[PvP Guide] Wakaworld: Your resource for advanced Sith Assassin/Jedi Shadow strategy!

EatenByDistance

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who missed it (i.e. probably everyone not on my server and then some) I did an impromptu steaming marathon last night with some friends. No commentary (tried in the beginning, was way too distracted) but hey, you still get my eclectic music tastes for six hours!

When not trolling I consider myself a very modest person, but if I do say so myself there is some absolutely monstrous assassining on display here. I may do some voiceovers on certain parts in the near future but you can/hopefully infer a lot of my strategy and ideas by watching what I have right now.

It is nearly six hours, but I promise its very much worth it to watch even a little. There isn't a long wait between queue pops and I barely did any node guarding. Also the chat might be fun to read huehuehue

http://www.twitch.tv/wifileague/b/354160869

Not yet but either way, they wont offer the same sustained power as using normal EWH relics. Its just not worth it for a few seconds buff

I have the black hole pve relic. I'll do some testing on a target dummy. You're right that it probably won't add to sustained dps but it could help in burst situations. I'll let you know how it goes.

Why is your expertise so low?

I prefer the massive increase in mainstat over the PvP armorings. After a lot of experimentation I have found that it simply works better for me, regardless of my enemies' expertise ratings. It is personal preference, but I can with absolute certainty that I always do best when it is so "low."

I wouldn't go much lower than 1150 though, for dps assassin anyways.

ALSO I UPDATED MY ARMORY SO CHECK IT OUT

also I posted a thread in 4 subforums yesterday (this one, shadow subforum, PvP subforum, and The Bastion's subforum) about why DPS assassins can be good in rateds. Has some important points that relate to the class as a whole and how you should play it in PvP so I strongly suggest reading it. I will add its 2300-word content to this guide once the actual threads die out.

Edited by EatenByDistance

I prefer the massive increase in mainstat over the PvP armorings. After a lot of experimentation I have found that it simply works better for me, regardless of my enemies' expertise ratings. It is personal preference, but I can with absolute certainty that I always do best when it is so "low."

I wouldn't go much lower than 1150 though, for dps assassin anyways.

ALSO I UPDATED MY ARMORY SO CHECK IT OUT

also I posted a thread in 4 subforums yesterday (this one, shadow subforum, PvP subforum, and The Bastion's subforum) about why DPS assassins can be good in rateds. Has some important points that relate to the class as a whole and how you should play it in PvP so I strongly suggest reading it. I will add its 2300-word content to this guide once the actual threads die out.

I read your 4 pillars of assassin dps post, how I was lead here so I read your post. Pretty good read and very informative. Ty for posting it as I didn't feel like searching for these guides and i'm always downt o learn more about playing classes I like.

Don't you feel you're a little too squishy though without the insulation talent and so low of expertise? You're in like medium armor with the procs up blackout is a good defensive cd but I feel the whole 24 seconds of up time only really shines in a 1v1 situation and you have to blow quite a few cool downs for it.

Don't you feel you're a little too squishy though without the insulation talent and so low of expertise? You're in like medium armor with the procs up blackout is a good defensive cd but I feel the whole 24 seconds of up time only really shines in a 1v1 situation and you have to blow quite a few cool downs for it.

nope.

I do not know when you started playing your assassin Xerain, but I know that people who have been playing the class for a long time, such as Waka, Shin, and myself, are used to the spec being even squishier. Those of us who stubbornly clung to Decep builds pre 1.4 played the squishiest class in the game bar none. It was basically a melee sorc without the bubble. When we got buffed in 1.4, we held on to the tricks that we learned from the old days. Playing smartly can really reduce the damage you take. There are days when I feel like a full tank playing this build when I compare to what it used to be. And there are times where I'm a solo defender against 4-5 enemies, and while I do die, I surprise even myself how long it takes me to go down. If you have not watched Shin's latest Acumen video, I highly recommend it, as she talks about some good tricks to keep yourself safe.

I do not know when you started playing your assassin Xerain, but I know that people who have been playing the class for a long time, such as Waka, Shin, and myself, are used to the spec being even squishier. Those of us who stubbornly clung to Decep builds pre 1.4 played the squishiest class in the game bar none. It was basically a melee sorc without the bubble. When we got buffed in 1.4, we held on to the tricks that we learned from the old days. Playing smartly can really reduce the damage you take. There are days when I feel like a full tank playing this build when I compare to what it used to be. And there are times where I'm a solo defender against 4-5 enemies, and while I do die, I surprise even myself how long it takes me to go down. If you have not watched Shin's latest Acumen video, I highly recommend it, as she talks about some good tricks to keep yourself safe.

I've had my sin a long time and only every played tankasin if I did play it. When I did spec deception it was just frustrating because you'd die so stupid easily so I always said screw it and wouldn't spec back for a while. I recently got into playing deception more heavily with the buffs because it's more so what I made the character for and it's a ton more fun. I shall watch said video for a few pointers on how to go.

back to the whole squishyness thing.I run around on the marauder with medium armor and I feel quite squishy without cooldowns up and I know the pain of not having any defensive CD's up for a fight and how much it can hurt. It just seems like you're subjecting yourself to a lot more extra damage than you should be taking.

About the new armory, I see you put a lot of Power augments and still gets 200 crit rating to keep 30% crit chance. From my experience, I get higher Bonus Damage (and same crit chance) by sticking to Willpower augments and take less crits mods (~150 rating).

About the new armory, I see you put a lot of Power augments and still gets 200 crit rating to keep 30% crit chance. From my experience, I get higher Bonus Damage (and same crit chance) by sticking to Willpower augments and take less crits mods (~150 rating).

I do have a thing for higher bonus damage. When I get some spare credits I might have to try that.

Set bonus should be Stalker for Deception/23/1/17 hybrid. Madness specs want Force Master.

I looked through the responses to this and only saw one mention in comments re: the Master Force set bonus. Is Master Force really the way to go here?

The reduced CD on Crushing Darkness is meaningless for Madness assassins (because of Raze), so all we're talking about is the healing. .5% healing from Crushing Darkness ticks doesn't seem like it would be significant to the current WZ environment. (The healing seems too slow and too little to be meaningful.) On the other hand, 3 stacks of recklessness seems super beneficial: Death Field, Shock, Crushing Darkness, and Force Lightning all have at least some role in Madness play.

I'm wondering if there's a sin out there who's tried both? I've always stuck to the Stalker bonus: has anyone found Master Force to really outshine the additional recklessness charge and reduced CD?

I looked through the responses to this and only saw one mention in comments re: the Master Force set bonus. Is Master Force really the way to go here?

I used the Force-Master's set for a while (cannibalised my Sage's gear to get something for my baby Assassin to wear), and personally I didn't find the set bonus that useful while playing Madness. It felt like drops in the ocean - I'd take the Stalker set bonus over it since it's useful for pretty much all our specs.

I'm tempted to try the PVE Stalker set bonus though (+15% Thrash crit chance), some of my friends swear by it. Not sure if I can stand wearing the ugly, ugly Tionese set though.

The reduced CD on Crushing Darkness is meaningless for Madness assassins (because of Raze), so all we're talking about is the healing. .5% healing from Crushing Darkness ticks doesn't seem like it would be significant to the current WZ environment. (The healing seems too slow and too little to be meaningful.) On the other hand, 3 stacks of recklessness seems super beneficial: Death Field, Shock, Crushing Darkness, and Force Lightning all have at least some role in Madness play.

I'm wondering if there's a sin out there who's tried both? I've always stuck to the Stalker bonus: has anyone found Master Force to really outshine the additional recklessness charge and reduced CD?

I have ran 3 set bonuses with my full madness/hybrid builds. Stalker, the healing bonus, and the PvE force mystic for the 50 force. The healing bonus is kind of useful but due to the squish factor is eh, stalker is nice if you like nailing 3 death fields for 4.5k on 3 targets, the 50 force is kind of good but not for madness because force management is not that big of a deal. Currently I am working on the stalker PvE set for the 15% crit chance to thrash since I run full power (almost 1400) and well madness revolves around thrash and procs.

Also lightning for madness? I only use FL when running 27/0/14 but thats just me.

I'd love to see a sniper dueling video, I find them the hardest class to beat with this spec.

Break Line of Sight. That is the key to beating any sniper (I have both an assassin and a sniper so I know this from both sides of the fight). The sniper has long casts, even when they get procs to speed it up, so choose your location and approach accordingly. Use cloak and stuns when they try to ambush so you avoid the knockback.

Additional Recklessness charge really isn't worth it for Madness. The crit on Crushing Darkness isn't that notable and you don't care about Shock damage at all. Death Field is nice, but Stalker is to help your burst and Force Master is much better in that regard.

The sustain may seem small but given your other small heals it can really add up in the big sustained encounters where you would want to use this spec. Using Stalker isn't terrible but I wouldn't advise it.

I'd love to see a sniper dueling video, I find them the hardest class to beat with this spec.

May or may not be able to get around to this. If I don't do it within the week I'll be updating the guide shortly thereafter to include tips and stuff on things I would normally talk about in videos (won't be able to make videos/stream when I go back to college on Sunday).

but I will try to get it done

Dueling sniper is super simple, even if you can't win there's nothing complicated about it.

In madness you dot then Los, or even better you just stay Los and hit him by placing DF so your aoe can hit while still Los. In anything else you just pop in, fire an instant and Los before he can finish his cast timer.

If there's just open space, your best bet is darkness but you may still lose. Use your stealth when he hits entrench and wait it out, then use kb pull stun and interrupt to make sure he doesn't finish a cast.

going back to college in a few hours, no more streaming/videos for quite awhile probs.

In my free time I will do my best to update this guide with written stuff though. Here's what's on my to-do list:

-Written dueling guides for snipers/operatives, possibly written guides for all other ACs even though I have videos for them

-Extensive tips/tricks/things to note for warzone play

-Rewrite large sections of guide to make it more professional/less crass

-Gear guides for tank/madness

-In-depth guide on assassin talent trees and abilities

I'm planning on being pretty busy this semester doing a variety of irl stuff. That takes precedence to a ToR guide. So don't expect all (or most of, tbh) of this stuff to be out in the next few weeks or anything like that. But I will get around to it, I just need to find the time/motivation to do so. I just hope I can pump the content out before the expansion screws up everything and I need to rewrite the entire guide lol

If you have any things you'd like to see added to the guide in the future that I haven't mentioned above or can't answer in a brief post feel free to leave a suggestion in the thread.

p.s. made video for sorc/bounty hunter dueling but can't find it dunno if it got deleted if it did I'll make written guide along with the other stuff eventually

Edited by EatenByDistance

For a few months i was running 0/27/14 for pve having a lot of fun, but something was always bothering me. This something was that i couldn't proc induction with death field or discharge without hitting thrash (which i hate to use) and also it was frustrated to wait for the long cooldowns of df and discharge so bye bye burst. Eventually when i decided to do some tests myself, i ended up to the conclusion that i was not only loosing burst but also was loosing damage too.

So in order to see if its something going wrong or its just me, i tried some parses on the ops dummy using waka's 0/27/14 spec and the 2/31/8 chain shock for 7min on the first one and 10min on the second one. This is what i found out:

With the 0/27/14 spec

I used 80 times thrash, causing 43.438 total damage and having 542,98 avg damage.

I used 24 times DF, causing 44.614 total damage and having 1.858,92 avg damage.

With the 2/31/8 spec

I used 238 times VS, causing 143.330 total damage and having 602,23 avg damage. Plus that with this spec i had more dps in total and faster discharge cooldown due to 2 points on recirculation. Even if the parse was in 7min like the other one, it wouldn't matter. Again VS would cause much more damage than both DF and thrash together.

As it seems VS is essential not only to sustain your burst damage, but it also causes much more damage in total and procs and stacks induction immediately and always. All this time i wanted to believe that death field was op against voltaic slash and i was so WRONG.

Please do some parses on your own and share your results. Once more i must say that pve is my interest so for pve was my tests. Maybe for pvp it works different i don't know.

P.S. Adding 2 points on entropic field stacks with sith defiance or not?

For a few months i was running 0/27/14 for pve having a lot of fun, but something was always bothering me. This something was that i couldn't proc induction with death field or discharge without hitting thrash (which i hate to use) and also it was frustrated to wait for the long cooldowns of df and discharge so bye bye burst. Eventually when i decided to do some tests myself, i ended up to the conclusion that i was not only loosing burst but also was loosing damage too.

So in order to see if its something going wrong or its just me, i tried some parses on the ops dummy using waka's 0/27/14 spec and the 2/31/8 chain shock for 7min on the first one and 10min on the second one. This is what i found out:

With the 0/27/14 spec

I used 80 times thrash, causing 43.438 total damage and having 542,98 avg damage.

I used 24 times DF, causing 44.614 total damage and having 1.858,92 avg damage.

With the 2/31/8 spec

I used 238 times VS, causing 143.330 total damage and having 602,23 avg damage. Plus that with this spec i had more dps in total and faster discharge cooldown due to 2 points on recirculation. Even if the parse was in 7min like the other one, it wouldn't matter. Again VS would cause much more damage than both DF and thrash together.

As it seems VS is essential not only to sustain your burst damage, but it also causes much more damage in total and procs and stacks induction immediately and always. All this time i wanted to believe that death field was op against voltaic slash and i was so WRONG.

Please do some parses on your own and share your results. Once more i must say that pve is my interest so for pve was my tests. Maybe for pvp it works different i don't know.

P.S. Adding 2 points on entropic field stacks with sith defiance or not?

It has been made clear multiple times over that this is a pure pvp spec/thread/guide. It was never about pve. Most hybrids do not work well in pve, this is no exception.

It has been made clear multiple times over that this is a pure pvp spec/thread/guide. It was never about pve. Most hybrids do not work well in pve, this is no exception.

Didn't knew this, thanks for the info. Hope a good guide to be made for pve too.