[PvP Guide] Wakaworld: Your resource for advanced Sith Assassin/Jedi Shadow strategy!

EatenByDistance

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guide and good streams.

I've been rolling this spec for about a week and enjoying it. I've been having a hard time with healers. Are you seeing the same thing? A fight with a heal spec operative takes about 12 years.

Generally an unguarded healer = free kill. Operatives are the hardest to kill and good ones can waste a lot of your time but you shouldn't really have an especially "hard" time killing them, per say. That said, in warzones you shouldn't be the only one attacking a particular target, use focus fire. And even if you can't kill a healer they should be forced to run away from you/heal themselves, so that's always good regardless.

Which one of those specs would be best to level with? I'm presently 32 on my Assassin and I'm doing warzones as well as questing.

Doesn't really matter leveling isn't hard. If you want Deception use Khem Val, otherwise you'll need to wait until you get Low Slash before you'll be able to use Maul with any consistency.

Found your videos very nice to watch (didn't watch everything, but still quite a bit)

Got one question about your gear though.

Why do you use a few critical augments instead of swapping out a power for a crit mod?

I don't know the diminishing return for crit from willpower, but it seem like an odd choice.

Edited by Stealios

Why do you use a few critical augments instead of swapping out a power for a crit mod?

I don't know the diminishing return for crit from willpower, but it seem like an odd choice.

Trying to get crit to a very specific number (25% unbuffed)

The power mods I use are really good so I don't want to get rid of them. Better to take critical augments instead to perfect gear that way. It really doesn't matter what exact arrangement I have as long as I get the end numbers I desire.

Found your videos very nice to watch (didn't watch everything, but still quite a bit)

Got one question about your gear though.

if you get on mr robot or whatever you can work on your build and switch out different mods/enhancements etc...

from what I have seen using any more than 1-2 crit mods/enhancements is not ideal... The most optimized gear seems to be mostly power mods/enhancements. Maybe a couple crit ones... Use crit augments to get up to 25% unbuffed and then the rest power.

It is really just a matter of numbers so it is easy to demonstrate what gearing is the most optimized and I would like to know if anyone has found something better so I can be more optimized as well.

I read somewhere that the crit soft cap is 30%. Wouldn't it make more sense if that's the case to stack 30% unbuffed crit and reach 35% with the buff? Why only 25% unbuffed?

Because in a rwz situation you will have the crit buff, also, people like me, have grinded all my legacy buffs out so there's no point in going over the soft cap when those points could go elsewhere such as to boost my power.

I read somewhere that the crit soft cap is 30%. Wouldn't it make more sense if that's the case to stack 30% unbuffed crit and reach 35% with the buff? Why only 25% unbuffed?

We have the Recklessness buff. You can crit all three of your force abilities on the first cycle of your rotation, Discharge, DF, and Shock given one charge is not consumed by Chain Lightning, but even if it does its not that bad. Wakajinn is a spec that is designed for opening burst. You don't need an insanely high crit rating because most of the time Reck is on cd you are stealthed anyways. At 90sec cd on Reck I have it available every 2-3 openers, that is very good. Since Reck is relatively short cd it is wise to stack power to get the biggest crits possible since you are going to crit anyways.

Because in a rwz situation you will have the crit buff, also, people like me, have grinded all my legacy buffs out so there's no point in going over the soft cap when those points could go elsewhere such as to boost my power.

If the soft cap is 30% then getting there means no points are wasted. The crit buff isn't affected by diminishing returns, it gives a stat 5% boost. So since we're a crit based class, wouldn't it be better to reach the soft cap before putting points to power? That means reaching 30% unbuffed, 35% buffed.

We have the Recklessness buff. You can crit all three of your force abilities on the first cycle of your rotation, Discharge, DF, and Shock given one charge is not consumed by Chain Lightning, but even if it does its not that bad. Wakajinn is a spec that is designed for opening burst. You don't need an insanely high crit rating because most of the time Reck is on cd you are stealthed anyways. At 90sec cd on Reck I have it available every 2-3 openers, that is very good. Since Reck is relatively short cd it is wise to stack power to get the biggest crits possible since you are going to crit anyways.

That's true, but you can't be stealthed during the recklessness cd all the time, warzones aren't 1v1 fights. You can't be judging based only on the opener, what about drawn out group fights?

This is all assuming the soft cap is indeed 30%. If it's 25% then I'm obviously wrong, I just wanna clear this up before I start min maxing.

Edited by stavrakas

Hey!

Good guide there! Just a quick question, in your videos, does it have a reason why you click several abilities? Is it just a old habit trying to get rid off or are you doing it for a reason?

Thanks!

playing on laptop which only lets me click 2-3 buttons in quick succession. As a result sometimes very important abilities simply won't activate when I need them to. So sometimes if I'm clicking really hectically I will also click some of my more crucial abilities just so I am sure they activate.

If the soft cap is 30% then getting there means no points are wasted. The crit buff isn't affected by diminishing returns, it gives a stat 5% boost. So since we're a crit based class, wouldn't it be better to reach the soft cap before putting points to power? That means reaching 30% unbuffed, 35% buffed.

Soft/hardcaps not the issue you simply do lower overall damage with that much crit.

Edited by EatenByDistance

I have a question about the WJ build, is the 2 points in Fanaticism nesseary to maintain good force management or can you get away with 1 and then 2 in Claws of decay for more thrash damage?

Thanks

I really don't spam my DF, pretty much use it situational, cap stopping, opener (Dark Embrace buff) or some conveniently grouped up opponents. I like Claws of Decay for my play style.

I have a question about the WJ build, is the 2 points in Fanaticism nesseary to maintain good force management or can you get away with 1 and then 2 in Claws of decay for more thrash damage?

Thanks

Yes it is completely and utterly necessary to take 2 points in Fanaticism

Do not ever take points in Claws of Decay/Insulation/anything over it. If you're playing the spec correctly (more or less using Death Field on cooldown) you will run out of force very quickly without 2x Fanaticism. And if you find that you aren't running out of force you aren't playing it right.

Just thought I would chime in!

I've been playing this spec for about 4 weeks now I think, I started it a couple of days after the original post and levelled from 44-50 on my Shadow with it. I was previously full Infiltration and, although I loved it, was just feeling it was lacking something. One day I found myself reading the original post and just nodding along at each point, and before I knew it I was re-specced and hooked. Loved it in PvE, and in PvP the burst damage is fantastic. I'm not topping any scoreboards but just beaten my personal best when I came 3rd behind two Smashers. I can pull off those 1v1s when it matters so I know that I'm making the difference even without all that fluff damage from Madness or Rage.

Only issues I've really had have been against full Darkness/Kinetic Combat Shadow/Assasins or Darkness/Madness hybrids in full tank gear. Sometimes it's ok but there's a couple on my server who really know what they're doing there.

I did also have some problems with survivability at first so I figured I'd play around with a few things, my current build is a slight variation of the WJ spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200ZfGbRzfbRbZf0cRM.2

Personally I just find that Insulation helps - once I'm fully geared I may re-evaluate but truth be told I've been having a blast with it. Everytime I think about giving the Darkness/Madness hybrid a go, I play a WZ in this spec and am reminded how great it is!

Thanks for the great guide!

Edited by JarenWelen

Thanks for this excellent information.

*** Your hybrid spec is the shizzle. Played it, and pretty much fell in love with it.

Death field is a nice utility- I no longer have to dive bomb a node. (deception since 1.1)

Edited by PeteyLo