Making a character that "Fits"

Breidr

Given that this game is very story based (thanks Bioware) and has awesome mechanics that promote RP even with NPCs I've been wanting to make a character that "fits" and I can't even get past naming.

I have a Smuggler from my trial and for him I just used a Norse name like I always have. The thing is, I'm out of fantasy land here. I've been reading wikis and googling but I can't seem to find anything solid. Am I just overlooking the obvious. The most complete information I can find is the whole "take the beginning of X jam it in with the end of Y, put Darth in front of it." PROFIT. Is this all we have to go by?

I guess I am being a little picky, I'm just overly paranoid that a name will be fine now, but I'll grow to hate it later...

Beyond that I was going to try and make a character that has personality. I'm probably not going to do any hardcore RP anytime soon, but I did roll on an RP server and I was hoping to get some immersion out of this game. Given past Bioware titles that I've played, I think (and hope) this is possible. I just have no idea where to start with this whole lore thing. When I was playing LOTRO I was well versed in the lore, here, not so much. I picked up KOTOR during the Steam summer sale, so that may help. Are there certain races/classes that make it a bit easier. Part of me wants to avoid Jedi/Sith and play a more "common" trooper or something. Human is usually the default race in the regard, but I kind of want to do something more exotic, haven't decided yet. I guess I'll just keep an eye out and see what t he balance looks like on my server, if it needs more humans or not.

Other than that, I'm pretty clueless. Don't suppose the movies will help me here, them being after this and all...

Given that this game is very story based (thanks Bioware) and has awesome mechanics that promote RP even with NPCs I've been wanting to make a character that "fits" and I can't even get past naming.

I have a Smuggler from my trial and for him I just used a Norse name like I always have. The thing is, I'm out of fantasy land here. I've been reading wikis and googling but I can't seem to find anything solid. Am I just overlooking the obvious. The most complete information I can find is the whole "take the beginning of X jam it in with the end of Y, put Darth in front of it." PROFIT. Is this all we have to go by?

I guess I am being a little picky, I'm just overly paranoid that a name will be fine now, but I'll grow to hate it later...

Beyond that I was going to try and make a character that has personality. I'm probably not going to do any hardcore RP anytime soon, but I did roll on an RP server and I was hoping to get some immersion out of this game. Given past Bioware titles that I've played, I think (and hope) this is possible. I just have no idea where to start with this whole lore thing. When I was playing LOTRO I was well versed in the lore, here, not so much. I picked up KOTOR during the Steam summer sale, so that may help. Are there certain races/classes that make it a bit easier. Part of me wants to avoid Jedi/Sith and play a more "common" trooper or something. Human is usually the default race in the regard, but I kind of want to do something more exotic, haven't decided yet. I guess I'll just keep an eye out and see what t he balance looks like on my server, if it needs more humans or not.

Other than that, I'm pretty clueless. Don't suppose the movies will help me here, them being after this and all...

I wouldn't be so hard for choosing a norse mythology name. The breadth and depth of humanity in the star wars universe is large and you can find comparisons to a number of real life analogues, such as Norse. There is no reason why your norse name, would not fit into the world as well as any other currently.

The more stringent or strange naming conventions, come from the more obscure or alien cultures. Even then, there is nothing wrong with having an alien with a normal sounding name(perhaps it is the nickname he was given as his name is hard to properly pronounce in basic?).

Making yourself fit is more about your playstyle and attitude than the game. Some archetypes and roles are universal, and fit in any setting. There are always rogues, heroes, villains of every shade.

Start with something you know, or are comfortable playing and move from there. Dont try to create something from scratch that only fits into the star wars setting(especially as you seem to be not as familiar with some aspects) or you may limit yourself and your enjoyment.

for my sith i decided to look into latin translations for the premis of my character as vader is aparentally farther in latin kria or traya is betray ect

now since before the family tree i had decided that many of my characters were related on the republic side and my warrior was decended from their family (wont go into it all but had something to do with siblings in the jedi cival war) i looked up decend and i found descer as a appropate name.

now it may not sound menasing but descer is unusual and add mystery to a name.

hope my experance helps you with your name problems :)

there is always the "star wars name game" : http://www.microsaft.com/starwars.htm

For your new first name:

1. Take the first 3 letters of your 1st name & add

2. the first 2 letters of your last name

For your new last name:

3. Then take the first 2 letters of your Mom's maiden name & add

4. the first 3 letters of the city you were born.

How to determine your Star Wars honorific name & title:

1. Take the last three letters of your last name & reverse them.

2. add the name of the first car you drove/owned.

3. insert the word "of"

4 Add the name of the last medication or supplement you took.

And it actually works pretty well :)

Fantasy name generators still work very well for sci-fi.

Besides, it's Star Wars. There are plenty of ridiculous names for characters that people find awesome, example:

Kit Fisto

Luuke Skywalker (yes, there is another "u" there)

Coleman Kacj (backwards for Jack)

As shown in the above post, http://www.microsaft.com/starwars.htm works extremely well.

Edited by Jenzali

The on-board random name generator isn't bad. I've named two characters that I enjoy playing just by hitting the "random" name button until I saw something I liked, then played around with it a bit (drop a letter, add an apostrophe, etc) until I really liked it.

But as has been mentioned, if you like Norse-sounding names, use one. Star Wars is huge.

One of the good things about Star Wars is how diverse it is. You can pick any name or any species, and it will fit perfectly.

In terms of roleplaying and lore, if you're on the side of the Empire as Sith or an Agent, I'd reccomend having a human toon - the Sith Empire in SWTOR is made of speciest bigots who despise aliens. For a Bounty Hunter, though, you could do well with any species since they're not actual subjects of the Empire and they come from all corners of the Galaxy.

If you're Republic, you could have a toon of any gender and/or species and you shouldn't worry wether it fits thematically - the Republic's society is free from any form of segregation (except for financial one).

For a name, as long as it isn't something utterly silly, you have a clean slate. I'm no linguist, so may be wrong, but I don't believe that there is any sensible linguistic naming pattern when it comes to Star Wars. You might have a Norse name, you might have an Asian name, you might have a Latin name... it will fit.

• 2 weeks later...