Unlikely things about Star Wars

TJBartlemus

I was reading an article and this got me.

"Every computer is a friendly computer – It is awfully convenient how, whenever he needs to, R2-D2 can just plug right into any computer system and access all sorts of information. They waltz into that first room on the Death Star, and Artoo is able to pull up diagrams showing where the tractor beam controls are, that Princess Leia is on the station, and where she is. Later on, he’s able to shut down the trash compactors at a moment’s notice. It sure is nice that the incredibly-paranoid Empire didn’t put any safeguards on their computer systems, so that anyone with an astromech droid can come in and get tons of sensitive information. Artoo does the same thing other places, too, and never runs into any real problems except in Jedi when he mistakes a power port for an interface port. I realize that C3PO says something about some information being restricted, but it’s hard to believe when you look at the info Artoo was able to find."

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/10/top-10-unanswered-questions-in-geeky-movies-ii-the-sequel/

I actually sort of agree with this one, it seems quite unlikely.

Its simple....it was R2 *********** D2, you can't hide **** from that droid! Plus on the DS he activated the entire imperial network, so theres that reason why he was able to locate everything.

His number 5 is also wrong, Anakin just lived on the planet he didn't live in the exact same house that Obi-Wan took Luke to. Plus Vader thought his pregnant wife and the child died, so he didn't learn of Luke until he dug in deeper.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

His number 5 is also wrong, Anakin just lived on the planet he didn't live in the exact same house that Obi-Wan took Luke to. Plus Vader thought his pregnant wife and the child died, so he didn't learn of Luke until he dug in deeper.

I didn't say I agreed with everything on the article. Just what I quoted.

Actually it's as simple as R2 is an astromech - they're kinda designed to be able to interface with just about any computer.

Doesn't mean that he could just get through any security that is on it. I mean really. The Death Star. One of the most advanced installation in it's time and an old astromech droid could just get in and do whatever he wanted. Not likely.

R2 couldn't bring up information on the detention level to find alternative escape routes when the main characters got trapped.

What we have here is a severe case of laziness in the Death Star IT department. Bet the manager left the guest account open on the network.

Edited by FixerFortyKay

Doesn't mean that he could just get through any security that is on it. I mean really. The Death Star. One of the most advanced installation in it's time and an old astromech droid could just get in and do whatever he wanted. Not likely.

Well to be fair, before ANH with the Rebel Alliance R2 hacked into many imperial databanks and got tons of information so its not that far of a stretch that he could also slice into the DS computers.

What we have here is a severe case of laziness in the Death Star IT department.

The Empire was a monolithic organization with, to that point, very little resistance. However, they were not made of money ... an organization that big, that dedicated to overwhelming force, had to cut corners somewhere. That's why their troops were "protected" with terrible armor, why they didn't put shields on TIE fighters, why they couldn't be bothered guarding their exhaust ports. Palpatine was, apparently, a firm believer in quantity over quality. So I'm sure they cut corners on IT and computer security as well, especially since they had gone basically unchallenged for 20 years and probably didn't think they had much to worry about in the security department.

Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw. Edited by TJBartlemus

Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.

They didn't worry about covering because they never anticipated that anyone would try to attack the station with fighters.

Also here are 2 more good questions.

"By the end of III Obi-Wan looks to be around 35 years old. At the beginning of IV, he looks to be in his mid to late 60’s. Owen and Beru both appear to be in their early to mid 20’s at the end of III but about the same age as Obi-Wan, 60-ish, by IV. Considering the fact that only 19 years pass, how did they all get so old?"

"Why does Obi-Wan never remember owning a droid when he clearly owned several R2 units (including R4) and furthermore, why does he not recall R2. One interesting note, in thinking about it, not once in the prequels does Obi-Wan come in contact with Threepeo. The closest they come to seeing each other is in Padme’s apartment on Coruscant in ROTS but Threepeo does not enter the balcony room until after Obi-Wan departs. On Mustafar, we never see them together though it’s hard to imagine Obi-Wan escaped with Padme and both droids without ever seeing them."

http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthread.php?t=15200

They didn't worry about covering because they never anticipated that anyone would try to attack the station with fighters.

Plus the death star couldn't be destroyed anyway unless you had the force, if Luke didn't have the force the station wouldn't get destroyed. The targeting computers on an X-wing had a 98.7% chance to hit its target, Red Leader had that target was on target and he missed. Now...I find it very unlikely something that accurate could still miss, now go to Luke he is up until Obi-Wan speaks to him is using his computer but decides near the final moments not to and ends up using the force to hit its mark.

also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the death star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They obviously did if they had turrets on the surface attacking Luke when he went in. I am sure that those little turrets couldn't do much else than protect the station.

Also what seems unlikely is that they would leave the hole that would destroy the Death Star absolutely unprotected. I am sure someone would have noticed that could be a problem. To spend all that time and money on a weapon to be destroyed by a well placed shot. Major design flaw.

A single-well placed shot that was impossible for any pilot but Luke Skywalker to make.

Also, the shaft was protected:

General Dodonna: The target is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

Ray shields prevent energy weapons (rays) from penetrating (they also have pretty nasty effects on living beings who try to cross them.) The shaft wasn't particle shielded, since it's a thermal exhaust port, and thus letting out hot gas, which would be blocked by the particle shield, having the same effect as if you'd welded a big metal cap on the end of the exhaust port (i.e., not good.) Particle shields block physical objects (particles), things like proton torpedoes. Ray shields don't, ergo, only a proton torpedo could hit the shaft and set off the chain reaction.

Edited by ErikModi

Also here are 2 more good questions.

"By the end of III Obi-Wan looks to be around 35 years old. At the beginning of IV, he looks to be in his mid to late 60’s. Owen and Beru both appear to be in their early to mid 20’s at the end of III but about the same age as Obi-Wan, 60-ish, by IV. Considering the fact that only 19 years pass, how did they all get so old?"

"Why does Obi-Wan never remember owning a droid when he clearly owned several R2 units (including R4) and furthermore, why does he not recall R2. One interesting note, in thinking about it, not once in the prequels does Obi-Wan come in contact with Threepeo. The closest they come to seeing each other is in Padme’s apartment on Coruscant in ROTS but Threepeo does not enter the balcony room until after Obi-Wan departs. On Mustafar, we never see them together though it’s hard to imagine Obi-Wan escaped with Padme and both droids without ever seeing them."

http://forums.sciflicks.com/showthread.php?t=15200

Obi-Wan's meant (now) to be 57 in ANH. Alec Guinness was 62 when it was filmed, which makes it only a 5 year difference. Not a big deal there... and some people age much better than others (whether or not they've had work done!). William Shatner's 80! That's crazy! He looks too young to be 80. Yet, there's also people who look ancient, yet are only in their 60s or 70s.

Harsh desert environment, individual worries, stresses, concerns, emotions... that can take a lot outta people. Obi-Wan had the weight of the galaxy on his shoulders. HE trained Darth Vader, tool of the Republic's downfall. HE failed to curb the darkness in his old friend. Now he's gotta watch over Luke, one of the last hopes of the galaxy, and Luke's step-uncle won't let Kenobi near him.

Obi-Wan & Threepio DO see each other while leaving Mustafar; 3PO's flying the ship while Obi-Wan's in the copilot seat, shocked at recent events. Obi-Wan may not look at him during that brief shot, but I'm sure they interacted plenty offscreen after AOTC and during various times in ROTS, particularly near the end at Mustafar & Polis Massa.

However, Obi-Wan never 'owned' a droid. He was telling the truth about that. Jedi have very few personal possessions; R2-D2 was a gift to Anakin, and the Jedi Order allowed it as he'd need an astromech anyway for space missions. R4-P17, R4-G9, and any other droids Obi-Wan partnered with in starfighters over the years were merely assigned to him by the Order basically.

you have to remaber R2-d2 sever in the days of the old Republic, and had all the codes form back in the day, the same days the DeathStar was being made, when the Empire was formed, a lot of the codes just got lost and never got taken out, so all R2 had to do is find a old code that worked a back door, and he see everything.. simple for a drod like R2 that take point ohohohohohohohoh 8 seconds

you have to remaber R2-d2 sever in the days of the old Republic, and had all the codes form back in the day, the same days the DeathStar was being made, when the Empire was formed, a lot of the codes just got lost and never got taken out, so all R2 had to do is find a old code that worked a back door, and he see everything.. simple for a drod like R2 that take point ohohohohohohohoh 8 seconds

Yes but at the end of ep. III I remember Obi-wan telling a soldier to wipe both C-3PO's and R2-D2's memories, so wouldn't that clear any codes on him?

Yes but at the end of ep. III I remember Obi-wan telling a soldier to wipe both C-3PO's and R2-D2's memories, so wouldn't that clear any codes on him?

No... Bail Organa told one of his people (Captain Antilles, probably) to wipe the protocol droid's memory, ie, C-3PO. R2-D2 wasn't mentioned in that exchange at all, probably because they figured R2 could keep his trap shut (and in any case, he'd need a translator, a viewscreen to plug into, or someone like Anakin or Luke that can get the gist of what he's trying to communicate in order to blab)

Edited by Toonimator

No... Bail Organa told one of his people (Captain Antilles, probably) to wipe the protocol droid's memory, ie, C-3PO. R2-D2 wasn't mentioned in that exchange at all, probably because they figured R2 could keep his trap shut (and in any case, he'd need a translator, a viewscreen to plug into, or someone like Anakin or Luke that can get the gist of what he's trying to communicate in order to blab)

Oh yeah, sorry about that. anyway, I believe most people in star Wars know what R2 is saying. Anyone with the least amount of tech ability in Star Wars seems to know what he is saying, so he wouldn't need a translator.

Edited by TJBartlemus

Yeah I was watching the Robot chicken Star Wars and I absolutely agree.

Dr. Ball: [Padme's death scene in Revenge of the Sith] She's "lost the will to live"? What is your degree in poetry? You sorry bunch of hippies! For God' sake, don't use the billions of dollars of medical equipment around us! Why don't we just get down on our knees and pray!?!

Unlikely. Very unlikely.