We Need Another Server Merger - Especially with the coming PvP Matchmaking Changes

Hellhog

This game is losing players because

1. The WOW like style is outdated

2. No new content

3 New content didn't attract many players

4. Current content needs a big overhaul to fix the bugs, change and open a lot of contents to players with a more friendly way.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. No new content

4. Current content needs a big overhaul to fix the bugs, change and open a lot of contents to players with a more friendly way.

Too many continuous mistakes by the Devs and them not listening enough to player feed back. They make a mistake (which we all do occasionally), but they never admit it or wind it back till it’s fixed. They take too long trying to tweak it and it’s never enough to stop people leaving the game. They also dont seem to learn from these mistakes, which is why people lose confidence in them.

The last really big mass exodus from the game started with 5.0 and continued to snowball for most of last year. Then it stabilised around September and then another mass exodus when they moved the west coast server to the east. Then it stabilised again and we had another exodus in March with conquest.

Let’s just hope there aren’t too many mistakes with this pvp roadmap or if there are, they react fast and do enough to appease the players. I dont think this game can survive another mass exodus and still make enough money for them to continue adding content.

You would have to think that development on 6.0 will stop if too many people keep leaving and the game isn’t making enough money.

You can say whatever you want about OWPvP servers. There is a reason PVP servers die first. Usually it toxic community, or level capped players hanging out in starter zones killing level 10's and then claiming "It's a PvP Server"

So they drive a lot of people away. In Tera it got so bad at Lumberton, (the level 11-20 zone) that on the pvp server they started handing out 3-10 day suspensions for killing lowbies.

Trolls will be trolls. It doesn’t take many to destroy an eco system. Even ledgitmate pvpers are put off from using those servers because of the trolls.

It’s not a toxic community, it’s the toxic trolls. They are only a very small minority of the population, but they make a massive impact from their behaviour.

What gaming company in its right mind would take a game that doesn't even link back to any current Star Wars movies? Were I looking to establish a Star Wars MMO, I'd want to co-brand and tie into promotions as closely as I could for any new movies coming out, not lock myself out of that because the content of the game I purchased is 3000 years prior to anything I'm trying to relate to with current movie releases.

1. Said company would need a separate, independent IP licen$e from Disney than what EA has. Good luck footing the bill on that.

2. EA would $ell the game's IP that it owns for having developed it (code, voice acting, content) to said company.

3. EA (rightfully) would still consider all of the people who ever played SWTOR to be its customers (think of all the Origin account information tied into the SWTOR login info) and therefore would not hand over its customer base's payment history, a history which ties very closely with whatever anyone has ever bought on the cartel market, used cartel coins for legacy unlocks, etc. Without that payment history to connect content to player purchases, said company would have no idea who bought what.

4. It would be a logistical nightmare for both players and the new company to claim accounts with a new company. Said company, based on issue #3, would have to establish its own relationship with the player base. Starting out, that player base would be 0. Player transfer to said company would require EA to email all SWTOR players a code which then players would need, after establishing a new subscription / player profile with the new company, to enter into their player profile to connect their new player profile with the new company with the player's SWTOR account. EA would only give the new company that code hooked up to a unique account ID for the purposes of players claiming their accounts once those players establish a presence with a new company.

4a. Meaning players had better damn well have their email information current at the time of the company transfer or someone else (or nobody) would receive the code and subsequently unlock the account.

4b. Because the new company would not have access to EA's customer history, and not know who anyone is other than by an EA-issued one-time code pointing to a UID in the player database, there would be no way to resolve customer issues regarding claiming of codes. Why? They're not the new company's customers yet. The new company wouldn't know any player from Adam. People would be completely dependent on using those codes correctly, the first time.

4c. Heaven help any player who ever shared login information with any other player, even a relative, or has someone in a position to read their email, like a parent or spouse. Like 4a., the new company would have no means to resolve ownership issues. There would be zero the new company's customer service system could do about it, for not having access to EA's customer information about them. That's EA's customer information, not the new company's.

Far easier to scrap SWTOR altogether for new said company to pursue content more germane to current Star Wars content and not hassle with extracting EA's customers from it.

I largely respect your views and read a lot of your posts, I like you as a poster.

I can respect what your saying, but that really seems more like an opinion sort of things because, the problem I could see that could be potentially extremely limiting to player's choices would be because you are now putting direct Canon in the way of the very setting that you are trying to build a new game around. - I'm one of those SW Fans who respects canon a lot and keeps it in mind. If we used the movies that means that anything else that goes on in the game would have to work around the limitations or at least "guide posts" that those movies would require.

For example, if the time frame was in the movie the Last Jedi, that means, the players could not play Sith and they could not play Jedi.Snokes dead. Kylo is quite possibly the sorriest excuse for a "Sith" like, ever, and Rey is not a Jedi in any sense of the word. I certainly wouldn't want to be forced to as best play some force sensitive that has zero training and could never become anything of consequence because those things are being handled by the characters in the movies. That one issue alone, I would think would be a sticking point to many Star Wars fans, I personally wouldn't want to play that game and would mourn the loss of this game for that purpose.

Add to that that I think it's probably fair to say [i could be wrong though, this is just how it strikes me from my experience] that a very high number of players in this game think every single movie Disney has put out so far is just one worser pile of crap that they thought the last movie could never be outdone in it's crapiness only to find how how wrong that assumption was heh. I personally hated all of them.

I don't really want to speak for anyone, and beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, so people who do like what I consider to be crap shouldn't feel that is any kind of an insult. I personally think that Disney is the worst thing that ever happened to Star Wars and I'll be honest, I would have no interest in playing in a Star Wars MMO that was taking place at that point in the timeline.

That in a way is what makes this game so great, you have the options and you have enough wiggle room to do alot of things that wouldn't necessarily fit in with what we know as canon because the time frame itself is largely undefined with regard to historical "facts". Speaking only for myself, canon is pretty important to me, I don't go for Grey Jedi, I was Luke Skywalkers illegitimate son, I killed Vader., the one Luke killed was just a clone , kinda muddling the waters.

No one's wrong in what they like of course and I'm not trying to find fault with your idea on whether or not someone likes the new stories or not, that's totally subjective, it's just about the inherent limitations such a game set in that point in time would bring and demand on the player base of a game set than. If that idea were to come to pass, they would loose me as a customer because that's not what I'm looking for personally.Beyond the slow releases of new content, I love this game. I have issues of course [class balance, slow content releases, etc] , but overall, this is where I want to be.

I'm gonna be following this string, I'm really curious to see how other players would feel about a new game set in the timeline you suggested. Maybe I'm wrong how people feel about the Disney released Star Wars in terms of magnitude, personal opinions aside, it's an interesting suggestion that will keep me reading.

I'm gonna be following this string, I'm really curious to see how other players would feel about a new game set in the timeline you suggested. Maybe I'm wrong how people feel about the Disney released Star Wars in terms of magnitude, personal opinions aside, it's an interesting suggestion that will keep me reading.

I'll not quote everything, but i mostly agree with everything you said here.

I like this game because the timeline is so far away from the movies timeline that it gives much more liberties storywise, and like you for me canon is really important, even this game canon. While writing for my character, i try to stick as close as possible to the game events and timeline.

About the Diney movies, i actually really liked Rogue One and quite enjoyed Solo (while i was really not sure i wanted to watch it in the first place), but don't really like the new trilogy so far, i like Poe, but that's pretty much it.

I like this game because the timeline is so far away from the movies timeline that it gives much more liberties storywise, and like you for me canon is really important, even this game canon. While writing for my character, i try to stick as close as possible to the game events and timeline.

About the Diney movies, i actually really liked Rogue One and quite enjoyed Solo (while i was really not sure i wanted to watch it in the first place), but don't really like the new trilogy so far, i like Poe, but that's pretty much it.

I like the Disney SW films and some of the other properties they've created like the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. I like the new films much more than the prequels and appreciate heroes like Rey. Things like SGR were never permitted under George Lucas and I appreciate that they are being included under current management.

I do wish however that they had stuck with the original EU storyline and characters. Luke married to the former Emperor's hand, Leia trained as a full-on Force user, and Leia and Han's three Force using kids were a lot more interesting than hearing Kylo Ren whine and having Luke exiled on an island.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I like the Disney SW films and some of the other properties they've created like the Clone Wars and Rebels animated series. I like the new films much more than the prequels and appreciate heroes like Rey. Things like SGR were never permitted under George Lucas and I appreciate that they are being included under current management.

I do wish however that they had stuck with the original EU storyline and characters. Luke married to the former Emperor's hand, Leia trained as a full-on Force user, and Leia and Han's three Force using kids were a lot more interesting than hearing Kylo Ren whine and having Luke exiled on an island.

Yep, i like Clone Wars and Rebels too.

Rey, i think they gave too much too her too early, that does not make her really intersting to follow for me, hence why i prefer Poe.

The original EU, i just read some stuffs here and there, but that never really made me dig into it, it seemed to go a bit all over the place. Some things like the 3 kids seemed interesting though.

Yep, i like Clone Wars and Rebels too.

Rey, i think they gave too much too her too early, that does not make her really intersting to follow for me, hence why i prefer Poe.

The original EU, i just read some stuffs here and there, but that never really made me dig into it, it seemed to go a bit all over the place. Some things like the 3 kids seemed interesting though.

I would have wanted to see the EU in the films just for Mara Jade, Jaina Solo and Leia with a lightsaber, TBH. I very much like Poe, Finn and Rose in the new films.

What always bothers me when people say that about Rey is that they can accept a nine-year old Anakin being the only human to win a pod race, having the engineering skills to rebuild a protocol droid and somehow knowing how to pilot a fighter well enough to win a major space battle. And they can accept Luke being a formidable fighter who has the same skills as someone who spent their life at the Jedi Temple when he was training with Yoda for like two days and apparently training on his own for a year between ESB and RotJ - but Rey's talents are seen as being unrealistic.

What always bothers me when people say that about Rey is that they can accept a nine-year old Anakin being the only human to win a pod race, having the engineering skills to rebuild a protocol droid and somehow knowing how to pilot a fighter well enough to win a major space battle. And they can accept Luke being a formidable fighter who has the same skills as someone who spent their life at the Jedi Temple when he was training with Yoda for like two days and apparently training on his own for a year between ESB and RotJ - but Rey's talents are seen as being unrealistic.

Well, i never really liked Anakin either, and the lighsaber fights in the original trilogy are really meh for me.

About Rey's skills, i have nothing against her non Force skills actually, they're pretty much the result of how she'd lived so far, that's more how her Force abilities are handled that i really don't like, that's too much, too fast. Had she been a serie / cartoon character like the ones from CW or Rebels, with more time to build on her Force powers, i'd have been ok with her being very powerfull (that'd be quite similar to Ahsoka and Ezra), but there is clearly not enough time in a movie format to have a character like her and make her interesting, for me at least.

TBH, i like Ahsoka, Jyn, Sabine, Hera, Leia and Padmé (except in RotS) far more than Rey, and most of them are not even Force sensitive.

Maybe Ep 9 will change my mind about her, but so far i don't like the way she'd been portrayed

Edited by Goreshaga

2. No new content

I'll disagree with 1 & 4, but the lack of content and general development is clearly the biggest reason imo. You have a point with #1, it's a shrinking market, but it still has vast appeal I think. #4 I think would also be easily overlooked if we were distracted by more in #2 and 3...but the lack of 2 & 3 makes #4 seem like a bigger issue than it needs to be.

I'll disagree with 1 & 4, but the lack of content and general development is clearly the biggest reason imo. You have a point with #1, it's a shrinking market, but it still has vast appeal I think. #4 I think would also be easily overlooked if we were distracted by more in #2 and 3...but the lack of 2 & 3 makes #4 seem like a bigger issue than it needs to be.

1 is very obvious, it was even a major reason of SWTOR went F2P in the first place.

4 is as important and 2 and 3, there are tons of bug need to be fixed.

To be fair, I haven't seen Solo yet and I probably should have mentioned that. I have just found out that Darth Maul makes an appearance in it, and I friggen love him so I will definitely be seeing Solo soon. I think chances are I'll be far less critical of it because it won't be totally ruining or ending stupidly iconic characters that fairly much are synonymous to our having fell in love with Star Wars in the first place.

While I'm certainly critical of Disney's handling of things, I respect peoples opinions on the matter. No right and wrong here. You can't please everyone. I will still see every single Star Wars anything that is ever produced.

Honestly I'm glad is some people like some of it. Having more people be disappointed aids nothing heh. Rather some people at least get something out of it. Maybe mine will be the next movie or the one after that. What's that saying? Sun shines even on a dog's *** sometimes? heh

I'll be checking Solo out soon.

To be fair, I haven't seen Solo yet and I probably should have mentioned that. I have just found out that Darth Maul makes an appearance in it, and I friggen love him so I will definitely be seeing Solo soon..

He is onscreen for about a minute at the end, over a holocall... Its not worth paying to sit through 2+ hours of terribleness just to see that. Granted, some of the visuals aside (and visuals alone do not a good movie make), that is pretty much the only cool scene in the movie. Seriously though, wait to see it on the cheap.

He is onscreen for about a minute at the end, over a holocall... Its not worth paying to sit through 2+ hours of terribleness just to see that. Granted, some of the visuals aside (and visuals alone do not a good movie make), that is pretty much the only cool scene in the movie. Seriously though, wait to see it on the cheap.

LOL well thats what you like to hear about new Star Wars movies, wait til it hits Netflix heh

• 2 months later...
Ever since the first server merger occurred and it was discovered that there was only one NA and one EU datacenter the idea behind still segregating parts of the community confused me. I didn't understand why it wasn't just brought down to one server for each region to allow each aspect of game to have as healthy a population as possible regardless the time of day.

I think we need one last server merger, all EU servers in one, all NA servers in one. Allow PvP, GSF, Operations, Flashpoints, Uprisings, etc. to have as much a player pool to draw from, which in turn helps keep player retention.

I agree we need a server merge. I don't know why they don't simply did it before. We didn't need french server, we (pvp/pve players) leave leviathan to darth malgus. Only Rp are still in. Matchmanking was to long to match enought fast.

I think they just don't want to admit there is not enough people on this game. As there was tons of servers at launch with full of people.. i can easily deduct gestion is realy bad... as 1.0 bugs (already reported) still here after 6 years of the game.

If you merge to one US and one EU server players will complain that we should just merge into one server for the whole game for various reasons. If you merge into one server, players will then want servers separated by region. EA will do what it thinks is right for profits. I'd also guess that they don't want anymore merges at this point until they can simply have one server and one data center.

If you merge to one US and one EU server players will complain that we should just merge into one server for the whole game for various reasons. If you merge into one server, players will then want servers separated by region. EA will do what it thinks is right for profits. I'd also guess that they don't want anymore merges at this point until they can simply have one server and one data center.

They will never be able to have just one server. AFAIK and what I've read here, due to the differences in EU and USA rules, they will always have to have separate North American and European Union servers. So that's at least two.

Then you factor in that the EU servers are separated by language, and while a lot of people are bilingual or trilingual or more, the German and French speakers might not want to be forced to speak English to play. If you're merging the servers with the goal of having more people to play together, you're either going to need separate queues for each language or end up dealing with Ops and flahspoints where there might be language difficulties, and neither will result in much increased group play.

Then you get to the point that the server traffic goes up a lot when there's new content, like Copero or Nathema, and there have even been queues to get in for SF and Satele Shan then. Even if traffic is low now it might not always be this low, and two servers lighten the load.

Bottom line, I am opposed to any more mergers and think they would alienate more players than they would help.

I would be supportive of US servers merging now that the server providers aren't separate either anymore.

There is plenty of germans on DM already and I see no reason to keep them out, I got some GTN stalker alts on german server and it's pretty silent there all day. They speak good english in most cases.

No idea what or how French are doing, it's very rare to come across any french players on DM in my experience.

Edited by Kiesu

Ever since the first server merger occurred and it was discovered that there was only one NA and one EU datacenter the idea behind still segregating parts of the community confused me. I didn't understand why it wasn't just brought down to one server for each region to allow each aspect of game to have as healthy a population as possible regardless the time of day.

It's been 7 months since the server merge. The Operation side of content releases has finished for now. We all await the incoming PvP changes. The servers have had their time to settle since.

Since day one of the merger The Leviathan has been no different than any PvP server prior to merger, maybe a little exaggerated, but it is a dead zone that never left low pop when that information was still available. Tulak Hord seemed healthy along the lines of the west coast RP server. Small, dwindling, some communities exist but hurting in size. All the happenings were on and are on Darth Malgus. I understand the point of the servers is to allow players to better communicate via their preferred language but I'd venture to say that's already happening plenty on DM anyway. Back in the North American side of things, Satele Shan is seemingly smaller now albeit not by much than what Harbinger was pre-merger. Star Forge continues to come out strong and healthy compared to SS thanks to getting the 3 most populated of 5 east coast servers bringing it well above what Harbingers size is.

Thing is, the populations for different aspects of the games are broken among the two, made worse by the fact server transfers continue to be expensive. If someone wants RP and are on SS then they're going to have a more difficult time finding what they want. If someone wants NiM raiding but they're on SF they're going to have a more difficult time finding what they want. I'm not saying neither exist on one of the servers because they absolutely do. But with the population for those aspects being segregated by some wires hurts those communities.

The upcoming planned changes for Warzone, Arena, and GSF matchmaking are exciting and extremely refreshing to see. But there's a problem. Skill based matchmaking can definitely help better balance a team. And limiting roles will help provide better games, but such a system can only go so far if only 20-30 people are in queue. Take GSF for example. When it is popping on SS, I see at best 1 match going on at a given time, in some occasions 2. More so depends on the Conquest week actually. So if 10-20 people are queuing GSF and 1 match is going on at a time, skill based matchmaking can only do so much if anything to help balance a team, especially depending on the premade setup. Same goes for Warzones. It has a much healthier population than GSF by far, but even at times late at night, in the early morning where population is low, skill based can only do so much.

Another place that's hurting, at least on Satele Shan, is pub side. PUGs for Operations, Flashpoints, Uprisings are non-existant at times or slow to form (personally I think a way to cross-faction would help this just like what is coming to PvP) but I think step one is to liven up the population first, via a merger again.

I can understand why some people, just like with the previous merger would be against another one. Player names for one. It's something people hold dear to them, and that's fair, I respect that. But maintaining a name at the cost of population health is not ever worth the damage over time that does. Some people worry about not being able to do their objectives for clicking things, all I can say is when the servers were already larger, the issue was much much worse than it could ever be now. That and try out the PvP instances, that's all I play, half the time people don't attack each other... if you even see anyone as PvP instances are typically dead anyway. The only other big one I can see is Conquest, instead of 6 potential winners a week it'd be down to 3 (9 down to 3 on EU), but I think that would lead to better competition because although Conquest from the leaderboard aspect looks quite healthy, there's already some dominating guilds across both SF and SS that cannot be competed with at the moment. Given the changes not requiring top 10 anymore either, a merger would have no effect on hurting the chances of getting the guild target reward anyway.

I think we need one last server merger, all EU servers in one, all NA servers in one. Allow PvP, GSF, Operations, Flashpoints, Uprisings, etc. to have as much a player pool to draw from, which in turn helps keep player retention.

Nothing and population is still there. Subscribe to the game is what make you counted as part of population and keep the server open. Select your server location for your home street address location. If your address is inside Europe location for your language and you shouldn't see North America servers at the beginning your starting a character. As well those live in North America shouldn't see Europe servers at the beginning your starting your character. Your illegal for not being on correct location. People on wrong servers will be hacking, scam and taunting for server merge for PVP hack advantage against US or Europe. Bio ware game company may need to move people back to IP location.

Nothing and population is still there. Subscribe to the game is what make you counted as part of population and keep the server open. Select your server location for your home street address location. If your address is inside Europe location for your language and you shouldn't see North America servers at the beginning your starting a character. As well those live in North America shouldn't see Europe servers at the beginning your starting your character. Your illegal for not being on correct location. People on wrong servers will be hacking, scam and taunting for server merge for PVP hack advantage against US or Europe. Bio ware game company may need to move people back to IP location.
At least they won't SPAM nonsense I guess.

Well.. you are fully entitled to your opinion.... but that does not make you right, nor that others need to agree with you.

And why would you point that out? Is there any reason to do so other than how your comments are typically rude and disgusting towards anyone who is in favor of server merges at any point in time during this game's history?