The BattleZone! Round 1 Match 04: Shaak Ti vs. Luminara Unduli

Aurbere

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really have the time to read through all the arguments that have been put forward, but judging from the first and last pages, I'll just weigh in.

Shaak Ti is an aggressive and talented duelist, but Unduli has demonstrated an ability to fight through and endure pain and disability. Shaak Ti was worn down by Galen Marek, and ended up attacking him suicidally. She has also demonstrated a distinct tendency towards a lone wolf mentality, and doesn't appear to know how to back down.

Unduli is a methodical, practical fighter. Her flexibility and Soresu give her an incredible defense, and she is certainly powerful enough in the Force to contend with Shaak Ti. Her impressive defense would lead Shaak Ti to quickly wear herself out with her fancy acrobatics, and drive Shaak Ti to increasingly reckless and desperate attacks, much as during her duel with Marek.

I would have to say that unless Shaak Ti gets lucky and manages an early victory (unlikely given Unduli's concentration on defensive forms) then she will be worn out and killed when she makes desperate attacks.

Glad to see this was not called before I could make a final point.

Shaak Ti is a methodical, patient and extremly cunning fighter. More so than Unduli. Knowing the Mirialan like she does, Ti also knows Unduli's biggest weakness...her overconfidence. I stated this in my first post. Ti would exploit that weakness and lure Unduli into becoming overconfident. Overconfidence leads to mistakes, and one little slip is all Ti needs to unleash a furious attack that Unduli would not be able to withstand.

Add to that Ti's ability to sneak up on her opponents and her natural use of "sonar" from her Montrals and Ti could easily get the jump on Unduli. Luminara is powerful, as a duelist and Force user, but she is not as good as Shaak Ti. Ti would never resort to desperate attacks in this battle. What happened in TFU is irrelevant to this battle. Ti is simply better than Unduli. She doesn't let herself become overconfident, a downfall of Luminara's. Also, Ti would use the envinroment of the Temple to her advantage better than Luminara.

Edited by Kilikaa

Well, you can't really say Ti could use the temple better, this is a ground both know like the back of their hands.

And Ti getting the jump on unduli isn't very likely, Unduli has incredible precognition, she could easily see Ti coming, I do believe this fight would come to a straight up saber+Force duel, in which I think Unduli would clinch it, for reasons explained by ventessel...

Well, you can't really say Ti could use the temple better, this is a ground both know like the back of their hands.

And Ti getting the jump on unduli isn't very likely, Unduli has incredible precognition, she could easily see Ti coming, I do believe this fight would come to a straight up saber+Force duel, in which I think Unduli would clinch it, for reasons explained by ventessel...

Ti is just as strong, if not stronger, in precognition as Unduli. You also have to take into account the natural "sonar" ability of Ti's Montrals, a trait all Togruta have as it is part of their natural makeup. Ti is also very light on her feet and makes almost no noise when stalking her prey. Inside the temple these factors give her an advantage because Luminara will make more noise. Plus Ti is well known for sneaking up on Jedi and surprising them, no matter how powerful and finely tuned their Forces senses are.

Shaak Ti would also be able to switch saber forms on the fly. Luminara would stick mainly with Soresu. This gives her a very strong defense, but against Makashi, as Beni has pointed out, Soresu can be beaten. Ti is much more powerful in that form than Ventress could ever be. You also fail to take into account Ti is much more cunning. She would force Luminara into making a mistake by exploiting her weakness for becoming overconfident.

Nobody is saying Luminara is going to get stomped in under thirty seconds. She is going to put up a pretty damn good fight. Shaak Ti is just stronger, more cunning, patient and well versed in almost every lightsaber form. She has a natural ability that gives her an edge and is known for being so quiet that she has surprised many of her fellow Jedi no matter how powerful they are.

Luminara won't go down easy, but she will lose. Shaak Ti is just the more powerful Jedi in this matchup. I say this being a huge fan of both Unduli and Ti. I've been a fan of Undili before I became a Ti fan. I just wanted to make that clear to show I have no bias towards one over the other. This is just how I see it.

There is no way Luminara could best Shaak Ti. Remember in season 1 of the Clone Wars where Luminara gets pink eye and Ahsoka has to rescue her from Ventress. gimme a break. Also, she's a terrible Master. Her punk *** Padawan turns to the Dark Side and she does nothing...has no idea. At least Obi-wan went to go kill Anakin. Luminara is just absent. Meanwhile Shaak Ti survives Order 66 and the majority of the Purge. She would own Luminara any day.

There is no way Luminara could best Shaak Ti. Remember in season 1 of the Clone Wars where Luminara gets pink eye and Ahsoka has to rescue her from Ventress. gimme a break. Also, she's a terrible Master. Her punk *** Padawan turns to the Dark Side and she does nothing...has no idea. At least Obi-wan went to go kill Anakin. Luminara is just absent. Meanwhile Shaak Ti survives Order 66 and the majority of the Purge. She would own Luminara any day.

OK, some things to correct here.

Firstly, she did not get pink eye. She was blinded by hot steam, and even then managed to hold off Ventress, who is a well known assassin.

Secondly, Luminara is a better master than Shaak Ti. Two of Ti's padawans were killed in action because of Ti's training methods. I have no idea where Luminara was when Barris went rogue, but she was most likely on the battlefield.

Thirdly, yes, Shaak Ti survived Order 66 and a good portion of the Purge. That's a good point. But we can't say that she would own someone simply on those accounts*. By this logic, Sha Koon would own her uncle, which is simply incorrect.

*Not saying that's what you are doing, but for anyone that would do that, don't.

Turns out we had some debate. When I first read the topic, tought it would be over in a day, but it's almost a week and the cal hasn't been made yet. Aurbere, the rest after Plagueis vs. Vitiate that you planned will have to come another time. (or not:D)

Alright, I think it's time to call this one. In the beginning of this match, victory seemed almost assured for Shaak Ti, but later on we saw Luminara voters put up a staunch resistance.

However, there can be only one victor. During their long and tedious duel, Luminara Unduli's defense was too difficult to penetrate in a straight duel, forcing Shaak Ti to resort to other tactics. Shaak Ti's ability to know her environment in great detail, and her natural abilities for stealth, allowed her to temporarily abandon the duel. It was during this time that Luminara became overly confident.

When Shaak Ti re-engaged, she took advantage of Luminara's over confidence to pick up the victory.

I want to remind everyone that I do not make these decisions lightly. Very tough choice to make. It was very close.

Our next match-up shall see the Blade of Dorin battle the Maverick of the Jedi Order.

Seriously? It's such a weak argument to say that "so and so will become overconfident", it's a very ambiguous term and hardly implies that Luminara Unduli would abandon the staunch defense that had worked so well. If Shaak Ti cannot overcome Unduli's defenses, her defeat becomes practically inevitable.

Seriously? It's such a weak argument to say that "so and so will become overconfident", it's a very ambiguous term and hardly implies that Luminara Unduli would abandon the staunch defense that had worked so well. If Shaak Ti cannot overcome Unduli's defenses, her defeat becomes practically inevitable.
TBH, I don't think that's even how the battle would have gone. Shaak Ti would have won the initial engagement by breaking through Unduli's defenses with a flurry of Ataru or powerful Force based attack. Based on the fact that Unduli's skill with Soresu was not skilled enough to defend against an attack from Ventress. I realise know her 'blindness' would not even have been an issue as Jedi are taught from a young age to do without.

But anyway, when's the next debate coming out? Hopefully soon! :D

I created the provided scenario based upon all of the provided arguments, many of which implied Luminara would become overconfident. However, understand that there are several scenarios for Shaak Ti's victory. I just chose the one that took every argument into account. It wasn't an easy decision to make, but it is final.

But anyway, when's the next debate coming out? Hopefully soon! :D

Should be posted soon.