From Brute to Silly: the Life of Ald

irishfino

“At least I realize how pathetic I am. At least I’m not trying to justify letting a person rejoin my crew after doing what I did to them. At least I didn’t destroy a friendship and break someone’s heart to let in a person who –”

Death wish much, Quinn? Insult the person who holds your life in their hands and has really good reasons to kill you much? Eesh is he lucky Ald's unpredictable with his reactions.

Edited by iamthehoyden

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why, but every time you mention Quinn's son (who I know nothing about) I get really sad :(

Poor Quinn

It's a pretty sad situation, at least for Quinn. I hope to get to it sooner than a bioware bug fix. :D

Death wish much, Quinn? Insult the person who holds your life in their hands and has really good reasons to kill you much? Eesh is he lucky Ald's unpredictable with his reactions.

Quinn's really not in the right frame of mind right now. He will feel guilt over the Transponder Station and its aftereffects for years to come. Whether or not he's trying to provoke serious discussion or provoke Ald into ending his miserable life, one never knoooooows. OooOOOOoooOOOOoo mysterious. lol.

Thanks for reading everybody!

Cross-post!

Raining Rage

Vette was understandably pissed when Quinn showed his face four months after leaving. She was even more so pissed when she found out Jaesa was the one who blabbed Ald’s location. Who the hell did she think she was? She had no right to interfere, no matter how apologetic that stupid son of a b*tch made himself out to be. He wasn’t a victim, he was the perpetrator and a failure at that.

Vette raged for days after Quinn’s return to the ship. It was sudden and disruptive. They had a routine down and now he was back to muck it up and boss everyone around like he owned the place. She’d just as soon stick a knife in him, but, for Ald, she refrained. It was the only thing that saved him those first few tense weeks. She wanted him off the ship and out of their lives. Things were fine now. Things were better than fine and he had no spot in any of this. But Ald. Damn him. For all his silliness, his mercy, his kind nature, he was stupid. He was stupid as hell and he was ruining things. It would never end. Quinn would just do this again, she knew he would. There wasn’t a consequence for his actions. Ald forgave him, patted him on the butt when he left and told him to come back when he was ready, and was more than happy to take him back without so much as a raised voice, an arched brow, anything! It frustrated her beyond measure.

When she encountered that son of a b*tch alone in the med bay one morning, it took all she had to keep from blasting him to the void and back. He was taking inventory for the fifth damn time this week. How much did one ship need? If she thought about it, they needed a lot. Between Pierce’s bombs and Broonmark’s need to stab things – that didn’t matter right now. What mattered was that she was angry and damn him if he got upset that she was interrupting his inventory. She knocked on the doorframe harder than necessary and was mildly surprised when Quinn turned around without grumbling. He was expecting her. Bastard.

“I’m not talking to Ald until you leave,” Vette said firmly.

“That is between the two of you. Do not involve me in this squabble,” Quinn said stiffly. He slipped his datapad into his pocket, leaned against the counter, and crossed his arms.

“You are involved!” she spat angrily. “You’re right in the kriffin’ middle of it!”

“Lord Aldrdinar has clearly drawn the line between us,” he said grimly. “There is nothing there. Continue as you have been.”

“That’s funny, because as soon as you boarded the ship, Ald sat me down. We had a nice long talk about our future together and – get this – there isn’t one!”

“This doesn’t involve me in the slightest, Vette.”

“It does so stop denying it! You ran once, you should run again. Things will go back to normal without you here. Until then, I’m not talking to Ald.”

“I’m not sure why you’re telling me this,” Quinn said stiffly.

“Because you care about him even if you are a twit and me not talking to him is going to bother him and, in turn, bother you. Two birds, one stone,” Vette spat viciously.

Quinn had to admit that a vindictive Vette was an interesting and cunning Vette, but going through Ald to get to him seemed needless and messy. On the other hand, attacking him through Ald wouldn’t be interpreted as a direct attack and was, therefore, unpunishable. He felt the need to applaud her and he did so, slowly.

“A most wonderful plan,” he said blandly. “I’m surprised you thought of it.”

“F**k you, Quinn.”

“Oh, I do believe I already am in such a state, but thank you for the well-wishing. Now, if you are done being a brat, I have things to do.”

He didn’t wait for her to respond, he simply straightened his stance and turned around. She was dismissed and she knew it, but he didn’t have the right to dismiss her. She left before her trigger finger got too itchy. It didn’t matter, she had drawn the battle lines, even informed him of it. It would eat at him and, eventually and for Ald’s sake, he would leave and things would go back to how they were when the bastard left the first time.

Edited by irishfino

Horrible Timing

“I don’t belong here, my Lord,” Quinn said stiffly.

“You belonged before, nothing has changed,” Ald said evenly.

Everything has changed, my Lord, and pretending otherwise does nothing to resolve matters.”

Ald sighed. “Do we really have to have this conversation right now?”

“It’s the only time I seem to have your undivided attention.”

“It’s pretty divided right now.”

“Perhaps, but you’re focusing at least.”

“This really is not the best time for this.”

“As I said, it’s the only time you’re fully listening to the sound of my voice.”

“But – ah – I can’t think like this.”

“Then listen.” Quinn waited for Ald to raise a protest before continuing. “I don’t know what you said to Vette, if anything, or if she finally realized that ignoring you to get at me was having a terrible effect on you and visibly having no effect on me. Whatever the cause, there is still the underlying issue of her hating me. Saving her from an explosive can only go so far.”

“I haven’t said anything to her. I figured she would – mmf – come around in time.”

“Not a safe bet to make, all things considered.”

“Can we not talk about this right now? I swear we can talk about this after.”

“Will you listen?”

“Stars yes.”

“Very well.”

“Did you really have to ask in such a manner?” Ald grumped quietly as he fluffed his pillow and watched Quinn dress.

“Given your predilection for ignoring the issue at hand, yes, yes I did,” Quinn replied quietly.

“I wish you would stay.”

“We shouldn’t have even – you’re changing the subject.”

“Yes.”

“You said we would talk about this.”

“I don’t want to anymore,” Ald said lightly.

Quinn sighed and ran a hand down his face. “Fine. Keep avoiding the issue. It will keep biting you on the arse until you deal with it, Ald. And I daresay I won’t. Not until we’ve talked about this.”

“Are you putting an embargo on –”

“Yes,” Quinn said sternly. “Should have in the first place. I’ll be in my quarters if you wish to talk about the ongoing situation regarding your relationship with Vette and the consequences of my return.”

Quinn stood at attention and turned to leave.

“Wait,” Ald said quickly. Quinn stopped. “Come sit down and we’ll talk.”

Quinn turned to one side. “Changed your mind again?”

“Don’t take that tone with me; I’m not in the mood.”

“I’d argue you should be, but I can tell when something is bothering you,” Quinn said with a hint of amusement in his tone. He slipped off his boots then sat on the bed, his back to the headboard and his legs stretched in front of him and crossed at the ankles. “As I was saying, Vette talked to me over dinner two weeks ago which is rather unusual as of late. The only logical conclusion I could draw was that she was talking to you again and had finally given up on her plot to upset the balance and drive me off.”

“She and I haven’t talked, actually,” Ald said quietly. “Was she really trying to drive you off?”

“Her plan was to stop talking to you. This would bother you greatly which would cause me distress. I would then leave, this time permanently, in the hopes of you returning to some blissful state that included Vette,” Quinn explained quietly.

“I see. Perhaps I should speak with her.”

“I should think so, my Lord.”

“If I promise to speak with her tomorrow, will you stay?” Ald asked softly.

“No, my Lord,” Quinn said stiffly. He shook his head slowly. “Until this matter is at least being discussed and the wounds scabbing over, I don’t think we should continue down this path.”

“If that is your wish, I won’t force you to.”

“I should hope not, my Lord. It would make matters worse.”

“That it would.” Ald leaned over and pecked Quinn on the cheek. “Good night, Captain.”

A blush spread across Quinn's cheekbones. “Good night, my Lord,” he murmured.

Quickly and quietly, Quinn gathered his boots and left the room. He went straight to his quarters, changed for bed, and tried to sleep.

Tried.

Edited by irishfino

Telling Vette the First Time

“Vette, I don’t want to leave it like this,” Ald pleaded.

“We don’t always get what we want, Ald,” Vette replied. He could hear the tears in her voice and it stabbed at his chest. “Mark my words, this will come back to bite you. And next time, you might not survive him.”

With that said she left him. She left him there, alone, standing in the middle of his room like a lump. Defeated. Tired. Lonely. It was the jungle all over again and it hurt. She left him because he let Quinn come back. Maybe he wasn’t thinking logically, but Quinn was decent people when he wasn’t trying to murder you with giant robots. He was good at his job when his focus was his job and with Baras out of the picture…

He walked over to his bed and sat down hard. Vette would never trust him again and the crew... He sighed and buried his face in his hands. The crew remained loyal, but he could hear the whispered questions regarding his sanity and his priorities. A people in doubt were a people in need of leadership. How could he lead if they didn’t trust his decisions? Would they question him at every turn now? Love was fickle and rarely made sense. He snorted derisively. Love. Quinn had never admitted to having such feelings. He would go so far as to admit “remarkable fondness” but “I love you” was not in his vocabulary. It was quite obvious the man was far more than just fond of Ald, but, dammit, the words meant more when vocalized rather than shown through actions. Void, Ald could have been seeing things. Imagining the looks, the gestures, everything. Damn it all.

He wished, in this low moment, he had let his hair grow out. Then he would have hair to pull out when he screamed in frustration.

Edited by irishfino

SUPER MEGA IMPORTANT UPDATE:

I decided to do a color system, similar to one used by the magnificent bright_ephemera in Ruth Means Compassion. Anything this color is in Ald's past. Anything this color is from Ald's apprenticeship with Baras to the Transponder Station. Anything this color is Post-Transponder Station. Anything too hard to read, please let me know. I'll start spoilering things to give them a better background.

The difference between Sea Green and Green Green is very subtle. Again, please inform me of difficulties reading anything.

EDIT:

Yeah, I changed it back. Didn't like it anymore.

<.<

>.>

^.^

Edited by irishfino

Failure - Vette

Her biggest failure was Ald. She couldn’t convince him Quinn was no good. She couldn’t convince him not to let Quinn back on the ship after what he did. She couldn’t convince Ald not to let her go. He cut her loose the second that man stepped on the ship. The very second. She shook her head and pounded another shot.

Ald was her biggest failure and damned if she couldn’t leave him.

Failure – Quinn

Pride cometh before the fall and, when he fell, his pride was nothing, but shattered glass. It stabbed and gouged and tore all it touched. He was left gasping for breath at the bottom of a pit of despair. If he hadn’t owed so much of his career to Baras, if he hadn’t let his pride get in the way, if he had been less… him… would anything have changed? What was perfection or pride in the face of such blatant betrayal to the Empire? Betrayal of everything he stood for! He should have died. He should be tried for treason. But Ald, dear, sweet, merciful Ald had forgiven him, given him time to come to terms with things, welcomed him back with open arms. After all he had done, after attempting and failing to kill, after putting his emotions aside, after everything he was still wanted, needed.

He should have chosen Ald. He should have chosen the overwhelming chance of dying by Ald’s side rather than Baras. If only he could forgive himself as easily as Ald had forgiven him. If only he had chosen Ald.

It was his greatest failure.

Failure – Ald

He had known since the moment Quinn kneeled before him that the man was a plant. A spy. A liaison, if one stretched a bit. Vette warned him on many occasions that Quinn was bad news. He knew. What he didn’t know what just how bad that news would be. He didn’t expect to fall for the man, though he really should have. The only reason he was even on the ship was because Ald found him tastefully attractive and interesting. And it was his undoing.

Ald was a mission to Quinn. Nothing more, it seemed. It was the likely reason behind his reluctance to say “I love you” in any capacity. Admitting a “remarkable fondness” meant little to Ald. One was fond of a pet or a story, not a person they were intimate with. He tried to remind himself, as time went on, that Quinn’s purpose here was for spying and nothing more, but the more he got to know the man the more he was convinced he was an actual person and not a tool. He wanted to believe there was something more to the officer. He wanted to believe there was more to their relationship.

He wanted to believe and it was his greatest failure.

Notes:

A cross-post. A look into the past from the immediate after effects of Quinn's return to the ship.

Edited by irishfino

Bad Romance

“What are you reading, my Lord?” Quinn asked as he peered over Ald’s shoulder.

Ald hopped in his seat and spun around. He hadn’t heard the man come up. He hadn’t even sensed him! He was good. Sneaky bugger.

Ald flipped his datapad down into his lap and tried to smile. Quinn stared at him with a blank face and piercing eyes.

“Just a story,” Ald said with a weak smile.

“Fiction, non-fiction, strategy?” Quinn queried. His eyes glowed brighter as he stared down at Ald.

“Uh… fiction.”

“What genre?”

“I don’t think that matters,” Ald laughed.

Quinn moved from behind Ald and stood in front of him. With a quick arm swipe, he grabbed Ald’s datapad and stepped back. Ald looked down at his now empty hand, up at Quinn, back down at his hand, then back up to Quinn. Horror spread across his face. He could tell Quinn was judging him. His face flushed with embarrassment when Quinn’s eyes rose from the datapad to his. Oh, stars, he was going to hear it now. It was innocent, really, it really was. Just a romance. Sort of.

“This series is terrible, my Lord,” Quinn murmured. He walked to Ald and handed him his datapad. “I can recommend something similar and far, far better than this drivel.”

“You read this sort of thing?” Ald asked, arching a quizzical brow ridge.

“Out of curiosity.”

Ald chuckled and Quinn frowned. “Alright, what do you recommend?”

“I’ll send you a copy of my most glorious find in that genre. You’ll be pleased. I guarantee it.”

“Can’t wait.”

Notes:

This spawned from a discussion of just how terrible a certain vampire "romance" is.

Edited by irishfino

• 2 weeks later...
Now I'm curious, what series is your most glorious find in that genre?

You shall see!

Do tell. Or at least tell us Quinn's most glorious find and how Ald reacts to it :D

It's coming!

Are Ald and Quinn too busy reading to engage in any hi-jinks for us to enjoy?

They do naughty things in my head when I try to get them to focus enough to be in a scene. These two, I swear. :rolleyes:

Thanks for reading!

Not This Again...

“That book was terrible, Malavai,” Ald huffed as he threw down his datapad.

“Captain,” Quinn corrected quietly. “And I thought you would like it. It was in the same vein as that other tripe you were reading.”

“It wasn’t tripe!”

“Yes, yes it was.”

Fifty Shades of Imperial Grey is tripe, Voss Dusk was not!” Ald huffed defensively.

“You have terrible taste in books, I’m not sure why you’re complaining,” Quinn said stiffly.

“You promised me a better book.”

Quinn sighed and pulled out his datapad. “Tell me what you like in great detail.”

Ald positively beamed at the Captain.

Notes:

Managed 100 words exactly and wasn't even trying for a drabble. Never done that before!!

Edited by irishfino

I can see Ald prattling on about his favourites. Quinn, on the other hand, I would imagine, keeps detailed pie charts.

Ald will read nearly everything he can get his hands on. He loves reading. Quinn would definitely have a slew of graphs and charts and graphs that pointed to charts and charts that displayed level of joy certain genres bring. All I have to say is "Neerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd!!" when I think of these things, lol.

Thanks for reading!

Shut Up and Enjoy

It wasn’t hard for the Wrath to make an appointment to meet potential apprentices at the Academy. It was hard to get around the harridan known as Juliena, Julien’s mother, but nothing Ald couldn’t or wouldn’t handle. That woman was bitter down to the last glare she tossed at Quinn as she left them. She was a teacher here by all appearances. Of course, she told him as much, eager as she was to flirt with the Wrath and hoist her position to a higher station. And she seemed vaguely familiar. Something about her eyes. Green and sharp. He'd think on it later. For now, he would watch Quinn as he interacted with his son. Ald moved to a wall on the other side of the room. He was far enough to be out of earshot, but close enough to leap into combat should something happen. He was sure nothing would, but he was always on alert.

By the time the boy had to run off for training, Quinn was very happy indeed. He didn’t say anything to Ald, but that shine in his eyes was enough. They were quiet as they walked back to the shuttle off planet. Quinn followed at his usual half-pace behind. They boarded the shuttle, quickly passed through the space station, and boarded the Fury. Ald followed Quinn to the bridge and strapped in as he waited for take-off. He watched Quinn’s fingers as they flew across the consoles.

Ald wondered what Quinn was thinking in this moment. He was probably a mix of happy and sad. Happy he got to see his son after so long, but sad to leave him once again to go who knows where doing who knows what with death a constant threat looming overhead. A small part of him felt bad for dragging Quinn all over the Galaxy, but the man was more than happy to be by his side. He wanted to be useful in the war and useful to Ald. He wanted to make amends. But if he ever asked to leave Ald’s service, he would be granted it without hesitation. That was a lie. He would hesitate. For longer than a few moments. Perhaps he would stall or try to talk him out of it. He knew he would. He lost himself to his thoughts.

It had been a few hours since their trip to Korriban. Enough time for Quinn to resist the urge to pull Ald into a hug and thank him until his throat went dry. Even then, he was sure he would continue thanking Ald. It had been far too long since his last face to face meeting with his son. It didn’t help that his ex-wife was constantly blocking all avenues for him to maintain contact. It didn’t take much, really, for a Sith to ensure a Force blind had no access to a Force sensitive child. Her first move was to put the boy on Korriban as soon as possible. He wouldn’t be able to access Korriban without permission and permission was hard to come by. She became an instructor there as soon as it was clear he wouldn’t stop sending his son messages and gifts. But he persisted with messages. He would encrypt them beyond recognition and hope the boy would be able to decrypt them before his mother found them or they deleted themselves. Julien was mostly successful at decryption without being detected by his mother. Now, however, he had a Wrath on his side. Even Juliena couldn’t stop a Wrath.

He shook his head absently. He was still a bit miffed over her changing their child’s name is something so close to hers. It disgusted him on some level. She was arrogant and prideful, but forcing a child to change their name because of her vendetta was cruel and unusual. His name was Mica. That was the name they agreed upon after months and months of searching through databases for acceptable names. Quinn was quite happy that Julien never seemed to mind when he was called Mica. In fact, he was very adamant his father call him by the name he had selected. Quinn was forever grateful for this. He had recovered a little of what Juliena had taken from him, but even this little was a lot.

He shook his head and focused on his work, whatever his work was today, and lost himself to menial tasks.

When Quinn crossed paths with Ald later in the day he could contain himself no longer. He pulled the Sith into a hug and thanked him repeatedly. He thanked him until he felt silly then thanked him some more.

Ald nuzzled his face into Quinn’s neck and inhaled deeply. “I love you, Malavai,” Ald murmured into Quinn’s tunic.

“You shouldn’t,” Quinn replied quietly.

“I know.”

“I can’t say it back.”

“I know.”

“Ald…”

“Be quiet and let me enjoy this while it lasts.”

“Yes, my Lord,” Quinn said quietly.

Notes:

Reuploaded with a few changes. Nothing too major, just added some coherence and paragraph structure.

Edited by irishfino

Not This Again...

“That book was terrible, Malavai,” Ald huffed as he threw down his datapad.

“Captain,” Quinn corrected quietly. “And I thought you would like it. It was in the same vein as that other tripe you were reading.”

“It wasn’t tripe!”

“Yes, yes it was.”

Fifty Shades of Imperial Grey is tripe, Voss Dusk was not!” Ald huffed defensively.

“You have terrible taste in books, I’m not sure why you’re complaining,” Quinn said stiffly.

“You promised me a better book.”

Quinn sighed and pulled out his datapad. “Tell me what you like in great detail.”

Ald positively beamed at the Captain.

Notes:

Managed 100 words exactly and wasn't even trying for a drabble. Never done that before!!

:D I work as a bookseller. This made my day! (And Korriban for a double win today!)

:D I work as a bookseller. This made my day! (And Korriban for a double win today!)

I was a bookseller during the wizard craze and the beginning of the emo sparkly vampire craze. It gave me a sad.

Quinn doesn't... Quinn can't... :(

Quinn will slightly clarify his position in this next bit. :D

Thanks for reading everyone!!

Waiting

Malavai wasn’t a very intimate man in public. He stayed a respectable distance way, kept his smoldering to himself, and was otherwise a perfect gentleman. This, of course, caused him great difficulties when Ald decided to press him into a dark corner of the Dreadnaught they were touring. He didn’t mind the attention so much as the place. It wasn’t proper.

“I love you, Malavai,” Ald murmured quietly.

Malavai opened his mouth to respond, but found himself breathless as Ald kissed a line across his jaw and down his neck until he was blocked by the collar of his uniform. When he finally gathered his wits about him, Ald had opened his tunic with insistent hands that roamed quite improperly.

“My Lord, if we are spotted,” Malavai said quietly.

“Whoever it is will be utterly shocked, mouth agape and sputtering and then they will leave me to my business,” Ald said as he raised his head. He looked Malavai in the eye and smirked. “I am the Wrath. I am above reproach from the likes of these officers and Sith.”

Malavai licked his lips. “Be that as it may, my Lord, this isn’t proper behavior becoming of a Sith Lord or his officer.”

Ald shook his head then dipped his mouth back to Malavai’s neck. He bit off a terse “My Lord” by sheer force of will as Ald went back to work.

“My Lord,” Malavai said stiffly. He couldn’t help himself, he had to stop this. “You are causing me great difficulty.”

Ald pulled back again, this time taking a step away. “If you want me to stop, just say so,” Ald said evenly.

Malavai straightened his back as he rearranged his clothing to a presentable level. “That is part of the difficulty, my Lord,” he replied stiffly. “While I quite enjoy the physical attention, you are in love with me.”

“I am.”

Malavai shook his head absently. “I can’t.”

“You do.”

“My Lord-”

“I know.” Ald smiled and took a step forward. He purposely undid everything Malavai fixed and grinned. “I’ll keep doing this until you feel comfortable enough to tell me.”

“I won’t,” Malavai insisted.

“You will,” Ald said quietly. He pressed his mouth to Malavai’s ear and spoke softly. “The very moment you do, I will be there listening. Accepting. Loving. I am a very patient man, Malavai.”

“I can’t.”

“You do and I know. Someday, you’ll say it back.”

Malavai swallowed and nodded. “Yes, my Lord.”

“That wasn’t an order, Captain.”

“I know.”

Edited by irishfino

Time to Rage

“My Lord, the time has long since passed for us to discuss this,” Quinn said stiffly.

Ald was barely aware of his presence in the conference room. Barely listening. He didn’t want to listen, he didn’t want to talk. Not about this. Never about this. Quinn’s reasons, his excuses, his damnable pride, his son, whatever bullsh*t he pulled out of his arse to justify trying to kill him. And Vette. F**king Vette. She could fool the Force-blinds into thinking she wasn’t angry, that all was well, that all was normal. Not Ald, not Jaesa. Even Broonmark could sense her bloodlust.

“I have already forgiven you, Captain,” Ald said quietly. He was lying. Why was he lying? Quinn’s nose wrinkled slightly. He knew. Ald knew he knew. Thought he knew he knew what he knew.

“My Lord, you said that immediately after defeating the war droids and myself,” Quinn argued. “I find it hard to believe that you meant those words.”

“And why is that?” He kept his tone as even as possible, but that slight widening in Quinn’s eyes was fear. He would tread lightly or, hopefully, not tread at all. But the man was stubborn and they both knew he would push forward. Ald had encouraged him to question his superiors what seemed like ages ago. Now it was coming back to bite him. It always came back to bite him. He always came back to bite him.

“You were in shock. Someone you cared for sided with your Master and attempted to kill you all in the span of a few minutes,” Quinn explained. “You had more pressing matters to deal with at the time.”

“I was surprised, yes, but, as I said, I forgave you your misstep,” said Ald. Don’t push it, Malavai. For your sake let it go. Please.

“It wasn’t a misstep, my Lord. This was a calculated cost-benefit analysis. My choice was simple.” Quinn shifted his eyes to the holotransmitter on the table. “Sacrifice what we had in exchange for access to my son.”

“Don’t forget your pride,” Ald drawled.

“It was a factor, yes.”

“Did your pride force you to leave me at a time when I could have used the support?” No, don’t talk about this.

Quinn blinked hard and refocused his attention on Ald. Ald schooled his features. He would give the man nothing.

“Shame, my Lord,” Quinn said quietly. “It was shame that drove me to leave.”

“Four months.”

“Yes, Jaesa was the one who convinced me to return. She gave me access to Korriban. Lord Rathari recognized me from the events on Nar Shaddaa, otherwise I would not have had access to the Council chambers.”

“I tried to contact you and Jaesa is the one who convinced you to come back?” There it was. The rage he felt boiling underneath the surface. The hurt. It was raw and as fresh as the day Quinn turned his blaster on his former Master. But he was never really Quinn’s master was he? No, Baras was his true master. He thought Quinn was smarter than that, but, oh, was he more than happy to prove just how smart he was. He saw red.

Ald was vaguely aware of panicked choking and gasping and could not find it within himself to care. He should have done this on the Transponder Station. He should have grabbed Quinn’s pale neck and wrung it until the man was blue in the face. He should have lifted him into the air and slammed him into the bulkhead a few times. He should have. He should have. He was. Oh, stars, he was! He snapped himself from whatever rage trance he was in when he heard the thump of a body hitting the floor. He searched the room and found Quinn lying on his stomach near the chair he had recently occupied. He held his breath for a moment then relaxed slightly when Quinn’s prone form jerked to life coughing and gasping for breath.

Ald watched silently as the officer gathered his wits about him. From the floor, to his knees, and back into the chair, Quinn was in full officer mode. If not for the obvious mussing of his clothes, the red marks slowly spreading around his neck, the disheveled hair, and the look of a man who had just been choked by a rather angry Sith Lord, he would not have looked out of place or uncomfortable in the slightest. Ald idly wondered how many times the man had been choked and slammed into a wall during a meeting with a Sith. Or was he always this stiff and proper? He was. Ald knew that. That’s what had saved his life during his initial recruitment, if it could even be called that.

“My Lord,” Quinn rasped quietly. He tugged at his collar as if that would help the choking feeling. “I apologize. I…” Quinn trailed off and focused on the conference table.

Ald watched him quietly. He watched as Quinn found and traced the small groves forever scarred into the table. There was a smile, a small one, a mere flicker of his lips upward, but it was a smile. When Quinn’s eyes finally found their way back to his that small smile evolved into something much bigger. Something with more meaning behind it.

“I should have talked to you, Ald. I should have told you. I should have sided with you,” Quinn said softly. “I should have done a lot of things differently, but I can’t change what has already happened. I can only ask to move forward from here. It’s the reason why I insist we talk about what happened. It will always be looming overhead if we don’t deal with this, my Lord.”

“I very nearly killed you just now,” Ald said stiffly.

“And, once again, you have spared my life.”

“That’s not – Malavai, that isn’t normal in a relationship!”

Quinn tilted his head to the side. Ald sighed. He was an officer and subject to the Sith. The way he reacted as if nothing happened when Ald lost control, the way he kept himself pieced together even now. Cold. Efficient. Imperial.

“Malavai,” Ald said gently. He waited for the reminder of Quinn’s station, but it never came. “Where do we start?”

“The beginning,” Quinn replied. He rubbed he throat again and winced. “Perhaps after I have had a lozenge.”

“We don’t have to start right away.”

“We’ve let the matter sit on the table long enough. It is time, Ald.”

Quinn used his name. He actually used his name. He didn’t correct him when he called him Malavai. He was trying in his own weird way. He was trying. A fluttering sensation settled in Ald’s stomach. Fear. Desire. Joy. All roiling and jumping and flying and settling and upsetting. He smiled and Quinn smiled back.

Quinn was right. Things would heal in time. He hoped they had the time. Unease settled in his stomach at the thought, but was quickly banished when Quinn moved across the room and placed a hand on his shoulder.

“We’ll get through this, Ald,” Quinn said quietly. “Together.”

“I love you, Malavai.”

Quinn smiled and said, “I know.”

Ald’s face lit up. That was a declaration of love if he had ever heard one. With an impossibly wide grin, he followed Quinn to the medbay and hoped beyond hope this time would pass quickly and with little fuss over the details. That strange feeling settled in his stomach again. A warning, perhaps, that things would not be easy. Something darker rumbled in the back of his mind. Someone was going to die.

Edited by irishfino