Strategies to avoid rushers in flashpoints?

Hi everyone,

as the title suggests, I really don´t like rushing and skipping, it is just not my playstyle and I prefer to do everything, go calmly, do bonus content etc. Rushing just takes the fun out of it for me.

The problem with groupfinder is that there is no way to actually make a distinction between rushers and non-rushers. And with my luck I frequently end up with speed runners.

Is there some strategy to avoid rushers, besides calling out at the fleet? I am aware that many fp can be played solo now (which is a great thing). Still, I also want to do some group content.

So any hints are appreciated!

Cheers

I'd advise you to avoid and untick the quick flashpoints like Hammerstation, Cademimu or Athiss, maybe the Czerka ones too, since people doing FPs only for CXP or the Ossus weekly quest tend to farm those x times for "efficiency".

Also talking to the group at the beginning could help, even if not every group will go slower some do when being asked.

Aside from joining a guild, building up a friend list of like minded players also helps a lot, but it takes time to find those and some people will be hit and miss.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few things you can do:

1. Ask up front.

I was recently in an FP - can't recall exactly which one, but an older one - and at the start someone requested to do the bonuses. Not only did we do the bonuses, but the OP would have loved it - we ended up killing literally everything and doing all bosses. Most fun I've had in a long time. :)

2. If after you ask, some people still seem to want to skip things, keep in mind that they may not have noticed the chat. Attack the skipped groups and/or boss anyway. You may find that many others will join in (for self preservation, if no other reason) and even the skipper may slow down.

If you get a bunch of flack though, you may need to keep up with the group to keep from being kicked.

3. Take an in-between approach. Ask to do bonuses (which may involve killing x number of enemies) - particularly bonus bosses - but skip the trash groups that aren't involved.

Edited by JediQuaker

Hi everyone,

as the title suggests, I really don´t like rushing and skipping, it is just not my playstyle and I prefer to do everything, go calmly, do bonus content etc. Rushing just takes the fun out of it for me.

The problem with groupfinder is that there is no way to actually make a distinction between rushers and non-rushers. And with my luck I frequently end up with speed runners.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rushers" and "rushing".

I get "skipping", of course, and I get why you might not want to do that, but what does it mean to "rush", in your estimation? Is it just the same thing, or is there some different activity that you're attempting to capture?

Also talking to the group at the beginning could help, even if not every group will go slower some do when being asked.

Aside from joining a guild, building up a friend list of like minded players also helps a lot, but it takes time to find those and some people will be hit and miss.

This is good advice. Ask, ask, ask. In my experience, if you ask to do the bonus at the beginning of the FP, you will more often than not end up doing the bonus. I, for one, almost always agree to do a bonus if asked. Most players will not have a strong opinion one way or the other. A sufficiently forceful request will carry the day.

It's not always going to work. But your fellow players are people with their own time constraints and commitments, and you should respect that.

The exceptions are usually FPs where the bonus requires a significantly greater investment of time and effort than a normal run, as Hammer Station, Taral V, Maelstrom Prison, Battle of Ilum, and the like; or FPs where the bonus requires significantly greater skill than many players possess, like Depths of Manaan and Battle of Rishi. In those cases, you will probably need to go with a premade group.

That said, while it's usually very easy to get people to do a bonus, it's significantly more difficult to get them to kill everything, and I think that that's fair. A bonus is a tangible objective that doesn't require an open-ended commitment of effort. Killing mobs not necessary for that bonus is almost universally regarded as a waste of time.

2. If after you ask, some people still seem to want to skip things, keep in mind that they may not have noticed the chat. Attack the skipped groups and/or boss anyway. You may find that many others will join in (for self preservation, if no other reason) and even the skipper may slow down.

If you get a bunch of flack though, you may need to keep up with the group to keep from being kicked.

A very large number of people would consider this trolling, and I've seen plenty of people kicked for it over the last several years. It's a risky move, to say the least. I would recommend against this. Far better to just form a premade group.

Speedrunners, and speedrunning. That is, not merely skipping in cinematics, but charging through the FP as if all the hounds of Hell are chasing the group.

Well, that's how I interpreted it, anyway.

I understood "skipping" to mean "skipping mobs", not "skipping cutscenes", but I see how it could have been meant otherwise.

Does "rushing" in this context mean chainpulling? Ignoring requests to afk or sort out inventory? Refusing to explain fights? Oooooor does it mean "not dawdling pointlessly around the detritus of a completed fight"?

I understood "skipping" to mean "skipping mobs", not "skipping cutscenes", but I see how it could have been meant otherwise.

Does "rushing" in this context mean chainpulling? Ignoring requests to afk or sort out inventory? Refusing to explain fights? Oooooor does it mean "not dawdling pointlessly around the detritus of a completed fight"?

Hard to say. I'd be inclined to say "all of the above, although maybe not actually chainpulling". Whatever it takes to maintain that "as if all the hounds of Hell are chasing them" aspect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "rushers" and "rushing".

Generally speaking, "rushers" not only skip mobs and bonuses, but they also tend to constantly use their Rocket Boost to go even faster.

Personally, I'm almost never in a rush - I'm just as happy to do a total clear - but I'm good either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not responding earlier - I have been "afk" for some days.

Many thanks for these very helpful advices - I will definitely follow them. Asking really never hurts, and I also noticed in the past that many players do understand, and some even like it.

Just to clarify what I mean by rusher/skipper (maybe the words are poorly chosen): for me it is the opposite to completionist. For example, I am a completionist - that is I do everything, every quest, explore every corner - and specifically in relation to op or flashpoint it means that I like to do all the bonus, kill a big part (not all) of the adversaries, listen to the dialogues without skipping.

A Skipper or rusher for me is someone who obviously either doesn´t have much available time to play, or does not really enjoy the "way", but wants to get as quickly as possible to the "goal" - and thus skips content all the way (bonus, sidequests, dialogues etc.). I am not really critizicing this, it is just the opposite of what I like.

My only problem, generally speaking, with having to do every little thing inside an op or FP is that I've done them all countless times already. Why do I want to say, watch all the cutscenes in esseles for the 50,000th time or whatever? Why would I want to say, take the time for a bonus boss thats not worth conquesr points in a max level group?

There are exceptions of course, should it be someones first time and they want to see it and they're otherwise cooperating, fine. But just so that one guy that's also seen it 50,000 times can see it all again for the 50,001th time? No thanks, I'll take my conquest points and move along.

Basically, the content dearth has deeply hit the motivation to repeat the same things over and over and over again. I've done every fp/op/whatever on every class, multiple times over.

But then, I've been told I go too slow for some people too, and I skip every cutscene and only pull necessary mobs. Some people just can't be appeased.

Although I don't mind doing a complete clear, bonus bosses, etc, on occasion, I have to agree with the above poster that watching a cutscene - especially a long one - for the 50th time, can be very tiresome. :(

It's still basically true that doing the FPs in solo mode or with a guild/friend group is the best way to do all the content and watch all cutscenes. Insisting on watching cutscenes is just as unfriendly as spamming "SPACEBAR!". :)

I'm fine with watching the cutscenes for all non-solo FPs, and they also tend not to be dialogue heavy. If I ever do the rakghoul FPs, for instance, I'd like to watch the dialogue for those.

I'm a little more baffled when people insist on watching for like, The Foundry. But aside from telling people to spacebar at the beginning - someone in another thread suggested 'free drinks at the spacebar after the mission' which I've happily appropriated - I don't make a thing of it. In one Foundry run recently, when we got to the first Revan cutscene, everyone claimed they were spacebarring but someone evidently wasn't. The sniper ended up esc the convo to force us to do it again faster, then ragequit when we didn't like that.

I skip mobs wherever I can, with the exception of Athiss. You know the part I mean, along the wall, someone [usually me] always gets /stuck on that sequence. It's easier just to kill the mobs. Also, on Battle of Rishi, there's apparently a way for stealthers to click the consoles without triggering the mobs, but I've never been able to figure it out. Again, just kill the mobs and move on.

Now otoh I had someone during Battle of Ilum who, when asked to skip mobs said 'then how will you level your character?' lol, guy was a 70 too.

Saying something like "free drinks at the spacebar" or "spacebar is your friend" etc are too vague and some people may not even know they can "spacebar". I think that typing (or having a keybind) that says something more specific like "You can press SPACEBAR to skip conversations" can be both helpful and less aggressive.

Saying something like "free drinks at the spacebar" or "spacebar is your friend" etc are too vague and some people may not even know they can "spacebar". I think that typing (or having a keybind) that says something more specific like "You can press SPACEBAR to skip conversations" can be both helpful and less aggressive.

I just keep it simple as "spacebar please" if I say it at all, but maybe I should be saying "to skip conversation" or the like. I agree that being too vague could just cause confusion. Especially if it's a case of a new player who doesn't know.

The one that cracks me up though, is if someone says it along the lines of like "s plz" or something (I forget the actual way I've seen it done, but some kind of shorthand like that) to the point that it's nearly impossible to decipher what they mean unless you already know.

• 2 weeks later...
Generally speaking, "rushers" not only skip mobs and bonuses, but they also tend to constantly use their Rocket Boost to go even faster.

Well then i am rusher. :) Not only i run through FP 'like all the hounds of hell are chasing me", I'm using Rocket Boost constantly too. That's my comfortable tempo, i really enjoy speed runs.

But if someone in group asks for doing bonus or kill some non-necessary mobs i never refuse.

• 1 year later...
I don't know why every flashpoint doesn't have a story mode. You can keep the veterans and such for CXP and bonuses but if I just wanna get through the story I shouldn't have to feel rushed. And others shouldn't have to wait on me to watch a cutscene.

Is there some strategy to avoid rushers, besides calling out at the fleet? I am aware that many fp can be played solo now (which is a great thing).

In addition to what I posted before, let me add:

It depends upon what you mean by rushing, to some extent. All flashpoints have a sort of 'default' way of doing things. That is, there's always some trash mobs that are skipped and/or shortcuts that are taken, and most 'bonus' bosses are skipped because they don't give enough reward for the effort.

If you wish to do the bonus be sure to ask, and accept it if the group doesn't want to do it.

If you are familiar with the particular FP, you should skip the groups that are normally skipped and take the normal shortcuts. If a 'rusher' is skipping or agro'ing, all the trash, try to maintain the usual routine. The 'rusher' will either slow down or rage quit - problem solved either way. 🙂

(Most groups won't kick a player for doing things 'normally' but they don't like a player who just agroes everything.)

Edited by JediQuaker

Hi everyone,

Is there some strategy to avoid rushers, besides calling out at the fleet? I am aware that many fp can be played solo now (which is a great thing). Still, I also want to do some group content.

So any hints are appreciated!

Cheers

Ask as soon as the group is formed. If the majority of the group wants a speed run then leave the group.

Otherwise, create your own group by asking on fleet for other like minded players.