDT is 2am AEDT.... so not only can another major MMO company find a time which does NOT impact American's but also does NOT impact other regions like Australia / NZ.

FURTHER... they can do game patches in addtion to HARDWARE upgrades, and in ONLY 2 hours...

*** do you do in 5-8 hours???

Seriously... many thread's, well over 1000 posts between them.. .and yet you do nothing...

whatever...

EDIT: not directly related... but have been looking online for other games to play, not just MMO's, but anything... i found a few which looked interesting, and recent releases (less then 6 months old) - oddly... EVERY game linked to EA had a restriction "Available to America & Canada only" - wow...

Edited by AurakaSith

I would like to register my extreme disatisfaction with the current level of support for our "regional" servers.

In my mind there is no point in having them because our ping was fine to the US servers and our prime time is still interrupted. I will now go and cancel my subscription to emphasize this point.

Im an Aussie and I dont mind the down time. Allows me to play some of my other games that have been neglected as well as catch up on tv shows.

Its not all doom and gloom mate, just need to learn to live with it.

The only time I get to play my other games which have been sitting there too lol

"...along with some hardware upgrades at 8:00am PDT, tomorrow, 3/21/12. The estimated downtime with hardware work is ** 2 hours **...."

8am PDT is 2am AEDT.... so not only can another major MMO company find a time which does NOT impact American's but also does NOT impact other regions like Australia / NZ.

FURTHER... they can do game patches in addtion to HARDWARE upgrades, and in ONLY 2 hours...

*** do you do in 5-8 hours???

5 hours and greater maintenance... seriously Bioware, fire your techies. I manage the back end databases for a global firm (> 100,000 employees). I recently did a massive upgrade to the storage hardware (talking replacing the whole SAN - 100s of terrabytes of storage). How long was my maintenance window? 2 whole hours...

BW has proven that they are very shortsighted in what they do with their oceanic servers. Go out and hire better system / network admins and DBAs. But wait, what good will hiring better people do you BW, if you are so damn arrogant to some of your paying customers?

Thanks to those of you who have cancelled your subscriptions so far.

I've been redirected here from a thread I started regarding the prime-time patch which provides no benefit to paying customers, but does disadvantage us further.

If they are unable to find a suitable time that doesn't screw everyone over, then I support the rolling maintenance windows, ensuring that all regions get equally screwed over, but less often.

Regarding patching:

a simple addition to server status column "incompatible version" AND the choice of when within the upgrade cycle you want to upgrade and its all solved.

Say I play 2 servers one Euro and one US, when the Euro one goes down i can play the US one till euro comes up again and then when that goes down i can restart my client - select "yes I wish to upgrade now" and then i can go back to my Euro server - and voila!! i have had almost uninterrupted play time. simply not necessary to have a global down for a single little patch. no need to have separate clients

people say well well have overloaded servers due to an influx of "downtime tourists" on that night... well that's what server queues are for and they will also be doing the patch at the lowest usage time per region so there wont be that many people swapping over anyway.

Sure definitely have a global time for content releases to give everyone the same chance to be first at something thats fine -but pissing off whole regions due to pig headed and unimaginative thinking is just wrong wrong wrong.

Regarding general maintenance:

No reason whatsoever for not having regional downtimes, regional server groups are housed in separate locations.

The above mentioned possible issue of an influx of extra players overloading servers is a non issue.

There would always be 2 regions up and thus plenty of servers to choose from if you wanted to cultivate a special downtime toon.

My own oceanic server could be done at 8:00AM in Texas so the poor boys in Austin don't have to stay up too late

Your customers who are paying you would be happy

I would be happy.

I cant see why this is not obvious to people...

Edited by Draflorin

YEAH - i like the game i hate the company, starting to trend towards cancelling

even IF they said hey guys were going to do this in the future - i'd pehaps give them some slack but the company line right now is "there are no plans to do this at this time"

my money = my vote

Im so frustrated right now, its been a long week and i want to kick back and relax. why is no one using their brain? this is a issue.

in what business model is it a good idea to constantly frustrate the customer and limit access to the product they are trying to sell. it makes zero sense, and if i didnt have a crap ton of game time that i want my moneys worth out of. id be buying something else.

Edited by falcon_Xtreme

It's Friday evening and some of us have come back from work and a long week, and we just want to kick back for a few hours before we go out again / have dinner / etc.

Only the idiots who run this company have decided to take the servers down again, from 6 PM AEDT. Seriously guys, if you didn't want to cancel your subs before you should definitely give it some serious consideration now!

Wow, they go and take the servers down again at 6PM AEDT until 10PM AEDT. That's 2 days of prime time playing ruined this week.

In a week when we switch off DST that will become maintenance from 5 PM AEST... wow

yeah and the maintenance on Tuesday was at 5pm AEDT too, they got that wrong.

Keep the cause alive man.

If I was cynical I might feel that they are trying to spite us....

Edited by FenLore

I understand that we get short strawed with the time because they roll out their updates across all servers globally. I just don't like two updates in one week. I intentionally set some time aside today before I have to go out tonight, and I've lost the opportunity.

I dont mind updates weekly, but if it becomes Tuesday prime and Friday prime what do they expect us to do?

You would be incorrect.. To do maintenance on all the servers, they have to all be brought down..

Welcome to a world wide service in a connected society.. Nothing wierd about it..

I fail to see why these threads have to be created every Monday night.. Nobody likes maintenance.. But we all have to deal with it.. ;)

they dont have to, they chose to.

Blizzard has seperate times, they dont make any problems with it, your argument, as american schooling system, is invalid.

I bought the game 4 days ago, I am very surprised over the down time .. are getting credited back the lost time ?:(:(:(:(

No the down time isn't getting credited back. Sorry for your disappointment mate, I strongly feel it's the worst $79.95 I've spent in a long time.

Blizzard has separate maintenance time for aussie servers? Are you sure?

Irrespective of separate maintenance times, Blizzard takes Wow down anywhere from 10 pm - 12 am on Tuesday (depending on AEST). This is not an issue because at least most players get to go to bed early 1 night. And it's enough time to do the dailies and whatever you need to do after coming home from work.

Well I was slightly annoyed having to put up with maintenance during my play times on Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings but I got over it. But now? Now it's Friday and they're down again.

Yeah yeah, go out and do something.. it's 9pm, it's a bit late for making any plans.

Who cares that we (AUS/NZ) had to pay more FOR the game, let's piss them off and waste their subscription time too.

I sure do hope the pirates have thoroughly enjoyed their free ME3, it'll be good to know some people aren't wasting their money on this company.

Well I was slightly annoyed having to put up with maintenance during my play times on Tuesday nights/Wednesday mornings but I got over it. But now? Now it's Friday and they're down again.

Yeah yeah, go out and do something.. it's 9pm, it's a bit late for making any plans.

Who cares that we (AUS/NZ) had to pay more FOR the game, let's piss them off and waste their subscription time too.

I sure do hope the pirates have thoroughly enjoyed their free ME3, it'll be good to know some people aren't wasting their money on this company.

and we waited because they apparently wanted to give us the best experience possible....

and we waited because they apparently wanted to give us the best experience possible....

And the best experience possible doesn't include cutting into our prime playing time. If it does, things are seriously screwed up.

Edited by Micksteroo