Class Feedback

CommunitySupport

My sorceror is currently 0/25/16 and primarily used for pve.

I have played healing and will include impressions, but that was pre 1.2

1. How do you think your Sorcerer spec is perceived by other classes?

I don't think anyone notices the difference between my spec and the standard lightning madness hybrid spec.

Healing: Very sought after for raiding for multiple target healing.

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

My dps spec is fun to play, lots of complexities and quick decision making but not the best single target damage. Multitarget damage is great for doing dailies.

Healing: Fairly boring and not punishing for errors, I haven't done it enough to comment on the 1.2 changes, but I don't remember having force issues and would often dps between heals. I enjoyed that dual threat aspect as it broke up the whack a mole monotony that is standard mmo healing.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How I perceive the class

• Strong capable healers but cast times are to long which leads to being to easily interrupted in pvp.
  • All DPS specs for PvP are lacking burst damage and overall damage.
  • All specs lack survivability in PvP.
  • Sustained PvE DPS is good with the 1/12/28 spec.
  • Consumption taking health is a ******** mechanic and kills us big time in pvp.
  • Extremely fun class to play.

How Others pereive the class

• Extremely capable healers if left alone. Prime target as a healer to kill in pvp.
  • Non-threat in DPS spec.

List of PvP Concerns

• Static Barrier - Was extremely good when the game first came out and could take multiple hits and was the biggest concern from other classes because they couldn't kill us easily and we could nuke/heal. Now it is pathetic and takes maybe 1 hit if were lucky.
  • Force sprint - Relies to much on other people. Is subject to snares, slows, stuns, and gap closers (leaps). Needs to be immune to CC/Leaps while sprinting in my opinion.
  • Overload Knock Back - to small of a knockback range. EASILY countered by gap closers. Electric Bindings is to far in the Lightning tree and should quite honestly just be included with overload normally. Another suggestion would to have overload put all gap closers on cooldown.
  • Our cast times are to easily interrupted. Our cast times are to long. Also melee cant be interrupted but we can. Can our cast times be shortened so it actually takes skill to interrupt or can we have a disarm are lockdown to prevent melee from using skills?
  • Lack of Burst damage - Our burst damage comes from the lightning tree but lacks the required mobility for PvP.
  • Damage over time skills - Tick for to little damage and tick way to slowly. Seriously, 18 seconds on affliction is way to long to fights don't last near that long. Crushing darkness is to long as well. Can these duration's be reduced (ideally to half) so that they tick faster and can produce damage. Our dots can also be purged NEGATING our damage. Reducing the duration helps to get more damage in before they are purged.
  • The old chain lightning wrath hybrid spec - In all honestly this spec needs to be brought back. 30% chance on spamming LS is way to low of a chance to get Chain Lightning to be instant cast. Wrath procing chain lightning would be a great spec if other changes aren't going to happen.
  • Heal cast times to long to easily interrupted.

Closing Thoughts

• I have an assault vanguard, a marauder, a juggernaut, and a healing operative and I can say without a doubt the sorcerer feels far weaker then them all.

Additional Suggestions

• Color crystals in off hand change the color of force lightning. Think this would be a cool suggestion.

Edited by TheLordMaster

Corruption PVE

1. I think lots of people (some even play Sorcerers) think that the change to Force Surge gimped our resource management since we now have to pay life when we need to use Consumption. People still seem to be glad to see me in PUGs, though.

2. I love it. I was a Holy Priest in WoW for years (yes, even in ICC), so I'm used to choosing between longish casts (Heal and Dark Infusion) with good resource efficiency and faster heals that are less efficient (Flash Heal and Dark Heal), and I love that we get a channeled heal for times when we only have a second to stand still (last boss in D7 when you have the claw, for example). Overall, I think it's a very strong spec.

1.) In raid terms this is one of the most chosen classes and therefore never has a problem getting groups. Ranged dps is also preferred in most situations lost island being a rime example.

2.) I hear many ppl saying in DPS terms this class is under powered I however agree and disagree. With Lightning spec and the correct build it is impossible to run out of force but on a boss encounter during a raid the madness dot spec will always beat it when wearing the same gear. This is offset by the fact lightning has the best aoe in the game and can quickly dispatch mobs without problem this doesn't change the fact that ultimately over long fights you are at the mercy of your crit proccing your big attacks due to their excessive charge times but unfortunately this has an excessive exclusion time dealing a double wammy of less dps and less playability. In short to sort this class simply remove the can't happen more than once every so many seonds on lightning barrage and chain lightnings proc.Remeber they are only activated by crits from affliction and force lightning strike and even with crit stacked its still only a 1 in 3 chance this serverely handy caps the class. All sorceror specs are completely exposed in pvp and require revisiting.

oops, sorry.... thought you wanted feedback.

1. others perceive us as being the best healers for PvE, but I think operative/scoundrel healers are the best in terms of resouce managment, emergency heals, and can easily out heal when not all 8 people are stacked in the HoT tub.

2. Think this class is very unfun to play as a healer due to the lack of a proper resource managment system

The resource managament of healers is pretty much non-existant. We have a limited number of option of how to refil our health after using consumption, and all of them are just forms of misplaying:

a) we acn use rejuvinate on ourselves, giving ourself the armor buff that should always be on the tank

b) we can place an aoe heal near us, which is bad in many of the fights where we need to be healing a tank at range

c) we overheal ourselves (or cleanse needlessly) with any of the remaining abilities.

rant

Either un-nerf us, so our proc actually means somserhitng more than a measly 2 force per second boost for 10 seconds, or give us something like diagnostic scan.

I dont mind the fact that we have nothing in the form of emergency or burst heals, but at least make our resource managment as fun and functional as other classes, considering that was the onluy thing fun about healing as a sorc before 1.2.

now, whenever i get that luittle red buff I just think to myself... so I have to lose 12% (or more) of my left, just to come up 20 force... and if I am at 20% or below there is no way for me to get more force at all... even with the buff.

not to mention we were robbed of a level 47 skill (sacrafice) that we never got back...

thanks for making this thread for me to vent. Now to complain about the shadow tanking nerfs....

Edited by dipstik

PVE Heals: Excellent in groupwide damage situations. Solid healers.

PVE Dps: Weaker vs other classes. On par with Assassin dps - also weak.

PVP: Perceived as easy targets regardless of spec. No burst dps.

PVE Heals:

* The % hp cost of consumption penalizes higher endurance levels on Campaign gear ~21k. ~2300hp talented loss for 52 force is frustrating as the cost to heal it is most of the gain. Perhaps use base health at a higher % rather than fully geared talented 11% or cap it. It should get easier not harder.

* We have no mechanic/ability to one off significantly reduce a cast time. Pray your target last 2.3-2.5s for the cast if Static barrier is on debuff (moreso a problem for 2 sorc ops). Per an earlier suggestion make a talent (high up) like Penetrating Darkness with the "to hit" % removed and make it allow recklessness to make your next Dark Infusion instant cast or next two 1 sec faster.

Edited by Spaj

DPS Sorcerer:

Percieved as:

PvE: Tolerable

PvP 50: Not a threat, squishy and with no burst. People will jump you non-stop because they know that they will either win or atleast have the time to get away.

I percieve it as:

PvE: Great potential but force management in long fights needs to be improved, either through lower force costs, higher regen rate or a bigger force pool.

PvP 50: It feels like it requires way more work and a higher skilled player to be on par with average skilled players from other classes. I'm sometimes exhausted after just two games and it's no fun to constantly have to be on the edge. I've posted possible solutions several times already so I'm going to leave it at that here.

Edited by MidichIorian

We are great raid healers, squishy in pvp/rated WZ. Since we do not have a Defensive Cooldown we are easier to take down over any other healer class.

Incredibly fun and I love the healing aspect of sorc healing. Would be nice to have a defensive cooldown for pvp and a cooldown ability to make Dark Infusion an instant heal.

Hi devs!

I should say that yy feedback will be mainly from a PvP point of view. Currently I get high scores (topping scoreboards or doing best/one of best damage in WZ) with madness +10p used on other trees. I have played lighting and a 50/50ish hybrid.

Also, as a general note, I should say that Sorcerers are seen as an easy kill, we are very weak and have litte damage and many of our skill require us not to move, which makes us even easier target (having single targrt forcepush would help) and makes our DPS on high level group pve lower that classes that have most of their damage on the move, like power techs - which also get heavy armour. It is also a shame that our lightsaber attacks are very bad and do not help to sustain DPS once force is low. (we cant always consume our own health)

Madness Tree: Good as it is

It is an excellent and well balanced skill set, it does require the player to think more than with other classes or specs, and putting DoT on several people at the time helps a lot. It allows me to play on the move, which means 1v1 I can kill most classes. This does require a lot of thinking and good use of our CC skill, including force slow - which I see rarely used by other sorcerers/sages. The overtime healing provided by it also make the player last much longer in battle. Being able to CC people isntantly with windwhirl and having an extra 3 second root with the last box skill is also nice. To do well, a good player will make a huge different with this tree, but without a doubt the one to go for a DPS player.

I think this spec is a great gem in the game.

Lighting Tree: Needs changing

As much as its nice to watch and great damage with a hybrid build when everything fires, its a very useless build. With this skill tree mostl attacks require the player to stand still, I fould this very bad for pvp. Player get easily interrupted, targeted and killed fast. Although stronger and bliding barriers, rooting overload and lower forcerun CD are nice, they do not help this tree on what it should be about. Damage - Burst damage in my opinion (I would say madness is sustained damage)

Comparing the skills that this tree gives to madness, its not well balanced for a fast moving combat that high level pve and pvp requires. For example, deathfield from the madness tree affect 3 people with internal damage (i've been hitting people for over 4k damage), plus healing the user, it also has manual targeting method which makes hitting hidding targets easier. Chain lighting affect up 5 people, but need a target in sight. It also does energy damage, making it less effective. It also has a charging time, which is a problem if you do not have the effect that eliminates it.

I can't remember the name of the last skill in this tree, but although it nice to have a guaranteed tree if affliction is active on target, damage is not as good as other skills, like deathfield. The charging time means that a good player will usually interrupt this attack and makes the sorcerer a very easy kill. On the other hand, madness top skill, although not having a hit damage, its 3 second root, and DoT over 18 second convined with affliction and crushing darkness give it a great edge over a player. I think that lighting needs a better top skill, if should not have a charging time. If anything, it could be casting time and really really high damage.

On paper, lighting is a very good tree, if you can fire your attacks without being interrupted and with someone infront of you all the time theoretical damage is good, but on game experience, it offers nothing that would make me take it over madness for DPS. It is slow, it doesnt flow, most attack can be interrupted, there is no really high damage, there is no healing bonus like with madness.

In my opinion lighting tree should be redesigned into a fast, more damaging tree. To balance things out, it could consume more force that it does now, thus making it more burst damage. At least changes in a way that players are less interrupted and can move while charging attacks would make this tree so much effective and much much more entretaining to play.

Some kind of armor break skill for this tree could also be a good idea to make it more temping as viable option for dps player.

Healing Cant remember proper name.

I have not used this tree pass the 2p box for extra 10% area damage/healing, but I've seen people doing great healing with it in PvE and PvP. No change needed in my opinion.

As a general request, it would be nice if sorcerers could use their lightsaber more. or alternatively, have a no lightsaber option (less defense maybe) which give a force damage/healing bonus. Lightsaber would still be equipped, it could be designed as in an force stance that simply does not engage it.

Edited by Vauhee

Spec: Madness

How others see my AC/spec:

In PvE, I think we are seen as putting out less damage than other DPS specs but with the added utility of off-healing if necessary and using our static barrier to take pressure off the healer.

How I see my spec:

I enjoy it, but I don't think the expectations meet reality when it comes to utility. In a PvE environment, we run out of force quickly using static barrier and/or the occasional self heal. So whatever utility we are getting in exchange for losing out on the raw DPS of other classes is not worth it in the end.

1) Weak and an easy pvp kill, as I perceive it while playing my other class characters. In comparison if I could reclass I would in a heartbeat since Assassin has half my skills plus tons of other options.

2) A ton of work in pvp to get kills and as others said, all glass and no cannon so I have regretted not choosing assassin due to having no defense and the lowest dps offense in game. I am a top sith on The Dark Council yet I feel like a tag along kid in pvp and throughout the game.

P.S. War Hero gear is horrible I did not choose Ent I chose Socerer.

Hi

Thank you!

1) As a Sorc i am not good for Rated warzones. Madness spec is only viable for pvp but lacks any real damage when i cant escape melee and is easily shutdown with an interrupt to my force lightning. Lightning spec is only good for PvE and has to long of cast time to be any good in pvp due to it.

2) I feel weak compared to pre 1.2 sorc damages. i can barely do well for my team in pvp but then have to eat respec costs when i want to go do a raid or Ops. My survivability is limited by my lack of dps since force lightning is my only attack. My CC is top notch and is the only thing keeping usefull to my team in pvp.

Hi everyone,

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Thank you!

1. PVE Healing- not horrible, but not great. Some people have said to me that sorc healers are "useless" compared to operatives, besides the big Aoe heal of course. They say sorcs are only good in certain situations and on certain boss phases.

2. PVE Healing- not even close to as good as operatives and so much harder to play (I have an op healer too). When running EC I find it way easier to do on my op, even though it is not geared as well as my sorcerer. Sorcs have Zero mobility and horrible energy management which literally kills us in EC HM.

Both 50 Lightning and Corruption experience:

Weak for PVP and should kite (either Lightning or Corruption); targeted often and easy to kill.

After solo-ing as Lightning and Corruption, both are somewhat formulaic (uses lightning storm often for leveling), though fun, and playing Corruption is stronger to solo material than as Lightning. PVP is more fun, i.e. has more control and utility, as a healing role than Lightning.

Healer:

1. At the moment we are really the main targets for the enemy DPS.

- After 1.2. there is no opportunities to recover force = slow suicide

- Significant up of expertise = also less opportunity for survival

- Only 2 skills for control target. And can u explain? Sorcs whirwild can be break when target take damage while assasin whirlwind can't be broken even if u'll attack target. Why? So we can't protect ourself as other heal classes, cause: whirlwild have too long activation time - can be interrupted, and can't control target with debuffs, who is attacked someone else, stun oonly for 4 sec, and enemy can have full resolve bar...force speed/overload - nice skills, yes, but it help to survive for few seconds more, but no more.

2. What is good?

- Static barrier, great help to survive

- Nice AOE-heal - the object of envy for all other healers

- Stable heal, depends on spec sure, but not depend of crit so much.

- Pull - maybe 2d ability for what other players appreciate us well

Edited by GeloFarmazon

Others view Sorcs as:

An easy kill in PVP as we are the only AC with no defensive cool downs. If you get focused, even with heals you are dead. Best PVE healers by far and worst PVP healers by far as you have no defensive cool downs and are the least mobile healer.

I see Sorcs :

Only AC with no defensive cool down making us target #1 in ranked with us not able to kite due to snares and roots not filling resolve so we just sit there getting focused by the whole other team until we are dead. Talent trees are terrible especially the 31point talents. When I play my PT or Jug there are tons of cool talents I want but can't get due to running out of points. On my Sorc I don't want most of the talents, I just take the ones that suck the least. Only 1 viable DPS and Healing spec with minor variation due to weak skill trees. Best PVE healer(best AOE heal+can stand and cast away, worst PVP healer easily locked down with no defensive cool down.

PvP perspective.

Others view Sorcs as:

An easy kill in PVP as we are the only AC with no defensive cool downs. If you get focused, even with heals you are dead. Worst PVP healers by far as you have no defensive cool downs and are the least mobile healer. Laughable pathetic DPS, it looks good on metrics but its so spread out and so pathetically ineffective - DPS sorc 0% desired.

I see Sorcs :

Only AC with no defensive cool down making us target #1 in ranked with us not able to kite due to snares and roots not filling resolve so we just sit there getting focused by the whole other team until we are dead. Talent trees are terrible especially the 31point talents. When I play my Sentinel, Guardian there are tons of cool talents I want but can't get due to running out of points. On my Sorc I don't want most of the talents, I just take the ones that suck the least. Only 1-2 viable DPS and Healing spec with minor variation due to weak skill trees.worst PVP healer easily locked down with no defensive cool down and no counterplay versus several classes in the game - such as slow from PT. Uncleansable. Laughable pathetic DPS, it looks good on metrics but its so spread out and so pathetically ineffective. A glass canon without the cannon. Extremely flawed talent trees - Lightning = Survivability from not damaging opponents but maximising lightning damage means having affliction/weaken mind running at all times. Very poorly designed.

Edit: Also, this game favours melee based classes (apart from Gunslingers that are "immune" to their advantages) over everything else. Kiting in this game is impossible if both parts play 100% correct. There's a counter move from the melee part to everything we do, in fact they usually get more tools to stay close than we get to get away. That's unacceptable. Light armor, no burst and not possibly to kite reliably, whats that about?

Edited by AdamLKvist

Madness spec

1. I feel my Sorcerer is perceived as a free kill to many, if not all, other classes. I have the least survivability, lowest armor class and despite being the Highest rated DPS Sorcerer in PvP on my server, I get out damaged by tank classes that have high armor rating and the top survivability.

2. I feel that as a DPS sorcerer my overall damage and burst is severely lacking. Out of my few escape mechanisms, force speed fails me the majority of the time because it can easily be countered with a stun, snare, charge, ect. I perceive my spec as being at the bottom of the food chain.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share this.

-Darç

Edited by Deimosmp

played all 3, thoughts follow

PvP: Madness and Lightning suffer from the same flaw: a kiting class that has long cast times and is easily interupted. The best proc in madness is dependent on the longest cast time for a damaging ability within that tree, and when the proc comes it doesn't hit hard enough to make a difference. Lightning is even more dependent on procs, and while it might have a slightly higher capacity to burst, spamming affliction on multiple targets is the only thing possible on the move and we're often low/out of resource by the time something useful happens. Healing has no lifesaver, and I can't do my more effective heals while on the move. Seriously depraved to think that the lightest armor class should have less instant ability and more channeled/timered than the medium to heavy. I don't even bother anymore, as more time is spent behind a gate or on a speeder than in the action.

PvE: Do you have healing puddle?

Yes -> welcome aboard

No -> dps sorc (eternally) lfg

Here are the two questions that we’d like to ask (please only post about specific specs that you actively play, and don’t forget to tell us which one you’re talking about!):

Thank you!

I don't PvP, this is from a PvE Operations perspective:

How do I think your Sorcerer spec is perceived by other classes? I think they see the Sorcerer as only a Healer Companion Character / Side Kick who are nice to have around from time to time, even if I am DPS spec'd. If they need utility, we come in handy, if they need Damage, give them any other class.

How do I perceive my own spec?, I've tried Lightning, Madness, and Hybred builds, none of which make me feel heroic or powerful. No mobility, no burst, but the tank loves me because I won't pull aggro from the boss he's on.

Very squishy and an easy kill.

Has potential but very squishy and burst damage/survivability is not comparable to other classes.

(PVP perspective only)

Easy kill, easily rooted, easy to counter anything damaging. No defense, just make sure I pull you or knock you down before you Extricate a teammate that can actually move around/survive in a wz.

Squishy for sure; I am constantly fleeing for my life, and I only survive when guarded or when my assailant decides I am too annoying to follow so far (at least by that time I am no longer buzzing around the battle). When rwz started, I had to respec heals but these are also so slow that I now hate PVP on my sorc.

If I had one ask, it would be to improve the interface so we are properly notified when procs come up.

1. How do you think your Sorcerer spec is perceived by other classes?'

i've played madness and healing specs in pvp and pve.

healing we are very desired for both pvp and pve. for pvp it can be extremely difficult to do meaningfull healing against a team of people with half a brain. by that i mean we are targeted so fast and by multiples of the opposite team that combined with our severe lack of defensive capabilities(our shield is good for like maybe one hit from a BM geared player) it can be almost impossible to even do our job. if you have to roll a premade to even be somewhat helpfull as a support spec, then how helpful are you really??

as a dps, madness spec in the 50's bracket, i felt useless. my dps was sustained. currently the best dps in pvp in 50 bracket is burst, if you aren't bursting you aren't helping. in the lower bracket, i feel like sorc madness dps is pretty good actually, somewhere between 49 and 50 madness dps just doesn't cut it, and this reflects with community opinion that if you're a sorc you better be healing or you're not really contributing.

as someone who has never before liked playing a healer i actually enjoy healing pve on my sorc. pvp i mostly enjoy healing, as i mentioned it can be especially difficult much of the time though if you're playing against a team that actually thinks(which is more often than you would think, and less often than you would believe if you catch my meaning). as well, if even two competant dps are attacking the target you're healing....the cast times and trauma just don't allow you to keep them up even a few percent longer it seems to me. and what then person is the ball carrier or the dps turret defender when you're entire team is at the other end of the map....and that happens a lot, well that just doesn't cut it. everything is your fault and we know why that is....there's no way to even be helpfull against focus fire even when it's only 2 people.

Full madness Sorc (0/10/31)

In PVP:

Easy Prey when out in the open. Can usually increase TTK by going unnoticed (read not casting the highly visible force lightning) and DOTing many of the combatants. Eventually though, in order to proc wraith, you have to stand out and then you get focused.

Extricate is useful in Huttball only. Doesn't have the utility of other classes, but I know the interrupts and CC's are essential to helping the team complete objectives.

In PVE:

A highly desired addition to the Raid team, especially for longer fights (Sorc Buff, DoTs like Affliction, etc). Probably preferred in the healer capacity/spec because of AoE heals.

Highly mobile for DoTing and kiting. Becomes stationary turret in order to proc wraith.