The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I love this thread. I often visit and read your work. We really appreciate the support you give and the contribution you make to the community.

I ask you, as a fan fiction author myself, to please keep it going! :jawa_smile:

Eee, thanks! :D

I wish I could! Unfortunately, since I am an employee I can't. But I will continue to read your work and respond when I can! :jawa_biggrin:

Good to see you around. I figured we were just hanging out unsupervised in the corner entertaining ourselves :p

Bright - Vierce!!! And god, Elara is just awesome :D Gutsy indeed.

Ves - Another SW, and a sweetheart by the looks of it. Poor thing :p Seriously though, very cute.

Will catch up and comment in a bit.

Enemies gave me a chance to finish writing a long-abandoned passage. I was going to delay this 'til I had written through Vierce's Alderaan and Balmorra but it just isn't flowing. This comes after the long-ago Worlds Colliding scene on Balmorra. It takes place toward the end of Balmorra, after some fragile friendly functioning but before he really notices her. (It occurs very shortly after the Nar Shaddaa resupply run during which the Cross Faction AU splits off.) No game spoilers. 2100 words.

There's a paragraph of overlapping material (just recapping that he submits some paperwork before bed) between the old scene and this one.

I filled out the form before I went to sleep. One request for transfer, right then and there. It was stupid, but what the hell else could I do? I couldn't be near her and I couldn't sabotage her career just because I didn't like her. I submitted the request and then lay down knowing it was going to be a rough night.

The holocall woke me up mid-yell. Just another nightmare. I coughed a little, pulled on a halfway presentable shirt, and rubbed my neck in a doomed attempt to ease the tension there while I answered.

"Captain Savins, what is this?" snapped General Garza.

"General, sir. That's a request to transfer out of Havoc Squad, sir."

"Why are you wasting my time with this joke?"

"It isn't a joke, sir. Lieutenant Jorgan is perfectly qualified to step up to command. I think my talents would best be used elsewhere."

"If you're doing this to complain about Sergeant Dorne again…"

"It's not a complaint, sir. But I can't perform under fire when she's around. That's a reflection on me, not her. I'll be better off next to someone who doesn't have an Imperial background."

"Stop being ridiculous. I will not tolerate you discarding the mission over a personal preference."

"This isn't a preference! I don't know what's going to happen if…if something happens at the wrong time."

"If you require psychological assistance for your situation it will be arranged, but you're not going anywhere, Savins."

"'Psychological assistance' won't save my people in the field."

"No. You will. Now you have work to do, Captain, and I expect to see results. That's all there is to it." The holo winked out.

I stood there for a second letting my vision blur. Garza wasn't going to let me out. I was seriously expected to willpower my way through this. The only decent fair way out was getting closed for no good reason.

I went back to bed. The nightmares might be easier to face than the alternative.

I split Dorne off with M1-4X for the day's operations. I pushed hard through the mission, found other things to do, pushed hard through them, too. Jorgan kept up every step of the way. Finally we turned homeward.

"Jorgan," I said. "Don't come after me. Keep her away from me. Tell Forex, too. If something comes up, you have the command." I went right to my quarters. I wasn't hungry, and there was no point washing up when I knew I wouldn't feel clean anyway.

I sat on the edge of the bed, buried my face in my hands, and tried not to think.

When the door opened I knew it was her. She stepped in and let it fall shut. There were two things running in my head just then, like there had been ever since the first time I told myself I had to treat her with some minimum of respect. Part of me felt horrible about doing this to someone who had earned her place here. Part of me wanted to snap her Imperial neck.

"Everyone on this ship had orders to keep you away," I said.

"Sir, you're needed. Permission to speak?"

"Denied, Sergeant."

"Our mission is urgent and we can't continue like this. No outside mediation can arrive or act fast enough. This has to be resolved here."

"Or you could just keep talking. This may be the first time I've ever seen you disobey orders."

"When the matter is important enough, I'm left with no choice." I heard her shifting a little. "I've done it before."

As in defecting. I looked up at her. She was giving me this defiant stare. "Well then," I said, since getting rid of her wasn't going to happen. "What do you have to say?"

"I served under Moff Brannick," she said steadily. "He was a monster. He did a great deal of damage himself, but he also liked to order other people to do…just, cruelty for cruelty's sake."

"I know all that," I said roughly.

"I know it, too. I made an effort to report his crimes, but those reports were ignored. Everyone said he was too powerful; what they meant was, nobody more powerful than him cared. It was one of his cronies that started closing in on me, questioning my dedication to the Empire because of my objections. It was the knowledge that sometime soon I would be directly ordered to act against my conscience that finally drove me to defect." She looked away. "I already know what would have been asked. I won't talk about it."

"Suits me. You never tell me about that. I never tell you what he did to my people. Shutting up is what makes this work." I kept leaning my arms on my knees and I hung my head to cover my face again. "Stars. I'm sorry, Dorne. I can't do it. I've tried, but I can't. Just knowing you were around them, talking to them. My chest's about to explode. I don't know what to do anymore apart from putting in for a transfer, and that just got denied."

"Denied?" she said. She sounded…well, upset. "Captain, if anyone were to transfer out of the situation, I would expect–"

"There's enough people out there who would wreck your career for who you are. I won't be one of them. I can't do much but I can offer that. Jorgan could step up here and he'd do right by you, but that avenue's been closed off."

Things were quiet for a few moments.

"Dorne?" I said.

"Yes, sir?"

"Why haven't you filed a complaint against me yet?"

There was a long pause. She must have considered it. Was she just afraid to make waves?

"We were doing well, sir," she said slowly.

"I was being slightly less of a bastard."

"We get the job done, sir. Havoc Squad has been succeeding in all of its objectives. Besides which you have always made an effort to keep your feelings from contaminating your decisions."

My laugh came out as a bitter bark. "If you're going to take up lying you should practice with smaller ones first."

"You've made the effort," she insisted. "You arranged my brother's safe passage on Nar Shaddaa. You took the early steps to handle Personnel Division's doubts about my assignment when you could easily have let me hang. Those aren't the actions of an abusive authority. Matters are sometimes difficult, yes. But when it comes down to it you treat me with the same fairness I've seen you extend to others. That…that means quite a lot."

I looked up at her. When I was looking at her I couldn't hate her. "You risk your neck out there. You've earned better. If I were any kind of leader I would just deal with…knowing. You do good work. I respect you. It isn't fair of me to ask you to erase twenty-something years of your life just because I can't handle it." I blinked hard. "I hate that I can't handle it."

"Sir," she said, after a while. "Do you believe I'm on your side?"

Imperial, I thought. Like I just heard. Decorated in their service. She had been in the room with Moff Brannick, saluted him, taken his orders.

She had also fought shoulder to shoulder with me. She had done so well here.

They valued her there, too.

I shook myself back to looking at her face. She was still waiting for an answer. She looked hurt. Not the wounded but steady firmness she usually took on when someone gave her grief. This was different. Plain, open hurt, getting worse every second. "Yes," I told her. "Everything I've ever seen of you backs that up. You're with us now."

She nodded. A second later she said "You're aware that I trained at the officers' academy on Dromund Kaas. I qualified for medical specialization in my final studies there. As soon as I had completed that I was assigned to the front lines. At any given time the Empire is embroiled in a thousand conflicts on a thousand worlds. This was the defense of our home, the duty every citizen was called to."

I stayed quiet. If I opened my mouth I would only end up doing something stupid.

"There was no choice in serving; it's compulsory for every able-bodied citizen of Dromund Kaas. So I trained. And I served. I thought it was war to be waged as civilized people wage it. So far as we knew the cause was right; the Republic was composed of genocidal hypocrites, their establishments corrupt, their influence utterly destructive. So we were told." She pushed a few strands of hair that had come loose back behind her ear and then met my eye. "It is difficult to get an accurate idea of how the other side does things when all you see of the other side is the blaster fire."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"Because, sir. I have never known you to do the wrong thing once you've been confronted with the truth." Her gaze was perfectly steady and I couldn't manage to look away from it. "That's one of the reasons I stay. If what troubles you is what you're forced to guess about my past it's better that I disclose what did happen."

"I…" I had to cough a little to clear a sudden thickness in my throat. "I see."

"Despite all I had been told about the Republic, I was forced to wonder whether it would be better than a system in which unquestioned obedience to leaders such as Moff Brannick was both expected and enforced. I expect that my very presence here tells you what I ultimately decided on."

I nodded.

"Most of the Imperials I knew weren't bad people. But the system was open to abuse. When stepping out of line invited a quick death at best, one corrupt person in charge of drawing the line could do a great deal of damage. As Brannick did. And as others did. That's why I left and that's why I fight for our side now."

I wished I could think faster, sort through the mess of confusion and hurt and disgust and, well, this feeling that I'd been thoroughly humbled. It was a lot to process. Too much, but I had to try for her sake if not for my own.

It finally occurred to me that she, standing in front of me, couldn't possibly know which way I would jump on this. She'd laid it all out anyway. Even though she shouldn't have had to defend her existence in the first place.

"Dorne," I said slowly, "you are one hell of a human being."

"I only do what my responsibilities call for, sir." There was almost a shy tinge to it, but not a bad one. It was a relief and then some to hear her sounding something other than miserable.

"This was above and beyond and you know it. Thanks. You shouldn't have had to come explain anything, but...thanks. You've got to be the bravest person I ever met." I smiled a little in spite of myself. "The defection was pretty gutsy, too."

She returned the smile. And then she saluted. "I hope this helps, sir."

"It already did." I stood to return the salute. Stars knew she'd earned the respect. "Good night, Sergeant."

Jorgan was standing at a poor simulacrum of ease around the corner. He was pretending to read a datapad. His other hand loosely held a riot stick.

Sergeant Dorne rounded the corner and raised an eyebrow. "Sergeant, when I finally prevailed upon you to let me pass, I didn't mean for you to post a guard."

Jorgan set the datapad aside and gave her a wary yellow look. "He's gone off before." He raised an illustrative hand to his jaw.

"He'll do the right thing if you just show him the truth."

"I know," said Jorgan. "But sometimes the truth doesn't move as fast as his fist."

"He wouldn't." She frowned. "If you were worried enough to prepare to incapacitate him, I should think you would have reported him by now."

"I didn't think I would have to. He's decent most of the time, he gets the job done, and before today you were never crazy enough to go after him when he gets like this. Besides, even if I did try to take him off duty. Garza never seemed open to changing the arrangement."

Dorne looked back at Vierce's door. "No. She wasn't."

He took a moment to digest that statement. Then: "Are we good to work tomorrow?"

"Yes."

"Him too?"

"Him too. In fact, I think things may improve a great deal."

Jorgan looked curiously at Dorne, then over towards Vierce's quarters. "All right then," he said, and padded away.

Garza comes off as something of a psychopath in her managerial style if the Trooper makes a habit of DS decisions. Her response to all horrible doings is "CONTINUE OPERATING. FOR THE REPUBLIC. SCREW ETHICAL CONCERNS."

You can't actually ask to be relieved of duty, but I imagine the request would be received roughly as well as seen here.

Dorne is the gutsiest woman. Ever.

I avoided the ultraviolence and coercion for now. Oh, and BH spoilers. And...that really cuts down on the latest reading material. But, welcome to the thread, meanken!

@EverSteam, on your earlier Leer piece...poor Torian. But I guess if anybody can take a wild wounded creature like that it's him.

@Ves, a fantastic art opportunity for A'tro: bracing against the whole of a Tatooine sandstorm.

@kabe, I sort of wanted to slap Scourge for even starting to talk about Remi. But it all worked out in the end :)

@Selentar, loved the early imagery of Xareen'alay's call to Xania. I love Xania's dismissive attitude, too: “Well, it had to come from somewhere. Parents, the environment, the suns of Tatooine. It does not matter. All that matters is that I have it...”

ahaha, @Miriah...I shouldn't laugh at you. But, hon, you really need to sleep. (And Mags, I'm delighted to see you back!)

@Tatile, your sunrise short was exquisite. That's entirely too short a descriptor but I think it about sums it up. Loved the colors, Broan's thoughts, all of it. I see I didn't respond to your earlier Turning Point story. This is probably because I was speechless. I'd like to identify what I so much loved about it because specific praise is good, but just...every time you show us the inside of Broan's head the perspective is wonderful, and Talan makes a wonderful foil to Ashari, and the images of that grimy lonely place, and the last line, all just came together perfectly.

@Ves (again), the contrast between Vette's impression and Tessa's had me in stitches. “Uh, did I miss some kind of cause for happiness back there?” Also, IA = instant hook for me, it seems. :o

@Ms. Woods, the very thought that some actual BW representative reads this tempts me to go back and replace all text with some kind of legal disclaimer/apology for abusing the IP so horribly. But, thanks for the kind words! :)

As for Vierce!verse, Elara Dorne is the kind to work out what's right and do it. Within established channels if possible. If it isn't she'll find better established channels. She's just absolutely, fearlessly principled. And yes I'm a tremendous Dorne fangirl. Come on, Vierce, catch up with me here.

Another scene I wrote first and prompt-fit after. It's sort of relevant to NotLP: Communication Breakdown. Vierce!verse, no plot spoilers because yay, personal drama can stand independent of plot at times! (Oh, wait, scraps of spoiler for the existence of the Trooper's Balmorra quest and one Republic Balmorra quest.) 600 words.

I could reasonably call the following morning "awkward". Seems it always is after I talk to Dorne. At least there hadn't been tranquilizers clouding the issue this time.

There hadn't been nightmares, either. Huh.

She greeted me in the mess with a few quiet words and I answered in kind. At least she was friendly. Good. I hadn't completely wrecked things. Jorgan was mostly quiet, too. He just watched us both.

Fine. I could use the time to sort things out, anyway. Even if I didn't have words for a thought process there was still a lot moving in the back of my head. The three of us just set about prepping our separate breakfasts. I kept my mouth shut, in part to let things process, in part on the principle that if I didn't say anything I couldn't make anything worse.

M1-4X was waiting for us in the briefing room after. Not much for me to say; we had all been together for every effort and briefing so far on this planet. "All right. We're going straight to Gorinth Canyon today to help the locals crack that prison. I'll be waiting to pick up on our friend Tanno Vik when he gets around to contacting us, whenever that is. We ready to go?"

As always M1-4X was the first to answer. "I am always ready to further the cause of democracy in the galaxy, sir!"

"Then let's do that."

I hung behind, though, in the holo room, after Jorgan and M1-4X left the ship. Dorne loitered for a few seconds in the briefing room. Maybe she was expecting the place to be empty when she did get to the holo room; she stopped short when she saw me.

We talked both at once. I said "Have I apologized yet? Because I owe you one." at the same time she said "Sir, if there's some clarification that…"

We both cut off. I looked at her. She looked at me.

"I'm sorry," I said. "About just, everything. This whole time I've been a terrible commander and squad mate, and there's no excuse for it."

She opened her mouth. Stopped. She was probably trying to think of a polite way to phrase what a jack*ss I am. "Thank you," she said instead. "I'm quite ready to work together going forward if you are."

"Yeah. Definitely."

"Good." Her voice was a little too loud.

"Good." That still didn't seem like nearly enough. "…I am sorry." I could feel my face flushing.

She huffed a little. "Acknowledged and understood, sir. Really, there's no call for uneasiness from here."

Oh, there was every call for it. "Yeah," I said. "You sure you're okay?" After I, you know, tried to rip you to pieces over your background and existence?

Her eyes widened some. "Yes, I'm fine. I think the conversation was necessary. That more than offsets any…that is, are you?" There was a note of the medic's concern in it.

"Yeah." I looked away, in part to ease the tension in my neck. "Let's just get back to work then, huh?"

"Right away, sir."

So I got moving. Well, that was brilliantly said. She must think I'm a jack*ss and an idiot. I guess I've earned both.

It was easier when we got going. We knew our jobs, that was one thing we never compromised for things like flaming hatred. It was easier when we were at something I knew how to do, and it spared me having to make eye contact most of the time.

Sorry, Vierce, but sometimes you're really awkward.

"Acknowledged and understood" makes me want to write a fic in which Elara speaks entirely in Imperial Agent lines. No good reason, it's just tempting.

Edited by bright_ephemera

Prompt: Enemies, Rivals, and Nemeses

First fic I've ever wrote for, well, anything, so constructive critisism would be welcomed appreciated! I like getting introspective with my characters so not a lot of dialogue in this one. Slight allusions to child abuse, nothing that serious. Pre-chapter 1 BH. Some advice on formatting would also be nice, it's one of my fatal flaws. 586 words.

He wasn’t like him.

He only hurt people who volunteered to be hurt.

Was he like him?

Kouhun dispensed with his troubling thoughts as a gloved hand impacted upon his shoulder.

“Get in there, kid!” his master said, a gloved tooth twinkling in his mouth as he grinned excitedly.

Kouhun grimaced in disgust and rose off the rusty metal bench. He was on Nar Shaddaa, the seedy city-world, in one of the slave fighting pits; just one atrocity of many hidden away from the eye of the Republic government that was obviously there.

As Kouhun began warming up for the fights to come, his Rattataki tattoos glistening with sweat, he contemplated his earlier musings. Was abusing a child any different than abusing an opponent so easily physically inferior to oneself? Realizing that the next fight would soon be starting, the large alien shook away his conflicting emotions and walked down the blood-stained corridor to the arena.

Beings from all parts of the galaxy sat or stood in the dirty stands above, not one of them pure. A smorgasbord of corruption, Kouhun thought in contempt as he turned his attention from the hooting and cheering audience to his opponent, a scarred and obviously enhanced Houk.

Kilaht was the name of this Houk on steroids, and Kouhun had heard it rumored that Kilaht’s master was thinking of entering him into the Great Hunt.

The Rattataki knew little of Mandalorian culture; a bad flaw as he saw it.

Kouhun had been a teacher before being enslaved, but not in Mandalorian culture; math had been his specialty, although he couldn’t see what practical application it would have in the slave pits.

Whatever the Great Hunt entailed, it had to be better than beating crooks to within an inch of their life on the whims of smarter crooks.

His face an unreadable mask, our hero calmly approached the hulking Houk.

“Little baby man come to die?” his opponent barked, spittle flying from his gaping maw.

Wordlessly, Kouhun sprang into action.

Kicking up sand to blind his foe, he then flanked him and leaped at the Houk’s tree-trunk legs.

Blinded and angry, his nemesis began flailing in all directions, landing not a single blow to his desired target. Meanwhile, Kouhun had located a weak spot in the seemingly impenetrable limbs; a little-known anatomy fact about Houks was their weak rear ankles, an advantage that could be exploited to great benefit if the attacker somehow got past a front-facing Houk.

Jabbing with his large hands, Kouhun got his enemy to his knees within a minute, and on his back within another. He was not done, though; to be beaten in these slave ring fights, you had to end up truly beaten. He hated this part. Grimacing, Kouhun straddled his foe and began punching. Teeth and blood flew as Kilaht yelled, cursed and howled and Kouhun worked. After he was done, our hero rose silently and stepped back from his broken nemesis, and began the slow walk back to his pen amid cries of joy and hatred from the crowd. Food, waste, even some credits flew at him, but he just let it bounce off him during his march.

Kouhun stopped as he reached the entrance back into the bloody hallway and looked back at Kilaht’s unmoving form. The Houk wouldn’t be fighting anyone for quite a long time; a slave’s master did not usually waste credits on things such as kolto and bandages. Sighing deeply, Kouhun continued to his pen and his thoughts.

Edited by Mrtwo

Mrtwo, welcome to the thread!

First of all, for formatting, the way we conserve space on the thread is with the spoiler tags, [.spoiler] at the beginning and [./spoiler] at the end of the story text. Remove the periods from those tags to apply them. You can also apply spoiler tags by selecting the text and pressing the pale grey cloud/cog button at the far right of the lower row of formatting icons.

You really got the dirt of Nar Shaddaa (two d's), both material and social. I like it.

Mrtwo, welcome to the thread!

First of all, for formatting, the way we conserve space on the thread is with the spoiler tags, [.spoiler] at the beginning and [./spoiler] at the end of the story text. Remove the periods from those tags to apply them. You can also apply spoiler tags by selecting the text and pressing the pale grey cloud/cog button at the far right of the lower row of formatting icons.

You really got the dirt of Nar Shaddaa (two d's), both material and social. I like it.

Fixed it.

Thanks for the name correction, was going to check that on Wookieepedia but forgot before posting it.

I love how every planet in Star Wars has a different feel and tone much like different countries do here on our planet and am glad I can succesfully capture that in writing.

Edited by Mrtwo

First off, welcome to the thread, Mrtwo! I look forward to hearing how a former math teacher approaches the Great Hunt. Interesting idea.

@ Magdlane: Corso tries so hard. Risha, you’re only sort of helping. ;) You’re right, some enemies can’t be left behind.

@ Tatile: Broan’s memory of the first time he saw the sun and his interpretation of it was brilliant. That it might be a threat at first, then becoming a special memory. Absolutely brilliant.

"There was no choice in serving; it's compulsory for every able-bodied citizen of Dromund Kaas. So I trained. And I served. I thought it was war to be waged as civilized people wage it. So far as we knew the cause was right; the Republic was composed of genocidal hypocrites, their establishments corrupt, their influence utterly destructive. So we were told." She pushed a few strands of hair that had come loose back behind her ear and then met my eye. "It is difficult to get an accurate idea of how the other side does things when all you see of the other side is the blaster fire."

Elara standing up for what’s right, so very in her character. Vierce wasn’t the only one to have to confront prejudices. Elara’s showing him that, and also showing him that he can get through it. She did.

@ Vesaniae: Nothing wrong with a happy Sith. It’s kind of cute, actually.

Last but certainly not least:

@ CourtneyWoods: I’m with both Hoyden and Bright. Here I was thinking no one visits the fanfic forum except us. It’s gratifying (and more than a little terrifying :D ) to know that an actual Bioware representative reads this thread. Voluntarily. And enjoys it. Thank you very much.

Prompt: Enemies

Character: Jurial (JC)

Double-posting with more Jurial Philosophy. This is one essay he will probably keep in a datapad for a while. No class spoilers. Technically a sort-of spoiler for Esseles flashpoint, and one for a general Coruscant quest.

We call them Imps. Even some Jedi do, and we should know better. They are beings, other sentient life forms. Who live, love, hope and hate just as we do. I'm sure they have their own derogatory name for us. We are taught they are our enemy.

Why are they the enemy, though? Because they follow the Sith? If so, then why are the Sith our enemies? I know the easy answer. Because they follow the darkside, and that makes them evil, thus it is our responsibility as Jedi to destroy them. Too easy an answer. This argument conflates the Sith philosophy with the dark side of the Force. It further conflates the Jedi with the light side of the Force. I believe both are in error.

The dark side is the dark side, independent of the beliefs of the user. So too is the light. The basic tenets of the Sith philosophy as I understand it make it easier to follow the dark path. The Jedi endeavor to follow the light. Neither compel. As I learned on Tython through the path of Rajivari, Jedi can follow a dark path. Follow a dark path and yet not be Sith. There are those today who do the same. We say they do not exist. That they are reformed or removed from the order. But the heart of the Dark Side is deception. I find it unlikely the Council knows of them all. Nigh impossible.

Jedi are beings, as fallible and prone to error as anyone else. We are not perfect. We have a higher calling and higher standards, but we are not perfect. Perhaps the darkness would find it harder to hide and grow if we as as order acknowledged that fact. If we engaged those who tread close to the darkness instead of shunning them. Or worse, preach doctrine at them. Even the Force has two sides. So too must every argument.

Rajivari’s positions were extreme yet not without merit. His final actions destructive. But I see that as a function of the dark side. The Dark Side is selfish. Tears down, destroys, unravels, unmakes. The Light Side is altruistic, magnanimous. Grows, builds, constructs, connects. This is the fundamental difference. Not name. Not which side of the galaxy we live on. Not whether we wear red and black or brown and blue. Motivations matter. Actions matter. In the end, they are all that matter.

Jedi should fight the Dark Side, whether it manifests in a Sith apprentice on an Imperial warship, or a Senator advocating slavery in the Republic. It does not matter the face. It matters the actions. Vokk was not my enemy because he was a Sith. He was my enemy because he wished to destroy me and those under my care.

I wish he had chosen differently. If a Jedi can be dark, cannot a Sith be light?

Striges - Jurial is amazing. His impartial and disinterested approach to the Jedi order, its philosophies and doctrine, is compelling and fascinating. I'd love to see more from him - he's just so interesting!

MrTwo - Welcome to the thread :) It's been a while since we've had a Rattataki as the main lead. It will be very interesting to see where life takes him and how, or if, his previous life as a maths teacher will have any affect.

Bright - do it. I could imagine poor Vierce having a weird nightmare where he gets indoctrinated into the Imperial Military and Dorne is there as an Intelligence liason and Aric is a food slave and... I dunno. Weirdness.

I love Jurial's inquiries into everything. Always.

Now some lighter Vierce fare for I Love This Bar. Spoiler for the end of Trooper Act 1 and vague spoilers for Trooper Balmorra. 1000 words.

According to all available security data, dawn was the best time to hit the Balmorran Arms Factory. To get Tanno Vik's precious weaponry and finally, I hoped, get my hands on the manipulative sleazebag myself. I've known profiteers in my time, but few of 'em ever so neatly roped me into doing what they want. I didn't like it.

We had an evening to kill. Forex was out picking off Imperial patrols. Kirsk had vanished a couple of days ago; maybe picking up another cargo bay full of weapons for the resistance, maybe…who knew. Jorgan, Dorne and I ended up at one of the few Republic dining halls available, the Bugtown cantina. I concentrated on not thinking about the Colicoid namesakes outside. There's no reason a bug should get bigger than thumb size. Ever. Any planet where they do is a highly questionable planet.

There weren't any tables free but we managed to snag three spots at the bar. I started with a beer just to steady my nerves. Between bugs, battles, and my own squad I was way more anxious than I'd have liked to be. The three of us chatted about the doings of the day with no problems. Work's easy like that. Then a little about Balmorra in general, the economic situation. The weather. Dorne seemed mostly relaxed, which meant I could relax, which I was doing as hard as I could. Dammit. My arms seemed to itch from nervousness alone. Why I should be nervous about finally being nice to someone and meaning it, I don't know. Probably because I knew I had no quick way to make up for everything I'd put her through.

But it was all right. Like we'd been getting by with since the post-Tavus vacation, except the ice wasn't nearly as thin.

Jorgan yawned early. "I'm going to turn in," he said. "Early day." He nodded to both of us. "I'll be up for four AM."

"See you then." I waved a bit. Dorne nodded at Jorgan, and then the Cathar was away.

Which left me with Dorne, which meant it was time to excuse myself and hit the head because I had no idea what to say.

When I came back I found a human stranger leaning on Jorgan's recently vacated bar stool. And, actually, leaning in toward Dorne. In a way I wouldn't wish on any girl. Definitely nothing I would tolerate on one of my people.

I walked up just at the edge of the little circle between them; he caught my approach, looked up at me, and sneered with a bravado that really didn't fit his current situation. "Oh-ho," he said thickly. "Are you here to rescue the lil' lady?"

I shot a glance her way. The look on her face suggested that she very politely wanted no part of this guy. So I grinned at him. "Nah. She can kick your a** without any of my help, I'm just here to watch when she does it."

He stopped that gentle swaying motion for a second. He focused a bit to look me up and down: two meters of muscle that I'm told looks just as imposing in street clothes as I do in my workaday armor. Then he turned back to Dorne and looked her over. Then, without another word, he ran off.

Dorne beckoned me to sit on the once again freshly vacated bar stool. "That was unexpected," she said in a laughing voice.

Other times, other places. "Learned that one from a girl I knew back home." Memory tugged a little at the corners of my mouth. "It was in a cantina a lot like this, I sallied in to defend her the old-fashioned way, and she took me outside later that night and beat me near senseless." That was an exaggeration, but Illyris had had some very creative threats on the subject. She got pr*ckly about that kind of thing. "Said if I undercut her like that in public again it'd start costing me teeth."

Dorne, still smiling, raised her eyebrows. "She sounds…spirited," she said dubiously.

"She was. In the best way possible."

Her voice softened and took on a little something of surprise. "She was special to you."

"Too close, Dorne." A warning to her, not a statement about Lyr. No one gets to ask too much about Lyr. And just about then I got enough of my mind off Kegled to remember to be self-conscious on Balmorra. "Anyway. The line's come in handy."

"I was only on my second or third broad hint, with stronger ones lined up. I would have been rid of him before long. Still, I appreciate the gesture. Even if threatening harm upon a civilian is strongly discouraged under regulation 213."

"Stars. You're kidding, right?"

"Not at all, sir," she said in her most businesslike manner. "However, the interpretation may be argued to be…flexible…during off duty hours."

"That's good then. This really isn't the time to be getting you in trouble." It'd be a perfect cap to the way we'd been going, but it wasn't a good time for it.

She arched an eyebrow. "I doubt that I would be the one disciplined for your threatening someone on my behalf, sir."

"Well, it's not a great time to be getting me in trouble, either." There was the smallest hint of a smile on her face, and I was feeling just cheerful enough to grin back. I finished the last of my beer. "I should turn in. See you bright and early tomorrow?"

She nodded smartly. "I'll be there, sir."

"Good night, then." I left the glass and made for the door.

I could do this. Yeah. Dorne was likeable enough when I was done being an a**; Havoc Squad might be working out better pretty soon. Socially, for once, as well as professionally. Might be overkill, but I wanted to make it up to her.

I didn't dream that night. That made two in a row.

Thank you, total stranger, for introducing some small uncommon event suitable for a conversation topic!

Illyris: Training menfolk to suit her taste since…probably 15 or 16, actually. That scene would've been closer to 18. The drinking age is lower on Kegled II.

I bet Dorne would've tried two or three formally phrased yet incredibly biting comebacks against a random interloper before she had to get serious. I see Watcher Two levels of icy disdain rolling off her when necessary.

I generally disapprove of "improving life magically cures psychological disorders", but whatever, I'm rolling with it for now. It's a reprieve, not a cure.

Still love Vierce. His defense of Elara was awesome. And almost wishing we got to hear some of the "Watcher Two levels of disdain" for the annoying guy at the bar. Because I can imagine it as well, and it would be hilarious. Though Vierce's intervention wouldn't be nearly so fun then.

@ CourtneyWoods (again): A Belated Thank You for removing the thread cap, or at least extending it to an insane post or page count. I like having the whole discussion and all the stories together in one thread, rather than having to continue it in sequel threads. If it wasn't you, please pass the thanks along to whatever kind moderator was responsible. I appreciate it, and I know others here do too.

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to pop in here and say that I love this thread. I often visit and read your work. We really appreciate the support you give and the contribution you make to the community.

I ask you, as a fan fiction author myself, to please keep it going! :jawa_smile:

Thank you for your support Courtney. Means a lot to all of us that write,read or generally lurk here.

(Note to self, must find time to write more)

Edited by Irrissa

I made an updated cast picture, in which I did my best to include an image of every character who has appeared in a story in this thread. There are also some people who haven't actually appeared yet, but who totally will when I get around to it. :D Unfortunately, I do not have any images of Lyshara and Lynet Vrine, but I will amend this once I have access to TOR again.

The image may be found at this location. It is very large. Click that magnifying glass at your own risk. ;)

Mrtwo - Welcome to the thread! I liked your fic a lot. Loved your character, the mix of fighting prowess and math ability - very cool and reminded me a little of Rich Franklin, which was fun :D. And the seediness of Nar Shaddaa was really well done.

Striges - I LOVE Jurial's philosophy. Just...yeah, love it. (Oh, and to judge by the SGRA thread, the new cap for all threads is 555 pages.)

Bright - "There's no reason a bug should get bigger than thumb size. Ever. Any planet where they do is a highly questionable planet." Two minutes straight of laughing. Seriously. I loved Vierce's version of defending Elara, and I loved that Elara would have been perfectly fine dealing with him herself. She's got that lovely ability to stand up for herself and anything she thinks is right without stooping...if that makes sense :)

Edit: And Ves's crew in all their glory! :)

Edited by iamthehoyden

Vierce notes:

I just adapted Vierce's moment from real life. Some time ago I was out talking with a good friend – he's 6'4", burly, shaved head, nose broken a few times – and this guy invites himself over and starts clumsily trying to chat me up while edging him out. Trying. So my friend, who does not suffer from delusions of chivalrous protectiveness but does love screwing with people, starts phrasing almost everything as a subtle or not-so-subtle threat because that's how his sense of humor works, and the tone-deaf newcomer ignores him and ignores him and then finally gets irritable and calls him out on it. And my friend grins, tilts his head my way, and says "I'm not even the one you should be worried about."

So I smiled at the guy. Guy looked at the two of us, spent about two seconds thinking, and then decided he had other places to be. This is why I love my friends and write fanfic tribute moments for them.

Prompt day, with two this time!

Week of 3/1/2013

Mirror, Mirror – Images and reflections can tell you a lot. Sometimes they give an accurate perspective on what's going on. But sometimes they don't quite reflect the truth of things. Distorted or un-, write about mirrors, reflections, or echoes that your characters have encountered or left.

The Morning After - What seems like a good idea at night may turn out to be terrible in the morning. Or the other way around. Write about the morning after some event great or small that your character has experienced.

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5223753&postcount=1675.

I wrote a short thing real quick. Thanks for all the feedback and the welcomes! As always, feedback and critisism is appreciated and wanted.

NotLP, Dreams and Nightmares

“And the three to the power of seven in this equation means that it...” his deep melodious voice trailed off as he noticed a profound silence in the room. Dressed in a comfortable blue-gray teacher’s uniform, Kouhun turned around to see what the matter with his class was. The twenty adolescent aliens and humans stared shellshocked out the two large windows past Kouhun and his teaching board.

“Is something the matter?” Kouhun asked flatly, suspecting some practical joke, perhaps by Helios, a Twi’lek who was known for his humorous antics.

Abruptly the classroom door burst open and the principal rushed in the doorway.

One look at her terrified eyes told him all he needed to know.

It was like it happened in slow motion; one second Kouhun was about to scream at his students to run, the next second both of the large windows blew in and his ears exploded in pain.

Kouhun registered screaming teenagers fleeing to the back of the classroom. That would not help them, for the only window in the back could only get one person through at a time. Kouhun’s eyes filled with tears as he realized the reality of the situation. Turning around to face his fate, a rifle butt appeared in his vision a moment before everything went black.

The Imperial Military was all about procedure. Lines, lines, lines, as far as the eye could see on the grassy plains that covered the outskirts of the city. Thousands of colonists. Thousands of aliens. Thousands of humans.

Kouhun stood beside his wife, a Rattataki like himself. They had been picked to help colonize this world over a decade ago. Imperial transports ships were scattered across the landscape, stark machines of gray against the tranquil green beauty.

He scanned the lines near him and recognized friends, students both current and former, and other people who filled the various niches in the colony. They were all together for the last time.

A snobbish looking blonde-haired human male in an Imperial uniform marched stiffly to a place several feet in front of the line. He didn’t want to associate with these dirty Republic aliens. He was flanked by two Imperial troopers.

“Kill all the inferiors,” he said in disgust, “enslave anyone who looks like they could be worth credits.”

Kouhun stepped out of line and in front of his wife. He knew he wouldn’t be killed. His bulk and strength was legend in the colony, and he could make a great bodyguard or pit fighter.

“You kill one of us, you kill all of us.” Kouhun stated sternly.

Shocked by this defiance, the officer briskly pulled off his leather glove and slapped the Rattataki’s face with it.

Unfazed, Kouhun stared deeply into his eyes.

Looking away uncomfortably, the officer whispered into the ear of one of his nearby guards.

Chuckling wickedly, the trooper approached Kouhun.

Wary, the math teacher made his hands into fists, ready for combat.

“You think I’m going to fight you?” the trooper laughed.

“I’m not stupid, alien slime.”

“That we will have to see.” Kouhun countered matter-of-factly.

The imperial trooper suddenly rolled out of the way. Confused, Kouhun suddenly heard ten blaster bolts hitting flesh. Looking behind him, he saw the bodies of his wife and nine others falling to the ground.

The firing squad had moved to the other side of the line while he was distracted.

Kouhun grabbed his head and screamed at the top of his lungs.

A gloved fist punching his gut awoke him from his terrible nightmare.

“Shut up or I take another toe.” His master growled at him.

Kouhun sat up in his metal cot. His owner’s retreating form registered to his bloodshot eyes.

Maybe the dreams would stop someday.

Hopefully they wouldn’t.

Edited by Mrtwo