Battlemaster Gear is Gone in 1.6

CharterMonkKent

Of course they will. There is a new tier of gear coming out. Duh.

And how do the devs see this as a successful pvp model? You spend weeks/months grinding gear, only for it to be deleted or handed out at 1/3rd of the price with the next update, and then they make a NEW set for you to grind with a miniscule stat boost. Is everyone to retarded to see that this is not a healthy balance NOR a form a content?

I miss my sandbox SWG. This themepark mindless gear grind is just lulzy. I can't believe people like this style of gameplay.

And for the record, no I am not too lazy to grind. I just made my 5th level 50 last night and my other 4 chars are geared. I just am not fooled by this stupid gear grind model as a form of content like the rest of you seem to be.

I seriously, seriously hope this trend of making new suits and replacing old suits ends with this last update. This will not work if this continues.

I'm with you on that. It was so refreshing to play a game where you could have the stats you wanted on your gear by level 20, and then spend your time doing things that were actually fun.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the reward for people that grinded to WH? Seems like they're going to be discouraging a lot of players by retroactively punishing people that earned it.

Basically makes you feel like you wasted your time grinding the gear, because now people who didn't are just being handed what took you weeks/months to attain.

"It took you 2 weeks and 3,000 Ranked Comms (nearly 9k WZ Comms) to get that Gear? Cool story, bro! I just played 5 games and bought it for 1,000 WZ comms!"

:rolleyes:

Disinteresting I guess. Can't say I'm impressed on any scale- but I've always liked pvp which was more about skill than time spent grinding. If it's a smaller difference that's good- but it still ultimately means people who have more time get an advantage, which means the pvp is still not competitive.

Ah well. Nothing can be done about it. It's expected from games like this that gear is the most important thing, and time is the biggest factor in getting it. I don't see why BW is insisting on using this system when it is becoming increasingly unpopular along the majority of players.

Edited by fungihoujo

I hope BM gear becomes the new recruit gear or something haha, Recruit -> war hero is still horrible

Yes recruit is good and War hero used to be soooo much better than anything else. Now though.... Battlemaster MUST go in the place of recruit or else these forums will be filled up. Recruit gear wll not be to big of an issue for the good players but for many reg-sucky players it could be a source of many huge issues.

the grind is still there but the difference between the gear stats (aka gear gap) is substantially reduced. Someone did the math and it appears the gap between WH and EWH is at most 3.8% (if you focus enhancements to one stat). That is a significant improvement over the current gap between BM and WH. And maybe just as important... there will be only a short period of time between Recruit/BM and WH.

Does that make sense?

As one of those who "complains" about the gear gap, I'm delighted by the news. Don't mind the grind being rewarded with moderate boost in power but the gap is presently too great. This new gear structure, with EWH being moderately better than WH, together with the previous improvement to recruit gear is a welcome change. The devs said they would address this issue and I looks like they are delivering. We shall see the results as implemented, of course, but the news seems positive.

Not crazy about regrinding everything, of course, but with less of a gear gap to be competitive maybe it won't be as bad. Maybe it will lead to less matches being decided from the start by gear. Wild fantasies, I know. ;)

Where's the reward for people that grinded to WH? Seems like they're going to be discouraging a lot of players by retroactively punishing people that earned it.

:rolleyes:

you get to kick more *** before 1.6 comes, plus you have every WH piece you need to trade in for the EWH set, aka early advantage

by the time they have their WH set, you'll be in complete/near complete, optimized EWH gear

you get to kick more *** before 1.6 comes, plus you have every WH piece you need to trade in for the EWH set, aka early advantage

by the time they have their WH set, you'll be in complete/near complete, optimized EWH gear

no becuse i have to do the 3-1 ratio grind while they go 1-1....... i might have 3 or 4 EWH pieces by th time they get full wh....

my issue is with wh now being aquired via regular comms... and bypassing the 3-1 ratio grind i just had to go through to get my full wh set. in 1.6 all wh geared people get dropped down a level and everythng u just did is wiped, your essentially battle master again and u have to do it all over...... again

seems like im getting cheated out of MY TIME.. which being subcribed in any MMO means MY MONEY... to which i take great offense to...

At least someone here has figured out that this bait-and-switch uber gear regrind method is straight pathetic.

Anyone who likes this gear re-grind method for an MMO is a mindless mmo junkie. This isn't content, its a waste of life.

still a question for me is what happens to the Battlemaster gear one is actually wearing?

It will disappear? Or be "changed" into WH? I mean ON the character actually wearing it everyday.

Does the change meant that now one have to grind the WH as it was for BM and then again have more grind for Elite?

I'd have assumed it stays as is. I've still got Centurion armour dotted around various companions and some champion gear too.

It's still "in the game" just no longer obtainable.

Was most upset when I returned to PvP to find all my Centurion armour was for the most part worse than recruit.

Well actually I don't have any of the armor pieces. Just the implants/relics/Elite weapons (Weapon Master Sabers and Vindicator Offhand [for mods]).

The point I was trying to make is "Why continually play SWTOR?" If they are bending to every whim of the players so that gear progression is given out (And probably in the near future bought) why dedicate yourself to this game?"

I think this is one of the areas where Bioware are inexperienced with MMOs. They don't understand that if you make someone kill themselves to get something, then turn around and hand it out to all the newcomers for free, people are going to just start leaving.

Why pay each month and play frequently if you can just leave for 4 months and come back, buy all the repriced gear and be just as competitive as you would have been if you stuck around and paid $100 and played 300 hours?

Edited by QuietGoneJinn

no becuse i have to do the 3-1 ratio grind while they go 1-1....... i might have 3 or 4 EWH pieces by th time they get full wh....

so basically you'll still have the advantage of having more EWH pieces than the others... in the first couple of weeks at least. by the time they get full EWH yours is probably minmaxed already... and you get to enjoy WH advantage pre 1.6

If you have more than half of the WH pieces right now, might as well complete them

Otherwise, it would be better to wait for the next patch

Once 1.6 goes live the debate would be this:

Should you trade back all your rated wz comms to regular once 1.6 comes to get as much WH pieces or save them up for buying EWH since the difference is smaller

going for early augmented WH set vs slower augmented EWH... I'd personally go for early augmented WH but it won't be as cost-efficient as saving the ranked comms for EWH. not sure yet

Why pay each month and play frequently if you can just leave for 4 months and come back, buy all the repriced gear and be just as competitive as you would have been if you stuck around and paid $100 and played 300 hours?

To have fun?

If you have more than half of the WH pieces right now, might as well complete them

Otherwise, it would be better to wait for the next patch

Once 1.6 goes live the debate would be this:

Should you trade back all your rated wz comms to regular once 1.6 comes to get as much WH pieces or save them up for buying EWH since the difference is smaller

going for early augmented WH set vs slower augmented EWH... I'd personally go for early augmented WH but it won't be as cost-efficient as saving the ranked comms for EWH. not sure yet

On that last point: In 1.6, there is no reason to wait to augment any more if you have the cash because WH armoring mods carry the set bonus. Transfer your mods to your favorite orange gear and add your augments. Then when you grind the same EWH piece, transfer the mods again. Or you could augment the WH shell and transfer the EWH into that shell if you like the look of the WH shell. That's a welcome change from the BM days where the set bonus was tied to the shell and you could not augment until you had the WH piece unless you liked the look of the BM gear. Thanks, Devs!