Looking for best 1v1 PvP Jugg/Guardian

Jherad

Hi all!

Was hoping someone here might be able to help settle a little argument I've been having someone about Commandos and Juggernauts. Said person plays a commando on this server (Duck'Bumps), and believes juggernauts are easy kills - I'm of the opinion that is (to put it mildly) ludicrous, so want to resolve this with a FRAPs'd fight or three.

We're talking about class mechanics, so I'm of the mind that if Juggs are easy prey, it won't matter how good they are. Would one of the best rated guilds have a jugg prepared to put this to rest please? Great if you have your own FRAPS, if not I'd be happy to grind a character up, get him to a neutral area and FRAPS the fight myself.

Thanks in advance!

(If you're interested, discussion is here: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=541411&page=31 )

Edited by Jherad

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds fun. I'm by no means the best Guardian, and I don't really ever duel, but I'd be willing to give it a go if we're ever available at the right time, for the hell of it, if no one else steps up. Alternatively, I have a Commando that I can try the other side of the fight with.

Edit: I don't have FRAPS and doubt my computer can run it while playing, so you'd have to do that.

Edited by rob_y

Usually it depends on what class / spec both players are, I can kill most rage Juggs kinda easier 1v1 as hybrid tank, but Pyro PTs burn me down kinda quick. But I'd say that almost any Jugg can easily kill a Commando except it's a healer, that may take a bit longer. ^^

Usually it depends on what class / spec both players are, I can kill most rage Juggs kinda easier 1v1 as hybrid tank, but Pyro PTs burn me down kinda quick. But I'd say that almost any Jugg can easily kill a Commando except it's a healer, that may take a bit longer. ^^

I believe he said he's an assault commando, so he'll have some heals, but not all of them (and good luck landing a heal as assault spec while a Guardian/Jug is in melee range - you'd have to create some serious distance or squeeze in some heals during a stun/mez).

I believe he said he's an assault commando, so he'll have some heals, but not all of them (and good luck landing a heal as assault spec while a Guardian/Jug is in melee range - you'd have to create some serious distance or squeeze in some heals during a stun/mez).

We get 1 insta-heal as a commando. I just need to survive the first 5 globals. The way is usually goes down is: Leap > Push > Leap > Choke. The 5th global depends on the spec. If they are a tank I think they use master strike, if they are dps then they use their smash. I've been 5 shot before a few times. The first 4 abilities can hit hard but I am sure it's not consistent. If they are not specced into the immunity after leap, if you're faster than them, simply KB and it throws off their whole rotation. They will need to get back with range to get that second leap off. RNG also plays a part in this cause I've been in situations where the snare from plasma cell never procced or it just took too long to proc. If they are specced into the immunity for kb/stun, then you have to immediately pop your shield, and time those 4 secs after a leap perfectly, cast the insta-heal, and then get your 2 dots up and find some LOS before the first leap ready again. That gives you about 6 secs to do all that. While he is trying to get within site to leap, you are simply healing yourself and getting ready to do it all over again. It takes a lot more to down a jugg with the immunity and there is always the chance of getting 5 shot right off the bat. It's definitely not consistent, but it's enough for me to be very confident in me winning that fight.

Yeah, really don't want this thread to turn into a theorycraft 'can he - can't he' back-and-forth. Plenty of that in the original discussion.

I'd like to know if there is a PvP Juggernaut or Guardian on this server, from a high rated team (or is considered by their peers to be one of the best) who can beat an assault commando.

Or can we declare Duck'Bumps as better than them all? ;)

Yeah, really don't want this thread to turn into a theorycraft 'can he - can't he' back-and-forth. Plenty of that in the original discussion.

I'd like to know if there is a PvP Juggernaut or Guardian on this server, from a high rated team (or is considered by their peers to be one of the best) who can beat an assault commando.

I already volunteered.

I already volunteered.

Thanks man, but the 'I'm by no means the best Guardian, and I don't really ever duel' bit kinda put me off a little. I'm sure if Duck'Bumps beats you soundly, he doesn't want to hear any kind of 'your opponent wasn't top notch' kind of excuses when I put the video up.

Unless you were just being modest. :)

Thanks man, but the 'I'm by no means the best Guardian, and I don't really ever duel' bit kinda put me off a little. I'm sure if Duck'Bumps beats you soundly, he doesn't want to hear any kind of 'your opponent wasn't top notch' kind of excuses when I put the video up.

Unless you were just being modest. :)

I just meant that you would never get a consensus of who the best Guardian/ Juggernaut is and anyone claiming to be that person is delusional or overconfident. The thing about hardly ever dueling is true, but I do very well in warzones on my Guardian.

As a Tank/Smash hybrid I have a bunch of interupts, Force Kick, Awe, Pommel Strike, Force Puch and Force Stasis. I am certian a practiced Gaurdian would be able to keep any other class locked out of channeled or cast time abilities. The fight would come down to a Commando/Merc ability to maitain range which is really hard to do against a Gaurdian. IMO Sipers/Gunslingers are a much more difficult match-up for Gaurdian, for that reason.

As with most things player skill would be the biggest factor. A Jugg/Gaurdian that jumps into a 1V1 duel and then pushes you away to only jump in again is doing it wrong. Jumping is fine if you cant run to them but giving away an interpt (push) and your gap closer (jump) is a poor use of those cooldown.

have fun...Tort

I just meant that you would never get a consensus of who the best Guardian/ Juggernaut is and anyone claiming to be that person is delusional or overconfident. The thing about hardly ever dueling is true, but I do very well in warzones on my Guardian.

I'll duel you. You don't have to be the best. I lose to tank assassins in BM gear and VG's all the time. Not saying you're undergeared or anything like that, but in this situation, it's your class that should be able to shut down my class, which means regardless of gear (as long as it's not recruit) you should be able to beat me consistently. And who knows, you just might. Just like how I thought I was invincible against all Marauders/Sentinels until a very smart combat (not sure of the imp equiv) specced mara totally owned my *** and forced me to change my opinions.

I'll duel you. You don't have to be the best. I lose to tank assassins in BM gear and VG's all the time. Not saying you're undergeared or anything like that, but in this situation, it's your class that should be able to shut down my class, which means regardless of gear (as long as it's not recruit) you should be able to beat me consistently. And who knows, you just might. Just like how I thought I was invincible against all Marauders/Sentinels until a very smart combat (not sure of the imp equiv) specced mara totally owned my *** and forced me to change my opinions.

Well, I'm usually either on Yan, Silch, or Hoeven on the republic side when I'm playing.

Now that I think about this whole thread - it would be kind of unreasonable for you to be expected to duel the consensus best Guardian/Juggernaut on the server (if such a person even existed) just because you said you can handle Guardians/Jugs. Obviously the best at a particular class can probably beat even someone very experienced at dealing with their class.

Well, I'm usually either on Yan, Silch, or Hoeven on the republic side when I'm playing.

Now that I think about this whole thread - it would be kind of unreasonable for you to be expected to duel the consensus best Guardian/Juggernaut on the server (if such a person even existed) just because you said you can handle Guardians/Jugs. Obviously the best at a particular class can probably beat even someone very experienced at dealing with their class.

I'll send you a whisper when I get on. I agree with you too. There are people out there, that no matter what class they use, they are just that good where they can beat you no matter what... I've been in fights like that... Out skilled... It sucks but it happens.

I'll send you a whisper when I get on. I agree with you too. There are people out there, that no matter what class they use, they are just that good where they can beat you no matter what... I've been in fights like that... Out skilled... It sucks but it happens.

Uuuh wait a second.

The *entire discussion* we have been having is about PvP at the absolute top end. Ie. that the best commandos cannot compete with the best juggs/maras/PTs whatever. Throughout, we have been in agreement that a good commando can handily beat a mediocre Juggernaut. That is not in question. We're also not talking about you beating someone in sub-WH gear.

If you want to back out, fine, but don't try and make this out as an unfair test.

Many thanks to those who have responded! It would be great if someone has the capability of recording the fight(s) themselves (Dire, I've seen your videos - would you be willing?), but I'll start grinding tonight if you need me to record somewhere.

Edited by Jherad

Uuuh wait a second.

The *entire discussion* we have been having is about PvP at the absolute top end. Ie. that the best commandos cannot compete with the best juggs/maras/PTs whatever. Throughout, we have been in agreement that a good commando can handily beat a mediocre Juggernaut. That is not in question. We're also not talking about you beating someone in sub-WH gear.

If you want to back out, fine, but don't try and make this out as an unfair test.

Many thanks to those who have responded! It would be great if someone has the capability of recording the fight(s) themselves (Dire, I've seen your videos - would you be willing?), but I'll start grinding tonight if you need me to record somewhere.

I actually just downloaded FRAPS today and it seems to not really affect my performance much. I've been wanting it for a while anyway, so this just pushed me over the edge.

I actually just downloaded FRAPS today and it seems to not really affect my performance much. I've been wanting it for a while anyway, so this just pushed me over the edge.

You're awesome, thank you so much.

I've found a good compromise for recording FPS, file size for upload to youtube and quality is (assuming you have a 1920x1080 resolution) to have it capture at half size, 29.97 fps - then run the resulting file through windows movie maker and save as a 1080p movie (don't upload to youtube through moviemaker). The resulting file is usually around a gigabyte for a warzone.

If you just want to record a few duels, you can push the quality much higher. Of course if you have a blazing fast system and awesome internet connection, ignore me and put it all up high from the start.

Edited by Jherad

So did anything come of this last night?

I didn't get any whispers, which is fine, since Wednesdays are my guild's raid night right now, so unless he caught me early, I wouldn't have been able to duel. I did test out FRAPS, though, and that seems to be working fine. Not sure if any other Guardians/Jugs dueled him. I'm sure I'll be on again tonight and am willing to give it a try.

Edit: In case anyone was curious, here are the first two WZs I FRAPSed on this character (the only ones I got a chance to do last night). The first one is a Voidstar I solo queued while waiting for my guildmates, and the second one was a Huttball that had three of us (I put music over it so you don't have to listen to our chatter in Ventrilo). Sorry if the quality sucks - I'll FRAPS the duel in better quality, I just wanted to conserve space for videoing the raid after:

Voidstar: http://youtu.be/lHfG5OcNKps

Huttball:

Edited by rob_y

Ohhhh.. I see now. This guy Duck'Bumps was following me all around huttball yesterday asking to 1v1 me. He got smashed pretty bad. We won that match and there are some cool highlight moments that i fraps'd and I am putting in my next vid! I'll check to see if he was one of my victims.