How could Baras' plan have even possibly worked? *SPOILERS*

OldVengeance

Isn't the whole point of The Voice of the Emperor that he has the voice of the Emperor?! Baras clearly never seemed to display anything like that. And he's trying to fool the Dark Council not the average joe, haven't they all met the Emperor by now? He's not a complete hermit. I thought The Voice of the Emperor has the Emperor's voice for exactly the reason that he's not impersonated, I was half expecting Baras to pull some trick where he manages to find a way to imitate the Emperor's ability or something at the end of the SW story.

They knew that and they were simply using him to make benefit.

I recall Servant One mentioning that, since the Emperor has been in seclusion for decades now without any direct word from him, some members of the Dark Council (like Ravage) just desperately wanted to believe in the "return" of the Voice of the Emperor and readily accepted Baras' claim to being just that.

It's just so funny that, when you think about it, Baras' "interpretation" of the Voice is absolutely nothing like the actual Voice of the Emperor. Baras considers the Voice to be merely the spokesperson for the Emperor and can simply get away with everything by arguing that the Emperor gave him instructions ("The Emperor will inform me what is to be done with Vowrawn"), while the real deal is in fact the Emperor himself and is to be regarded as such. The only non-player character that gets that is Angral curiously enough.

What the above posts have said.

Some Dark Council members are relatively new and have never met the Voice since the Emperor has spent decades in seclusion, deferring to the Dark Council to manage the Empire in his stead. Others, like Marr for instance, likely knows but makes no attempt to call him out for it because its to his benefit to play along.

The best way I imagine Baras seeing this play out is like this:

1) Proclaim myself to be Voice of the Emperor

Emperor's response: None due to being in unknown seclusion and Voice (which houses his spirit) being trapped.

Dark Council's response: Several options.

-Believe me to be Voice of the Emperor and unconditionally support my will.

-Know I am not Voice of the Emperor but recognize my value if they go along with my scheme.

-Know I am not Voice of the Emperor and turn my Council supporters on the dissenter.

Dark Council dissent: Darth Vowraw--has no gain nor will to allow me to win.

-Kill him and label him as an example to those who challenge me as the Emperor's Voice.

Profit!

The Emperor's Wrath was the only wrench he did not see in the machine.

The Emperor's Wrath was the only wrench he did not see in the machine.

Nah he saw it coming, he just underestimated the threat that the Wrath represented. I mean he had already written about the expected encounter mid way through Chapter 3(although I think you have to take a LS decision to get the email about that). Only that version had the Wrath losing and admitting that Baras was the true Voice. So likely he was told that he would face the Wrath by the Dark Side Entity, but he discounted the possibility that he could possibly lose to his former apprentice.

Baras was also blackmailing some of the Dark Council members. That was the point of going after the Imperial Intelligence agent on Corellia--he had the blackmail information. Once you get it, Baras has no more control over those council members.