Fresh Smuggler looking for Leveling Advice

Barachiel

The fastest levelling spec would probably be Scrapper. Just because it's DPS. (Dirty Fighting is also DPS, but not really well suited for levelling). However, if you like healing and plan to do heroics and flashpoints often, you can go Sawbones, and have a lot of fun healing. You may find solo questing a bit slow on higher levels this way, but you can just stealth past everything and get your XP from flashpoints or PvP.

As for the spec, just take the spec for 50, and go up to full 31 points in your main tree, and only touch other trees after that.

Ah okay. Was just checking. I tried that with my Inquisitor and found out later, to solo as a Sorcerer, I needed to go partway up madness, then partway up lightining, then back to madness. Made a huge difference. wasn't sure if that was going to be the case with my smuggler too. thanks!

What I did while leveling was a hybrid like you did with your Sorc (also my first toon). I was super excited to get K.O. in the tree. Then was underwelmed by its performance. So I went from This build to This build. And never looked back. I ended up with A Hybrid Build. I loved this build. I was able to que up as a healer in Flash Points to get into them quicker. And while questing with Akaavi we could solo some H4. Her heavy armor plus my heals were great. Not to mention the utility you get in PVP.

I'm not saying this is the best and greatest build, but I enjoyed it while leveling and in end game. Give it a try. :D

I tend to play a lot solo as I have too many kids who need my attention. I prefer sawbones. I am currently on Hoth and I don't think I have needed to group for a heroic since Tat (though I never really tried the H4s solo when I was there). With the right spec and some half decent gear on Corso, you can stealth and heal through most heroics.

Most are simple with stealth and if you add in the heals even more are simple. Don't count on getting the bonus quests completed though (unless you want to spend even more time).

Of course if you do not like taking a bit longer, or you have no issues waiting for groups, then my suggestion may not be best for you.

One fun way to level is to put 3 points in

Bedside Manner (increases cunning), and

2 points in Underworld Medicine (100%

chance to grant upper hand). Then...

Jump to dirty fighting, work your way up

to Dirty Escape (3 points ranged/tech

critical chance, 2 points alacrity,

2 points dirty escape).

After that start, focus on anything that

increases your healing output from

sawbones.

In pvp, you kick everything, hit them

while they're recovering from your kick,

and heal.

In pve, yes! Again, kick all the red things!

Retarget and do some green healy stuff,

then kick again! Lots of fun, worked well

for questing, h2/4s, and flashpoints.

One fun way to level is to put 3 points in

Bedside Manner (increases cunning), and

2 points in Underworld Medicine (100%

chance to grant upper hand). Then...

Jump to dirty fighting, work your way up

to Dirty Escape (3 points ranged/tech

critical chance, 2 points alacrity,

2 points dirty escape).

After that start, focus on anything that

increases your healing output from

sawbones.

In pvp, you kick everything, hit them

while they're recovering from your kick,

and heal.

In pve, yes! Again, kick all the red things!

Retarget and do some green healy stuff,

then kick again! Lots of fun, worked well

for questing, h2/4s, and flashpoints.

I leveled as a scrapper until around level 30 and then I hit Balmorra and I found that half the time, my tank would die or if I used a DPS companion, I'd have to spam heals on myself while they killed the mobs. So, I changed to Sawbones and started using Bowdarr. I have to say, I didn't really notice if things were dying a bit slower and he and I were virtually unkillable. I just made the priority keeping him alive and throwing out DPS moves every chance I got. I was able to use him to down the giant boss-level mobs on Voss even.