Feedback request from James Ohlen - "Your Star Wars fantasy"

StephenReid

Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?  

3,019 members have voted

1. 1. Which [I]Star Wars[/I] fantasy excites you the most?

• Full 3D space battles
    • Vehicle combat (eg, AT-ATs)
    • Pod/speeder racing
    • Capital ship battles

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Pod/Speeder Racing because I think it would fit with SWTOR the best of the bunch.

That said, I think Capital Ship battles would make the most interesting standalone game, followed by Full 3D Space Combat (or both of them combined in a single game, OMG). The problem with putting these two things in SWTOR is that they're simply too big and would be overly distracting from the core gameplay that makes SWTOR what it is.

Vehicle Combat would probably fit with SWTOR alright (I'm picturing Warzones with vehicles), but it doesn't really interest me.

I voted for 3d space battles, because I really hate the restriction of movement we currently have, unfortunately I couldn't make a an informed vote because I have no Idea what any of the options even entail, I mean capitol ship battle could mean almost anything, some of which Id think where awesome and some of which I would hate,. I realize that this is just the dev team getting a sense for what direction to concentrate their efforts on, yet we cant give meaningful feedback with out at least a bit of detail on what a choice might entail. are any of these things multi player, are they solo, pvp or pve oriented? without that kind of info our feed back will be almost useless.

That being said, all the options have potential, and I encourage the dev team to continue getting input from the community. I only ask that you give us some sense of the ideas you are kicking around that led to the choices in the poll.

Capital ship battles where players had to be gunners, helmsmen, boarding parties, boarding defenders, ect. You could even have a player "captain" that had an overview of the battle and was coordinating everybody else.This would be sweet as a 16 man or more Warzone

I voted for full 3D space battles. It would be nice to have even more granualrity in ship upgrades, and of course multiplayer would be great. It would also be nice to be able to change the external appearance of your vessel (color, decals) and it would be neat if your upgrades changed the external appearance (beefed up blasters, etc.) What about being able to train your crew in space combat skills (gunnery, engineering, etc) so that they have an impact on your performance (ie, a crew with high gunnery improves your blaster rate of fire/accuracy/damge)? Given the prominence of companions in the game I would prefer to get bonuses through crew training rather than just buying upgrades. There is a ton of cool stuff that could be done in this area! Edited by dpwms

Full 3D space battles first and foremost (including exploration - no rails please), but with the future addition of *Capital ship battles.

*Basically, a full Ops group (guild battle perhaps?) board their capital ship where they load into an instance to take on the opposite faction. Once in range, players can man turrets or launch into fighters to take on a mix of npc's and the opposing team (the npc's would be an offset number to balance those that stayed aboard and manned turrets - similar to the ideas suggested for balancing Ilum with npc's).

The goal would be for each team to do "x" amount of damage to the opposing team's capital ship (maybe disabling engines, shields, etc., all the while dealing with fighters and turrets) - the first team to do so would then board the opposing teams ship for massive pvp landing party where another objective (taking over the bridge perhaps) would be the end goal.

The approach above could be scripted as a pure PvE encounter as well (Space Operation).

Full 3D space battles, by a long shot.

Considering Lucas is the current champion of 90's space sims (I think), I hope we can get a transplant of Lucas expertise into SWTOR.

Guild Capitol Ship battles sounds IMO like a malformed idea... (we already have to equip our personal ships for no real purpose except side-themed fun)....

Guild Capitol Ships should be on the Planet Surface, using our characters in OPVP or something like a PvP Operation (guild vs guild challenge).

So Guild Ships would be fun, but as PvP environment. I guess Guild Ships could also fit into a 'full 3d space' simulator naturally.

I kept trying to click that invisible All of the Above option, but I couldn't find it.:rolleyes:

It was tough to narrow it down to one, but the fully 3d space battles gets my vote, with Capital ship battles, Pod/Speeder Racing, and Vehicles very, very close behind in that order.

All of those I'd love to see some day, but the one that tops the list is 3D space combat. I'd actually like more free-form space travel. With limits, of course. I'm not looking to go to every single planet/star/whatever in the galaxy. Something along the lines of SWG, where you can fly relatively freely within the star system.

If not that, though, then 3D space missions would be nice as well, as long as other players could bring their ships in as well.

Well, the fact remains that the development time on these items will probably take at least a year and by then a DX9 game is not going to come off so hot.

This is probably the more important for BW/EA to ask and address.

Massive Hero overhaul to DX11 and further optimizations (eg Hero 2.0). Open World PvP will never see growth until performance is greatly improved to support more players simultaneously.

So ask yourselves instead :

• Space 3d battles
  • Open World PvP

Now try to decide what is more important.

Now maybe EA can task Lucas Arts to work on 'X-Wing4Sw:tor' independantly... now that would rox!

Edited by WLpride

Why do all the options have to do with vehicles? How about adding some more species to the game first? I guess I would vote for vehicle combat so long as my AT-AT looks exactly like a Togruta. Seriously none of those fits my Star Wars fantasy because for me star wars is about the characters and the aliens not necessarily the vehicles.

Can't really be any doubt that full 3d space combat would be fantastic (and hopefully with fighters/bombers and more ships to flesh out the fleets arsenals instead of the few varients we have at the moment) if this entered the game on the same sort of level as the old x-wing vs Tie fighter or X-wing alliance games were I know my sub would be set for life heh ( especially if you give a good story too )

Why do all the options have to do with vehicles? How about adding some more species to the game first? I guess I would vote for vehicle combat so long as my AT-AT looks exactly like a Togruta. Seriously none of those fits my Star Wars fantasy because for me star wars is about the characters and the aliens not necessarily the vehicles.

Duly noted. Now vote for "Full 3D space battles" Go!

I've voted for Pod/Speeder racing cause I had huge fun with a StarWar race game on the Nitendo 64.

But i really would like something to do with my companions. Can we have them as passenger making comments about the race? Would be great!

To all whiners of this thread : the subject of the weekly poll is about vehicle/space game to add one day in Star Wars. that do not mean they are not paying attention to other subject that YOU find more important. Answer the question, and stop to worry.

The poll is not : do you prefer 1.space combat 2.open world PVP 3.LFG tool

Edited by Elloa

I've voted for Pod/Speeder racing cause I had huge fun with a StarWar race game on the Nitendo 64.

But i really would like something to do with my companions. Can we have them as passenger making comments about the race? Would be great!

To all whiners of this thread : the subject of the weekly poll is about vehicle/space game to add one day in Star Wars. that do not mean they are not paying attention to other subject that YOU find more important. Answer the question, and stop to worry.

The poll is not : do you prefer 1.space combat 2.open world PVP 3.LFG tool

Useless...

I threw my vote in for the 3D space combat, but if I had to put an order of merit list for all four, I'd go with:

1. 3D Space Combat* - I still enjoy the space mini-game we have now, and would love to see it expanded.

2. Vehicle Combat* - This would add a new metric to pvp, depending on emplimentation. Pvp based or not, it'd give the quest designers an entirely new toolkit to work with, and more variety in quests is always a good thing.

3. Pod Racing - Never been a fan of racing really, but same as #2, it would provide more tools for the devs to mix up future daily/leveling quests.

4. Capital Ship Combat - Not overly sure about this one. Guild capital ships, a new type of pvp match. Good potential, but not enough back ground on the idea.

* What I'd like to see in the future is a "Pilot/ship talent tree." Another standard 3-tree interface that would allow us to specialize our ships/piloting skills. Have the trees something like: Scout (designed around speed, sheild disrupter) / Brute (laser power, balanced sheild and speed) / Bomber (Sheilds, armor, missle payload). Ditch the ship upgrades and let us build ourselves up. We could recieve pilot experience or points to spend in the trees via fleet comms (also rewarded from vehicle combat).