[Huge economy exploit surfaces] - what will be BIOWARE's next move?

Chompski

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're aware of your concerns regarding this issue, and are conducting a full investigation of the impact. Please rest assured that anyone found to be in violation of our Terms of Service will have appropriate action taken against them. We will provide more information as it becomes available. Thank you!

Thank for the reassurance. I hope something is done about all the tainted currency. Frankly, even something as drastic as stripping accounts of all credits beyond 15 mil or so per server might be justifiable, if you can't track the tainted currency accurately enough to remove every credit.

Just reset all the characters on that account and put in a 14 day ban (or up to the point when the free play stops)

People know they are exploiting and tbh ignorance isnt an excuse "o sorry i didnt realise i was earning millions of credits". You will hear them scream or Waaaa i got my toon reset .

Also they can trace where all that money went just delete it from the game totally. And if your money were unfairly deleted then let them put your case forward for you to get the money back.

Those that exploited will keep quiet and the true victims will show that they sold something legitimatly without knowledge.

While I understand what the gripe was; people using slicing missions which gave a much higher reward than cost making it free money.... I'm unsure how this is the sole reason for a worry about the economy.

I have a jedi guardian,... synthweaving, archeology, and underworld trading. I played through the game and didn't waste my money buying crap off the AH for inflated prices because I either made my upgrades or got them as quest rewards. I trained every level and sold extra stuff on the ah simply for the price it automatically suggested it to sell for when you put it up. One thing I did do is run every mission and heroic I've come across at least once. I run green+ space mission quests everyday.

I'm currently level 39, my synthweaving is 367, archeology is 340, underworld trading is 325. I have all my training complete and I have about 1,400,000 credits. Yes, 1.4 million credits.

The game gives out credits like candy on Halloween. I fully expect it to look like SWG did when I played,... Pre NGE, Pre Combat Ugrade, in vanilla SWG my droid engineer had 80,000,000 credits before I gave it all away and quit.

Money is worthless in this game, think about credits as yen and have a nice day.

Edited by Madidus

What if the people that did this went and bought 100 things off the GTN? What are you going to do, take the money back from those who were selling?

It's probably not hard to see who gained that much money at once but reversing all of the implications may be impossible. What a mess.

Its sad to hear that a virtual economy such is the one for Swotor has had its share of illegally gained credits put into it.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of these "sellers" that appear on the auction house selling goods that they gained from credits they didnt earn with names such as MF Global or Goldman Sachs.

While I understand what the gripe was; people using slicing missions which gave a much higher reward than cost making it free money.... I'm unsure how this is the sole reason for a worry about the economy.

I have a jedi guardian,... synthweaving, archeology, and underworld trading. I played through the game and didn't waste my money buying crap off the AH for inflated prices because I either made my upgrades or got them as quest rewards. I trained every level and sold extra stuff on the ah simply for the price it automatically suggested it to sell for when you put it up. One thing I did do is run every mission and heroic I've come across at least once. I run green+ space mission quests everyday.

I'm currently level 39, my synthweaving is 367, archeology is 340, underworld trading is 325. I have all my training complete and I have about 1,400,000 credits. Yes, 1.4 million credits.

The game gives out credits like candy on Halloween. I fully expect it to look like SWG did when I played,... Pre NGE, Pre Combat Ugrade, in vanilla SWG my droid engineer had 80,000,000 credits before I gave it all away and quit.

Money is worthless in this game, think about credits as yen and have a nice day.

Congrats on your 1.4 million.

The exploiters made double that in 10minutes.

I'm lucky in a sense that i do not have enough time to play at a level where i would be affected by this problem. . .

I used to enjoy controlling item markets on other various MMOs, this was rather time consuming though. It was not an issue when i was in high school as i had plenty of time.

Now that i have graduated college and work a full time job, I have enough time to pvp a bit, quest a bit, craft a bit, and run 1-2 instances per day.

If i was still trying to maintain a stranglehold on various items in the aution house, i would be concerned as i would not be getting the prices i believe i deserved for my wares. As i mentioned before, however, i do not have the time, or really care, to be competitive in the market any more. I have been more than able to equipe my character with sufficient items, and credits, to be competitive with my peers.

So in summation; Bioware, Fix the problem (as im sure you are/have) and i got no problem with you. let the morons ruin their experience with the game by manufacturing credits, sounds like something a board 13 year old would do anyway, they got the time and want afterall. this is an expoit that would have never caught my eye, as i prefer to earn my way in MMOs, thats what makes the fun for me.

Great work Bioware. As always i think your doing a wonderful job on a new MMO, cant wait to see what the future holds for this game.

Since these actin happen in every singal MMO to date then what games has this killed?

WOW and LOTRO are not dead FFXIV as well.. Every one yells its killing the MMO when ( and bear in mind im not for gold selling. And in this game money is to easy to come by). Its not killing them in most cases its fueling the economy because down the road every thing will be BOA not counting the majority of crafted items.

The problem is the exploiters that weren't idiots were using a dummy account to generate millions of credits and spreading those credits to other accounts (guildmates, friends) in many small transfers. You can't ban people for receiving credits in the mail. They didn't exploit anything.

The damage is done, there is literally nothing BioWare can do to fix it.

That is completely incorrect. Databases are wonderful things.

I agree that exploiters are an issue, and need to be dealt with. The fact is, THIS is not what is hurting the economy of the game. There are too many cash sinks. That is the fault of BW. This also encourages the credit farmers to target this game. I too believe that exploiting the credits is wrong, but it's not going to kill this game. What will kill this game is not addressing actual gameplay issues, and having CS address people with problems in a timely, efficient, and correct manner. A small percentage of players spread out across multiple servers with billions of credits is not game-threatening. Sorry, it's just not.

Since everyone is calling this a beta then they should just fix the exploits and wipe the servers. Everyone starts with a clean slate.

Give everyone another free month and boosted exp rates for a while after the reset and I'll be down for it.

The exploit spoken of allowed people (using vendors/stacks) to earn unlimited amounts of credits at stupidly-fast rates. Notice an influx of super-speeders on your server, yet?

*Edit* I absolutely did not know about the exploit until I just read about it on Reddit a moment ago ... I didn't earn a penny, but all those fools need to be banned/credits revoked.

Agreed. I would love to see them do what CCP does...remove the amount earned through these ill-gotten means, even if means putting the individual into a negative balance. Doubt BW will be that harsh, but it would be nice to see.

I actually saw a youtube vid about this yesterday (through a discussion on another game forum where someone was bashing the game and used that as ammo) and sent in a bug report about it. I'd be very surprised though if they weren't aware of this issue due to other reports and/or the metrics they track.

I wanna be a billionaire so *********** bad

Buy all of the things I never had

I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine

Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen

Oh, every time I close my eyes

I see my name in shining lights

Yeah, a different city every night

Oh, I swear the world better prepare

For when I'm a billionaire

Yeah, I would have a show like Oprah I would be the host of

Everyday Christmas, give Travie your wish list

I'd probably pull an Angelina and Brad Pitt

And adopt a bunch of babies that ain't never had ****

Give away a few Mercedes, like here lady have this

And last but not least grant somebody their last wish

It's been a couple months since I've single so

You can call me Travie Claus minus the Ho Hos

Get it I'd probably visit where Katrina hit

And damn sure do a lot more than FEMA did

Yeah, can't forget about me, stupid

Everywhere I go I'ma have my own theme music

Oh every time I close my eyes

A different city every night

Oh oh, oh oh, for when I'm a Billionaire

Oh oh, oh oh

I'll be playing basketball with the President

Dunking on his delegates

Then I'll compliment him on his political etiquette

Toss a couple milli in the air just for the heck of it

But keep the fives, twenties, hiz and biz completely separate

And yeah I'll be in a whole new tax bracket

We in recession, but let me take a crack at it

I'll probably take whatever's left and just split it up

So everybody that I love can have a couple bucks

And not a single tummy around me would know what hungry was

Eating good, sleeping soundly

I know we all have a similar dream

Go in your pocket pull out your wallet, put it in the air and sing

Buy all of the things I never had

Uh, I wanna be on the cover of Forbes magazine

Smiling next to Oprah and the Queen

Oh, every time I close my eyes

A different city every night

When I'm a billionaire

Bans usually happen AFTER the exploits are all fixed.

You need to keep those players around long enough to log, and discover the method, in order to fix it.

If you got ton's of ill gotten gains then I would bet that your account is flagged, and there keeping a close eye on you. Once the exploit is patched, they should at the very least wipe out the account and make them start over.

My answer - temp/permabans and account cleanups

I don't think that what happened now influences game economy in the long run, due to game being too new and economy not being fully 'operational' so to speak. However I do think exploits that influence global economy are TOP priority long-term. Especially since this game has so many credit sinks for common player.

you sir have no idea how much these exploit affect everyone ingame. EVERYONE! The economy is so RUINED it will never be as intended anymore, at least if the numbers of money which was generated by these exploiters are true. they have to punish those people so it hurts and delete all the money which is in circulation from their exploiting.

Hate to tell you this...the economy was pretty much ruined from launch and it wasn't due to exploiters...it was due to bad design.

That being said those who were exploiting the game should be punished, however I would hardly consider what they did game breaking for the SWTOR community. There's much bigger monsters causing economy havoc.

Hate to tell you this...the economy was pretty much ruined from launch and it wasn't due to exploiters...it was due to bad design.

That being said those who were exploiting the game should be punished, however I would hardly consider what they did game breaking for the SWTOR community. There's much bigger monsters causing economy havoc.

I disagree. I have seen what duping exploits have done to economis since days of Ultima Online, and there is no greater detriment to the viritual economy than this.