Poll: What do you think about the new changes made to global cooldown UI in 1.1.2?

JovethGonzalez

What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2  

3,457 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the new changes made to the global cooldown UI in Patch 1.1.2

• They're good!
    • They're terrible!
    • I don't care either way.

Wow, does this guy actual believe the words comming from his mouth. When you said it was psychosomatic you were clearly implying a negative connotation. Anything you say now to the contrary is just backpedalling and a lie.

I'll admit my original statement was regrettably phrased in a way that could be perceived as "snark". For that I do apologize.

But what may I ask does me being negative or positive have to do with what you quoted?

I was disputing definition, and what was actually said, not with what connotation it was said.

One might think you were angry with me, and arguing out of personal grudge, and not actual disagreement at this point...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks,

We recently implemented a change to the global cooldown UI with Patch 1.1.2 and we realize that it has been a hot topic here in the Forums. In an effort to prioritize any new changes to the UI, we wanted to poll the community on their opinion of the current global cooldown UI. Please vote in the poll above! As a reminder, please only vote with the cooldown UI changes in mind.

i actually see no differance in the cooldown timer. apart from the visual display which has no effect lol

I'll admit my original statement was regrettably phrased in a way that could be perceived as "snark". For that I do apologize.

But what may I ask does me being negative or positive have to do with what you quoted?

I was disputing definition, and what was actually said, not with what connotation it was said.

One might think you were angry with me, and arguing out of personal grudge, and not actual disagreement at this point...

I'm saying that your original comment wasn't misperceived as snark. I'm saying it was fully intended to be snark and you are just backpeddaling and lying now.

And I am making my statements because of all three:

I am angry with you.

I do disagree with you when you say your orginal intent was not snark.

And I do have a grudge now against you because in my mind you are a liar.

It is pointless to continue this discussion though. Because ultimately you will just deny it meant to being snark, and I will disagree with you again.

Edited by Thesseract

I dont see what the problem is. I swear some of you wil complain no matter what. I guess maybe you are all clickers staring at your action bars all the time maybe? I dont. I keybind everything. I like the new look because I can tell with my peripheral vision when the GCD is up.

The negative connocation being that the symptoms are not induced by the game but our own creation and thus do not merit as much attention by Bioware.

That is largely what I'm saying yes..

I am saying that I believe that some of the people complaining are overreacting, to involved, and in some cases playing up what is going on, to the point that they are experiencing symptoms.

Not saying everyone is, not saying you specifically are, but that in my opinion some people are overreacting.

Hey BioWare,

It's not a matter of taste here. The real issue at hand is that it is physically making people ill (be it headache, eyeball ache, and nausea), whereas this did NOT happen before your new UI change.

The clear cause is the UI that we need to be able to either keep with your new, rather inane changes, or revert back to the original UI.

The fact that your game now makes people ill and unable to play is terrible. The fact that it has not been hotfixed when there is such an uproar is even worse.

Please address the real issue at hand, and not this "Like" or "Dislike" idea you've gotten lodged in your heads.

This is utter bull. YOu mean to tell me that explosions, swirly twirly lightsaber combat, flying, leaping, strafing, running, jumping, etc does not make people feel ill, but tiny boxes with a slow grey fill animation does?

Edited by Wekeltes

I dont see what the problem is. I swear some of you wil complain no matter what. I guess maybe you are all clickers staring at your action bars all the time maybe? I dont. I keybind everything. I like the new look because I can tell with my peripheral vision when the GCD is up.

You clearly have not read of of the previous posts.

1. The constant flashing has been giving some people headaches, feeling nausious etc.

2. Some people just find it annoying.

3. While the GCD is up it is now difficult to tell which abilities are off cooldown such that knowing what ability to queue prior to the GCD being up is now impossible. Most of us knew implicitly when the GCD was up because we had queued an ability to already go of the moment the GCD is up. We are not clickers. We do not stare constantly at our actions bars. We just like to use the action bars to recognize when proc abilities are available so we can queue them up before the GCD cooldown is up. If you wait until the GCD is up to select an ability you are losing time. For example if it takes 50ms to recognize and select an ability once the GCD is up and you have 50 ms ping, there is now an 100ms difference between when the abilit will execute versus someone who had queued the ability.

Edited by Thesseract

You clearly have not read of of the previous posts.

1. The constant flashing has been giving some people headaches, feeling nausious etc.

2. Some people just find it annoying.

3. While the GCD is up it is now difficult to tell which abilities are off cooldown such that knowing what ability to queue prior to the GCD being up is now impossible. Most of us knew implicitly when the GCD was up because we had queued an ability to already go of the moment the GCD is up. We are not clickers. We do not stare constantly at our actions bars. We just like to use the action bars to recognize when proc abilities are available so we can queue them up before the GCD cooldown is up.

I dont need to read all the posts. I PLAY THE GAME! I have seen the new animations. I have compared to the old. Verdict = Much better than before.

I dont need to read all the posts. I PLAY THE GAME! I have seen the new animations. I have compared to the old. Verdict = Much better than before.

So you didn't bother reading the other posts and decided to just come on here and say "I don't see what the problem is" without even trying to understand what the problem is. Nice.

So you didn't bother reading the other posts and decided to just come on here and say "I don't see what the problem is" without even trying to understand what the problem is. Nice.

Saying you like the changes is one thing.

Saying that you don't see a problem so there must not be one is just ignorant.

I gotta stop accidently quoting myself instead of editing my last post. Sorry.

Edited by Thesseract

In my opinion, the changes were a net plus but could be better. My notes:

1. Overall, the UI feels too flashy and shiny.
  2. I find it difficult to determine when an ability is coming off cooldown while the global flash is occurring.

Unrelated to GCD, I hope to see tweaks to Resolve next because the indicator is very misleading. I always hear players complain how it doesn't work when, in reality, it does work but the stun they're experiencing was applied before their resolve bar was full. Players typically get in a stun and then glance over at the resolve bar and see it full and go "***?". It might make sense to adjust the value displayed in the Resolve bar after the stun effect is gone. This would also address an issue where a player's full Resolve bar starts diminishing while they're in a stun.

LOL. Like I said, I play the game. I see it with my own eyes. I dont need to read every post by every crying complainer on the forums. I understand ppl are saying the flashing is annoying. There is a certain type of personality that will complain regardless of what is done. I certainly hope Bioware does not start catering to them because they are here in very large numbers and once they get their way once it will never end.

The complaints about the new cooldown animations are not valid. They serve the purpose they were designed for: to clearly show what abilitis are on CD.

ug..

This is what was originally said:

Gryhmr clearly states that I was saying that people were "imagining symptoms" And that is not what having a psychosomatic illness means. So no, that is not exactly what I said, that is in fact not remotely what I said. It's not even what you said...

Symptoms caused by psychosomatic illness are very real, please do not imply otherwise.

I will thank you to not presume to know my motivations for posting, as I was giving my honest opinion. Further more I will thank you to not put words in my mouth, as I never said "everyone", and in fact later clarified that I did not mean everyone.

I respectfully disagree. This IS what you said:

I have two words that explain it: psychosomatic illness.

I apologize if you feel I am putting words in your mouth, this is not my intention. All one can presume from that original statement is that you believe that people's physical effects are not caused by the UI issue but by a "psychosomatic illness".

Let me clarify, I was not responding to Gryhmr's response but to your original words. And that is my fault for not clarifying it. So, I won't drag this thread down anymore. That's your stance, so be it. I believe otherwise.

Edited by aharoncagle

LOL. Like I said, I play the game. I see it with my own eyes. I dont need to read every post by every crying complainer on the forums. I understand ppl are saying the flashing is annoying. There is a certain type of personality that will complain regardless of what is done. I certainly hope Bioware does not start catering to them because they are here in very large numbers and once they get their way once it will never end.

The complaints about the new cooldown animations are not valid. They serve the purpose they were designed for: to clearly show what abilitis are on CD.

How about you actual address my point #3 on the previous post I made. The new cooldown animations are not an improvement in that regard. Yes, they fixed one thing (knowing exactly when your cd's are available) but they created other problems. Open your eyes and stop being so shortsighted.

To summarize: yes the new UI fixed a problem that you and many others had.

But it also created problems for lot's of people.

Edited by Thesseract

After feeling like being thrown a flashbang each time I pressed a key, I'm slowly beginning to get used to it (no real choice atm...), but still don't get the change, and would gladly go back with the original.

The old one was OK : the GCD was perfectly visible, the available skills and unavailable also, and more so, because there was not such a high contrast between the GCD progress animation and the real content inside.

It's a bit like driving by night without any other lightning than your car and the other you cross.

I guess people who love the new GCD really had trouble seeing the cooldown with the old one, otherwise I don't see the advantage of praising the new one, hmm... except maybe for its dancefloor style ? (hopefully, some flashing sidebars and a big beat sound each time the GCD activate will be released as an addon in some future...)

How about you actual address my point #3 on the previous post I made. The new cooldown animations are not an improvement in that regard. Yes, they fixed one thing (knowing exactly when your cd's are available) but they created other problems. Open your eyes and stop being so shortsighted.

Methinks you rely to much on looking at your buttons. I rarely need to look. Maybe I am just really good at timing them in my head. For me the changes are great because I can clearly see when GCD is over peripherally. It saves me from hitting a button too soon.

I guess to bridge the skill gap to service less skilled players, the bar could be cartoon-ized even more and made in primary colors only. Maybe instead of looking at buttons, a giant text banner could pop up and say something like "USE SLASH NOW!". Then, if you dont hit it, the game could take over and hit it for you. But, ppl would then complain that the text of the banner is giving them headaches because it is written in Helvetica and not Comic Sans.

ROFL you wrote LOL.

With all due respect it is very obviously that you do not have understood the game

mechanics prior to the patch according to your statements. Consequently you are in no

position to understand how the last patch has changed the mechanics.

Login in to a game does not prove any understanding.

Same as writing does not prove reason.

In short for you (this is the part in which you need to pay attention):

1. Press 1 an GCD and CD is activated

2. Press 2 an GCD is activated, also on 1 which has still CD

3. It is not possible to say while GCD of 2 overrides CD animation of 1 if 1 is available or not when GCD 2 animation is finished

Since advance playing requires about 5 CD with 5-10 GCD you have lost overview

after 3-5 GCD completely.

Not to mention the Christmas tree effect when after pressing 1 about 25

none used abilities have been highlighted which have had nothing to do with

the action at all.

Edited by Isathrea

I respectfully disagree. This IS what you said:

I apologize if you feel I am putting words in your mouth, this is not my intention. All one can presume from that statement is that you believe that people's physical effects are not caused by the UI issue but by a "psychosomatic illness".

I did my best to explain myself, but I think you have not read all of posts I, and others have made on the subject and are just jumping in the middle of it to argue.

I say this because in proper context your posts make no sense. You will have to forgive me if I decline further discourse with you.

hence our ongoing development and expansion of UI options.

This! Options are king. You can do anything with the UI so long as there are options to turn it off, choose between different modes, visual styles etc. You cannot have enough options, and should consider, for all future UI changes, adding all new variants of existing system as an option, with the option to keep it in the previous style.

Methinks you rely to much on looking at your buttons. I rarely need to look. Maybe I am just really good at timing them in my head. For me the changes are great because I can clearly see when GCD is over peripherally. It saves me from hitting a button too soon.

I guess to bridge the skill gap to service less skilled players, the bar could be cartoon-ized even more and made in primary colors only. Maybe instead of looking at buttons, a giant text banner could pop up and say something like "USE SLASH NOW!". Then, if you dont hit it, the game could take over and hit it for you. But, ppl would then complain that the text of the banner is giving them headaches because it is written in Helvetica and not Comic Sans.

I glance down at my buttons to recognize procs and priority abilities. Even If a giant banner appeared I would still have to glance to make sure that "slash" is off cd now, that I have enough rage, force, etc. I suspect you just mash your buttons, without prioritizing, or play only a single character such that timings and rotations have been carved into your brain.

Bottom line is the action bar in its current state does not provide the information it should be providing.

ROFL you wrote LOL.

With all due respect it is very obviously that you do not have understood the game

mechanics prior to the patch according to your statements. Consequently you are in no

position to understand how the last patch has changed the mechanics.

Login in to a game does not prove any understanding.

Same as writing does not prove reason.

In short for you (this is the part in which you need to pay attention):

1. Press 1 an GDC and CD is activated

2. Press 2 an GDC is activated, also on 1 which has still CD

3. It is not possible to say while GCD of 2 overrides CD animation of 1 if 1 is available or not when GDC 2 animation is finished

Since advance playing requires about 5 CD with 5-10 GDC you have lost overview

after 3-5 GDC completely.

Not to mention the Christmas tree effect when after pressing 1 about 25

none used abilities have been highlighted which have had nothing to do with

the action at all.

This is what I understand:

I am having no issues.

You are because you are unable to adapt.

The end.

This is what I understand:

I am having no issues.

You are because you are unable to adapt.

The end.

It's not about adapting. It's about the cooldown bar 1. causing headaches, 2. being annoying, and 3. not providing the information it should be providing.

For people with problem 3 only, they can still clearly play. Just the new bar is not providing the information it should be.

As an analagy. I'm sure people could learn to play without any action bar showing, but it would be suboptimal.

Let me ask you this. What class do you play, do you have proc abilities? How do you recognize when proc abilities are available. Unless you can comment on your experience with every class then please stop posting.

Edited by Thesseract

Heh. For all your professed skill, you still have to rely on your peripheral vision to know when the GCD is over? It's an effect that occurs nearly every time you execute a skill, and it always has a constant 1.5 second duration. Are you that bad of a player that you can't time that interval in your head? Moreover, is your eyesight so poor that you need a giant flashing sign at the bottom of your screen to notify you that the GCD is over? After all, since you love the new GCD look, that is clearly what you are indicating.

Your eagerness to gloat has blinded you to the crux of the matter that is being discussed.