Moderators message! Deciphered!!(Big text)

Vladozz

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days Makes no sense. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch. Apparently you have not improved hahaha, cuz ur accepting less then on beta

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One. Gz, youve avoided Queues now how is that going to justify the WAVE-QUEUE for days..

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.Whitch also means youve recieved more money, and should mean you should open for alot more people,

Cant see the math=

Rift gets 700k, they open for 700k 1st day, you get 2mil, you open for 150k

ITS ALL ABOUT %, Bioware.. jesus

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'. Err..thank you? sigh

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Beta stress test? didnt you guys prepare?,or you could just just keep sending waves until servers start to Queue, then you stop sending.. for maximum effieceny in your already bad idea of launch

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together. Yea carefull!! with adding more servers

WoW has 1,000 servers.. and the servers are so ...err...empty(NOT)

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long. Yea for a game that takes months to reach max level i would understand. but when i start to play someone will basically have a lvl 50 character"won the game" kinda a turn off for me, and alot of people

This is not an issue of whos right or whos wrong

-Theyve angered 1 milion people, why? because we are human beings ffs

We are emotional..

The launch, failure.

Edited by Vladozz

OP where did you get your numbers?

and who cares who gets to 50 first we will all be there eventually, and when you get in ( im guessing it will be either tomorrow or the next day) you can level your heart out to get to 50... 1-2 days is minimal in the long run. They could have kept it at 5 days and you might only get 2

and dont pull out the who name bull crap... if your name was that easy to loose on the first day it wasnt that good of a name...

im tired of people acting all entitled... guess what we entered the code later than those who are in there right now... we have to wait because we waited to put in the code...

And if i dont have to sit and wait in queues because they spaced it out im happy

the fact that levelling is very very fast will become apparent in sort order <i mentioned this during beta posts and was flamed though i have been around for a lot of game openings starting with UO and EQ1>

not sure why but the way to beat WoW has become the way to get to max level fast <this doesn't work so well ask Rift as yes they are still up but they are not doing as well as when they started>

next was the no grace period issue and the delivery dates that just don't work <i guess they are hoping this is forgotten>

no the early access issue that as far as i have heard hasn't gotten through july so they you can fill servers as you go BUT this doesn't work as new players go to full servers sometimes and players already playing will start on a new server to save "their" name or to be the first to max level.

:p i don't care really but i thought it worth to mention that you are also closing threads in which people might beotch and complain leaving them no options to "get over it" but to go to social media which gives you a further marketing "black eye".

i wish you all well but i am not sure where the spiral end the downward turn.

i figure i wouldn't get in till almost the 20th the way today was handled but no worries there are other customers i guess and when it all comes clean in the wash you will either find i am right and you have a "dud of a game" or else you do well.

GL just my 2 cents worth after 2 plus decades of gaming.

the fact that levelling is very very fast will become apparent in sort order <i mentioned this during beta posts and was flamed though i have been around for a lot of game openings starting with UO and EQ1>

not sure why but the way to beat WoW has become the way to get to max level fast <this doesn't work so well ask Rift as yes they are still up but they are not doing as well as when they started>

next was the no grace period issue and the delivery dates that just don't work <i guess they are hoping this is forgotten>

no the early access issue that as far as i have heard hasn't gotten through july so they you can fill servers as you go BUT this doesn't work as new players go to full servers sometimes and players already playing will start on a new server to save "their" name or to be the first to max level.

:p i don't care really but i thought it worth to mention that you are also closing threads in which people might beotch and complain leaving them no options to "get over it" but to go to social media which gives you a further marketing "black eye".

i wish you all well but i am not sure where the spiral end the downward turn.

i figure i wouldn't get in till almost the 20th the way today was handled but no worries there are other customers i guess and when it all comes clean in the wash you will either find i am right and you have a "dud of a game" or else you do well.

GL just my 2 cents worth after 2 plus decades of gaming.

I'm not sure which beta builds you tested or for how long you tested but leveling slows way down towards the end of Chapter1 and start of Chapter 2. Will there be people at 50 by the official launch? Probably, but they will be hardcore people that have barely slept,eaten or showered in a week.

If the average gamer(read casual) plays 4 hours a day,which may even be high, and the class story alone has 200 hours of game time they are looking at quite some time before they hit 50 if they maintain their 4 hours day.

Edited by Temeluchus

and dont pull out the who name bull crap... if your name was that easy to loose on the first day it wasnt that good of a name...

And if i dont have to sit and wait in queues because they spaced it out im happy

the name issue won't be an issue if they were smart enough to implement the max number of characters across servers rule <probably didn't as this is not something they learned about> and for some people names are important and some character names were carried from EQ to now

just because it is trivial to you does not mean it is to everyone.. nor does it give you the right to get on your high horse

and this is all coming from someone who really doesn't care since the no grace and no preship issues of last weeks end <which is probably why they reset servers in hope people forget>

sadly if this game falls badly it isn't just this game but BW and the star wars name fall too and a bad rep always seems to follow while a good one is fast to be lost.

Hey everyone.

We absolutely understand you want to get in and play the game early. It's one of the reasons we expanded our Early Game Access from a maximum of five days to a maximum of seven days Makes no sense. However, there are a couple of important points to realize about today's opening salvo of invites, and the procedure in general for Early Game Access and launch.

First, Early Game Access and launch is not supposed to be a stress test. In our previous Beta Testing Weekends we got up to very large concurrent number of players and brought invites into the game at a very high rate. That was done to stress test every aspect of our systems and servers, and essentially to see if they broke. In some cases, they did, but that helped us improve for launch. Apparently you have not improved hahaha, cuz ur accepting less then on beta

For us, launch isn't just about stuffing our servers with as many people as possible. As anyone who's been through a large MMO launch can tell you, that experience can be painful. Our aim with this launch was to ramp things up gradually, to spread our player population out amongst a variety of servers, to maintain all server types, and to keep queuing to a minimum (although we expect that to happen as we head towards December 20th). So far, all that has been successful for us on Day One. Gz, youve avoided Queues now how is that going to justify the WAVE-QUEUE for days..

The second thing to realize is scale. We invited more people to play Star Wars: The Old Republic today than many other MMO launches manage in their entire head-start process. As I mentioned earlier today, when we opened pre-orders we had a huge spike in numbers - far more than most MMOs capture at launch. That was the initial rush. After that, our pre-orders settled down.Whitch also means youve recieved more money, and should mean you should open for alot more people,

Cant see the math=

Rift gets 700k, they open for 700k 1st day, you get 2mil, you open for 150k

ITS ALL ABOUT %, Bioware.. jesus

What this means is that tomorrow, you'll effectively start to see the pre-order timeline expand. You'll see people who have pre-ordered later than July getting invites. The day after that, more people will be invited. We're actually planning to invite more tomorrow than today, and invite the same number again on Thursday - at which point we'll be into the original 'five days of Early Game Access'. Err..thank you? sigh

Last thing. Why aren't we continuing to send waves over time? Two main reasons - one, because we need to see that the servers are maintaining stability over time; adding a lot of players in a short period (in other words, stress testing) can cause stability issues.

Beta stress test? didnt you guys prepare?,or you could just just keep sending waves until servers start to Queue, then you stop sending.. for maximum effieceny in your already bad idea of launch

Two, our plan is to continue to add servers - but carefully, and in response to demand. We need to monitor that demand and roll out servers accordingly. A long-term recipe for MMO failure is to add a lot of servers early on, and then when population decreases, have to close those servers and merge them together. Yea carefull!! with adding more servers

WoW has 1,000 servers.. and the servers are so ...err...empty(NOT)

Our aim is for Star Wars: The Old Republic to be around for a long time to come. Today's just the first step in that - an early step, too - and we'll be running smoothly, with a stable population, before too long. Yea for a game that takes months to reach max level i would understand. but when i start to play someone will basically have a lvl 50 character"won the game" kinda a turn off for me, and alot of people

This is not an issue of whos right or whos wrong

-Theyve angered 1 milion people, why? because we are human beings ffs

We are emotional..

The launch, failure.

No they've angered you and a few other drips. Take the pain.

Angry, frustrated ramblings / commentary

I think my post covers this fairly well!

I deal with demanding, passionate customers that want the moon on a stick every day with my business, so i'm about as sympathetic to Stephen Reid et al's plight as you can be.

HOWEVER, I have to concur that Bioware is doing themselves no favours by the silence / high five's being exchanged. I completely get the 'underpromise and overdeliver' approach, god knows i've used it myself endlessly; but the key part the of underpromise and overdeliver strategy is that you still need to provide clear, firm deliverable SMART (Specific, Measured etc) objectives to your customer-base and then deliver or better them.

They did that with the EGA originally, then there was the announcement of waves rather than queue priority, and the change in EGA dates. Essentially you moved the bar in people's minds, irrespective of the fact that the actual bar has not moved an inch as yet (welcome to mass-PR ladies and gents); therefore you need to re-engage with your playerbase and state clearly what the realistic best, realistic worst, and hopefully deliverable cases are.

One thing i'm sure everyone will agree with me on; I the internet disinhibition effect brings out the worst in people, so do everyone a favour before posting folks; walk away, grab a beer/coffee etc, watch a movie, go for a run etc. Basically clear your head, realise it's just a game; a game you desparately want to play sure, but just a game.

Edited by TheBinarySurfer

I'm not sure which beta builds you tested or for how long you tested but leveling slows way down towards the end of Chapter1 and start of Chapter 2. Will there be people at 50 by the official launch? Probably, but they will be hardcore people that have barely slept,eaten or showered in a week.

If the average gamer(read casual) plays 4 hours a day,which may even be high, and the class story alone has 200 hours of game time they are looking at quite some time before they hit 50 if they maintain their 4 hours day.

maybe you are right i got one to 22nd level with no slow down as i found that there was no real increase of XP necessary quests to get to another level and this was playing a little here and there.

you might be right but i didn't see it and if they are putting the 4 hours a day as the rule they are off since yes there are a lot of casual there are a lot of people who play more than this and it is easier to have it take longer for casuals than it is to have a steady drop off post launch <Rift was one of these as the week of launch and maybe for 2 weeks it was really busy then servers started being closed and slowly subs dropped>

not sure if the story lines after the first bit stay complete different or not this was another issue in Rift since you had to repeat all content.

not saying the game will fail but the cheering section didn't do anything for all the past hopefuls that barely got off the ground.

OP where did you get your numbers?

and who cares who gets to 50 first we will all be there eventually, and when you get in ( im guessing it will be either tomorrow or the next day) you can level your heart out to get to 50... 1-2 days is minimal in the long run. They could have kept it at 5 days and you might only get 2

im tired of people acting all entitled... guess what we entered the code later than those who are in there right now... we have to wait because we waited to put in the code...

OP won't get in in the next 2 days, he ordered in Dec. He'll be lucky to get in at all. Fail launch.